PDA

View Full Version : Can 3A teams succsesfully platoon?

MASH4077
09-29-2003, 05:19 PM
We have been trying at Decatur for about 3 yrs. now and I dont think it can be done in 3A. Any thoughts?

3afan
09-29-2003, 05:22 PM
of course they can be successful platooning - not the smaller 3A but the larger ones YES - it would not be the norm i dont think but if a team has enuf talent why not?

vet93
09-29-2003, 05:26 PM
Yes it can be done...especially at the larger schools. However, I think for it to work a coach has to know how to "hide" a few atheletes by playing them in a position where they are not asked to have a huge responsibility and you have to scheme your team right in order to do that.

Chief Woodman
09-29-2003, 09:27 PM
Just my thought but.....platooning sure helps keep the wheels fresh if you have enough talent to do it. Teams that can typically shine in the late 3rd- 4th Quarters when things are really important. Take Ballinger this last week, suiting only 19 players. If they had to face a team that could platoon AND even rotate players due to roster size, Ballinger is at a tremendous disadvantage.

In the long run perhaps the best mix is platoon for the most part of the game so that your team stays fresh, and insert the best athletes in key situations such as goal line stands and third downs late in a game that is close. Otherwise, some of the guys going both ways might tend to "take a few plays off" while on the field.

Added bonus of having more players participate, which increases turnout for the program because more feel like they have a chance to play. Also, less time on the field for key players reduces chance of injuries. Yet if an injury does occur, instead of having to insert two second string players you only have to insert one.

crzyjournalist03
09-29-2003, 09:30 PM
Platooning does work...just take a look at Forney's 2001 team in which the system resembled that of Major Applewhite/Chris Simms with rotating possessions. Forney was ranked #1 all year until losing to #2 Everman, and even then, it was a trench fight down to the wire.