PDA

View Full Version : The Average Fan

Electus Unus
07-28-2009, 01:07 PM
Is the average fan a dying breed with the rising cost of tickets, parking, food, and merchandise at professional and collegiate venues?

crzyjournalist03
07-28-2009, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Electus Unus
Is the average fan a dying breed with the rising cost of tickets, parking, food, and merchandise at professional and collegiate venues?

what do you consider an "average" fan? I'd say that if anything, the average fan is growing as the "die-hard" fans refuse to pay prices.

Electus Unus
07-28-2009, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
what do you consider an "average" fan? I'd say that if anything, the average fan is growing as the "die-hard" fans refuse to pay prices. I'm talking the middle class fan...I guess average was not a good word to use.

BreckTxLonghorn
07-28-2009, 01:25 PM
If you're speaking in regards to their attendance at events, I think you may have a valid point. I wouldn't call them dying, but at the same time, the conditions are quickly becoming optimal.

In terms of following their team, however, I think the rising costs could increase the amounts of 'average/middle class' fans. With the relatively low cost of television & internet (comparable to actually going), it is much easier to watch every game and follow up with statistics and analysis.

Pick6
07-28-2009, 01:27 PM
I haven't paid for a ticket to a pro sports game in probably 15 years. If I can't get my hands on free tickets, I can watch it free on TV.

Electus Unus
07-28-2009, 01:35 PM
I ask this because I was looking back at some old NFL videos and it seemed that going to a football game then was a family event.

Ex-Tiger2005
07-28-2009, 01:40 PM

well i know it has affected me! its outrageous for cowboy tickets and UT tickets and then gas is still highish

crzyjournalist03
07-28-2009, 01:40 PM
I ask this because I was looking back at some old NFL videos and it seemed that going to a football game then was a family event.

That was before corporate sponsorship...now, corporations pay to have their name in the stadium or on tv..."This first down is brought to you by MetLife..." etc., so as a kickback, they buy (or in some cases are given) good seats to the games, pushing the "families" to the upper deck.

Electus Unus
07-28-2009, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
That was before corporate sponsorship...now, corporations pay to have their name in the stadium or on tv..."This first down is brought to you by MetLife..." etc., so as a kickback, they buy (or in some cases are given) good seats to the games, pushing the "families" to the upper deck. Very sad indeed :(

TexasHSFB
07-28-2009, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
I haven't paid for a ticket to a pro sports game in probably 15 years. If I can't get my hands on free tickets, I can watch it free on TV. Ditto.