PDA

View Full Version : Do you think....

TexasHSFB
07-17-2009, 10:17 PM
High School students receive adequate education to prepare them for life at a university?

Does your local HS offer money management or business courses?

As well as actual curriculum. Rate that as well.

PPHSfan
07-17-2009, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by TexasHSFB
High School students receive adequate education to prepare them for life at a university?

Does your local HS offer money management or business course?.....

This is the parent's job, not the schools.

TexasHSFB
07-17-2009, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
This is the parent's job, not the schools. What if a kid is ditched? What if he has idiots for parents? What if they can't manage their own money? What if their are practically non existant? What if they live on their own?

I'm not saying it should be a requirement, but maybe atleast be available or sort of incorporated into economics?

carter08
07-17-2009, 11:56 PM
i don't think high schools provide an education that readies students for any part of college.

the amount of work in college is so much greater than in high school. i went from easily getting a 4.0 in high school, to struggling to a 3.5 my first year in college. i was not prepared at all for the level of work and the amount of it. high schools need to make the students suck it up and give them harder work, more reading, tougher papers, etc.

TexasHSFB
07-18-2009, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by carter08
i don't think high schools provide an education that readies students for any part of college.

the amount of work in college is so much greater than in high school. i went from easily getting a 4.0 in high school, to struggling to a 3.5 my first year in college. i was not prepared at all for the level of work and the amount of it. high schools need to make the students suck it up and give them harder work, more reading, tougher papers, etc. Good info Carter. What is your major/minor?

carter08
07-18-2009, 02:13 PM
Good info Carter. What is your major/minor?

English/Creative Writing major.

probably gonna minor in journalism.

TexasHSFB
07-18-2009, 02:15 PM
English/Creative Writing major.

probably gonna minor in journalism. Well, obviously you have needed alot more writing, reading in HS.... not so much for someone like me. I could have used alot more physics and math.

I met a kid who had taken all the way thru Cal 3 in HS and is starting out with differential equations as an incoming fresh.:eek: :doh:

carter08
07-18-2009, 02:17 PM
Well, obviously you have needed alot more writing, reading in HS.... not so much for someone like me. I could have used alot more physics and math.

I met a kid who had taken all the way thru Cal 3 in HS and is starting out with differential equations as an incoming fresh.:eek: :doh:

pretty much, we needed more of everything.

seth is doing biology and has to take all the way to Cal 3. i have a feeling thats not gonna go well...

TexasHSFB
07-18-2009, 02:18 PM
pretty much, we needed more of everything.

seth is doing biology and has to take all the way to Cal 3. i have a feeling thats not gonna go well... Yea, considering he dropped out of Cal 1 in HS. lmao.

carter08
07-18-2009, 02:20 PM
Yea, considering he dropped out of Cal 1 in HS. lmao.

yeah. and this summer, he's been doing bio and chem at BC and hasn't been studying at all.

he needs better studying habits. i mean, mine weren't the best last year, but i did alright.

TexasHSFB
07-18-2009, 02:23 PM
yeah. and this summer, he's been doing bio and chem at BC and hasn't been studying at all.

he needs better studying habits. i mean, mine weren't the best last year, but i did alright. Yea, I'm going to need to develop some study habits. I never needed to study much before, but I've got certain times in my schedule everyday devoted to HW and studying and I guess I will study even more than that when needed.

I've got all kinds of opportunities for tutors and study partners, etc if I need them.

Did he take cal 1 again at BC last year?

carter08
07-18-2009, 02:27 PM
Yea, I'm going to need to develop some study habits. I never needed to study much before, but I've got certain times in my schedule everyday devoted to HW and studying and I guess I will study even more than that when needed.

I've got all kinds of opportunities for tutors and study partners, etc if I need them.

Did he take cal 1 again at BC last year?

yeah. i really didn't do crap last year.

in my intro to drama class, i read like 2 of the 10 plays and still managed an A.

in my british lit class, i only read 3 of the 8 novels. bad idea, because i ended up with a B- in there.

the point is, don't just say you're setting time aside to do work. you have to actually do it.

i'm living down here this year and staying with a friends mom in houston 3 days a week just to keep myself from being distracted. living with friends was a bad idea for my first year.

no, he hasn't done Cal 1 yet. he did precal last semester at UH though.

scrub c
07-18-2009, 02:42 PM

Been MANY students go thru CHS and graduate from that school and now have GOOD jobs... So, I think you both are ready...

carter08
07-18-2009, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by scrub c
Been MANY students go thru CHS and graduate from that school and now have GOOD jobs... So, I think you both are ready...

nothing against CHS at all.

i just don't think hs's in general do a great job preparing student's for their first year of college. i think the students go in expecting it to be a piece of cake, because thats all high school was to most of them, and are surprised to find it much harder than they think.

TexasHSFB
07-18-2009, 03:00 PM
^^^^ What he said. Nothing against CHS. I'm just wondering in general.

maestro
07-18-2009, 07:33 PM
back in the stone ages of the 1970s...

high schools taught business classes.....complete with assets....liabilites....etc.

balancing checkbooks....paying bills....

it was a pre-accountant class......but many non-business students took the class..

Rabid Cougar
07-18-2009, 11:09 PM
You will also find out that what you study and the classes you take in college means very little in the real world. Businesses want to know that you are bright and can learn. They will then hire and educate you to their standards. That is for the normal college students... There are still the über smart who are not human.