PDA

View Full Version : Nice Stephen McGee story with San Antonio Ties...

SintonFan
07-21-2009, 10:18 PM
Local moms await Cowboys camp, sons

By Tom Orsborn - Express-News

If you need to get in touch with Susan McGee and the rest of the legal department at U.S. Global Investors July 29, don't bother calling them at their North Side office.

They'll be at the Alamodome for the opening practice of Dallas Cowboys training camp.

McGee is president and general counsel of the San Antonio-based mutual fund company. Her son, Stephen McGee, is a rookie quarterback for the Cowboys.

“We talked about taking the legal department to the Alamodome and having our meetings there,” Susan McGee said. “Everyone in the legal department wants to go.”

In the summer of 2003, McGee was planning another trip to the dome. Her son was in high school then and wanted to watch his favorite team — the Cowboys — practice.

Stephen McGee's parents divorced when he was 3. He lived in San Antonio with his mother before moving to Burnet after seventh grade at Alamo Heights Junior School to live with his father, Rodney McGee, and play football for the Burnet Bulldogs.

When Susan McGee took her son to the Alamodome to watch the Cowboys six years ago, they sat as close to the field as possible.

“The different positions would come out to warm up, and I remember it was so exciting when the quarterbacks came out,” Susan McGee said. “I remember having chills, seeing all these famous players. It was almost like the quarterbacks were rock stars.”

Now her son is one of them.

“Next week will be the first time for me seeing Stephen in his Dallas uniform,” she said. “I'm sure I will get chills seeing him come out on the field. It's just an odd, surreal feeling, coming full circle like this.”

After playing primarily in a run-based offense at Texas A&M, Stephen McGee isn't expected to do anything the next couple of years but watch and learn the pro passing game from veteran quarterbacks Tony Romo and Jon Kitna.

Still, Susan McGee expects her ultra-competitive son to act as if he were battling for the starting job.

“He's such a perfectionist,” she said. “He wants to do it just right in the beginning. He will push himself, I know.”

Her son is no stranger to the Alamodome, having played there some in high school and college. He said his familiarity with the building and the city will help increase his comfort level during what is typically a stressful time for rookies.

“I don't feel like it's an advantage, but it's cool having family come and be a part of it,” he said.

McGee isn't the only Cowboy with strong San Antonio ties. Brackenridge graduate Sam Hurd, a fourth-year receiver, also will have his own cheering section at the dome.

“We've already had so many people call us, saying, ‘When are they coming? When can I see Sam?'” said Gloria Hurd, his mother.

To allow as many relatives and friends to attend practice as possible, Gloria Hurd said she and her husband, Sam, will use their sideline pass sparingly during the three weeks the Cowboys are here.

“He's one of six kids, so we give everybody a shot to go see him,” she said.

Link (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/cowboys/Ex-San_Antonians_return_to_city_as_Cowboys_moms_here_ too.html)
Good stuff there. :)