PDA

View Full Version : Taylor Potts

Trashman
07-28-2009, 09:59 PM
Mike Leach's view of the spread offense initially was anything but clear to Taylor Potts.

Soon after Potts arrived at Texas Tech, he embarked on a freshman season characterized by a dizzying array of new concepts and nomenclature. It was a steep learning curve that initially had his head spinning as he received a crash course in Leach's demands to grasp his offensive philosophy.

"When I first got here, everything was different. The names of the routes were different, and it was almost like I was learning a foreign language," Potts said. "But now, after being here almost three years, I feel like I'm finally fluent in it.

"Sometimes I take it for granted because it comes so easily. But after you've learned it for a year or so, it comes simply, and everything becomes pretty clear the more you are exposed to it."

The biggest reason for Potts' transformation has come from working with Leach, who has been using his "Air Raid" spread offense since his arrival at Texas Tech in 2000.

"Our coaches have the ability to break down an offense and make it as simple as possible," Potts said. "There are some complicated things that go with it, but nothing too complicated.

"It's basically just breaking things down, knowing them, and then being able to recognize and realize what I'm supposed to do. At quarterback, our system is based on being able to see things and then react without thinking. And that's what makes us so successful."

That might be an understatement. In eight of the past nine seasons, a Texas Tech quarterback has led the nation in passing. And in 2006, Graham Harrell was second.

Kliff Kingsbury, B.J. Symons and Harrell claimed the Sammy Baugh Trophy as the nation's top passer and all were Heisman Trophy contenders during their senior seasons.

Harrell left after last season with an NCAA-record 134 career touchdown passes. During his Texas Tech career, he became the first player in FBS history to pass for more than 5,000 yards in more than one season.

Leach's teaching skills were best illustrated from 2003 to 2005, when a new starting quarterback was plugged in each season with Symons, Sonny Cumbie and Cody Hodges taking snaps for Texas Tech. All the one-season senior starters for the Red Raiders passed for at least 4,197 yards with a 64.4 percent completion percentage and at least 31 touchdowns as the Red Raiders went 8-5, 8-4 and 9-3 during that three-season span.

Those numbers are a pretty good indicator that familiarity with Leach's system trains a senior quarterback for productivity when he receives his chance -- even without much previous playing experience.

"Part of it is Coach Leach coaching you up as a quarterback, and then when you get the chance, you're ready for the opportunity," Cumbie said.

Cumbie might be the best example. He arrived in college as a walk-on from tiny Snyder (Texas) High School with little experience in spread offenses. He played in a wing-T offense in high school and seldom threw in that run-based offense, even though he was coached in high school by David Baugh, son of legendary Hall of Fame quarterback Sammy Baugh.

Coming to Texas Tech gave Cumbie the opportunity to learn for several years as he watched Kingsbury and Symons progress in the system. When he received his playing opportunity as a senior, he made the most of it by throwing for a nation-leading 4,742 yards and 32 touchdown passes as he led the Red Raiders to an 8-4 season capped with a Holiday Bowl triumph over California.

After three years of Harrell, some might expect a big regression with Potts operating Leach's offense. But his familiarity with the offense gives him a good chance for success, just like Symons, Cumbie and Hodges.

Leach has already anointed Potts the starting quarterback even before preseason practice has begun.

"He's a great student of the game and further along than most guys I've had," Leach said. "Taylor is a smart, talented guy, and he's followed Graham, who provided him with a great example. I think he'll be ready when he has his chance."

The Texas Tech quarterbacks over the years typically have followed a specific pattern of development in Leach's offense.

"The most important thing is you have to be accurate with the football and a good decision-maker -- really being decisive," Cumbie said. "Those are really 1A and 1B in what we do. Then, you have to be a guy who really studies film. But all of those guys have basically all had the same talents and just polished them up the longer they are there."

The major reason for their success was their proficiency operating Leach's spread offense, which the coach claims is no big deal.

"I've never thought of it as rocket science," Leach said. "What you try to do is blend your coaching with the player as tightly as you can. A player gets more comfortable with as they work with it, and you improve with your teaching with them as you go along."

It also helps to have a quarterback with the skills to flourish in Leach's spread offense.

"Basically, we want our quarterbacks to make good decisions, have quick feet and a knack for making the people around him better," Leach said. "That's always what I'm looking for when I'm trying to find a quarterback."

Those rather general terms aren't that different from most other teams' requirements.

"It's not like this stuff hasn't been run before," Leach said. "People ask me if it's something new, but it's not really unique. Maybe it's organized in a unique way, but all of our stuff has been run before."

Repetition and extensive film work build the framework for that growth. The quarterbacks then are schooled in every element of Leach's offense before they get their shot at playing time.

That immersion in his offense is bolstered by the incredible freedom that Leach provides his quarterbacks once they take control of the offense. After such extensive preparation, Leach obviously feels comfortable that his players will be an extension of his coaching philosophy on the field because of all the time they have spent learning his system.

Kingsbury remembers that Leach's philosophy was different from anything he had ever experienced.

"As we were learning the system, Coach Leach basically gives the quarterback the ability to call almost any play that you want," Kingsbury said. "I hadn't seen anything like that, where a coach would give you the freedom to check at almost any place on the field. As a college kid, getting that responsibility was very impressive."

And as he became accustomed to Leach's offense, that confidence helped embolden Kingsbury to become a better quarterback, he said.

"To give you that kind of responsibility, you have to feel comfortable in what you are doing," Kingsbury said. "And I think it really helps a quarterback in their development to have that."

Similar self-belief appears to have been nurtured with Potts, who appears ready to continue in Texas Tech's long line of productive quarterbacks once he gets his chance.

"There's a lot on our shoulders here because we are allowed to check [plays] whenever we want," Potts said. "Coach Leach says he knows that we can go out and play well -- all we need to do is just go out and do it. And the ability to go out and check plays provides you with a lot of confidence once you get your chance. It's something that just builds and grows as you play here."

Electus Unus
07-28-2009, 10:00 PM
And him learning all that foreign lingo is why he won't be a NFL QB.

LH Panther Mom
07-28-2009, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Electus Unus
And him learning all that foreign lingo is why he won't be a NFL QB.
And UT has all those quality NFL QB's. :rolleyes:

wildstangs
07-28-2009, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
And UT has all those quality NFL QB's. :rolleyes:

Texas has a couple of QB's in the league. Might not be playing, but better than Tech's best ever QB who is in Canada.

McCoy will be a very high pick this year also.

LH Panther Mom
07-29-2009, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by wildstangs
Texas has a couple of QB's in the league. Might not be playing, but better than Tech's best ever QB who is in Canada.

McCoy will be a very high pick this year also.
Well, that certainly disproved my point. :p

Sweetwater Red
07-29-2009, 10:15 AM
I got to see Potts play in the FCA game after his senior year. He's
got an arm and can be elusive at times.

STANG RED
07-29-2009, 10:20 AM
The guys got a cannon for an arm, and he's very accurate. Slow decision making, and holding the ball too long is the only knock I've heard on him so far.

WildTexan972
07-29-2009, 10:24 AM
Potts is the best pro-prospect QB ever signed by Leach at Tech and has every chance to be an NFL qb since all they do is measure stuff.....stuff that colt is no better at than GH was...

and in the nfl, if colt makes it, his bf won't be on the team so he will get lonely and quit after 1 season....

BreckTxLonghorn
07-29-2009, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by WildTexan972
Potts is the best pro-prospect QB ever signed by Leach at Tech and has every chance to be an NFL qb since all they do is measure stuff.....stuff that colt is no better at than GH was...

and in the nfl, if colt makes it, his bf won't be on the team so he will get lonely and quit after 1 season....

I thought Graham Harrell was the best pro prospect ever? Didn't he replace Cody Hodges for that title? Who replaced Sonny Cumbie? Who replaced BJ Symons? Who replaced Kliff Kingsbury?

The Tech PR Machine is simply using the newest starting quarterback in their mad libs press releases. Nothing against Potts, but maybe 'best pro prospect' would mean something if it weren't used every two years.

Eagle 1
07-29-2009, 10:58 AM
Texas has a couple of QB's in the league.

:confused:

BreckTxLonghorn
07-29-2009, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Eagle 1
:confused:

Simms & Young

TexasHSFB
07-29-2009, 01:59 PM
And UT has all those quality NFL QB's. :rolleyes: Well, they do have 2 currently in the league and 1 more next year.

Also, I'm not even a UT fan, but what do they have to do wth anything?

LH Panther Mom
07-29-2009, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by TexasHSFB
Well, they do have 2 currently in the league and 1 more next year.
Did you read exactly what I posted? QUALITY

Originally posted by TexasHSFB
Also, I'm not even a UT fan, but what do they have to do wth anything?
EU is the biggest UT homer and he & 1-2 others take every chance to knock Tech's QB's. Don't you know that the only decent players in Texas play for UT? :rolleyes:

wildstangs
07-29-2009, 08:14 PM
Did you read exactly what I posted? QUALITY

EU is the biggest UT homer and he & 1-2 others take every chance to knock Tech's QB's. Don't you know that the only decent players in Texas play for UT? :rolleyes:

Yeah, we need to start bashing the emo, Gothic linemen from Tech. Especially the one that showed up at media days with a Mohawk and fresh tattoo on the side of his head.

Rabid Cougar
07-29-2009, 08:20 PM
Walk-on Dustin Eskew from China Spring has been running Leach's offense using the exact same "language" for three years. He will not lack arm strength or velocity.

DDBooger
07-29-2009, 08:28 PM
Yeah, we need to start bashing the emo, Gothic linemen from Tech. Especially the one that showed up at media days with a Mohawk and fresh tattoo on the side of his head. :spitlol: :fnypost:

wildstangs
07-29-2009, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
:spitlol: :fnypost:

Did you see the guy?!?! Its a shame I don't know how to post a pic. And no, I don't need an explanation of how to do so.

DDBooger
07-29-2009, 08:33 PM
Did you see the guy?!?! Its a shame I don't know how to post a pic. And no, I don't need an explanation of how to do so. lmao yeah, one of those guys who watched The Program too many times.

Electus Unus
07-29-2009, 08:33 PM
http://d.yimg.com/i/ng/ne/ap/20090729/16/1924811196-texas-tech-offensive-lineman-brandon-carter-shown-during-big-12.jpg

wildstangs
07-29-2009, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Electus Unus
http://d.yimg.com/i/ng/ne/ap/20090729/16/1924811196-texas-tech-offensive-lineman-brandon-carter-shown-during-big-12.jpg

If this guy doesn't make the NFL, I hope he has some plan for a job that encourages skull tattoo's.

lakers
07-29-2009, 08:43 PM
Yeah, we need to start bashing the emo, Gothic linemen from Tech. Especially the one that showed up at media days with a Mohawk and fresh tattoo on the side of his head.

Upon reading that, you've gotta be talking about Brandon Carter. haha

Pick6
07-29-2009, 08:45 PM
If this guy doesn't make the NFL, I hope he has some plan for a job that encourages skull tattoo's.

Wrestling

DDBooger
07-29-2009, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
Wrestling
bouncer

Electus Unus
07-29-2009, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
bouncer douche

Eagle 1
07-29-2009, 09:21 PM
Is that the same tattoo on VY's arm?

http://beat.bodoglife.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/vince_young24.jpg

wildstangs
07-29-2009, 09:29 PM

http://beat.bodoglife.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/vince_young24.jpg

Easily covered up. And he already has millions from the NFL, so he probably won't ever have to go to the regular work force.

BreckTxLonghorn
07-29-2009, 09:44 PM

I actually think it's the design on Graham's sweater :)

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/fan_shot_images/23971/104144.jpg

Txbroadcaster
07-29-2009, 10:12 PM
So funny how a TTech thread gets turned into a UT thread and that started with a NON-UT fan making a comment about UT:doh:

LH Panther Mom
07-29-2009, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
So funny how a TTech thread gets turned into a UT thread and that started with a NON-UT fan making a comment about UT:doh:
So funny how SOME UT fans can't keep their stupid comments off a TTech thread. (And no, not you!)

Emerson1
07-29-2009, 10:55 PM
So funny how SOME UT fans can't keep their stupid comments off a TTech thread. (And no, not you!)
He never said anything about UT. You are a mod you should be setting an example not arguing back anyways.

lakers
07-29-2009, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
He never said anything about UT. You are a mod you should be setting an example not arguing back anyways.

Hey she can do my fighting for me anyday...:thumbsup:

DDBooger
07-30-2009, 09:02 AM
Leach keeps them entertained (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=maisel_ivan&id=4364105)

injuredinmelee
07-30-2009, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by WildTexan972

didnt you say the same thing about Harrell? All Tech qbs are products of the system.

Eagle 1
07-30-2009, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1

Wow, you must be off parole now.

Leach keeps them entertained.

What does that have to with the price of eggs in China?

Sweetwater Red
07-30-2009, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
didnt you say the same thing about Harrell? All Tech qbs are products of the system.

I remember when you could say the same thing about Houston's
QB's. (and no I'm not taking a shot at Keenum)

wildstangs
07-30-2009, 12:51 PM
I like potts - used to go to church with him in Abilene. But history shows tech qb's aren't ready for NFL. They might throw for 10000 yards and win 8 or 9 games, but no one is ever ready for NFL.

Sweetwater Red
07-30-2009, 12:58 PM
I like potts - used to go to church with him in Abilene. But history shows tech qb's aren't ready for NFL. They might throw for 10000 yards and win 8 or 9 games, but no one is ever ready for NFL.

True look at the #1 overall pick. Culpepper is going to be the
starter and they are hoping Stafford might be ready to take over
by midseason. And like a said, that's the first pick in the draft.

pirate4state
07-30-2009, 01:10 PM

It wasn't even that big of a knock! I think you were just having a bad day. :kiss:

LH Panther Mom
07-30-2009, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
It wasn't even that big of a knock! I think you were just having a bad day. :kiss:
:hand: :hand: Try 2 bad days - didn't even tell you the other news. But, no, I just get tired of his crap. :D

Sweetwater Red
07-30-2009, 06:26 PM
I think it is funny. Because the entire Big 12/ SWC
hasn't produced the quality QB's that Michigan
And Miami have. :thinking:

WildTexan972
07-31-2009, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee

no...I do not ever recall sayin a GH was the best nfl prospect QB Leach has ever recruited....he was at the time the best ever Texas hs QB by stats....

but here is 1 for ya....Lake Travis QBs are "system QBs"....as are most spread hs QBs....but they sure do sign on for tons of free rides around the country....

you no-nut steer backers best get your fun in this year, because next year Potts will be the best returning QB in the Big12, and most of the offense around him, and the defense, will be back as well....

and them okies will lose a ton after this season as well....

icu812
07-31-2009, 05:06 PM
Geez, so what if TT Qb's are a product of a system. I didn't read anywhere in the first post that Potts was going to be Tom Brady.

LH Panther Mom
07-31-2009, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by icu812
Geez, so what if TT Qb's are a product of a system. I didn't read anywhere in the first post that Potts was going to be Tom Brady.
:clap: :clap: Exactly!

And when you get down to the meat, aren't they all pretty much a product of some system or another? :thinking: