PDA

View Full Version : news

BuffyMars
07-28-2009, 12:02 PM
lol (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090728/od_nm/us_birth_odd)

after we just had this discussion, lol.

ronwx5x
07-28-2009, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by BuffyMars
lol (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090728/od_nm/us_birth_odd)

after we just had this discussion, lol.

I especially like the section that lists the father's race as African. When did "African" become a race? My business partner was born to a French mother and father living in Morocco, both of whom were Moroccan citizens. She later married a US serviceman, moved with the family to the states and all became citizens. While he is caucasian, he is most certainly "African". He has more claim than most who say they are African-American, LOL!

:thinking: :doh:

crzyjournalist03
07-28-2009, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
I especially like the section that lists the father's race as African. When did "African" become a race? My business partner was born to a French mother and father living in Morocco, both of whom were Moroccan citizens. She later married a US serviceman, moved with the family to the states and all became citizens. While he is caucasian, he is most certainly "African". He has more claim than most who say they are African-American, LOL!

:thinking: :doh:

Unfortunately, when you're talking about the '60s, "African" probably had a completely different connotation...

ronwx5x
07-28-2009, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Unfortunately, when you're talking about the '60s, "African" probably had a completely different connotation...

Similar to Texas birth certificates prior to the early 70's. All births had to be classified as legitimate or illegitimate. How would you like one of those hung on you for life!!

I wonder if a person born during that time and listed as illegitimate could have a certificate reissued without that particular section being on the license?

crzyjournalist03
07-28-2009, 04:17 PM
Similar to Texas birth certificates prior to the early 70's. All births had to be classified as legitimate or illegitimate. How would you like one of those hung on you for life!!

I wonder if a person born during that time and listed as illegitimate could have a certificate reissued without that particular section being on the license?

Well, it may not be on the certificate anymore, but when my daughter was born, I had to sign paperwork verifying that I was legally married to the mother in order for me to be able to make decisions on the child (i.e., whether she got her shots, etc.). Is it even a big deal anymore to be an illegitimate child?

ronwx5x
07-28-2009, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Well, it may not be on the certificate anymore, but when my daughter was born, I had to sign paperwork verifying that I was legally married to the mother in order for me to be able to make decisions on the child (i.e., whether she got her shots, etc.). Is it even a big deal anymore to be an illegitimate child?

Certainly not the fault of the child, so why not have any lingering stigma removed? Since it is no longer on birth certificates, why should it remain on some just because of their date of birth? Personally, I could care less and am not affected, but if the person with that "illegitimate" tag did care, he/she might like to have that tag removed. Some might care, some might not, but the option ought to be there.

By the way, I never had to sign any papers like you mentioned. A birth certificate should suffice.

crzyjournalist03
07-28-2009, 04:26 PM

By the way, I never had to sign any papers like you mentioned. A birth certificate should suffice.

I was in the hospital on the day the child was born...she didn't have a birth certificate yet. Now it doesn't matter, but when we were in the hospital, they said that they had to have documentation that I was married to the mother in order for the nurses to be able to accept me as an authority on the child.

Trashman
07-28-2009, 05:20 PM
There are no illegitimate children, only illegitimate parents.:D

DDBooger
07-28-2009, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Trashman
There are no illegitimate children, only illegitimate parents.:D I like that :)

BreckTxLonghorn
07-28-2009, 05:27 PM
Aren't all kids illegitimate? Except for like, Baby Geniuses? I didn't know how to read when I was born...