PDA

View Full Version : Cigarettes cost Five Bucks a pack.....

PPHSfan
07-28-2009, 10:37 PM
Smoke two packs a day and it costs 300 bucks a month.

Affordable Health Insurance for an individual costs about the same amount.

Ever stood outside the Emergency Room at the hospital?

You know, where all the smokers stand while waiting on the nurse to call their name.

Yes, the Emergency Room, aka the place where those without insurance go to see the doctor.

:hand: :hand: :hand:

BaseballUmp
07-28-2009, 10:42 PM
yea the price of cigarettes has been good for me...its made me slow down alot.

if they keep getting higher, maybe ill eventually stop lol

WOS87
07-28-2009, 10:56 PM
Ummm.... as a physician who has to take care of all of those people in the ER...

STOP SMOKING!

rockdale80
07-28-2009, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan

You know, where all the smokers stand while waiting on the nurse to call their name.

Yes, the Emergency Room, aka the place where those without insurance go to see the doctor.

I have insurance. Can I smoke at the ER?

SintonFan
07-28-2009, 11:07 PM
So nobody should ever smoke a legal product? I'm not talking about "huffing" or anything like that. But smoking a cig is legal... and legalized extortion, based on taxes imho...:hand:

PPHSfan
07-28-2009, 11:10 PM
You can smoke all you want. I'm just amazed at how many people that Can't afford insurance, CAN afford cigarettes.

rockdale80
07-28-2009, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
So nobody should ever smoke a legal product? I'm not talking about "huffing" or anything like that. But smoking a cig is legal... and legalized extortion, based on taxes imho...:hand:

Hey, we agree on something. :)

SintonFan
07-28-2009, 11:13 PM
Beer and whiskey are next!
More legalized extortion.:doh:

TexasHSFB
07-28-2009, 11:14 PM
You can smoke all you want. I'm just amazed at how many people that Can't afford insurance, CAN afford cigarettes. Ditto. My mom used to bitch about money for all sorts of things but between her and my step dad they could afford 3 packs a day of cigs. Thankfully they've both quit. :rolleyes:

Emerson1
07-28-2009, 11:15 PM
You can smoke all you want. I'm just amazed at how many people that Can't afford insurance, CAN afford cigarettes.
I had to hear this lady bitch EVERY day in one of my classes about being behind on bills, and she always smelled like smoke.

SintonFan
07-28-2009, 11:17 PM
Yes but cigs are addicting, insurance IS NOT a right or even addicting.
I still enjoy smoking my cigs(before/after meals, bonuses, driving, secksual stations or tensions lol). It now cost me $160 a month and I smoke about a pack or less a day... legalized extortion(because you people never will speak up for our rights even if you disagree with it:( ).

turbostud
07-28-2009, 11:18 PM
Beer and whiskey are next!
More legalized extortion.:doh:

They should just legalize pot.
Let the tobacco farmers turn their fields into pot farms.
Let the cigarette companies start manufacturing marijuana cigarettes.
And tax the crap out of it.

That way the tobacco farmers, cigarette companies, and the IRS all stay in business.

I'd vote for it.

PPHSfan
07-28-2009, 11:20 PM
I hear methamphetamine is addicting too. I'm glad I was smart enough to listen and not ever try it.

WOS87
07-28-2009, 11:20 PM
I just admitted someone today who somehow could afford $8000 per month for narcotic painkillers yet was complaining about his $20 a day rent (that's $600/month) at the halfway house he was living in

TexasHSFB
07-28-2009, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by turbostud

That way the tobacco farmers, cigarette companies, and the IRS all stay in business.

I'd vote for it. Not to mention pot wouldn't be a petty crime anymore.

turbostud
07-28-2009, 11:21 PM
I hear methamphetamine is addicting too. I'm glad I was smart enough to listen and not ever try it.

Jeremy Mayfield wasnt.

SintonFan
07-28-2009, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by turbostud

I'd vote for it.
Pot kills your brain much faster and is the only reason Twinkies are still legal. That and Twinkies are the only food that will survive a nuclear war.:D :p :hand:

TexasHSFB
07-28-2009, 11:28 PM
Pot kills your brain much faster and is the only reason Twinkies are still legal. That and Twinkies are the only food that will survive a nuclear war.:D :p :hand: Alcohol kills your liver much faster. Obviously drunks don't care. Pretty sure the pot heads don't care about what happens to their brains. Just saying.

PPHSfan
07-28-2009, 11:28 PM
Pot kills your brain much faster and is the only reason Twinkies are still legal. That and Twinkies are the only food that will survive a nuclear war.:D :p :hand:

Most pot smokers don't smoke 40 joints a day. And I'm sure the good doctor will tell you that cigarettes kill a whole lot more people than pot does.

But this thread is not about pot. It's about how can people afford to smoke cigarettes, and not afford insurance.:doh:

SintonFan
07-28-2009, 11:30 PM
Most pot smokers don't smoke 40 joints a day. And I'm sure the good doctor will tell you that cigarettes kill a whole lot more people than pot does.

But this thread is not about pot. It's about how can people afford to smoke cigarettes, and not afford insurance.:doh:
I didn't change the subject... I was responding. lol:D

SintonFan
07-28-2009, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by TexasHSFB
Alcohol kills your liver much faster. Obviously drunks don't care. Pretty sure the pot heads don't care about what happens to their brains. Just saying.
Show me a person without a brain or liver and I'll show you a person on Obama Care.:D :p

SintonFan
07-28-2009, 11:38 PM
The fact is cigs ARE legal but because of popular opinion... Beer and whiskey are next to be extorted because of their "inherent" vices.
I predicted a long time ago the "prude age" would come back, but I never thought folks would ask the government to reduce or get rid of unpopular legal activities... unless they(voters) never thought out the process of getting rid of their own rights. :thinking: :thinking: :nerd:

PPHSfan
07-28-2009, 11:40 PM
So why do you think that a lot of people can afford cigarettes, but not insurance?

SintonFan
07-28-2009, 11:42 PM
So why do you think that a lot of people can afford cigarettes, but not insurance?
Because insurance is not mandatory... and it shouldn't be...
it's a choice for grown ups.:D

PPHSfan
07-28-2009, 11:46 PM
Because insurance is not mandatory... and it shouldn't be...
it's a choice for grown ups.:D

I never said it was mandatory. I'm just wondering why some can't afford it.

BTW insurance is mandatory to drive. If I couldn't afford it, would I be able to get somebody to help me with it?

SintonFan
07-28-2009, 11:50 PM
I never said it was mandatory. I'm just wondering why some can't afford it.

BTW insurance is mandatory to drive. If I couldn't afford it, would I be able to get somebody to help me with it?
Car insurance is as much to protect lenders as it is to protect injuries... :razz: lol:D
Health insurance should not be as mandatory as smoking is illegal in public places.;)

SintonFan
07-28-2009, 11:53 PM
gni yall

Footballhudini
07-29-2009, 02:41 AM

not as addicting as tobacco

rancher
07-29-2009, 07:00 AM
Smokem it you got um. Remember all the tax on them is for the children. Smoke up. I dont care if they go to $100 a pack. We need it for health care and the children.

Farmersfan
07-29-2009, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by rancher
Smokem it you got um. Remember all the tax on them is for the children. Smoke up. I dont care if they go to $100 a pack. We need it for health care and the children.

I find it very revealing that you are ok with people paying 100 a pack on cigarettes but you are willing to sell the farm to Mutual of Obamaha because they can't afford insurance. Do you not realize these are the same people? I think it all comes back to the fact that most people who don't have insurance consider it a luxury that comes second behind the big screens, nice cars, cell phones and, of course, cigarettes.

Pudlugger
07-29-2009, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by WOS87
I just admitted someone today who somehow could afford $8000 per month for narcotic painkillers yet was complaining about his $20 a day rent (that's $600/month) at the halfway house he was living in

Dude, man, it's like some people have priorities, ya' know man. Like whatever. Pass the dubby man. cough, cough....
dude, why am I coughing up blood man? [maybe they're putting too much uranium in these cigs man.] Whatever. How long do I need to wait here to see the doc man? Like it's been hours....

rancher
07-29-2009, 08:45 AM
Make the tax as high as we can get it to help pay for health care. We also need to tax the hell out liquior, beer and wine as well. Not a problem for me, I will not be affected.

Pudlugger
07-29-2009, 09:10 AM
Make the tax as high as we can get it to help pay for health care. We also need to tax the hell out liquior, beer and wine as well. Not a problem for me, I will not be affected.

This is a bedrock liberal ethos, tax the other guy just not me. Nice.

crzyjournalist03
07-29-2009, 09:35 AM
For what it's worth, if I didn't have to, I wouldn't pay for car insurance. I'd rather foot the bill for someone when I make a mistake than pay the equivalent of a mistake over 10 years that I never made. But that's just me.

Farmersfan
07-29-2009, 09:38 AM

Au contraire, mon frère.

You will be affected. The same as all of us will be effected. Ask yourself where the line is drawn. If liquior, beer, wine and cigarettes can be taxed because they are luxuries and have a negative impact on our healthcare costs then how about sporting events? All outdoor activites also increase the chances of injury which therefore should be taxed to help healthcare costs. We need to impliment a strong tax for high school sports because they are completely unnecessary and are a drag on our healthcare system.
Do I need to go on? Every single person has a vice or a hobby that others might consider to be unimportant so assuming you will not be affected is a little naive. You might not be directly affected by this round of taxes but you very well could be by the next round after we set this precedent. Hindsight will be too late. Foresight is required. Can you look forward?

pirate4state
07-29-2009, 09:38 AM
You can smoke all you want. I'm just amazed at how many people that Can't afford insurance, CAN afford cigarettes. Obviously they can afford it, they just choose to afford something else! ;)

Farmersfan
07-29-2009, 09:45 AM
My wife indicated about a month ago that she felt she needed a new car because her 4X4 dodge was getting up to about 150K miles. I sat her down and calculated for her that she was spending a car payment on cigarettes every month. She quit the next day and so far hasn't started back. I am quite proud of her to say the least.

DDBooger
07-29-2009, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
My wife indicated about a month ago that she felt she needed a new car because her 4X4 dodge was getting up to about 150K miles. I sat her down and calculated for her that she was spending a car payment on cigarettes every month. She quit the next day and so far hasn't started back. I am quite proud of her to say the least. May have saved her life too, good job.

rockdale80
07-29-2009, 10:04 AM

WOW....As a good democrat how can you support a "sin" tax? ;)

IrishTex
07-29-2009, 10:08 AM
I don't mean to preach, and when I used to smoke, by the second sentence of someone like me explaining the horrors of smoking, I had already tuned them out.

I smoked for 40 years. I got up every morning thinking I was pretty much bullet-proof.

1 year ago I had a heart attack. My artery had constricted by my smoking and plaque build up, the blood couldn't get through to my heart. Thank God I made it to the hospital. I quit smoking on July 15, 2008. I still dream about smoking...but there is no way in Hades I will ever smoke that poison again.

NOw I wake up and sometimes my chest has pains....after two stents and angioplasty, there are times I wonder if my next heart beat will be my last.

Now you can go ahead and continue to smoke and blow off good advice (pun intended) but when you hear an ER doctor say you are having a heart attack, please know I tried to tell you this.

Good luck, stop the madness. Stop smoking.

rancher
07-29-2009, 10:11 AM
Let those with the vice pay for it till it hurts. We already have a tax on high school sports, called a property tax in the State of Texas. The fix is in on this tax, it goes up each year.

Pudlugger
07-29-2009, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by IrishTex
I don't mean to preach, and when I used to smoke, by the second sentence of someone like me explaining the horrors of smoking, I had already tuned them out.

I smoked for 40 years. I got up every morning thinking I was pretty much bullet-proof.

1 year ago I had a heart attack. My artery had constricted by my smoking and plaque build up, the blood couldn't get through to my heart. Thank God I made it to the hospital. I quit smoking on July 15, 2008. I still dream about smoking...but there is no way in Hades I will ever smoke that poison again.

NOw I wake up and sometimes my chest has pains....after two stents and angioplasty, there are times I wonder if my next heart beat will be my last.

Now you can go ahead and continue to smoke and blow off good advice (pun intended) but when you hear an ER doctor say you are having a heart attack, please know I tried to tell you this.

Good luck, stop the madness. Stop smoking.

Well said. Thank you and G-d bless you.

I too smoked when I was in college. I smoked a couple of packs a day. I remember smoking in class as back then it was cool and the profs smoked too. I now feel very guilty that I was so uncaring about others to do that. I quit when I was 24 after 6 years. I'm going to be 63 next month and thankfully I have no evidence of coronary heart disease or vascular disease.

BTW, I too still smoke in my dreams from time to time. I wake up in horror and am greatly relieved to realize I remain a non-smoker in reality. What kind of addiction is it that remains so embedded in one's consciousness that after 39 years one still dreams of smoking? I urge anyone who smokes to pay the price of withdrawal and quit smoking now before it is too late.
Good medical advice at no charge.

Emerson1
07-29-2009, 10:35 AM
I bet a lot of people on welfare find the money to smoke too

rockdale80
07-29-2009, 10:43 AM
Let those with the vice pay for it till it hurts. We already have a tax on high school sports, called a property tax in the State of Texas. The fix is in on this tax, it goes up each year.

So based on your statement, anything that can be harmful should be taxed? Is that accurate?

Farmersfan
07-29-2009, 10:43 AM
My wife tells me that she "Misses" smoking but doesn't crave it. I tell her she must be interpreting her addiction wrong but she swears it's a mental thing. She says her mind wants a cigarette, not her body............weird huh?

STANG RED
07-29-2009, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I bet a lot of people on welfare find the money to smoke too

I was recently in line behind a very young mother at the store. She spent about $30 welfare money on mostly junk food, then pulled out a $20 bill and spent it all on smokes and scratch offs. The whole time, she and the clerk were heaping praises on the almighty king Obama. I thought my head was going to explode in rage.:mad:

rockdale80
07-29-2009, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I was recently in line behind a very young mother at the store. She spent about $30 welfare money on mostly junk food, then pulled out a $20 bill and spent it all on smokes and scratch offs. The whole time, she and the clerk were heaping praises on the almighty king Obama. I thought my head was going to explode in rage.:mad:

Would you have been as upset 10 months ago and they were heaping praise to GB, or would you have joined in hoisting him up? The only reason most of you guys are pissed off is because the other guy won. The exact same issues have faced us for the last few years and are not new, yet there was never a thread started bitching about this or that.....

It tells me that these issues only matter when your party isnt in control. Dont get me wrong, some of you stood up, but not nearly as much as you are now.

Farmersfan
07-29-2009, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by rockdale80
Would you have been as upset 10 months ago and they were heaping praise to GB, or would you have joined in hoisting him up? The only reason most of you guys are pissed off is because the other guy won. The exact same issues have faced us for the last few years and are not new, yet there was never a thread started bitching about this or that.....

It tells me that these issues only matter when your party isnt in control. Dont get me wrong, some of you stood up, but not nearly as much as you are now.

You are hilarious! You justify your support for YOUR guy with statements about how bad things are now but then accuse people of being biased in their complaints about things being bad now. You can't have it both ways. Regardless of WHO caused it things are far worse now than they were in the past so of course more people are going to be complaining about it. It's called common sense. You should try it!

Ranger Mom
07-29-2009, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by rockdale80

I remember making a post about this exact thing (food stamp FRAUD) a couple of years ago....I assure you STANG RED was just as pissed then as he is now.

Why must you ALWAYS make EVERYTHING a "party" thing???

DDBooger
07-29-2009, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I remember making a post about this exact thing (food stamp FRAUD) a couple of years ago....I assure you STANG RED was just as pissed then as he is now.

Why must you ALWAYS make EVERYTHING a "party" thing??? the same reason every thread turns into an Obama thing perhaps? Or Hussein Obama or some other wordplay with his name. Using anecdotal incidents to explain the larger picture is as stupid as me saying all businessmen are crooks because they supported Bush and so did Ken Lay. Are there incidents of welfare abuse, absolutely, but again, the $20 that one person wastes or even the multitudes of those who abuse it pale in comparison to those who purposely do it for the gains that are assured through blackmail capitalism that the banks enjoy.

Sort of like those who took out loans that were out of their budget, fine, evict them. How are the banks that did so treated? With bonuses totaling in the billions and lines of credit extended by the govt that we can't ask about. A practice extended irregardless of party. So save your anger. There is far more nefarious occuring above your head then below your feet.

Ranger Mom
07-29-2009, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by DDBooger
the same reason every thread turns into an Obama thing perhaps? Or Hussein Obama or some other wordplay with his name. Using anecdotal incidents to explain the larger picture is as stupid as me saying all businessmen are crooks because they supported Bush and so did Ken Lay. Are there incidents of welfare abuse, absolutely, but again, the $20 that one person wastes or even the multitudes of those who abuse it pale in comparison to those who purposely do it for the gains that are assured through blackmail capitalism that the banks enjoy.

Sort of like those who took out loans that were out of their budget, fine, evict them. How are the banks that did so treated? With bonuses totaling in the billions and lines of credit extended by the govt that we can't ask about. A practice extended irregardless of party. So save your anger. There is far more nefarious occuring above your head then below your feet.

Umm...I'm sorry!!

I could have sworn I was quoting Rockdale80!

DDBooger
07-29-2009, 11:36 AM
Umm...I'm sorry!!

I could have sworn I was quoting Rockdale80! I could have sworn this thread was open to everyone? Was Rockdale responding to you?

Phantom Stang
07-29-2009, 11:41 AM

You mean all uninsured folks smoke cigarettes??!!:eek:

Assuming that to be true, then wouldn't it make sense to repeal all taxes on tobacco products? I mean, if these folks didn't have to spend so much for a habit they're never going to give up, then they would be able to afford health insurance. Their participation in the system would also help to reduce insurance prices for everyone else.:nerd:

rockdale80
07-29-2009, 11:46 AM

Why must you ALWAYS make EVERYTHING a "party" thing???

Really? You are saying this to me after all of the party slamming that has gone on the past few weeks. Dont try to make me sound like the bad guy for refuting the ignorance and point out the hypocrisy.

Footballhudini
07-29-2009, 11:46 AM
i love politics

booger is the man btw

pirate4state
07-29-2009, 11:48 AM
I could have sworn this thread was open to everyone? Was Rockdale responding to you? LOL

Ranger Mom
07-29-2009, 11:54 AM
I could have sworn this thread was open to everyone? Was Rockdale responding to you?

No...but I quoted him and asked him a direct question....and you answered it!:)