PDA

View Full Version : 1, 2, & 3 A players receiving scholarships

Eagle1
07-18-2009, 09:39 PM
Is it just me or does it seem like in the last 5 or 6 years there has been more small school players being recruited to play Division I football than ever before. I went to a small school and I don't remember too many players going to play college football. Why are the colleges becoming more interested in small town boys? I don't blame them there are some great players in the lower ranks, but what are you guys thoughts?

TexasHSFB
07-18-2009, 09:42 PM
They're becoming more aware that those kids can play with any of the big time kids from 4a and 5a if given the opportunity. Just not those valley kids. :D

Eagle1
07-18-2009, 09:54 PM
Do you think that they are realizing that the small town kids have a great work ethic and are often times very well coached. Many small town kids receive high school quality instruction beginning in the 7th grade. I know for a fact that per capita 2A and 3A turns out the best quality football players.

TexasHSFB
07-18-2009, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Eagle1
Do you think that they are realizing that the small town kids have a great work ethic and are often times very well coached. Many small town kids receive high school quality instruction beginning in the 7th grade. I know for a fact that per capita 2A and 3A turns out the best quality football players. That may hav soemthing to do with it.

I just think there was a pre-conceived idea before that all the best athletes were at the big schools that did well. And for the most part yea, but there are kids who can play just as good who maybe go to a smaller school or maybe they are the only really good player on their team and they didn't do as well (Madisonville- They had Whaley but nothing else) as a whole.

I think they're looking more and deper than ever trying to find quality kids who can contribute and it's becoming less of an issue if they go to small HS's.

maestro
07-18-2009, 10:20 PM
i believe that more kids are attending summer camps sponsored at the universities..

the kids are taking it upon themselves to get exposure....instead of expecting the recruiters to come to their small towns..

but....coach yeoman at u of h in the 60s and 70s LIVED on small school athletes.

Eagle 1
07-18-2009, 10:26 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how there are two Eagle 1's on here?:confused:

TexasHSFB
07-18-2009, 10:55 PM
Good question. :thinking:

Rabid Cougar
07-18-2009, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Eagle 1

A tear in the space time continuom?

SHSBulldog00
07-18-2009, 11:19 PM
When I played in the late 90's we had alot get DI Scholarships

Freshman year 6 (4 played in the NFL)
Sophmore year 5
Junior year 5
Senior 7 (1 current NFL Player)

It was nothing to see scouts at our practices.
My Senior year Northwestern brought an eighteen wheeler to town (they recruited a reciever)
We also had very prominent head coaches visit athletes at their homes
ex. Lou Holtz, R.C. Slocum and Joel Makovic (in the 90's)

It does happen at small school's. I know for a fact they will be getting more DI talent from here in the next two years at least.

Txbroadcaster
07-19-2009, 01:39 AM
It is not like 3A and below were shut out of scholarships until recently. I think we all just know more about all the players now and track their movement easier because of the message boards and internet in general

PPHSfan
07-19-2009, 05:28 AM
Classification has never had anything to do with anything. More 5A kids get scholarships for the simple fact that there are more 5A kids.

Eagle1
07-19-2009, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by SHSBulldog00
When I played in the late 90's we had alot get DI Scholarships

Freshman year 6 (4 played in the NFL)
Sophmore year 5
Junior year 5
Senior 7 (1 current NFL Player)

It was nothing to see scouts at our practices.
My Senior year Northwestern brought an eighteen wheeler to town (they recruited a reciever)
We also had very prominent head coaches visit athletes at their homes
ex. Lou Holtz, R.C. Slocum and Joel Makovic (in the 90's)

It does happen at small school's. I know for a fact they will be getting more DI talent from here in the next two years at least.

Where did you go to school at? Was this a 3A school with that kind of talent? That must be some kind of record I can't think of any schools in the nineties with that much talent.

ssgmp5150
07-19-2009, 07:46 AM
Two significant reasons kids from the smaller classifications are being recruited more often today than any other time....The internet and summer camps!

The internet has been an invaluable tool for these kids, regardless of classification to get noticed. With all the recruiting sites and rankings, etc I think the internet alone has been the primary reason that kids in the lower classifications have been getting noticed and recruited.

More and more colleges are offering summer camps than ever before. Therefore, they do not have to find you! You can find them! Again, with the use of the internet, many kids can find several summer camps to attend each summer, therefore they get an opportunity to get the coaches attention and expose themselves to other coaches who may be at these camps!

The only difference between AA and AAAAA is the number of quality players! Smaller schools can have a few athletes that could compete in any division in high school. Larger schools normally have several athletes that are good. The only difference is in the quantity of players that are good with the advantage going to the larger schools. So, college coaches are idiots if they ignore that one special athlete in the lower divisions that is just as talented as kids at the bigger schools. Since so many kids from the smaller schools are being recruited recently, I doubt too many college coaches are idiots then!

pirate4state
07-20-2009, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by Eagle 1

His s/n does not have a space. :nerd:

Additup
07-20-2009, 04:37 AM
Slight decline in 3A, but usually about 9% of Texas D-1 scholarships:
2006 - 34 players 3A earn Div 1 football scholarships
2007 - 33 players 3A earn Div 1 football scholarships
2008 - 30 players 3A earn Div 1 football scholarships

biggest jump is in 4A
2006 - 83 players 4A earn Div 1 football scholarships
2007 - 97 players 4A earn Div 1 football scholarships
2008 - 113 players 4A earn Div 1 football scholarships

biggest drop is in 5A
2006 - 235 players 5A earn Div 1 football scholarships
2007 - 208 players 5A earn Div 1 football scholarships
2008 - 193 players 5A earn Div 1 football scholarships

Dogs_21
07-20-2009, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Eagle1
Where did you go to school at? Was this a 3A school with that kind of talent? That must be some kind of record I can't think of any schools in the nineties with that much talent.

I think SHSBulldog was talking about Sweeny and yes they did have talent like that back then.