PDA

View Full Version : Hey UT Fans!

Trashman
07-26-2009, 06:12 PM
This stinks......:(

Texas tight end Blaine Irby will be lost for the season, the team trainer said today.

Irby dislocated his right knee Sept. 20 against Rice and missed all of Big 12 play, prompting significant changes in the Longhorns’ offense as they carried on without a pass-catching threat at tight end.
lkv utark19.jpg

Now, UT trainer Kenny Boyd is saying that Irby suffered significant ligament and nerve damage from that injury and cannot play in 2009. He’s undergone two surgeries.

“It was devastating at first, but I’ve come a long way,” Irby said in a statement released by the team. “I realize this is an obstacle I have to overcome and it’s going to take time. I feel like I’ve made the best of the situation and am working to make sure something positive comes out of this. I’m disappointed that I’m going to miss the season but that’s not going to stop me from having an impact on this team. I’m going to help the coaches in any way I can and work with the tight ends, whether it’s watching film, or just trying to be a resource for them. I’m really going to work with the young guys to try and get them ready to help the team.”

The team’s news release quoted orthopedic surgeon Carey Windler as explaining:

“With a knee dislocation like Blaine sustained, damage can occur to ligaments, nerves and arteries. Blaine sustained significant ligament damage as well as a major nerve injury. The trauma to his knee was dramatic, and he was very fortunate that no arterial injury occurred. With all that Blaine has been through, he has maintained an amazing attitude and worked extremely hard in his rehab. He has recovered exceptionally well from the reconstruction and repair of multiple ligaments, but the variable that is so unpredictable is the recovery from nerve damage. He injured the peroneal nerve and has had a second procedure for that injury. The nerve has not yet recovered, and drop foot is the result. Overall though, Blaine has recovered well, is in a brace for the foot drop, and has progressed to light running. If you saw Blaine walking on campus, he would appear normal to most observers. But that doesn’t translate to being able to compete at this level at this time.”

Electus Unus
07-26-2009, 10:41 PM
To those who follow Texas closely many knew that he would miss the 2009 season also due to the severity of that injury.

RedWhiteBlue
07-27-2009, 09:49 AM
:(

LHexPlayer
07-27-2009, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Electus Unus
To those who follow Texas closely many knew that he would miss the 2009 season also due to the severity of that injury.

Yep and I wouldn't be shocked if he never gets to play again. That was a terrible injury he sustained.

Emerson1
07-27-2009, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by LHexPlayer
Yep and I wouldn't be shocked if he never gets to play again. That was a terrible injury he sustained.
I would never even want to play again after that.

eagleqb_14
07-27-2009, 09:50 PM
that sucks::(