PDA

View Full Version : New Football Rule

Emerson1
07-19-2009, 07:22 PM
not sure if this was ever posted, new rule for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Say a player is breaking free for a touchdown, and they turn around and taunt at the 5 yard line. If they ref throws a flag for unsportsmanlike conduct, it's a 15 yard penalty from the 5 and the touchdown is taken away.

Thoughts?

Trashman
07-19-2009, 07:29 PM
Speaking as a former football official, "It's a dumb rule."

Speaking as a fan, "It's a dumb rule."

So I'm thinking it's a dumb rule.:D

P.S. There are already rules on the books to address this problem.:rolleyes:

Pick6
07-19-2009, 08:21 PM
I think it's a good rule. I'd even make them go back to the original line of scrimmage and then take the 15 yards.

lakers
07-19-2009, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
I think it's a good rule. I'd even make them go back to the original line of scrimmage and then take the 15 yards.
That though makes you sound like an
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb30/Zazael/donkey.jpg

Pick6
07-19-2009, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by lakers
That though makes you sound like an

Because I want someone to show good sportsmanship?

TexMike
07-19-2009, 09:01 PM
That is NOT a rule in NCAA or Texas HS (which uses NCAA rules) this year. The Rules Committee did put out a statement saying that if officials, conferences, schools, coaches, & players cannot get unsportsmanlike conduct under control, the committee would look hard at changing the rule so that it would be enforced as Emerson says. However, for 2009, that is NOT the rule. TRhe rule remains as it has been for many years.

Emerson1
07-19-2009, 09:04 PM
This is not my fault. 3afan told me this information.

TexMike
07-19-2009, 09:09 PM
Well....like you say...you were not wrong, just mistaken

Emerson1
07-19-2009, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
Because I want someone to show good sportsmanship?
If you don't want someone celebrating don't let them score.

3afan
07-19-2009, 09:14 PM
an ump buddy of mine who has his own crew told me about the rule ... he said one of the editors of the NCAA rule book was their guest speaker at a big clinic last weekend

Trashman - why do you think its a dumb rule? apparently the rules on the books are not preventing this and thats the aim of the new rule

TexMike
07-19-2009, 09:20 PM
There is only 1 editor, Rogers Redding. And he was in Texas last weekend, first at the Big XII meetings in Dallas and also in Houston at the Houston Chapter's Monday meeting. I am sure he talked about the Rules Committee sportsmanship statement but sounds like some may have misunderstood what he said. It is definitely under consideration for next year or beyond but not for this year.

Last weekend was the State meeting for HS football officials in McAllen and Redding was not there. I gave the rule change presentation at the meeting and definitely did not say this would be the rule this year. The presentation was very rushed though and maybe some misunderstood what was said.

Pick6
07-19-2009, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
If you don't want someone celebrating don't let them score.

Come on Emerson, you can come up with something more clever than that.

Emerson1
07-19-2009, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by TexMike
The presentation was very rushed though and maybe some misunderstood what was said.
So this whole thing is your fault?

Trashman
07-19-2009, 09:57 PM
3aFan, there are already rules for unsporsman like conduct. Officals need to use the tools they have. A lot of them won't for fear of changing the out come of the game on a stupid penalty. Coaches need to educate their players that such conduct is wrong and won't be tolirated. Making more rules is not the answer.

Some officals have a fear of being scrached by the coach as well.

Pardon the spelling I'm doing this on my crackberry.

PPHSfan
07-19-2009, 09:59 PM
I think a good head coach can keep his players from acting like this with no problem. They might do it once, but a good coach will put an end to it.

PPHSfan
07-19-2009, 10:01 PM
P.S.

There is a line between celebrating and taunting. And the line is wide and long, and can be seen from the cheap seats.

westcoast54
07-19-2009, 11:11 PM
I know we returned a blocked PAT for two points in 06 and our guy dove into the endzone from the 3 and he got a flag thrown on him. We lined up offsides so it didn't matter but official told us had we not been offsides we wouldn't have gotten the two points anyway because of our player leaping into the endzone. He had noone within 20 yards of him and they said it was taunting. I thought it already was a rule.

pirate4state
07-20-2009, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
I think a good head coach can keep his players from acting like this with no problem. They might do it once, but a good coach will put an end to it. :iagree:

TexMike
07-20-2009, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by westcoast54
I know we returned a blocked PAT for two points in 06 and our guy dove into the endzone from the 3 and he got a flag thrown on him. We lined up offsides so it didn't matter but official told us had we not been offsides we wouldn't have gotten the two points anyway because of our player leaping into the endzone. He had noone within 20 yards of him and they said it was taunting. I thought it already was a rule.

Slightly different situation. The rules do provide for wiping off the score on an extra point play when there is a change of possession and the team gaining possession fouls before scoring. In that case it does not matter if it was an unsportsmanlike conduct or anything else. Example. in your play, let's say there was no end zone dive but there was a block in the back during the return. The score would be disallowed, the down would be over and you would go to the KO.

3afan
07-20-2009, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by Trashman
Some officals have a fear of being scrached by the coach as well.

I believe that - happens in my sport as well

yeah there was apparently some miscommunication re my ump buddy ....

Farmersfan
07-20-2009, 08:09 AM
The rule book is full of penalties that would reverse the score even if they had no direct impact on the score to start with. I don't see taking the points off the board for taunting as being an worst or any better than taking points off the board for a hold penalty on the opposite side of the field from the play..........

BuckeyeNut
07-20-2009, 10:11 AM
Taking points away from a Team for one person acting a fool, is not the way to get the point across. Kick the person out of the game. That will send a message.

BwdLions
07-20-2009, 11:52 AM
There's no room in the game for taunting and unsportsmanlike conduct (at any level).

Trashman
07-20-2009, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by BwdLions
There's no room in the game for taunting and unsportsmanlike conduct (at any level). I think we all agree on that. The problem is we don't all agree on a way to put a stop to it. Some of us favor existing rules while others what to make new rules.;)

Matthew328
07-20-2009, 12:02 PM
Agree, I'd rather see an ejection than taking points off the board

BwdLions
07-20-2009, 02:11 PM
Maybe there'd be a way to make the player that taunted sit out the next series, or the remainder of the quarter or half. They should be able to make that work.

TexMike
07-20-2009, 03:31 PM
It is sort of there now. You get 2 unsportsmanlike conduct penalties and you are ejected. I think that is a good medium and does let the player get a "warning" (Although there will still be a penalty" before getting tossed

And you can eject now on the first offense if you deem it flagrant enough

I. B. Watching
07-20-2009, 08:09 PM
I would hate for an officials' interpretation of taunting at the moment wipe out a touchdown. Sometimes taunting is obvious, but I saw a high school kid high step into the endzone after breaking a tackle at the 5 and he was flagged. If he hadn't high-stepped out of the tackle, he wouldn't have scored. The official said since he continued on into the endzone, it was unsportsmanlike conduct. He didn't take more than 2 high steps after breaking free.