PDA

View Full Version : Going to my first Rangers game

JasperDog94
07-27-2009, 06:58 PM
I've got tickets to go see "The Champions of Texas" in baseball this Thursday. (Keith would be happy) We're taking a quick family vacation this Thursday through Saturday to the DFW area and a lady I know works for the Rangers hooked me up with some sweet tickets. Section 22 Row 13! This will be my 4th stadium to see a game. (Astros, Cubs, and White Sox)

Please no rain!!!

Sweetwater Red
07-27-2009, 07:06 PM
Sweet. Who are the Rangers going to be playing?

JasperDog94
07-27-2009, 07:43 PM
The Mariners. I would love to have seen the Red Sox game on Friday but she couldn't get me any tickets for that game. That's cool though. I'm just excited about visiting a new stadium.

Sweetwater Red
07-27-2009, 07:50 PM
Yeah. I always hear that the Red Sox fans travel
well. I would like to see an Ichiro at bat I person.

I. B. Watching
07-27-2009, 08:17 PM
Have a great time. I still remember my first game. It was their first year here and Ted Williams was the manager. They lost to the Tigers, but they pretty much lost to everyone a lot that year. But I guess it was better than the old Dallas-Ft. Worth Spurs. Lol

eagleqb_14
07-27-2009, 08:41 PM
who's pitching?

Pick6
07-27-2009, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by eagleqb_14
who's pitching?

Tomorrow

eagleqb_14
07-27-2009, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
Tomorrow yea

IrishTex
07-27-2009, 10:07 PM
The Fort Worth Stockyards:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeSUX81XyR8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQxvMYeIxkw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSI0ecj2sd0

Cowboys Stadium
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iamDpAjbnmM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO3vHjVL7lI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zScnbL0tFXI

Texas Rangers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH2O-SHmMIg

Saturday Night in Fort Worth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MskENREKXtA

And even a video of Governor Rick Perry
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m13bPdXvy8

All videos recorded by Lew P.

Keith7
07-28-2009, 12:23 AM
You can never go wrong with attending a Ranger game... As far as rain goes, history is on your side, there has only been 1 rain out in the month of July during the history of the Rangers, so I'm sure you will be fine. Have fun and soak in the game while you watch the best major league baseball team in the great state of Texas.

pirate4state
07-28-2009, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
I would like to see an Ichiro at bat in person. me too!

Hope you have fun JD94

crzyjournalist03
07-28-2009, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
The Mariners. I would love to have seen the Red Sox game on Friday but she couldn't get me any tickets for that game. That's cool though. I'm just excited about visiting a new stadium.

For what it's worth, they're not playing the Red Sox for a few more weeks...if you had gotten tickets on Friday, you'd still be seeing the Mariners.

JasperDog94
07-28-2009, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
For what it's worth, they're not playing the Red Sox for a few more weeks...if you had gotten tickets on Friday, you'd still be seeing the Mariners. Oh yeah. She also couldn't get tickets for Friday night games. Either way I'm sure we'll have a great time.

Pick6
07-28-2009, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by eagleqb_14
yea

Tomorrow

waterboy
07-28-2009, 09:59 AM
Have a good time, JD. Get there early, though, so you can watch batting practice, and maybe get some autographs. Go Rangers!

jason
07-28-2009, 10:11 AM
be sure and take $20 to park...
$6 for each hotdog...
$8 for each drink...
$10 for a program...
$200 for souvenirs...

i am going to the game aug 15 vs boston and am doing my best to get out of it...i cant stand baseball...ugh....

IrishTex
07-28-2009, 10:31 AM
They actually have a deal where you can sit in a certain section of the Ballpark and it's an all you can eat deal.
I forgot how much a ticket in there costs....
I'll never go in that section since I have to watch the ol cholesterol now. But it might be a way to cut expenses if you and your family eat a lot.

:D

Keith7
07-28-2009, 10:51 AM
Don't worry about the prices Jason put up, you can park for as cheap as $6 dollars, programs are $5, hot dogs are $3, and a Ranger win is priceless.. Seriously, there is no better sporting event in the DFW area so have fun.

JasperDog94
07-28-2009, 10:58 AM
The gal that got me the tickets also sent me a parking pass along with a coupon for a free program. When all is said and done I'm sure we'll have a great time.

One of these days I would like to do a vacation of ballparks. Maybe start in Kansas City, then over to St. Louis, up to Chicago and then finish in Milwaukee. All the stars would have to align to make this work, but maybe one day.

Pick6
07-28-2009, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Keith7
Seriously, there is no better sporting event in the DFW area so have fun.

If it's the best sporting event in the DFW area why don't they sell out even 10% of their games?

Keith7
07-28-2009, 11:34 AM
Their stadium seats 55,000, selling out games is not an easy task.. That being said, they have already sold out 6 games this year and with them being in the playoff race, 10% might be a realistic goal this season..

Pick6
07-28-2009, 11:45 AM
Their stadium seats 55,000, selling out games is not an easy task.. That being said, they have already sold out 6 games this year and with them being in the playoff race, 10% might be a realistic goal this season..

From their website:

Rangers Ballpark in Arlington, completed in just 23 months, is a state-of-the-art building with the utmost in customer convenience. Yet, the 49,115 seat open-air ballpark...

Not 55,000 seats. 10% is still extremely low number for something that is suppose to be the top event in the area.

waterboy
07-28-2009, 11:51 AM
The biggest thing about selling out the Ballpark, in my opinion, is the weekday games. I'm sure that the vast majority of the sold-out games are those played on the weekends. I'll bet that if the Rangers continue to be in the playoff hunt, there will be more and more sold-out games toward the end of the season.

I. B. Watching
07-28-2009, 12:57 PM
I don't know of any baseball team that sells out the majority of weekday games. I've walked up to Wrigley and bought tickets. Did the same in Boston and Detroit. The Rangers draw well. And their games are a tremendous bang for your buck

Pick6
07-28-2009, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by I. B. Watching
I don't know of any baseball team that sells out the majority of weekday games. I've walked up to Wrigley and bought tickets. Did the same in Boston and Detroit. The Rangers draw well. And their games are a tremendous bang for your buck

The Ranger fans don't sell out The Ballpark. The fans of the Red Sox or Yankees are the one's that sell out the Ballpark in Arlington. It is a good time over there for sure, and I'm sure JD will have a great time, but for some one to claim it's the best sporting event in the DFW area is ludicrous.

jason
07-28-2009, 01:51 PM
best sporting event in dfw area is colonial and mavericks playoff games...

can have a TON of fun at the horse races in grand prairie too...

IrishTex
07-28-2009, 02:33 PM
http://www.airhogsbaseball.com/Portals/0/Gallery/Album/5/SL270485.jpg

And let's not forget there is more than one baseball team in the DFW Metroplex..

:D

http://www.airhogsbaseball.com/

pirate4state
07-28-2009, 02:34 PM
but for some one to claim it's the best sporting event in the DFW area is ludicrous.

tragic

Matthew328
07-28-2009, 02:36 PM
in Oct I'm visiting Oriole Park at Camden Yards
can't wait

slpybear the bullfan
07-28-2009, 02:37 PM
For what it's worth, they're not playing the Red Sox for a few more weeks...if you had gotten tickets on Friday, you'd still be seeing the Mariners.

It is awesome to sit with all the fans of RSN and hear how loud they are. We always go to the Red Sox games and it is embarrassing how loud the SOX fans are compared to the Rangers fan.

Of course, embarrassing also describes how the Sox laid down for this trip this year. :(

All in all though, kind of sad to see the Rangers not selling out games this year. During the Sox series they didn't sell out a one.

slpybear the bullfan
07-28-2009, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by jason
$6 for each hotdog...
$8 for each drink...
$10 for a program...
$200 for souvenirs...

i am going to the game aug 15 vs boston and am doing my best to get out of it...i cant stand baseball...ugh....

What kind of tix do you have for the 15th? Good ones? Interested in selling them? (PM me)

Pick6
07-28-2009, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
tragic

Yes it is

Keith7
07-28-2009, 04:17 PM
best sporting event in dfw area is colonial and mavericks playoff games...

can have a TON of fun at the horse races in grand prairie too...

Lol those things are the sporting events most likely to make me fall asleep watching them in the dfw area.

Cuban had to reduce ticket prices this year to keep selling tickets and their fans actually consider their team contenders lol..

It's funny so many people took my comment personally.. I guess the memorial day sell out and opening week sell outs were because of red sox and Yankee fans too even tho the Rangers didn't play them those days huh?? I want you to do some research and find out how many baseball teams actually sell out 10% of their games.. And some teams are literally the only sporting event they have going on in the summer.. It's hard for a baseball team to sell out all of it's games considering there are 81 games and the stadiums are upwards to 50,000... There is nothing more relaxing and entertaining than sitting back and watching a Rangers game.. Take offense if you will lol but the Rangers games are the best sporting event in the dfw area

Pick6
07-28-2009, 04:26 PM
Lol those things are the sporting events most likely to make me fall asleep watching them in the dfw area.

Cuban had to reduce ticket prices this year to keep selling tickets and their fans actually consider their team contenders lol..

It's funny so many people took my comment personally.. I guess the memorial day sell out and opening week sell outs were because of red sox and Yankee fans too even tho the Rangers didn't play them those days huh?? I want you to do some research and find out how many baseball teams actually sell out 10% of their games.. And some teams are literally the only sporting event they have going on in the summer.. It's hard for a baseball team to sell out all of it's games considering there are 81 games and the stadiums are upwards to 50,000... There is nothing more relaxing and entertaining than sitting back and watching a Rangers game.. Take offense if you will lol but the Rangers games are the best sporting event in the dfw area

Out of 30 MLB teams, the Rangers are #22 in percentage of home attendance, even below the Washington Nationals. DFW is the 5th largest market, if the Rangers was the best sporting event in the area their numbers would be higher.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance/_/sort/homePct

crzyjournalist03
07-28-2009, 04:32 PM
Out of 30 MLB teams, the Rangers are #22 in percentage of home attendance, even below the Washington Nationals. DFW is the 5th largest market, if the Rangers was the best sporting event in the area their numbers would be higher.

you're basing it upon the percentage of capacity, which isn't really fair...the Rangers actually have one of the higher seating capacities in the majors.

Average attendance is better, ranking 16th out of 30th, and you can expect that to rise over the next couple of months.

BaseballUmp
07-28-2009, 04:55 PM
$6 for each hotdog...
$8 for each drink...
$10 for a program...
$200 for souvenirs...

or pm me too haha i would love to go to that game lol i was looking at tickets the other day out in left field

waterboy
07-28-2009, 05:00 PM
$6 for each hotdog...
$8 for each drink...
$10 for a program...
$200 for souvenirs...

How many tickets do you have? What section? I'm sure somebody will take them off your hands. My youngest daughter wants me to take her to a game before school starts. I would need 4 tickets side by side, though.

crzyjournalist03
07-28-2009, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
or pm me too haha i would love to go to that game lol i was looking at tickets the other day out in left field

my wife bought us tickets to that game with a buffet included...I'm looking forward to it!

BaseballUmp
07-28-2009, 05:04 PM
my wife bought us tickets to that game with a buffet included...I'm looking forward to it!

How much did that end up being? and where are the seats?

crzyjournalist03
07-28-2009, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
How much did that end up being? and where are the seats?

I'd never heard of it before she bought it, but it's called the "Diamond Club combo"...basically, it's $10 more than your regular seat price...she got us seats on row 8 out in one of the right-field sections, prime Josh Hamilton home run territory.

The Diamond Club apparently has good stuff like Prime Rib and seafood on the buffet. Only downside is it doesn't include drinks. Here's the link on the website if you want more info:

http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/tex/ticketing/specials.jsp#diamond_club_combo

Emerson1
07-28-2009, 05:58 PM

They have super bowl quality nachos for $7.

I'm not gonna let you get out of it.

And people asking, they are not his tickets our uncle has them all.

What an idiotic attempt at trying to make a point. That's like saying a HS with a 13,000 seat stadium and only fills it to 11,000 has worse fans then a school that has a 1,000 seat stadium and fills it up just barely.

Also notice the teams in front of them, they don't play in 100* summer heat.

They also has All You Can Eat seats

Pick6
07-28-2009, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1

What an idiotic attempt at trying to make a point. That's like saying a HS with a 13,000 seat stadium and only fills it to 11,000 has worse fans then a school that has a 1,000 seat stadium and fills it up just barely.

That's why it's based on percentage genius. If you have 13000 seats and sell 6500 of them, it's the same percentage of having a 1000 seat stadium and selling 500 seats. It has nothing to do with who has the worst fans.

Emerson1
07-28-2009, 07:47 PM
That's why it's based on percentage genius. If you have 13000 seats and sell 6500 of them, it's the same percentage of having a 1000 seat stadium and selling 500 seats. It has nothing to do with who has the worst fans.
And that is a stupid way to try and base whatever it is you are trying to argue. If the Rangers only had a 38k seat stadium like the Royals they would #13 on percentage

Pick6
07-28-2009, 07:50 PM
And that is a stupid way to try and base whatever it is you are trying to argue. If the Rangers only had a 38k seat stadium like the Royals they would #13 on percentage

But they don't do they. Is facts hard for you to comprehend?

Emerson1
07-28-2009, 07:52 PM
But they don't do they. Is facts hard for you to comprehend?
That doesn't make your argument any better. The fact is completely irrelevant.

You are saying that KC has a better following of fans even though 4,000 less fans attend each game.

Pick6
07-28-2009, 07:57 PM
That doesn't make your argument any better. The fact is completely irrelevant.

You are saying that since KC has a better following of fans even though 4,000 less fans attend each game.

Evidently you don't understand percentages.

eagleqb_14
07-28-2009, 07:59 PM
rangers are fun to watch. its a great stadium!

Emerson1
07-28-2009, 08:02 PM
Evidently you don't understand percentages.
I'm not sure why you think percentages are so amazing.

You are saying that a team having 19,000 fans in a 20,000 seat stadium is better then a team having 40k in a 50k. How is a team not filling a smaller stadium better then having 40k fans at a bigger stadium?

Pick6
07-28-2009, 08:08 PM
I'm not sure why you think percentages are so amazing.

So I guess you'd rather watch a batter with a .050 avg over a batter with a .350 ave :rolleyes:

You are saying that a team having 19,000 fans in a 20,000 seat stadium is better then a team having 40k in a 50k. How is a team not filling a smaller stadium better then having 40k fans at a bigger stadium?

I never said it was better did I? I don't know why you can't accept the fact based on the PERCENTAGES, they rank where they do.

Keith7
07-28-2009, 08:36 PM
Why do all these people want jasons tickets if ranger games suck so bad pick6?? Riddle me that punk

Emerson1
07-28-2009, 08:37 PM
So I guess you'd rather watch a batter with a .050 avg over a batter with a .350 ave :rolleyes:

I never said it was better did I? I don't know why you can't accept the fact based on the PERCENTAGES, they rank where they do.
That is no where even close to comparable. Would you rather have 50% of $1,000,000 or 90% of $10?

Because you are trying to say that the rangers have the worst fans in DFW because they don't sell out every game. That's where this whole thing came into play.

Pick6
07-28-2009, 08:53 PM
Why do all these people want jasons tickets if ranger games suck so bad pick6?? Riddle me that punk

All these people, there's been 4 or 5 maybe that's said something about it. Again idiot, I never said the Rangers sucked, moron.

Pick6
07-28-2009, 08:58 PM
That is no where even close to comparable. Would you rather have 50% of $1,000,000 or 90% of $10?

Because you are trying to say that the rangers have the worst fans in DFW because they don't sell out every game. That's where this whole thing came into play.

No I didn't, I said it's not the best place to watch a sporting event at. I never said they had the worst fans.

BaseballUmp
07-28-2009, 09:09 PM
Only reason i wanted tickets is because they are playing the Red Sox lol

DDBooger
07-28-2009, 09:09 PM
Guardardo and Leyland are chirping at each other

TexasHSFB
07-28-2009, 11:08 PM
you're basing it upon the percentage of capacity, which isn't really fair...the Rangers actually have one of the higher seating capacities in the majors.

Average attendance is better, ranking 16th out of 30th, and you can expect that to rise over the next couple of months. I agree. Pick6's argument based on %'s is insane.

Look at sheer numbers. Just because a ballpark holds more people doesn't mean squat as far as the fans go.

If the Rangers had a park that help less fans (like the rest of those parks on that list of %'s do) then they would sell out more and have a higher percentage.

It's a moronic way to look at it.

formercougar18
07-29-2009, 01:50 AM
Ive been to 5 ranger games this summer and i would love to go to more! Their not only a trip to DFW, but a fun thing to do also. I didnt play baseball in high school but i love watching the rangers just because it's something to do. I went to the memorial day game and it was by far the most packed ive seen the stadium, but i saw a lot of empty seats still so i dont know how it was a sellout. I would rather pay 30 dollars to watch the rangers and sit in the all you can eat section, then pay 400 dollars for a ticket to cowboy stadium when i can just watch it on television. I recommend going to a rangers game just to go! its a great family event! i got my dad tickets to a game for fathers day and we had a blast even though they lost. It doesnt matter how may people go....it shouldnt change your experience at all....the more people the less walking room you have because it gets ridiculously crowded in the walkways.

I. B. Watching
07-29-2009, 01:12 PM
They sold out a lot back when they had 10 cent beer night and hot pants night.:D

slpybear the bullfan
07-29-2009, 01:22 PM

Because they are playing the Red Sox.... Punk.

pirate4state
07-29-2009, 01:51 PM
Yes it is

haha you agree that you constantly picking on Keith is tragic? :D Cause that's what I was talking about. lmao

Sweetwater Red
07-29-2009, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
Because they are playing the Red Sox.... Punk.

Wow! What have I been missing????:D

slpybear the bullfan
07-29-2009, 03:55 PM
Wow! What have I been missing????:D

LOL, just some banter about the Rangers with some of the usual backers.

Sweetwater Red
07-29-2009, 04:56 PM
Lol. Yeah, I still wanna keep that quote in my
sig for a week or two. It made me laugh.

So, the Rangers are 2-6 against Detroit. Have
The Red Sox played them yet? I wonder what
the attendance comparison is between Detroit,
Boston, and Texas. :thinking:

crzyjournalist03
07-29-2009, 05:20 PM

The Red Sox played them yet? I wonder what
the attendance comparison is between Detroit,

Detroit is one of the only teams against whom Texas has a losing record right now.

Rangers' record against other opponents:

Red Sox 5-1
White Sox 4-2
Angels 7-2
Mariners 6-3
A's 5-3
Rays 3-0
Orioles 4-3
Royals 3-3
Blue Jays 2-4
Yankees 2-4
Twins 1-2

Sweetwater Red
07-29-2009, 05:28 PM
Ouch! Sorry slpybear. :doh:

slpybear the bullfan
07-29-2009, 06:57 PM
Ouch! Sorry slpybear. :doh:

You ain't kidding. That's why I had the tongue in cheek response back to Keith...

I went to two games at Fenway this year, then waited a couple of months for my Sox to come to Arlington...
...only to watch them tail off into a big slump after the ASB. Texas made them look silly for three games... I believe the Sox hit .168 during those three games. UGGGGH.

Now, all that being said... even with the Sox coming to town, the Rangers having a great year, and a pretty impressive post ASB record, the Rangers didn't come close to selling out any of those games.

Someone said something about weekday games, etc. Who cares? It is summer. People go to games after work and drag the kids with them. Was very shocked that the BOSOX games did not sell out. Even more so that they have only sold 10 out this year. If you are a big Rangers fan what more can you ask for than this season so far?

slpybear the bullfan
07-29-2009, 07:07 PM

The Red Sox played them yet?

The Sox swept DET in three games back in June. They will be hosting DET for four games at the Fens on Aug 10-13.

I wonder what the attendance comparison is between Detroit,

here are the numbers from ESPN (http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance)

Team - Ranking - # home games - ttl attend - avg per game
==========================================
Boston - #9 - 50 games - 1,892,283 ttl - 37,845 avg
Detroit - #11 - 47 games - 1,476,700 ttl - 31,419 avg
Texas - #17 - 52 games - 1,430,691 ttl - 27,513 avg