PDA

View Full Version : La Grange Leopard Posters Check in Here

Pudlugger
07-26-2009, 09:30 AM
Let's start the season off with a show of hands for those on this board who support the Leps. I'll begin with my take on the 2009 Leps.

This season should be a watershed year for the Leps. Like the 11-1 1999 team that was picked to end up fourth in district coming off a lack luster 4-6 year in 1998, the 2009 Leps will undoubtedly outperform the consensus. The 1998 Leps lost to Smithville and failed to make the playoffs after going all the way to the 3A Semi-finals in 1997. The 2008 Leps, although young, were in the thick of things for every game in district except Smithville when they got gobsmacked 38-0. This year should be different as this year's team in loaded with returning starters with considerable talent and has an excellent senior class for leadership(something sorely missing in 2007 when they repeatedly broke team rules leading to several key suspensions especially the one before the season ending game with Navasota that they narrowly lost failing to make the playoffs). I see the Leps making the playoffs this year and winning at least two of the three key district games with Bellville, Giddings and Sealy. In addition they will be looking for some big time payback in the Smithville game and will not repeat the debacle of 2008. They should end up with possibly a district title or tie for second depending on whether Smithville and Columbus are successful as spoilers.

Come on Leps posters let's hear what you have to say.

TRENCHES06
07-26-2009, 10:17 AM
It will be an exciting season for sure.

Successful teams need: talent, leadership, focus, remain relatively healthy, a lil thing call luck.

The first two are in place. The other 3 remain to be seen.

The defense will be MUCH better which should translate to more wins but it takes a TEAM to win big.

Footballhudini
07-26-2009, 02:21 PM
hoodini says the leps have a good chance of playing football come week 15

Bull's-eye
07-26-2009, 03:14 PM
From the 2 games I watched last season, LG will need to find a rushing attack to go along with their potent passing attack. In their 44-12 win over Hamshire-Fannett, the Leps managed only 59 yards on 38 attempts. In their 28-14 loss to Bellville, a minus 12 yards on 16 attempts. Their passing attack gives them a chance to win most games, but can they put away a team with an effective ground attack? Weather can also cause havoc on a team that depends too heavy on the pass. Run defense will need to improve to stop the ball-controlling offenses they will see from teams like Giddings & Bellville. I got them making the playoffs, but any slip-up in D25 can keep a good team home.

Pudlugger
07-26-2009, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
From the 2 games I watched last season, LG will need to find a rushing attack to go along with their potent passing attack. In their 44-12 win over Hamshire-Fannett, the Leps managed only 59 yards on 38 attempts. In their 28-14 loss to Bellville, a minus 12 yards on 16 attempts. Their passing attack gives them a chance to win most games, but can they put away a team with an effective ground attack? Weather can also cause havoc on a team that depends too heavy on the pass. Run defense will need to improve to stop the ball-controlling offenses they will see from teams like Giddings & Bellville. I got them making the playoffs, but any slip-up in D25 can keep a good team home.

I agree the Leps need to come out this year with a better rushing game. I think they will as towards the end of the season especially against Giddings and Sealy they showed some promise. They have some good speed in the backfield and with the size and experience in the o line should be much improved. Hopefully the passing threat will open up the draw play and play action stuff to keep the defenses honest. The Bellville defense was remarkable and they exposed some weaknesses in the offense's 5 man front. After that game the coaches started working in a tight end. Another way to defend the blitz is to have a TE sized player with excellent blocking skils lines up in the backfield. He can block or take the ball up the middle like a fullback.
With the wrs the Leps have they can afford to put another guy in the backfield along with the tb and qb. The utility back can also catch passes on the flat or over the middle and be very effective. I would not be supprised to see something like that in the 2009 offense.

Pudlugger
07-30-2009, 06:14 PM
The Lep defense is going to be a big part of their success or failure this season. Anyone want to comment on how improved they will be this year? Last season they had trouble stopping the run. Several teams with powerful running backs put up some big points. Smithville especially ran over them as did Giddings and Bellville. Will they come out ready to play this year?

HEMOTOXIC
07-30-2009, 09:38 PM
I was really high on the Leps last season after watching them against HF. Like Bull's Eye said, the Leps must find a running game if they want to be successful. The passing game was on point in the game against HF. The defense will have to step up too if they hope to beat the likes of Bellville and Giddings. I think that it can be done.

Good luck Leps!

FormerBellvilleBrahma
07-30-2009, 10:23 PM
Who are the Leps pre-district teams and what were there records last year?

Pudlugger
07-30-2009, 11:08 PM
Lockhart 8-4 (4a) picked second in D17 by DCTF
Yoakum 8-4 picked second in D28 DCTF
Needville6-4 picked second in D26 DCTF
Gonzales 3-7 picked fourth in D28 DCTF
Goliad 5-6 picked fifth in D28 DCTF

KONGZILLA
07-31-2009, 07:22 PM
ZZTOP GONNA PLAY AT 1/2 TIME, HELL I WILL COME WATCH

DON'T CARE IF THE TEAM SUX

Pudlugger
08-01-2009, 07:42 PM
No ZZTop at half time in La Grange unfortunately, but I think the Leps will bring the crowds this season. The past few years have been sort of lack luster in fan turnout. When the Leps were making their run for State in 2000 and 2001 the stands were always packed and overflowing every Friday night. Not so much the last few seasons with many empty seats. Hopefully they will bring back the excitement with this talented bunch. They are winners.

Electus Unus
08-01-2009, 07:44 PM
La Grange has gone down hill since the Chicken Ranch closed.

KONGZILLA
08-01-2009, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Electus Unus
La Grange has gone down hill since the Chicken Ranch closed.

they got pilgrims pride out east of there.....

if'n leps make plyaoffs it'll be third place spot......bellvilee wins it, giddings 2nd(they meet again in 1/4's)

Pudlugger
08-03-2009, 09:39 AM
Anyone know how many players showed up for practice today? Anyone want to give a run down of the 2009 squad? Any new faces on the team? Let's hear from yall!

LHS 2SONS
08-03-2009, 10:00 AM
La Grange starts two-adays at 4:00. Heard around 150 kids are expected. Senior and Freshmen class have a lot of kids that are playing. Freshmen had a couple of move ins, but have not heard of anyone else.

Pudlugger
08-03-2009, 10:35 AM
Great! How many of the 150 are 9th-12th grades? In years past 90 kids was a good number for the Leps with 600 total enrollment.

Pudlugger
08-07-2009, 10:10 AM
How did this week go with practice. Have they put on the pads yet?

hookandladder
08-07-2009, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
How did this week go with practice. Have they put on the pads yet?

Putting on pads today for first pad practice, watched a couple of practices. I think the offense is working hard on picking up the blitz and using the RB in the flats, seen a # of plays using them. The defense will be the key to success this year in my opinion, as stated before will have to stop the running game. Hopefully we can find some players to step up on the defensive side of the ball so some players do not have to go both ways. It will be a dog fight all year to make the playoffs, I think we are definitely capable of taking one of those spots.

Pudlugger
08-07-2009, 01:33 PM
Good report Hook. I hope the rbs can pick up the blitz better this year as those Bellville boys made a living on it last season LOL.

I believe the D will be key as well. If the Leps can keep the opposition's score down to 20 or less they should be able to win most games as the offense is going to get their points. Case in point last year against Giddings. When you score 31 points in a game you should win yet they just traded scores back and forth until the last team scoring(Giddings) won. They must get more stops in crucial game situations.

The special teams will also be key to success. With Hugo back we should be fine on PATs and dangerous within the 25 for FGs. One thing I hope the coaches are doing is to work on ball handling to reduce turnovers. We lost the season opener against Lockhart because of fumbles. It stopped several good drives and kept our D on the field too long and they broke down in the fourth.

I look forward to our scrimmages. It will tell a lot about how good these boys are as LH and Cuero will be strong and test them well.

Pudlugger
08-11-2009, 11:10 AM
Looks like there are only three Lep posters on board so far. I expect more to come as the Leps advance in the season with some big wins.

11as1
08-11-2009, 03:08 PM
I agree with everything said so far in the thread, but one thing that i find funny is that lg is talking about passing more while bellville has try to put in more of a shotgun/spread look to the offense.