orange machine
07-22-2009, 07:25 PM
Baylor | High Schools | Outdoors | Youth | College | Pro | Archives

E-mail this page Print this page Most E-mailed/Most printed Type size

UIL may let football coaches run 7-on-7, select sports teams

Click-2-Listen

Buzz up!By Chad Conine Tribune-Herald staff writer

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The time could be approaching for high school coaches to decide just how much time they want to spend with their athletes.

As part of the annual UIL press conference at the Texas High School Coaches Association Coaches’ School, UIL executive director Dr. Charles Breithaupt said the organization is studying the possibility of allowing high school coaches to coach non-school teams.

That would mean, for example, a high school football coach could coach a seven-on-seven team of his players, or a girls’ basketball coach could coach a select team of players from her program.

Breithaupt, who spoke to the media at the Hilton Austin in connection with the conference that brought together more than 12,000 of the state’s high school coaches, said he believes the coaches fall into three categories on the issue of coaching non-school teams.

“I think 40 percent would tell you, ‘Let us coach, we’re already having to be there anyway,’ ” Breithaupt said. “Some are saying, ‘Enough is enough.’ There’s another group saying, ‘I’d rather us be coaching them than somebody else.’ ”

High school coaches are allowed to open school facilities for athletes to work out during the summer, as well as coach athletes for up to an hour per school day during the off-season.

But Breithaupt pointed out that high school athletes’ participation on teams not associated with the school has increased to the point that events take place just about every day of the year.

If high school coaches vote to approve coaching non-school teams, they could be signing up for a never-ending gig.

Breithaupt said there are far more questions than answers at this point.

“So how far do you go?,” he said. “Should coaches be allowed to coach 12 months? Where does it pick back up? What does that do to the sport?”

Though he spoke specifically about the possibility, Breithaupt didn’t offer a target date for athletic directors to vote on a proposal.

“It may be a long study,” he said. “We’re not going to get in a hurry. We’re going to spend some time and get this right.”

Breithaupt and UIL athletic director Cliff Odenwald addressed a variety of issues during the press conference, including:

* A review of the steps the UIL took in reaction to the outbreak of the swine flu in Texas in May.

* The results of steroid testing during the last two years. The UIL has revealed that, of 45,000 athletes tested, there have been 19 positive tests and three unresolved cases. Also, the UIL’s steroid testing budget has been cut from $6 million to $2 million, meaning the organization will test fewer students in the next two years.

* The decision made by 1A athletic directors to align in two divisions at the next realignment in February. A referendum item is up for vote by 2A athletic directors and 4A athletic directors are set to “revisit” the possibility.

GreenMonster
07-22-2009, 07:45 PM
I would love to be able to coach my kids through the summer. I already have to keep my field up and be in attendance for all of their home games as requested by my superintendent, so why not? It would give me more time to implement my program and give me control over what is being taught. Furthermore, it would give me a better opportunity to network with the college coaches and scouts that are sifting through the summer leagues to find prospects. College baseball recruiting has become an almost exclusively summer league happening simply because of the fact that our seasons overlap and unlike football, which plays one game a week, college baseball teams often times play an early week series followed by a weekend series leaving precious little time inbetween for practice or heaven forbid family. I'm all for it, and I hope UIL gives me the opportunity.

injuredinmelee
07-22-2009, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
I would love to be able to coach my kids through the summer. I already have to keep my field up and be in attendance for all of their home games as requested by my superintendent, so why not? It would give me more time to implement my program and give me control over what is being taught. Furthermore, it would give me a better opportunity to network with the college coaches and scouts that are sifting through the summer leagues to find prospects. College baseball recruiting has become an almost exclusively summer league happening simply because of the fact that our seasons overlap and unlike football, which plays one game a week, college baseball teams often times play an early week series followed by a weekend series leaving precious little time inbetween for practice or heaven forbid family. I'm all for it, and I hope UIL gives me the opportunity.

El Guapo whats the haps? Hope life be treating yous well

GreenMonster
07-22-2009, 08:00 PM
Life is good up here on the plains. Football is looking promising, kids are healthy, and the A/C is still working. Have traveled the US this summer from Disney World in Florida to Wrigley Field in Chicago and several places inbetween. Just returned home today from Austin and coaching school and I visited the hallowed grounds of DKR Texas Memorial Stadium just last night. Things really couldn't be better. How are you and yours?

maestro
07-22-2009, 08:24 PM
worst kept secret in all of Texas..

high school football coaches ALREADY guide their teams...

just go watch and or read the daily papers..

JM2CENTS WORTH

GreenMonster
07-22-2009, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by maestro
worst kept secret in all of Texas..

high school football coaches ALREADY guide their teams...

just go watch and or read the daily papers..

JM2CENTS WORTH

Key word there is guide. Parents coach the teams and the coaches guide those parents. It is of utmost importance to use the same terminology and use the same routes that these kids will be using on Friday nights for 7 on 7 to be beneficial. Why not take out the middle man and just let me do my job as a hobby for the summer? Everyone will benefit in the end. I know that everyone has been watching Brett Favre work out with that Mississippi High School team all summer to rehab his surgically repaired shoulder, why should we not be allowed the same opportunities here in Texas? It will benefit our kids in more ways than one.

Matthew328
07-22-2009, 10:48 PM
agreed it happens anyway, may as well let the coaches coach em...

Johnny Utah
07-23-2009, 10:02 AM
If UIL allows, like some other states all ready do, opening up a can of worms. 24/7 is an understatement. I do not like the idea myself.

Txbroadcaster
07-23-2009, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Johnny Utah
If UIL allows, like some other states all ready do, opening up a can of worms. 24/7 is an understatement. I do not like the idea myself.

why not?

Additup
07-23-2009, 11:13 AM
Should help control fights or at least coaches can be held accountable. Definitely help with transportation to events. Schools should be able to provide a bus. Always bothers me watching kids pile into cars because it's against the rules for a coach to transport them. I've never had kids in a car wreck transporting to or from an event, but I've been real nervous even when we've had 1 coach lead and 1 coach trail. UIL needs to at least green light a coach driving a bus for kids.

Summer AAU basketball is a mess with non-coaches coaching kids...Not sure about baseball. UIL may be trying to get a handle on AAU as much as 7 on 7.

STANG RED
07-23-2009, 11:38 AM
I think it's a great idea, but can certainly see where there could be problems. I believe it needs to be kept on a strictly voluntary basis for the coaches. But we all know many will be required to do it to keep their jobs. But I'd bet that most would like to do it. But dont a lot of coaches use the summer break to advance their education, or even get a summer job to help make ends meet? I'd imagine lots of assistants need that extra income. This could create a problem for these guys, if they are required to coach 7 on 7.

Johnny Utah
07-23-2009, 12:42 PM
Coaches, most that is, are on a 9 month contract. They do get their pay spread out over a 12 month period. However, allowing schools to coach during the summer months would lead to only more problems in my opinion. Do you want your son or daughter playing 24/7? They are all ready up at the school doing summer strength and conditioning. So now, we will allow the basketball, baseball, track, football, tennis, golf, etc...coaches to coach them during the summer months. When will a youngster have time to be a youngster and a coach have time for family? This is not the pro level, 365 day a year job which is compensated. I do not agree with it. You have 2 a days, or spring ball, and optional 7 on 7 or whatever league in other sports. Seems to me that is enough. JMO. I would bet ya....most of the coaches would not be for it. If, it is allowed, would have to be a strict "season" lasting only a certain length of time and only so many games. And...to say that YOUR TEAM WON THE 7 on 7 STATE TITLE...COME ON!

Matthew328
07-23-2009, 01:04 PM
I think you are under-estimating a lot of coaches, I think most coaches would prefer to be involved...they've already gotta be out there anyway so they may as well be in control of it....

Johnny Utah
07-23-2009, 01:09 PM
It would have to be a strict time, length of season, # of games etc.. No way your telling me an asst. would want to go through 2 a days, a full season, offseason, spring and then again in the summer months which turns into 2 a days and get the same pay etc......

pirate4state
07-23-2009, 01:15 PM
COME ON JU --- 7 on 7 STATE CHAMPS! WOOHOO

Pick6
07-23-2009, 01:20 PM
Coaches, most that is, are on a 9 month contract. They do get their pay spread out over a 12 month period. However, allowing schools to coach during the summer months would lead to only more problems in my opinion. Do you want your son or daughter playing 24/7? They are all ready up at the school doing summer strength and conditioning. So now, we will allow the basketball, baseball, track, football, tennis, golf, etc...coaches to coach them during the summer months. When will a youngster have time to be a youngster and a coach have time for family? This is not the pro level, 365 day a year job which is compensated. I do not agree with it. You have 2 a days, or spring ball, and optional 7 on 7 or whatever league in other sports. Seems to me that is enough. JMO. I would bet ya....most of the coaches would not be for it. If, it is allowed, would have to be a strict "season" lasting only a certain length of time and only so many games. And...to say that YOUR TEAM WON THE 7 on 7 STATE TITLE...COME ON!

I agree 100%. I also think the school shouldn't have to pay for transportation or anything else to do with it. Alot of schools are struggling financially. They don't need the added cost of gas or what ever other cost come with it.

Farmersfan
07-23-2009, 01:21 PM

I went to my employer and told him that I can't work the summer months because I need "time for family"! It didn't go over very well...............:devil:

pirate4state
07-23-2009, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
I went to my employer and told him that I can't work the summer months because I need "time for family"! It didn't go over very well...............:devil: :doh:

Farmersfan
07-23-2009, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
I agree 100%. I also think the school shouldn't have to pay for transportation or anything else to do with it. Alot of schools are struggling financially. They don't need the added cost of gas or what ever other cost come with it.

I think we should get back to the days when high school kids got summer jobs and worked to pay for their cars or school clothes. Most athletes can't even work a summer job because of conditioning and summer programs. I even heard of a coach that told a kid if he didn't play 7 on 7 during the summer he wouldn't play on the team come fall. The kid had to give up a good summertime job. It's gotten out of control.

TRENCHES06
07-23-2009, 01:37 PM
I think most kids can work AND work a summer conditioning program.

Whether or not they WANT to is another thing

wildstangs
07-23-2009, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
I went to my employer and told him that I can't work the summer months because I need "time for family"! It didn't go over very well...............:devil:

Tell him you will work 9 months out of the year, and he can hold a bit out of each check. He can then mail a little bit to you, oh say on the 15th and 31st of every month during the summer. Then you can spend time with your family and still draw a paycheck.

Johnny Utah
07-23-2009, 02:21 PM
That is funny! But the realization of some who think coaches have 3 months off is not correct either. I believe the UIL can not enforce the 7 on 7 coaching rules therefore they might do away with them to avoid problems. Anyone have a thought on that?

Farmersfan
07-23-2009, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs
Tell him you will work 9 months out of the year, and he can hold a bit out of each check. He can then mail a little bit to you, oh say on the 15th and 31st of every month during the summer. Then you can spend time with your family and still draw a paycheck.

Symantics! It's all based on how you chose to look at it. 9 months pay spread out over 12 months or simply a annual salary. But in truth if it were only 9 months pay then why would anyone agree to work those extra 3 months?????

Farmersfan
07-23-2009, 02:36 PM
That is funny! But the realization of some who think coaches have 3 months off is not correct either. I believe the UIL can not enforce the 7 on 7 coaching rules therefore they might do away with them to avoid problems. Anyone have a thought on that?

You and Wildstangs need to get together and compare notes. He's claiming coaches only get paid for 9 months work and you claim they must work more than 9 months. Seems to me coaches have a big greivence with the labor board................:D

charlesrixey
07-23-2009, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
I think you are under-estimating a lot of coaches, I think most coaches would prefer to be involved...they've already gotta be out there anyway so they may as well be in control of it....

agreed

i didn't see any where in there that said coaches would HAVE to be the coaches of such teams, just that they could have the ability to do so if they chose