PDA

View Full Version : Our Scientists Are Amazing!!

sinfan75
07-21-2009, 08:49 PM
Did you know that our great scientists were able to figure out how to repair the "hole" in the ozone layer,but because of that great task we now have global warming or "climate change".
:thinking:

.FIRE THE SCIENTISTS!!!:D :D :clap: :clap: :clap:

turbostud
07-21-2009, 08:56 PM
I saw on the news today that an amateur astronomer from Australia discovered an astroid crash on Jupiter. To the amazement of professional astonomers. Imagine that. NASA even missed it.
Link (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/5878319/Amateur-Australian-astronomer-spots-asteroid-crash-on-Jupiter.html)

PPHSfan
07-21-2009, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by turbostud
I saw on the news today that an amateur astronomer from Australia discovered an astroid crash on Jupiter. To the amazement of professional astonomers. Imagine that. NASA even missed it.
Link (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/5878319/Amateur-Australian-astronomer-spots-asteroid-crash-on-Jupiter.html)

I saw that too. I was trying to come up with a funny story for it, but all I could come up with was that Tiger got mad because he missed the cut and has been really whacking them out at the driving range.:(

SintonFan
07-21-2009, 10:32 PM
I still think we are arrogant to think us specks of dust on the Earth think we can cause all this with no proof whatsoever.
But heck, just because we changed the phrase "Global Warming" to "Climate Change" doesn't mean they don't know what they are talking about.:D :D
GET READY AMERICA!!!
YOUR ELECTRICITY BILLS ARE ABOUT TO SKYROCKET!!!:(

Farmersfan
07-22-2009, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
I still think we are arrogant to think us specks of dust on the Earth think we can cause all this with no proof whatsoever.
But heck, just because we changed the phrase "Global Warming" to "Climate Change" doesn't mean they don't know what they are talking about.:D :D
GET READY AMERICA!!!
YOUR ELECTRICITY BILLS ARE ABOUT TO SKYROCKET!!!:(

It's inevitable that our presence here on earth will effect the natural order of things. We are making WAY too big of a footprint for it not to. How significant that change will be is yet to be determined. Our trash alone will have a huge impact on the planet for millions of years to come. And some radioactive waste could be around longer than that. But that doesn't mean the "impact" will be all negative. Just different!

Farmersfan
07-22-2009, 08:51 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SintonFan
[B]I still think we are arrogant to think us specks of dust on the Earth think we can cause all this with no proof whatsoever.

A population of 6,706,993,152 can hardly be considered "specks of dust" in relation to the earth. That number of people will significantly effect everything on the planet. From oxygen content of the atmosphere to mutation rates of bacteria. Global warming is small in comparison to some possible effects.....
But if you believe in a devine design then none of it matters anyway because it is part of the original plan.......

DDBooger
07-22-2009, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
[B]I still think we are arrogant to think us specks of dust on the Earth think we can cause all this with no proof whatsoever.

A population of 6,706,993,152 can hardly be considered "specks of dust" in relation to the earth. That number of people will significantly effect everything on the planet. From oxygen content of the atmosphere to mutation rates of bacteria. Global warming is small in comparison to some possible effects.....
But if you believe in a devine design then none of it matters anyway because it is part of the original plan....... yessir, lots of new subscribers to Neo-malthusian theory. Basic addition and subtraction and carrying capacity on the planet is being wrenched to unsustainable levels. That word itself is useless, much like the rest of our flawed nomenclature (war on drugs, terror blah blah) Finding sustainability in a chaotic system (nature) is stupid, aiming for resilient civilization is more important. That's why I don't agree with the cash for clunkers, simply expediting more and more waste, no ingenuity. 21st century inevitably will close with a massive search for natural resources, WATER not oil being the biggest problem.

JasperDog94
07-22-2009, 08:59 AM
GET READY AMERICA!!!
YOUR ELECTRICITY BILLS ARE ABOUT TO SKYROCKET!!!:( Cap and trade here we come.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DDBooger
07-22-2009, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by sinfan75
Did you know that our great scientists were able to figure out how to repair the "hole" in the ozone layer,but because of that great task we now have global warming or "climate change".
:thinking:

.FIRE THE SCIENTISTS!!!:D :D :clap: :clap: :clap: do you have an article for that? I'd love to read it.

BILLYFRED0000
07-22-2009, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by DDBooger
yessir, lots of new subscribers to Neo-malthusian theory. Basic addition and subtraction and carrying capacity on the planet is being wrenched to unsustainable levels. That word itself is useless, much like the rest of our flawed nomenclature (war on drugs, terror blah blah) Finding sustainability in a chaotic system (nature) is stupid, aiming for resilient civilization is more important. That's why I don't agree with the cash for clunkers, simply expediting more and more waste, no ingenuity. 21st century inevitably will close with a massive search for natural resources, WATER not oil being the biggest problem.
You might include food on that list. But certainly the changes in tech will dictate a different set of circumstances than we can currently foretell.

BILLYFRED0000
07-22-2009, 09:42 AM
But if you believe in a devine design then none of it matters anyway because it is part of the original plan.......

Of course it is. You can go to south america and find more insects than that in a square mile and their impact is significant. And remember that humans do not even cover the land. 75 percent of the earth is ocean or water. If we postulate that we cover perhaps 20 percent of land then the percentage of the earth that we directly control is almost insignificant. We can do a lot with that small amount but not as significant as we would like to believe. Even if we fired off all the nukes we would only make a significant short term change(50,000 years is short term compared to billions of years).

DDBooger
07-22-2009, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
Even if we fired off all the nukes we would only make a significant short term change(50,000 years is short term compared to billions of years). That would depend on the yield and type of warhead. The russians exploded a bomb that resonated around the world 3 times!!!! the Tsar Bomb. SCARY! if bombs as such were deployed the half-life and amount of devastation may take longer for nature to wash away. Youtube it and check it out. I know their are some nukes with low yield of fall out, but those are probably reserved for battlefield and areas close to us!

DDBooger
07-22-2009, 09:48 AM
You might include food on that list. But certainly the changes in tech will dictate a different set of circumstances than we can currently foretell. A lot of northern european theorists call that Ecological Modernization Theory, but it's shaky since most of our advances have expedited our path down faster degradation. I think it will require the education of developing nations from agrarian lifestyles which required large families for work to smaller families. China despite efforts to curb growth has still blown up, India I think per capita is growing faster, don't know for sure.

Farmersfan
07-22-2009, 09:51 AM
yessir, lots of new subscribers to Neo-malthusian theory. Basic addition and subtraction and carrying capacity on the planet is being wrenched to unsustainable levels. That word itself is useless, much like the rest of our flawed nomenclature (war on drugs, terror blah blah) Finding sustainability in a chaotic system (nature) is stupid, aiming for resilient civilization is more important. That's why I don't agree with the cash for clunkers, simply expediting more and more waste, no ingenuity. 21st century inevitably will close with a massive search for natural resources, WATER not oil being the biggest problem.

The human race is the only species on the planet with the intelligence (and audacity) to overcome the natural order of things. We import food from other areas to overcome famine in places. We are able to use technology to overcome heatwaves, floods, famine, droughts and any other occurances that could be labled as Thomas Malthus would see it or just random events. I personally believe that Nature will not be denied and will eventually have it's way. The more intelligent we become the more aggressive any Malthusian catastropy event will have to be in order to accomplish it's goal. Can you say Biological Global Killer? On a global scale what would YOU say our max sustainability level would be in relation to our capabilities now???? Just conversation.

DDBooger
07-22-2009, 09:57 AM
The human race is the only species on the planet with the intelligence (and audacity) to overcome the natural order of things. We import food from other areas to overcome famine in places. We are able to use technology to overcome heatwaves, floods, famine, droughts and any other occurances that could be labled as Thomas Malthus would see it or just random events. I personally believe that Nature will not be denied and will eventually have it's way. The more intelligent we become the more aggressive any Malthusian catastropy event will have to be in order to accomplish it's goal. Can you say Biological Global Killer? On a global scale what would YOU say our max sustainability level would be in relation to our capabilities now???? Just conversation. it is precisely our ability to expand past our own local biospheres that expedite degradation and create an island out of a planet with finite resources. Water is used for more things than drinking, irrigation etc. Many civilizations in the past from Mayan, Easter Island, Ankor Watt, Eurasia migration west and into Italy have been as a result of maxing out carrying capacity and needing to resettle in fertile areas. Now that we don't have to abide by carrying capacity of our local areas, we have created a global carrying capacity that simply won't nurture at the rate we use it industrially.

Farmersfan
07-22-2009, 10:02 AM
Of course it is. You can go to south america and find more insects than that in a square mile and their impact is significant. And remember that humans do not even cover the land. 75 percent of the earth is ocean or water. If we postulate that we cover perhaps 20 percent of land then the percentage of the earth that we directly control is almost insignificant. We can do a lot with that small amount but not as significant as we would like to believe. Even if we fired off all the nukes we would only make a significant short term change(50,000 years is short term compared to billions of years).

I don't think you are considering cause and effect. Firing off nukes might not have a devastating effect on our immediate living conditions but what does it do to the "other" life in it's area of influence? Example: Our entire existance on this planet is dependant on bacteria. Bacteria provides for all things. Some good and some bad. We can measure and analize millions and millions of generations of bacteria in just a few short (human) years. Introduce toxic wastes, temperature changes, radioactivities and you can expect substantial alterations in these bacteria. The human race is signigicantly altering the planet. Perhaps not so measureable at this time but a million years in the future this planet could be completely different than it would have been without our existence.

DDBooger
07-22-2009, 10:09 AM
I don't think you are considering cause and effect. Firing off nukes might not have a devastating effect on our immediate living conditions but what does it do to the "other" life in it's area of influence? Example: Our entire existance on this planet is dependant on bacteria. Bacteria provides for all things. Some good and some bad. We can measure and analize millions and millions of generations of bacteria in just a few short (human) years. Introduce toxic wastes, temperature changes, radioactivities and you can expect substantial alterations in these bacteria. The human race is signigicantly altering the planet. Perhaps not so measureable at this time but a million years in the future this planet could be completely different than it would have been without our existence. absolutely

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
07-22-2009, 10:53 AM
Well, I personally think this is an issue that people would look at as we have no impact so why bother trying to fix it if it isn't our fault? I think you can look at the simple things, like how the expanding urbanization and need for timber has had an impact on the levels of CO2 in our atmosphere. Personally, I don't know if any research has been accurately done to demonstrate the effects, but neither has any to prove that smoking causes cancer. And the temperatures at the poles has to be minimal to have an impact on the melting of the ice caps, which provide lots of albedo and reflect much of the sun's rays back into space. When all of that goes away, temperature increases will be something to really worry about. I say if we can help our cause and promote the survival of our species, we definitely should, regardless of where the fault lies.

sinfan75
07-22-2009, 02:52 PM
do you have an article for that? I'd love to read it. Wasn't an article but heard it on TV. Al Gore was giving a speech or something and said because of steps taken to eliminate certain emmissions that caused the "hole" had closed the hole up. So because of that it trapped the other "greenhouse"gases and that is why we have "climate change". Hell I'm still tryin to figure out how they knew there was a hole in the 1st place.

DDBooger
07-22-2009, 02:54 PM
Wasn't an article but heard it on TV. Al Gore was giving a speech or something and said because of steps taken to eliminate certain emmissions that caused the "hole" had closed the hole up. So because of that it trapped the other "greenhouse"gases and that is why we have "climate change". Hell I'm still tryin to figure out how they knew there was a hole in the 1st place. That does sound stupid, I'll google it. Thanks anyway. They are two very different things.

Keith7
07-22-2009, 03:10 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f4/Instrumental_Temperature_Record.png

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/51/Mauna_Loa_Carbon_Dioxide-en.svg/800px-Mauna_Loa_Carbon_Dioxide-en.svg.png http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e5/Glacier_Mass_Balance.png

BILLYFRED0000
07-22-2009, 03:13 PM
I don't think you are considering cause and effect. Firing off nukes might not have a devastating effect on our immediate living conditions but what does it do to the "other" life in it's area of influence? Example: Our entire existance on this planet is dependant on bacteria. Bacteria provides for all things. Some good and some bad. We can measure and analize millions and millions of generations of bacteria in just a few short (human) years. Introduce toxic wastes, temperature changes, radioactivities and you can expect substantial alterations in these bacteria. The human race is signigicantly altering the planet. Perhaps not so measureable at this time but a million years in the future this planet could be completely different than it would have been without our existence.

Yes but it changed more in the 100,000 years before industrialization than we can predict now. And there is no measurable way in which we can impact our future. There is also the fact that the temperature data is completely screwed up and the Maldives have only shown a couple of millimeters of sea rise in the last 100 years and all the ice is gone except for Anartica. And Anartica is getting colder and the ice pack is growing there. The bacteria would change with animal life as much as with us since bacteria depend on living things for food. So the bacteria arguement is also moot since more bacteria live in the oceans the all the continents together times 1000. Since we have minimal effect on the ocean I see very little diff.

BILLYFRED0000
07-22-2009, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the charts keith. they prove the point. The co2 goes in a straight line while the hottest year in the last 100 was 1936 according to nasa. And the chart is no longer accurate as the last year brought us down . 7 f or about .3 centigrade which places back at 0 change for the last 150 years yet co2 is still going straight up. No 1 to 1 correlation. And the biggest contributors to the factors, the antartic ice sheet for example has 90 percent of the worlds fresh water and 80 percent of its ice and it is growing colder and the icepack is getting denser. Once again does not correlate with the co2 studies. Add to that the fact that the tempertature data is totally useless and you get the picture.
You see the reporting stations have not changed in forty years but the locations have changed dramatically. Most are built and surrounded now by heat sinks and naturally the data is higher. For example. DFW is cosistently 5 degrees higher than my house in Celina. But for this area we get reported as the official high at dfw. Useless data. That would indicate that all the temp increase is due to environment and not to any weather factors.

PPHSfan
07-22-2009, 03:29 PM
It's not the Planet that's in trouble. It's mankind. Ole Mother Earth was here long before us, and she will still be thriving long after we're gone.

JasperDog94
07-22-2009, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
It's not the Planet that's in trouble. It's mankind. Ole Mother Earth was here long before us, and she will still be thriving long after we're gone. Exactly. I've always laughed at the signs that say "Save the Earth". What they should say is "Save the People".:)

BILLYFRED0000
07-22-2009, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f4/Instrumental_Temperature_Record.png

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/51/Mauna_Loa_Carbon_Dioxide-en.svg/800px-Mauna_Loa_Carbon_Dioxide-en.svg.png http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e5/Glacier_Mass_Balance.png

Oh and I forgot that the glacier data is also useless since they only measure 47 of the worlds glaciers. If you cherry pick the data you can make it what you want.

DDBooger
07-22-2009, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Exactly. I've always laughed at the signs that say "Save the Earth". What they should say is "Save the People".:) Well Like Wisdom requires intelligence, saving the planet is saving people. What you propose is Anthropocentric, but we don't exist outside of nature but operate from within its paradigm. No amount of technology will circumnavigate its mistreatment. Respect for it is something even that crazy bastard Nugent promotes.

PPHSfan
07-22-2009, 03:54 PM
HEY!!

Lay off the crazy bastard Nugent.:D

He's one of the most honest pundits in the land.

He doesn't spin to what you wanna hear. He speaks HIS mind.

Period.

When I hear the Motor City Madman speak. I believe HE believes everything he says.

Can't say that about Hannity and Maher.

BILLYFRED0000
07-22-2009, 03:59 PM
Well Like Wisdom requires intelligence, saving the planet is saving people. What you propose is Anthropocentric, but we don't exist outside of nature but operate from within its paradigm. No amount of technology will circumnavigate its mistreatment. Respect for it is something even that crazy bastard Nugent promotes.

You are correct in saying that technology cannot prevent it from being mistreated. It cannot be mistreated. It is not a living thing. What matters is how we adapt to existing conditions and the realization that we are not as smart nor powerful as we think we are.

waterboy
07-22-2009, 04:04 PM
Hey, I don't think Nugent is "crazy" at all! The only crazy people are those that can't see the forest for the trees, i.e. those that won't listen because they don't want to hear the truth, or those that that blindly believe everything the media and the government tells them. Nugent tells it like it truly is, not the way YOU want it to be, and I respect a man who tells it like it is and doesn't care what others think.:p

waterboy
07-22-2009, 04:07 PM
Well Like Wisdom requires intelligence, saving the planet is saving people. What you propose is Anthropocentric, but we don't exist outside of nature but operate from within its paradigm. No amount of technology will circumnavigate its mistreatment. Respect for it is something even that crazy bastard Nugent promotes.
Yes "wisdom requires intelligence", but being intelligent doesn't mean you are wise.;) Take you, for example,.........:D

PPHSfan
07-22-2009, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
Yes "wisdom requires intelligence", but being intelligent doesn't mean you are wise.;) Take you, for example,.........:D

ooohhhhhh.

That was harsh.:D

Trashman
07-22-2009, 04:19 PM
It's inevitable that our presence here on earth will effect the natural order of things.

So you think that man kind is not a part of the natural order of things?:rolleyes:

DDBooger
07-22-2009, 04:27 PM
Yes "wisdom requires intelligence", but being intelligent doesn't mean you are wise.;) Take you, for example,.........:D lol my ability to articulate myself and your self imposed ignorance isn't my fault, you can say I lack wisdom, I just believe nature gave you limitations you haven't overcome! Haha ;) so silly waterboy

waterboy
07-22-2009, 04:58 PM
lol my ability to articulate myself and your self imposed ignorance isn't my fault, you can say I lack wisdom, I just believe nature gave you limitations you haven't overcome! Haha ;) so silly waterboy
No....you can articulate, or ejaculate, yourself all you want, but your ignorance never ceases to amaze.;) You lack wisdom, that's a fact that is made obvious everytime you post anything political. I really believe you could actually be intelligent, but that intelligence is limited by your obvious blindness to anyone else's points of view. Wisdom tells me that you are obviously overcompensating for feelings of inferiority.

DDBooger
07-22-2009, 05:15 PM
Book sense doesn't make you wise, my little retarded, ignorant, self-indulgent, idiot friend. You may think you're smarter with all your gay, political, asinine, condescending jargon, but there is NO WAY you'll ever have the common sense I have, which in my opinion makes me smarter than you. :taunt: :thinking: Hmmmm......I think sheeple like you are the ignorant ones........I guess that makes us even.:thinking: lol im 32, I've traveled the planet and gained knowledge 1st hand as well as through cognitive learning and the ability to critique and analyze complex ideas. I lived in the real world before I advanced my education and arrived at a point where I'm comfortable in what I know and certainly feel no challenge from your simple acceptance of mediocrity and self-aggrandizing stupidity and ascertaining that I have no common sense because I'm ever vigilant in ALWAYS learning while you remain static, unmoved and sheepish to your anchor that is your narrow minded perspective. I only argue with you cause it's fun, you're an diot, I've seen better arguments from 18 year old conservatives on sites that specialize on this very topic. Your an old man with axe to grind with those who had an opportunity to advance their mind beyond what a pundit tells em and you believe is self taught! Truthfully, I don't know why I waste my time. But generally it's because people like PPHSFan can give and take a point and don't condescend or pretend to have a higher than though attitude. Perhaps I'm displaying that now, but I would have no problem deconstructing anything you advocate or put foward, it's merely limbic brain asinine rhetoric taught to you by those you alighn yourself with!

charlesrixey
07-22-2009, 05:26 PM
That would depend on the yield and type of warhead. The russians exploded a bomb that resonated around the world 3 times!!!! the Tsar Bomb. SCARY! if bombs as such were deployed the half-life and amount of devastation may take longer for nature to wash away. Youtube it and check it out. I know their are some nukes with low yield of fall out, but those are probably reserved for battlefield and areas close to us!

read the cold and the dark or the long darkness, both including essays by carl sagan and others, or many other books about nuclear war

the long-term effects are nowhere near as long-term as you might think.

Our planet is resilient

my job in the marine corps is to determine the effects of a WMD attack, in its many forms. Even before that i have been interested in nuclear war for almost fifteen years. Even a full-out nuclear war would heal in a relatively quick period of time.

To think that humans will raise global temperatures drastically is not feasible at the level we are talking about.

DDBooger
07-22-2009, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
read the cold and the dark or the long darkness, both including essays by carl sagan and others, or many other books about nuclear war

the long-term effects are nowhere near as long-term as you might think.

Our planet is resilient

my job in the marine corps is to determine the effects of a WMD attack, in its many forms. Even before that i have been interested in nuclear war for almost fifteen years. Even a full-out nuclear war would heal in a relatively quick period of time.

To think that humans will raise global temperatures drastically is not feasible at the level we are talking about. I am not an expert and didn't specify the length of time I was talking about, just stating that bombs are not all the same and returning to normalcy really is dependent on saturation of an area and what type of ecosystem in particular is effected being that some are more sensitive than others. I completely agree with your assertion that nature will fix itself, it's just whether it would be done while we exist.

PPHSfan
07-22-2009, 05:35 PM
I don't have Common Sense.

I have Uncommon Sense.:D

DDBooger
07-22-2009, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
I have Uncommon Sense.:D
in todays atmosphere, I'd say perhaps you're right.

waterboy
07-22-2009, 06:44 PM
lol im 32, I've traveled the planet and gained knowledge 1st hand as well as through cognitive learning and the ability to critique and analyze complex ideas. I lived in the real world before I advanced my education and arrived at a point where I'm comfortable in what I know and certainly feel no challenge from your simple acceptance of mediocrity and self-aggrandizing stupidity and ascertaining that I have no common sense because I'm ever vigilant in ALWAYS learning while you remain static, unmoved and sheepish to your anchor that is your narrow minded perspective. I only argue with you cause it's fun, you're an diot, I've seen better arguments from 18 year old conservatives on sites that specialize on this very topic. Your an old man with axe to grind with those who had an opportunity to advance their mind beyond what a pundit tells em and you believe is self taught! Truthfully, I don't know why I waste my time. But generally it's because people like PPHSFan can give and take a point and don't condescend or pretend to have a higher than though attitude. Perhaps I'm displaying that now, but I would have no problem deconstructing anything you advocate or put foward, it's merely limbic brain asinine rhetoric taught to you by those you alighn yourself with!
I only argue with real men, so, no, I'm not gonna argue with you.:D Don't get your panties in a wad, just because I don't see things the way you do. You may think you know more than me, I won't dispute that you think you do, but the truth is you don't. Liberal idiots like you come a dime a dozen, whose intelligence is only exceeded by their ignorance. I'll never follow your radical ideas, because they don't make sense to me, or to anybody who actually works for a living. Come down off your little pink pony, take your dress off, put on a pair of jeans, and do what the normal working class people do for a few years and you'll definitely see what I'm talking about. I know it's beneath you, but that's the only way you'll ever have a "real", well-rounded perspective on the issues that affect the majority of this country, myself included......that's REALITY. If you did this, I know you would see things in a much different light. In summation, I'm not bothered that you have a different point of view, it's actually refreshing and I encourage it, but in my eyes, your point of view is limited because you cannot see the negative effects your ideas are having on your fellow Americans. I don't know about you, but I would prefer to keep the money I earn, not give it away to those that will not try.

DDBooger
07-22-2009, 06:54 PM
I only argue with real men, so, no, I'm not gonna argue with you.:D Don't get your panties in a wad, just because I don't see things the way you do. You may think you know more than me, I won't dispute that you think you do, but the truth is you don't. Liberal idiots like you come a dime a dozen, whose intelligence is only exceeded by their ignorance. I'll never follow your radical ideas, because they don't make sense to me, or to anybody who actually works for a living. Come down off your little pink pony, take your dress off, put on a pair of jeans, and do what the normal working class people do for a few years and you'll definitely see what I'm talking about. I know it's beneath you, but that's the only way you'll ever have a "real", well-rounded perspective on the issues that affect the majority of this country, myself included......that's REALITY. If you did this, I know you would see things in a much different light. In summation, I'm not bothered that you have a different point of view, it's actually refreshing and I encourage it, but in my eyes, your point of view is limited because you cannot see the negative effects your ideas are having on your fellow Americans. I don't know about you, but I would prefer to keep the money I earn, not give it away to those that will not try. real men? hahaha please, leave it to you to resort to a cave painting, knuckle dragging assertion in effort to sway your inability to rationalize your argument. So I never worked for a living? LOL my first job was in HS, I worked ever since. I paid my college, I worked independently as a contracted investigator for lawyers (defendant and plaintiff), was a residential counselor with abused children, a teacher, saved up bonus monies from law firms I worked exclusively for and returned to school I'm a few years from a Ph.D and I challenge you to tell me I didn' work! haha you are casting aspersions without even knowing my story. I have a well rounded perspective. I saw first hand how companies did the risk analysis for faulty products and what a human was worth in comparison to the bottom line. And once again, you go to the safe spot of painting me with the brush of a Modern democrat, when in all reality, I am not. As a matter of fact my current journal submission is a negative critique of Obama's policies as sloppy and destructive based on rushed decision making based on poll numbers. I earned my education! And yes I like to keep my money, but my life's ambition isn't to be rich, but to be important to something rather than just a number to everyone else. Money doesn't motivate me as much as purpose. I live a comfortable life, but rest assured it isn't as a result of me being out of touch with society, society is my laboratory ;)

mustang04
07-22-2009, 07:15 PM
Do any of you want to truly understand things....watch this...I already know some people aren't going to like it because it requires them to really think....I can only hope some are truly open-minded enough to come to realization about this country, our future, and our potential

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7065205277695921912

and seriously...don't come on here bashing it unless you watch it all the way through, thank you!:)

waterboy
07-22-2009, 07:43 PM
real men? hahaha please, leave it to you to resort to a cave painting, knuckle dragging assertion in effort to sway your inability to rationalize your argument. So I never worked for a living? LOL my first job was in HS, I worked ever since. I paid my college, I worked independently as a contracted investigator for lawyers (defendant and plaintiff), was a residential counselor with abused children, a teacher, saved up bonus monies from law firms I worked exclusively for and returned to school I'm a few years from a Ph.D and I challenge you to tell me I didn' work! haha you are casting aspersions without even knowing my story. I have a well rounded perspective. I saw first hand how companies did the risk analysis for faulty products and what a human was worth in comparison to the bottom line. And once again, you go to the safe spot of painting me with the brush of a Modern democrat, when in all reality, I am not. As a matter of fact my current journal submission is a negative critique of Obama's policies as sloppy and destructive based on rushed decision making based on poll numbers. I earned my education! And yes I like to keep my money, but my life's ambition isn't to be rich, but to be important to something rather than just a number to everyone else. Money doesn't motivate me as much as purpose. I live a comfortable life, but rest assured it isn't as a result of me being out of touch with society, society is my laboratory ;)
Funny thing is I was thinking YOU couldn't rationalize your argument, of course, I have a totally different perspective than you........go figure! :thinking: While I admire what you've done with your life, I still say you don't have a clue about the everyday realities of the working class, and neither do the politicians. My priorities are God, my family, my friends, and my job, and anything that affects that balance is not going to be acceptable to me. When somebody tries to take something from me that belongs to me, I will definitely take a defensive posture, and I WILL fight for what I believe in. If that makes me a "cave painting, knuckle dragging....", then so be it. I like that reference, by the way.:D The most sensible thing I've seen in your post was your journal submission, a "negative critique of Obama's policies as sloppy and destructive based on rushed decision making based on poll numbers". Now, THAT even I can agree with you on! I find it amusing that these so-called polls can say something totally opposite from what everybody I come in contact with says. I come in contact with hundreds of people daily, and for the life of me, I can't see any validity to most of these so-called polls. Where, and who, are they polling is what I wonder about?

DDBooger
07-22-2009, 07:56 PM
Funny thing is I was thinking YOU couldn't rationalize your argument, of course, I have a totally different perspective than you........go figure! :thinking: While I admire what you've done with your life, I still say you don't have a clue about the everyday realities of the working class, and neither do the politicians. My priorities are God, my family, my friends, and my job, and anything that affects that balance is not going to be acceptable to me. When somebody tries to take something from me that belongs to me, I will definitely take a defensive posture, and I WILL fight for what I believe in. If that makes me a "cave painting, knuckle dragging....", then so be it. I like that reference, by the way.:D The most sensible thing I've seen in your post was your journal submission, a "negative critique of Obama's policies as sloppy and destructive based on rushed decision making based on poll numbers". Now, THAT even I can agree with you on! I find it amusing that these so-called polls can say something totally opposite from what everybody I come in contact with says. I come in contact with hundreds of people daily, and for the life of me, I can't see any validity to most of these so-called polls. Where, and who, are they polling is what I wonder about?
1st: yeah that knuckle draggin, cave painting thing is how significant other describes me and my friends during football. I must admit, I revert to slant browed behavior. :D

2: yes, you likely won't find representative opinions from people you are in contact with. Texas is certainly a unique place :) Never the less, my point to Obama is that while he has ideas, his rush to beat the inevitable Presidential slide that all Presidents go through is making his policies sloppy and dangerous. It is more a reflection of our immediate access to news and talking points meaning more than true substance.

3: Obviously we won't agree on everything, you think me absent of life context. Perhaps in comparison to some aspects of life you've experienced, but no different than what I've experienced that you never will. We all have unique life experiences and similar ones.

MDIBTY contest anyone? haha ;)

SintonFan
07-22-2009, 08:03 PM
Booger, you just spent typing over 1500 words putting down a fellow poster because he has a different view than you.
Do you not see your arrogance and intolerance of those who have a view different than yours?

DDBooger
07-22-2009, 08:04 PM
Booger, you just spent typing over 1500 words putting down a fellow poster because he has a different view than you.
Do you not see your arrogance and intolerance of those who have a view different than yours? there is likely 10000 words putting me down as a liberal, out of touch, ignorant as well coming from more than 1 poster! You don't see that as intolerant? I'm just one person.

SintonFan
07-22-2009, 08:09 PM
there is likely 10000 words putting me down as a liberal, out of touch, ignorant as well coming from more than 1 poster! You don't see that as intolerant? I'm just one person.
You paint that big red "X" on your back because you come off as a jerk who is alien to any kind of humility.:nerd:

DDBooger
07-22-2009, 08:14 PM
You paint that big red "X" on your back because you come off as a jerk who is alien to any kind of humility.:nerd:
sorry you feel that way, oh well. :cool:

waterboy
07-22-2009, 08:14 PM
It's okay, SintonFan. I can still whoop his arse! Hahahaha!:D

DDBooger
07-22-2009, 08:15 PM
It's okay, SintonFan. I can still whoop his arse! Hahahaha!:D maybe in thumb wars:p

waterboy
07-22-2009, 08:16 PM
He IS alien to any kind of humility.:D That's okay, he can live his life the way he wants, but it will come back to bite him in the arse later in life.:D

DDBooger
07-22-2009, 08:18 PM
He IS alien to any kind of humility.:D That's okay, he can live his life the way he wants, but it will come back to bite him in the arse later in life.:D LOL
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd171/calliaste/Smileys/scared.gif

waterboy
07-22-2009, 08:18 PM
maybe in thumb wars:p
Hahahaha.........that too! I'm game! Do you need instructions?;)

DDBooger
07-22-2009, 08:19 PM
Hahahaha.........that too! I'm game! Do you need instructions?;) yeah, hold on, let me go get you some crayons and Big Chief Tablet haha ;)

waterboy
07-22-2009, 08:23 PM
yeah, hold on, let me go get you some crayons and Big Chief Tablet haha ;)
Okay.........meet me in person so I can actually use them! I've got ideas! Hahahaha!

Keith7
07-22-2009, 08:24 PM
there is likely 10000 words putting me down as a liberal, out of touch, ignorant as well coming from more than 1 poster! You don't see that as intolerant? I'm just one person.

I try not to follow these types of threads closely anymore so I'm not sure how much experience you have arguing with these bozos, but I have learned the best way to combat these guys is to just ignore them..

They will ignore evidence, resort to name calling, and you have a 0% chance at changing their minds. They will argue the same points until the end of time even if you prove them wrong.

You and I know that global warming is real and there is way more than enough evidence to prove it but they will still find some obscure website filled with half truths every couple of months and make a thread out of it just hoping to lure you in so they can again ignore evidence, resort to name calling and give you no chance to change your mind..

Now if you just ignore the ignorance of these close minded old farts who want nothing else than to drive their V-12 2-ton dooley and not give two cents about the possible consequences then the thread will get one or two of these old farts will pat each other on the butt and the thread will be gone by the end of the night.

So my advice if you want. If you enjoy listening to people talk about stuff they have no clue about and act like they do to get their point across, then just ignore this message all together.

DDBooger
07-22-2009, 08:25 PM
Okay.........meet me in person so I can actually use them! I've got ideas! Hahahaha! NO PROB, that can be arranged :)

DDBooger
07-22-2009, 08:26 PM
I try not to follow these types of threads closely anymore so I'm not sure how much experience you have arguing with these bozos, but I have learned the best way to combat these guys is to just ignore them..

They will ignore evidence, resort to name calling, and you have a 0% chance at changing their minds. They will argue the same points until the end of time even if you prove them wrong.

You and I know that global warming is real and there is way more than enough evidence to prove it but they will still find some obscure website filled with half truths every couple of months and make a thread out of it just hoping to lure you in so they can again ignore evidence, resort to name calling and give you no chance to change your mind..

Now if you just ignore the ignorance of these close minded old farts who want nothing else than to drive their V-12 2-ton dooley and not give two cents about the possible consequences then the thread will get one or two of these old farts will pat each other on the butt and the thread will be gone by the end of the night.

So my advice if you want. If you enjoy listening to people talk about stuff they have no clue about and act like they do to get their point across, then just ignore this message all together. what is worse, those "old farts" or the Cowboys Keith? :D

Blastoderm55
07-22-2009, 08:28 PM
Do you not see your arrogance and intolerance of those who have a view different than yours?

But everything Booger says, whether agreed with or not, is met by the same condescending attitude by many posters. So quick to resort to name calling are his critics.

Keith7
07-22-2009, 08:29 PM
what is worse, those "old farts" or the Cowboys Keith? :D

The cowturds.. I actually get a kick out of the old farts every now and then..

waterboy
07-22-2009, 08:30 PM
NO PROB, that can be arranged :)
Sent a PM...:D

DDBooger
07-22-2009, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
But everything Booger says, whether agreed with or not, is met by the same condescending attitude by many posters. So quick to resort to name calling are his critics. I don't count, I'm just arrogant! LOL ;)

DDBooger
07-22-2009, 08:32 PM
Sent a PM...:D Replied ;)

ronwx5x
07-22-2009, 08:33 PM

Equal opportunity insulter?:D

Actually DD, most people are probably in awe of your use of the English language. Most, me included, don't really understand half of what you say, but you do it so well. :eek:

I must say though, I see other people on here, liberal and conservative alike, resort to name-calling when they have no real answer, and that's not generally you. You do sometimes baffle us however!

DDBooger
07-22-2009, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
Equal opportunity insulter?:D

Actually DD, most people are probably in awe of your use of the English language. Most, me included, don't really understand half of what you say, but you do it so well. :eek:

I must say though, I see other people on here, liberal and conservative alike, resort to name-calling when they have no real answer, and that's not generally you. You do sometimes baffle us however! Having never had a problem with you are PPHSFan should be proof I don't seek it out and we likely don't agree on very much! ;) I am amicable, but when people try to corner me, well, what appears arrogant may just be reactionary.

sinfan75
07-22-2009, 08:45 PM
What happened to the hole in the ozone being repaired? Ya'll are thread robbers!!:D

charlesrixey
07-22-2009, 09:01 PM

So my advice if you want. If you enjoy listening to people talk about stuff they have no clue about and act like they do to get their point across, then just ignore this message all together.

while reading atlas shrugged many years back i came across a very pertinent quote. I am not an objectivist, but rand definately got this right:

"Intellectuals? You might have to worry about any other breed of men, but not about the modern intellectuals: they'll swallow anything. I don't feel so safe about the lousiest wharf rat in the longshoreman's union: he's liable to remember suddenly that he is a man - and then i wont' be able to keep him in line. But the intellectuals? That's the one thing they've forgotten long ago. I guess its the one thing their education was aimed to make them forget. Do anything you please to the intellectuals. They'll take it."

(from page 506 of my paperback copy, written in 1957)

if you really want a de ja vu moment read the rest of the paragraph prior

most 'conservatives' or libertarians' agree that the environment is important, and things like anti-pollution and energy conservation are just good sense techniques for the future. Whatever one believes about global warming, however, the truth is our government cares more about control than the environment.

the cap and trade bill (if it passes) will not positively affect global warming

trying to force our economy to accept sterner enviro-measures when china and india do not will just cause our economy to further collapse down the road when we can't compete. And once we can't compete, we won't be able to lead the world in enviro-technologies any more anyway, because we won't be able to afford them.

The reality is that the goal of the environmental left is not wholly innocent. Intellectuals can try to defend this, but in reality they can't, much less any other of the incredible ideas being floated around in congress. if they wanted to fix it, they would use nuclear power, whose positives far outweigh the negatives, including a near limitless supply, no carbon emissions and more efficiency. But their main goal isn't energy independence with clean energy, or they would want nuclear power. The amount of radioactive waste created pales in comparison to any other form of pollutant in energy creation.

Txbroadcaster
07-22-2009, 09:05 PM

WOW..REALLY?...REALLY?

I dont always agree with Boog, but I have NEVER seen him name call until someone else starts it first( and I have a feeling 90% of what BOTH these 2 were saying was tongue in cheek fun by both)

People get way to quick to hit the name calling button and I know because I DONT align to left or right when I disagree with the either side, I get hit by that side as being extreme to the other side.

Just strange that you single out Boog when he was responding to the EXACT attack on him.

ronwx5x
07-22-2009, 09:07 PM
What happened to the hole in the ozone being repaired? Ya'll are thread robbers!!:D

I don't know about a hole in the ozona, but I'm from a "hole" called Ozona!

sinfan75
07-22-2009, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
while reading atlas shrugged many years back i came across a very pertinent quote. I am not an objectivist, but rand definately got this right:

"Intellectuals? You might have to worry about any other breed of men, but not about the modern intellectuals: they'll swallow anything. I don't feel so safe about the lousiest wharf rat in the longshoreman's union: he's liable to remember suddenly that he is a man - and then i wont' be able to keep him in line. But the intellectuals? That's the one thing they've forgotten long ago. I guess its the one thing their education was aimed to make them forget. Do anything you please to the intellectuals. They'll take it."

(from page 506 of my paperback copy, written in 1957)

if you really want a de ja vu moment read the rest of the paragraph prior

most 'conservatives' or libertarians' agree that the environment is important, and things like anti-pollution and energy conservation are just good sense techniques for the future. Whatever one believes about global warming, however, the truth is our government cares more about control than the environment.

the cap and trade bill (if it passes) will not positively affect global warming

trying to force our economy to accept sterner enviro-measures when china and india do not will just cause our economy to further collapse down the road when we can't compete. And once we can't compete, we won't be able to lead the world in enviro-technologies any more anyway, because we won't be able to afford them.

The reality is that the goal of the environmental left is not wholly innocent. Intellectuals can try to defend this, but in reality they can't, much less any other of the incredible ideas being floated around in congress. if they wanted to fix it, they would use nuclear power, whose positives far outweigh the negatives, including a near limitless supply, no carbon emissions and more efficiency. But their main goal isn't energy independence with clean energy, or they would want nuclear power. The amount of radioactive waste created pales in comparison to any other form of pollutant in energy creation. Energy independence without nuclear OR oil & gas drilling in the U.S is a pipedream. Without these 3 fuels, it will never happen. There is enough oil & gas in the U.S. to sustain us until nuclear, wind, solar,bio-fuels and water are abundant enough to replace oil&gas which I think would 50 years away. We have enough oil&gas to feed this country for 100 years or more. If the U.S. just went crazy drilling RIGHT now we'd be energy independent in 5 years by most predictions.

SintonFan
07-22-2009, 09:57 PM
sorry you feel that way, oh well. :cool:
Anyone who disagrees with you feels the same way. You attack them personally in ways that are meant to demean and undermine their arguments not with substantive issues but by questioning the intelligence of any offending view.

SintonFan
07-22-2009, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
WOW..REALLY?...REALLY?

I dont always agree with Boog, but I have NEVER seen him name call until someone else starts it first( and I have a feeling 90% of what BOTH these 2 were saying was tongue in cheek fun by both)

People get way to quick to hit the name calling button and I know because I DONT align to left or right when I disagree with the either side, I get hit by that side as being extreme to the other side.

Just strange that you single out Boog when he was responding to the EXACT attack on him.
Not strange but he does paint a big red "X" on himself because he does come off as arrogant or intolerant of others' views. If you want to call the "calling names" then so be it. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck then I wonder if it just might be a duck.
Aww heck, I only single out Boog as much as he does me. "Call it reactionary" if you will... :D

Txbroadcaster
07-22-2009, 10:09 PM
Not strange but he does paint a big red "X" on himself because he does come off as arrogant or intolerant of others' views. If you want to call the "calling names" then so be it. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck then I wonder if it just might be a duck.
Aww heck, I only single out Boog as much as he does me. "Call it reactionary" if you will... :D

I was not saying u was name calling, I was just shocked you picked that post to say he was attacking when all he was doing was responding

DDBooger
07-22-2009, 10:10 PM
Anyone who disagrees with you feels the same way. You attack them personally in ways that are meant to demean and undermine their arguments not with substantive issues but by questioning the intelligence of any offending view. opinions vary...and I am more than certain I've provided substance, you just don't like what it says.

turbostud
07-22-2009, 10:22 PM
I am taking Intro to Logic right now and having learned something about Deductive/Inductive arguments, Valid/Invalid arguments, Cogent/Uncogent arguments, and Weak/Strong arguments, I must say this thread is very entertaining. :D

SintonFan
07-22-2009, 10:29 PM
I was not saying u was name calling, I was just shocked you picked that post to say he was attacking when all he was doing was responding
I was pointing that his responses are very abrasive and demeaning. The timing of which could be better no doubt.

SintonFan
07-22-2009, 10:38 PM
opinions vary...and I am more than certain I've provided substance, you just don't like what it says.
Opinions vary? My opinion is just that. It is flexible. Whether or not I like a said opinion doesn't force me to demean the other viewpoint or person just because I don't like it.

DDBooger
07-22-2009, 10:43 PM
Opinions vary? My opinion is just that. It is flexible. Whether or not I like a said opinion doesn't force me to demean the other viewpoint or person just because I don't like it. SF you are likely the most condescending poster on here. You pose questions to people in a manner that will provide you the only answer available and then chastise them either for their youthful exuberance or being unaware of some alternative that only you or what you promote can answer. Funny that I think it was Keith who called you the biggest bully. I think you have fun with people that just shout out liberal stances w/o being able to articulate it in a manner that makes sense to you under the umbrella you create for yourself by constantly asking circular reasoning questions. Your problem with me is you can't control my answers nor how I explain things. Even mor e disarming is my ability to see things from a pragmatic point of view, I can look at both sides and point out the inadequacies unabashedly yet I'd be surprised to find you ever start a thread asking questions of the right. Did you ever start a thread in the last administration talking about the huge expansion of the fed and spending?

SintonFan
07-22-2009, 11:48 PM
SF you are likely the most condescending poster on here. You pose questions to people in a manner that will provide you the only answer available and then chastise them either for their youthful exuberance or being unaware of some alternative that only you or what you promote can answer. Funny that I think it was Keith who called you the biggest bully. I think you have fun with people that just shout out liberal stances w/o being able to articulate it in a manner that makes sense to you under the umbrella you create for yourself by constantly asking circular reasoning questions. Your problem with me is you can't control my answers nor how I explain things. Even mor e disarming is my ability to see things from a pragmatic point of view, I can look at both sides and point out the inadequacies unabashedly yet I'd be surprised to find you ever start a thread asking questions of the right. Did you ever start a thread in the last administration talking about the huge expansion of the fed and spending?
I think I hit a nerve there buddy.:eek:
You might not see it but I give you a taste of your own "circular reasoning", condescending attitude and arrogance and it gets under your skin. Yes, it is not my nature to point this out, but you are not the smartest person here and that hurts doesn't it? When I point out that you tend to be controlling and derogatory toward any issue that you don't agree with you become personal with your attacks. That fact that you have to resort to calling the other person "unintelligent", "condescending" or less than(you) is arrogant and abrasive. You have done that over and over again while posting you are not from any side of debates, left or right. That stance is a falsehood.
Why should I start a topic criticizing the right when I am un-abashedly from the right? I don't hide anything. You post you are pragmatic but the vast majority of your post support one side. I know the left controls the language used in debates but that doesn't mean you get off without some form of criticism here.
I do agree we can talk this over a beer. Heck, I'll even show you my homemade electronic computer board I use for my Christmas Shows. :D
To prevent this from escalating, this will be my last post in this thread.:)

DDBooger
07-23-2009, 05:14 AM
I think I hit a nerve there buddy.:eek: haha based on what? seriously, no need to apply dime store psych! Nothing I said permeated as my nerves were rattled, I merely expose you for what you are. If you haven't noticed, in the last few weeks more and more people have either came out in my defense or suggested they knew what I was talking about or even despite their differences with me enjoy the prose in which I explain them.

.You might not see it but I give you a taste of your own "circular reasoning", condescending attitude and arrogance and it gets under your skin. Yes, it is not my nature to point this out, but you are not the smartest person here and that hurts doesn't it? haha YOU on the other hand revert back to your concern that I feel I'm the smartest person in here. haha What gets under my skin? Certainly not anything you individuals who resort to name baiting and fixed answers put forth. No not at all. I can't believe you are still vexed at your belief that I think I'm the smartest person in here. I've never even stated that, but apparently my confidence has "struck a nerve."

.When I point out that you tend to be controlling and derogatory toward any issue that you don't agree with you become personal with your attacks. Again, you were checked on this by others and I had those who rushed to my defense, I didn't even have to defend myself LOL. I think THAT irked YOU! ;)

That fact that you have to resort to calling the other person "unintelligent", "condescending" or less than(you) is arrogant and abrasive. You have done that over and over again while posting you are not from any side of debates, left or right. I imagine I sound as such when you can't poke holes in my logic, while you certainly try, it continuously falls on itself for what it is, baseless rhetoric absent of any exploration for the truth. I don't find you unintelligent, not one bit, but please, to consider me condescending and abrasive is like the pot calling the kettle black. You're the first to pounce on a person when you see any inkling of something that is NOT conservative in framing.

That stance is a falsehood. Naturally, cause you say so! haha :rolleyes: I've had people from PPHSFan, ETB, Waterboy, Txbroadcaster and JasperDog tell me they agree with me on points. But I imagine I've converted them right? haha NO, simply looking at things for what they are. But that must have been glossed over.

Why should I start a topic criticizing the right when I am un-abashedly from the right? I don't hide anything. And that is precisely why for 8 years we had a Conservative President carrying out Liberal expansion of the govt. Staying mum only proves you look for statements not action.

You post you are pragmatic absolutely, otherwise I'd never have people tell me they agree with me, now would I?

but the vast majority of your post support one side. Support? no, I'm not supporting one side, I'm merely pointing out the other side, which is often misconstrued or ignored for the benefit of what you propose. Please, you can keep trying to corner me in to something I'm not because it makes you feel safe and allows for you to cast the same old lines, but no, I think I've proven that I can examine either side. I think we've covered this, when I see people on the left daily start threads bashing the right, I'll interject when I see hypocrisy.

I know the left controls the language used in debates but that doesn't mean you get off without some form of criticism here. Again, you are moving from a political ideology back to ME, who's under who's skin? Come on, it's apparent to everyone you are no longer arguing the issues, you hate that in your head you've conjured up this ideal of me as some vain member of a board that by these exchanges I build my credentials haha Nothing more than fun SF, you on the other hand are quite the character!

I do agree we can talk this over a beer. Heck, I'll even show you my homemade electronic computer board I use for my Christmas Shows. :D I'd prefer it, I think it alleviates the notion that I base my intelligence on my exchanges in a 3a football board!

To prevent this from escalating, this will be my last post in this thread.:) It only escalated to this because you are concerned about my arrogance and my apparent self promoting intelligence. Had we stuck to the issue I believe it would have been more fun. Oh and so I don't come off as such a "nasty" guy, I did apologize to WB, but again, if you think about it, my responses were as a result of a direct challenge to me 1st

as TXB and Blasto so adequately pointed out and Ronwx5x came to my defense for.
You made a mountain out of a mole hill likely because it bothers you that I can respond and do so intelligently if I might add to your apparent disdain! ;)

BILLYFRED0000
07-23-2009, 08:29 AM

You pretty much have to ignore Keith. He just spouts other peoples research and then says it is true. He does not look at his own data or contradicting data and then makes the arguement that it is obvious. Well I agree that warming has been going on for the last 130,000 years but it is now time for a cooling cycle or will be soon. So the natural pattern is still there and man has little or no effect whatsoever on it's outcome.

And while you have every right to be proud of your abilities always remember that there is another guy out there that is better than you and if there is then it is best to remain humble and ignore and refrain from ad hominen attacks.

DDBooger
07-23-2009, 09:01 AM

And while you have every right to be proud of your abilities always remember that there is another guy out there that is better than you and if there is then it is best to remain humble and ignore and refrain from ad hominen attacks. Partner, I don't care about who's smarter or dumber than me, exchanges prior to the usual name calling and labeling of me is incredibly fun and excellent for ruminations about social and historical events. I don't in the least consider myself smarter than you, but I certainly at least consider myself as informed. We've had great conversations.

STANG RED
07-23-2009, 09:20 AM
I just read this entire thread. Now my eyes are bloodshot, my head is spinning, and I need at least a whole bottle of aspirin. Gee thanks guys.:mad:

I must say though, it was quiet entertaining to read. I love a good pissing contest. :D

BILLYFRED0000
07-23-2009, 09:24 AM
Partner, I don't care about who's smarter or dumber than me, exchanges prior to the usual name calling and labeling of me is incredibly fun and excellent for ruminations about social and historical events. I don't in the least consider myself smarter than you, but I certainly at least consider myself as informed. We've had great conversations.

I did not mean to imply that. I was just sayin.. Actually everyone should heed this advice, myself included. How does that song go

Oh Lord it's hard to be humble,
When your perfect in every way,

Can't wait to look in the mirror,
Get better lookin each day.

To know me is to love me.
I must be one heck of a man.

But I'm doin the best that I can.

Yee haw.:D

Farmersfan
07-23-2009, 09:26 AM
I think all people suffer from a certain amount of cognitive dissonance and it is very difficult to accept other ideas that contradict what we think we already know. When these new ideas are presented in such a matter-of-fact way that Booger and RD80 present them many people reject them right off without even a consideration. I will say that I agree with much of what Booger posts and do acknowledge his obvious intelligence but have to catch myself frequently to stop a negitive response to his obvious opinion that his information is more intellectual and well thought out than anyone elses is. Research and knowledge, like everything else, is subjective and is recorded and learned in a biased and slanted way. So to claim someone else's opinion comes from information that is biased while attempting to prove your own opinion with other information is a little contradictive to the intelligence that you might be trying to portray...... JMHO!

Txbroadcaster
07-23-2009, 09:31 AM
I think all people suffer from a certain amount of cognitive dissonance and it is very difficult to accept other ideas that contradict what we think we already know. When these new ideas are presented in such a matter-of-fact way that Booger and RD80 present them many people reject them right off without even a consideration. I will say that I agree with much of what Booger posts and do acknowledge his obvious intelligence but have to catch myself frequently to stop a negitive response to his obvious opinion that his information is more intellectual and well thought out than anyone elses is. Research and knowledge, like everything else, is subjective and is recorded and learned in a biased and slanted way. So to claim someone else's opinion comes from information that is biased while attempting to prove your own opinion with other information is a little contradictive to the intelligence that you might be trying to portray...... JMHO!

I just think people get mad that a BOOGER provides good points

DDBooger
07-23-2009, 09:34 AM
I think all people suffer from a certain amount of cognitive dissonance and it is very difficult to accept other ideas that contradict what we think we already know. When these new ideas are presented in such a matter-of-fact way that Booger and RD80 present them many people reject them right off without even a consideration. I will say that I agree with much of what Booger posts and do acknowledge his obvious intelligence but have to catch myself frequently to stop a negitive response to his obvious opinion that his information is more intellectual and well thought out than anyone elses is. Research and knowledge, like everything else, is subjective and is recorded and learned in a biased and slanted way. So to claim someone else's opinion comes from information that is biased while attempting to prove your own opinion with other information is a little contradictive to the intelligence that you might be trying to portray...... JMHO! and I promise you, you and me will never have similar disagreements as I have with others because I agree with everything you posted. I don't want agreements, I love disagreements, because that is how we foster solutions. Now when people begin in on me that I'm a "commie, liberal, inexperienced and on and on" well yeah, I respond. Should I, probably not, but it is what it is!

DDBooger
07-23-2009, 09:36 AM
I did not mean to imply that. I was just sayin.. Actually everyone should heed this advice, myself included. How does that song go

When your perfect in every way,

Can't wait to look in the mirror,
Get better lookin each day.

To know me is to love me.
I must be one heck of a man.

But I'm doin the best that I can.

Yee haw.:D :D

I just think people get mad that a BOOGER provides good points
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w68/xWakex/BoogerMan.jpg

BuffyMars
07-23-2009, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I just read this entire thread. Now my eyes are bloodshot, my head is spinning, and I need at least a whole bottle of aspirin. Gee thanks guys.:mad:

I must say though, it was quiet entertaining to read. I love a good pissing contest. :D

lol. i started to reply to a "opnionated" thread yesterday....and just closed the window.

there aren't enough hours in the day. :dispntd:

JasperDog94
07-23-2009, 09:38 AM
You pretty much have to ignore Keith. He just spouts other peoples research and then says it is true. He does not look at his own data or contradicting data and then makes the arguement that it is obvious. Well I agree that warming has been going on for the last 130,000 years but it is now time for a cooling cycle or will be soon. So the natural pattern is still there and man has little or no effect whatsoever on it's outcome.
Yeah, and don't ever mention the fact that solar flares directly mirror global temperatures. Or the fact that global temperatures were lower last year, despite increased greenhouse gases.

BILLYFRED0000
07-23-2009, 10:07 AM
That is where we get into the cycle business. Solar radiation plus orbital status in relation to the sun plus tilt status in relation to polaris vs vega as the north star equal very different imputs that are extremely important and are not really calculated into long term climate affects. These "wizards" just plug variables into a computer and "predict" the outcome. They just cannot build a model that works well in the real world because the variables themselves change on a day to day basis. Chaos theory indicates that the mere attempt at measurement changes the outcome of the measurement because of unpredicted changes in the way the experiment or variables perform or are interpreted.

And I quote
"In quantum physics, the Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that certain pairs of physical properties, like position and momentum, cannot both be known to arbitrary precision. That is, the more precisely one property is known, the less precisely the other can be known. It is impossible to measure simultaneously both position and velocity of a microscopic particle with any degree of accuracy or certainty. This is not only a statement about the limitations of a researcher's ability to measure particular quantities of a system, following the tenets of logical positivism, it is a statement about the nature of the system itself."

While this quote applies more directly to quantum physics, it also applies well to non linear chaotic complex systems to which weather and climate definetly belong.

BILLYFRED0000
07-23-2009, 11:39 AM
Or in simpler terms, the butterfly effect.

Farmersfan
07-23-2009, 11:44 AM
That is where we get into the cycle business. Solar radiation plus orbital status in relation to the sun plus tilt status in relation to polaris vs vega as the north star equal very different imputs that are extremely important and are not really calculated into long term climate affects. These "wizards" just plug variables into a computer and "predict" the outcome. They just cannot build a model that works well in the real world because the variables themselves change on a day to day basis. Chaos theory indicates that the mere attempt at measurement changes the outcome of the measurement because of unpredicted changes in the way the experiment or variables perform or are interpreted.

And I quote
"In quantum physics, the Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that certain pairs of physical properties, like position and momentum, cannot both be known to arbitrary precision. That is, the more precisely one property is known, the less precisely the other can be known. It is impossible to measure simultaneously both position and velocity of a microscopic particle with any degree of accuracy or certainty. This is not only a statement about the limitations of a researcher's ability to measure particular quantities of a system, following the tenets of logical positivism, it is a statement about the nature of the system itself."

While this quote applies more directly to quantum physics, it also applies well to non linear chaotic complex systems to which weather and climate definetly belong.

Geez!!!! Do a little research why don't ya? :D :D :D

The span of days for mankinds influence on this planet is miniscule compared to the life of the planet itself. But to assume that we cause no significant changes over the long haul is kind of silly. Our meer presence on this rock will create a million or more new strains of bacteria before your lifetime is over. We will alter the oxygen content of the atmosphere which will alter the evolution of all things requiring oxygen. The human species can be linked to the extinction of numerous other species and will continue to cause these extinctions. The list goes on and on. But I never claimed these alterations to the planet would be bad. Just different. And who's to say that if "mankind" had not evolved as the dominate species that another wouldn't have?

SintonFan
07-23-2009, 11:45 AM
haha based on what? seriously, no need to apply dime store psych! Nothing I said permeated as my nerves were rattled, I merely expose you for what you are. If you haven't noticed, in the last few weeks more and more people have either came out in my defense or suggested they knew what I was talking about or even despite their differences with me enjoy the prose in which I explain them.
haha YOU on the other hand revert back to your concern that I feel I'm the smartest person in here. haha What gets under my skin? Certainly not anything you individuals who resort to name baiting and fixed answers put forth. No not at all. I can't believe you are still vexed at your belief that I think I'm the smartest person in here. I've never even stated that, but apparently my confidence has "struck a nerve."

Again, you were checked on this by others and I had those who rushed to my defense, I didn't even have to defend myself LOL. I think THAT irked YOU! ;)

I imagine I sound as such when you can't poke holes in my logic, while you certainly try, it continuously falls on itself for what it is, baseless rhetoric absent of any exploration for the truth. I don't find you unintelligent, not one bit, but please, to consider me condescending and abrasive is like the pot calling the kettle black. You're the first to pounce on a person when you see any inkling of something that is NOT conservative in framing.

Naturally, cause you say so! haha :rolleyes: I've had people from PPHSFan, ETB, Waterboy, Txbroadcaster and JasperDog tell me they agree with me on points. But I imagine I've converted them right? haha NO, simply looking at things for what they are. But that must have been glossed over.

And that is precisely why for 8 years we had a Conservative President carrying out Liberal expansion of the govt. Staying mum only proves you look for statements not action.

absolutely, otherwise I'd never have people tell me they agree with me, now would I?

Support? no, I'm not supporting one side, I'm merely pointing out the other side, which is often misconstrued or ignored for the benefit of what you propose. Please, you can keep trying to corner me in to something I'm not because it makes you feel safe and allows for you to cast the same old lines, but no, I think I've proven that I can examine either side. I think we've covered this, when I see people on the left daily start threads bashing the right, I'll interject when I see hypocrisy.

Again, you are moving from a political ideology back to ME, who's under who's skin? Come on, it's apparent to everyone you are no longer arguing the issues, you hate that in your head you've conjured up this ideal of me as some vain member of a board that by these exchanges I build my credentials haha Nothing more than fun SF, you on the other hand are quite the character!
I'd prefer it, I think it alleviates the notion that I base my intelligence on my exchanges in a 3a football board!
It only escalated to this because you are concerned about my arrogance and my apparent self promoting intelligence. Had we stuck to the issue I believe it would have been more fun. Oh and so I don't come off as such a "nasty" guy, I did apologize to WB, but again, if you think about it, my responses were as a result of a direct challenge to me 1st

You made a mountain out of a mole hill likely because it bothers you that I can respond and do so intelligently if I might add to your apparent disdain! ;)
Blah blah blah...:p :D

BILLYFRED0000
07-23-2009, 11:52 AM
Geez!!!! Do a little research why don't ya? :D :D :D

The span of days for mankinds influence on this planet is miniscule compared to the life of the planet itself. But to assume that we cause no significant changes over the long haul is kind of silly. Our meer presence on this rock will create a million or more new strains of bacteria before your lifetime is over. We will alter the oxygen content of the atmosphere which will alter the evolution of all things requiring oxygen. The human species can be linked to the extinction of numerous other species and will continue to cause these extinctions. The list goes on and on. But I never claimed these alterations to the planet would be bad. Just different. And who's to say that if "mankind" had not evolved as the dominate species that another wouldn't have?

Specie extinction is a function of existence and predator prey.
Humans are just another form of predator.
More oxygen is put into the atmosphere by co2 breathing plants then is used currently. Over millions of years we may have an affect as we continue to grow. But you should stipulate that the change in technology will continually reframe the question as one fix leads to different issues where that fix will lead to others and so on. Thus making any predictions about man made interference practically impossible good or bad.

pirate4state
07-23-2009, 11:55 AM
:D

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w68/xWakex/BoogerMan.jpg ^^^ should be your next sig hahaha

pirate4state
07-23-2009, 11:59 AM

That's what I try to tell people about you when you get to bashing on the Cowboys, Astros, Spurs, etc...just ignore him!

:)

Farmersfan
07-23-2009, 12:10 PM
Specie extinction is a function of existence and predator prey.
Humans are just another form of predator.
More oxygen is put into the atmosphere by co2 breathing plants then is used currently. Over millions of years we may have an affect as we continue to grow. But you should stipulate that the change in technology will continually reframe the question as one fix leads to different issues where that fix will lead to others and so on. Thus making any predictions about man made interference practically impossible good or bad.

You miss the point completely. If humans had never existed then this planet would be a very different place. The longer we occupy this planet the greater the difference will become.
Species extinction is a function of nature but the human element has a direct impact on that function. For example the humpback whales are near to extinction due to a single predator. (Humans). What evolutionary tract was the humpback on before humans caused their near extinction? We will never know. But we can rest assured it was different than what is now. Perhaps they were destined to become the apex species on this planet before "man" poked his hairy, greasy face up out of the ooze and said "Pass the whale steak ma"!

BILLYFRED0000
07-23-2009, 01:32 PM
You miss the point completely. If humans had never existed then this planet would be a very different place. The longer we occupy this planet the greater the difference will become.
Species extinction is a function of nature but the human element has a direct impact on that function. For example the humpback whales are near to extinction due to a single predator. (Humans). What evolutionary tract was the humpback on before humans caused their near extinction? We will never know. But we can rest assured it was different than what is now. Perhaps they were destined to become the apex species on this planet before "man" poked his hairy, greasy face up out of the ooze and said "Pass the whale steak ma"!

And my point is that it is not relevant. One predator wiped out a prey. Fine. If it is not humans then perhaps the silver back gorilla takes over the world ala planet of the apes or some other species. You cannot say that it would better or worse with any certainty whatsoever. Only different.

Farmersfan
07-23-2009, 01:58 PM
And my point is that it is not relevant. One predator wiped out a prey. Fine. If it is not humans then perhaps the silver back gorilla takes over the world ala planet of the apes or some other species. You cannot say that it would better or worse with any certainty whatsoever. Only different.

I think we are saying the same thing. Just a different way. I too don't think we can determine if our long term influence is negative or positive but we for sure influence the future of the planet. How we effect the planet can only be measured as hind-sight. We have no way of knowing what the future effects will be. So the point is made that if we know we have an effect and we like the planet the way it is now then why wouldn't we try to minimize the influences we have just in case????? You said yourself we cant' know if it will be good or bad. Do you want to gamble with the well being of the planet?

BILLYFRED0000
07-23-2009, 02:10 PM
I think we are saying the same thing. Just a different way. I too don't think we can determine if our long term influence is negative or positive but we for sure influence the future of the planet. How we effect the planet can only be measured as hind-sight. We have no way of knowing what the future effects will be. So the point is made that if we know we have an effect and we like the planet the way it is now then why wouldn't we try to minimize the influences we have just in case????? You said yourself we cant' know if it will be good or bad. Do you want to gamble with the well being of the planet?

Because of the principle of unintended consequences. For example, Ethanol. It turns out to be worse pollutant and raised the price of food. Ooops. We cannot predict the future. Which means we do not know whether the changes we make are good or bad because the information we have changes faster than we can make decisions. Better to take the slow road and let it develop than to create new issues to resolve.

waterboy
07-23-2009, 02:10 PM
Naw, not really. I always expect a witty, intelligent (though not always intelligible to us normal people:D) answer from you, even though I seldom agree with it. Sometimes, you actually make sense.;) Let's agree to disagree and move on.

Farmersfan
07-23-2009, 02:22 PM
Naw, not really. I always expect a witty, intelligent (though not always intelligible to us normal people:D) answer from you, even though I seldom agree with it. Sometimes, you actually make sense.;) Let's agree to disagree and move on.

I think Booger won waterboy!!!!!! Are you going to let that happen????:D :D :D

waterboy
07-23-2009, 03:00 PM
I think Booger won waterboy!!!!!! Are you going to let that happen????:D :D :D
Haha.......oh, contrare' my friend. It was time to stop the nonsense on here. I just figured I'd step up first. It was starting to be a divisive issue among long time friends on here. Though we may disagree on a lot of issues, we still have to remain amicable. I'm sure I'll get under his skin again......:D

DDBooger
07-23-2009, 03:01 PM
I'm sure I'll get under his skin again......:D :thinking: ....when was the 1st ;)

(you Alabama tick!) :p

waterboy
07-23-2009, 03:03 PM
:thinking: ....when was the 1st ;)

Just now? Haha...:D

(Mississippi moon dog):p

DDBooger
07-23-2009, 03:07 PM
Just now? Haha...:D

(Mississippi moon dog):p
LOL

Farmersfan
07-23-2009, 03:16 PM
:thinking: ....when was the 1st ;)

Hey Booger! Waterboy said he was the bigger man and "Stepped up"!!!!! You gonna let that slide?????

DDBooger
07-23-2009, 03:17 PM
Hey Booger! Waterboy said he was the bigger man and "Stepped up"!!!!! You gonna let that slide?????
"just how big an ol boy are you"

Farmersfan
07-23-2009, 03:20 PM
"just how big an ol boy are you"

Hey waterboy! Booger is questioning your manhood!!!! Whatcha gonna do??????

waterboy
07-23-2009, 03:36 PM
Hey waterboy! Booger is questioning your manhood!!!! Whatcha gonna do??????
Haha....that reminds me of a joke I saw yesterday. I'll PM it to ya....