PDA

View Full Version : Graham Harrell to CFL

pirate4state
07-16-2009, 01:51 PM
Harrell takes his game to CFL
Comment Email Print Share
Associated Press

REGINA, Saskatchewan -- Graham Harrell is headed to the CFL.

The record-setting Texas Tech quarterback signed with the Saskatchewan Roughriders on Thursday.

Harrell is the NCAA Division I career leader in touchdown passes but wasn't drafted by the NFL. His workout with the Cleveland Browns did not result in a contract.

Harrell had to fight the perception that his numbers were the product of Texas Tech's offensive system and he didn't have the arm strength to succeed in the NFL.

The Roughriders are already two games into their season and have three quarterbacks on their roster. Their starter is former North Carolina quarterback Darian Durant, who had only four career CFL starts coming into the season.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4332177&campaign=rss&source=twitter&ex_cid=Twitter_espn_4332177)

Keith7
07-16-2009, 01:55 PM
Great, he has a good group of receivers up there to throw to, including ex-North Texas great Johnny Quinn

Pick6
07-16-2009, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
Great, he has a good group of receivers up there to throw to, including ex-North Texas great Johnny Quinn

If he was great he would be in the NFL, heck if he was even half way good he'd be in the NFL.

Keith7
07-16-2009, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
If he was great he would be in the NFL, heck if he was even half way good he'd be in the NFL.

He's been to the NFL and has since moved on to the CFL.. We all know you don't have to be great to be in the NFL anyways, just take a look at Vince Young

thumptbh
07-16-2009, 02:10 PM
Former Canyon Eagle & WTAMU QB Dalton Bell is playing for this same team. He is currently their 3rd string QB.

Pick6
07-16-2009, 02:12 PM
He's been to the NFL and has since moved on to the CFL.. We all know you don't have to be great to be in the NFL anyways, just take a look at Vince Young

Heck, if he was even average at best he'd went anywhere except UNT.

Keith7
07-16-2009, 02:12 PM
Heck, if he was even average at best he'd went anywhere except UNT.

Say that to Mean Joe Greene and see what he has to say about that

Pick6
07-16-2009, 02:16 PM
Say that to Mean Joe Greene and see what he has to say about that

That's funny, go back to someone who played there in the 60's. That's says alot about the last 30+ years of UNT. I hope you're not as dump as you seem on here.

Electus Unus
07-16-2009, 02:17 PM
That's funny, go back to someone who played there in the 60's. That's says alot about the last 30+ years of UNT. I hope you're not as dump as you seem on here. North Texas has had some players in the past 30 years but yes he is as dumb as he seems, maybe even more?

Keith7
07-16-2009, 02:19 PM
That's funny, go back to someone who played there in the 60's. That's says alot about the last 30+ years of UNT. I hope you're not as dump as you seem on here.

Don't worry I'm not as dump as I seem on here lol

I could go through the long list of former NT turned NFL greats but what's the point? To prove some 15 year old wrong?

pirate4state
07-16-2009, 02:22 PM
:D

Pick6
07-16-2009, 02:22 PM
Don't worry I'm not as dump as I seem on here lol

I could go through the long list of former NT turned NFL greats but what's the point? To prove some 15 year old wrong?

Who's 15 on this board?

You might could make a list of players from UNT that played in the NFL, but the list of great NFL players would be short.

pirate4state
07-16-2009, 02:26 PM
Who's 15 on this board?

The question should read "who DOESN'T act 15 on this board?" :D :D

Pick6
07-16-2009, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
The question should read "who DOESN'T act 15 on this board?" :D :D

Keith, that's where the 7 comes from :D

pirate4state
07-16-2009, 02:30 PM
Keith, that's where the 7 comes from :D So, that makes you 6 & me 4! WOO HOO!

Pick6
07-16-2009, 02:31 PM
So, that makes you 6 & me 4! WOO HOO!

Don't you have some where else to be :D

carter08
07-16-2009, 02:33 PM
GO ARGOS!

BEAT THE TI-CATS!

pirate4state
07-16-2009, 02:45 PM
Don't you have some where else to be :D Yes, it's nap time. ;)

Pick6
07-16-2009, 02:46 PM
Yes, it's nap time. ;)

BTW, I'm closer to 66 than 6 :(

bwdlionfan
07-16-2009, 03:58 PM

DUDE, I just finished my MBA at UNT, and as an alumni, may I ask you to keep stupid statements like that to yourself... you make all alumni and current students look stupid.

Keith7
07-16-2009, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan
DUDE, I just finished my MBA at UNT, and as an alumni, may I ask you to keep stupid statements like that to yourself... you make all alumni and current students look stupid.

Well from one UNT alumnus to another, I have sto say that you don't deserve to call yourself an UNT alumnus if you think vince young is a great NFL player..

pirate4state
07-16-2009, 04:18 PM
Well from one UNT alumnus to another, I have to say that you don't deserve to call yourself an UNT alumnus if you think vince young is a great NFL player.. LOL

OldBison75
07-16-2009, 05:29 PM
Since this was supposed to be about Harrell, he should do well in the CFL. The styles of offense in that league will suit his talents and arm strangth well. AND, the comment about the receiver from UNT is correct--he is a top notch CFL receiver, but the tools he has are not what the NFL sees as top notch. He has good speed, good hands, and will excel in a timing passing game. He is good in the league where he is playing.

Now, UNT has produced a few good NFL players over the years and arguably a couple of greats that would include Joe Greene. So, before the accusations of youth and stupidity get too intense--please take note that there are other schools that have not done a lot better. And, nobody called Vince Young a great NFL QB, but he is in the league and I don't remember a Tech QB making it there and starting for a NFL team lately.

Daddy D 11
07-16-2009, 06:10 PM
Well from one UNT alumnus to another, I have sto say that you don't deserve to call yourself an UNT alumnus if you think vince young is a great NFL player..

hahahahah so graduating from a university where you earned your education isn't good enough to be called an alumnus?

You're dumb.

Someone's opinion on Vince Young has nothing to do with UNT.

bwdlionfan
07-16-2009, 06:20 PM

First off Keith, we're talking about Harrell's success at the college level. You then sidetracked us to talking about Vince Young and Johnny Quinn. You made the ludicrous comparison that Quinn is a better football player than Vince Young is.

Since you're obviously not very intelligent (you're comparing apples to oranges to bananas with the cfl-nfl-ncaa) let's see who's had the most success on the biggest stage:

Most success in the CFL: who here really cares, the next two comparisons are on bigger stages unless you call yourself a Canadian.
Most success on an NFL stage: I'd think Vince has the most success.
Most success in the NCAA: Obviously Vince Young.

If you'd like to rate success on $$$, I'd think you'd take Vince. So, you have someone who excelled above the other two in college by a mile, and he's the only one who's in the NFL. So what if he's a backup QB, I'd give my left nut to be a backup QB in the NFL.

If I don't deserve to call myself an alumnus, I don't know why UNT would have given me a Master's diploma. You're the one making yourself look a fool on here.

bwdlionfan
07-16-2009, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
hahahahah so graduating from a university where you earned your education isn't good enough to be called an alumnus?

You're dumb.

Someone's opinion on Vince Young has nothing to do with UNT.

Someone from UNT arguing that Johnny Quinn is a better football player than Vince Young shows what kind of ignorant people come out of UNT. Those are the ones who need to keep their mouth shut or else everyone's going to think we're all lacking in intelligence.

LH Panther Mom
07-16-2009, 09:08 PM
Good for him! :clap:

And for those of you who want to throw him under the bus for it, I could remind you of at least one Heisman winner who spent some time up there, but that would just be tacky of me, so I wont.

westcoast54
07-16-2009, 09:12 PM
There are some people who think mighty highly of themselves on here. If you are a QB in the NFL, I don't care if you start or hold a clipboard, you are a very good football player. In fact...that goes for any position. If you are playing football in the CFL, you are a pretty darn good football player. Those guys are making a nice living by playing a game. Even the one's in the CFL. So don't come on here and talk about how all you have to be is semi-great to play in the NFL. You have to be GREAT!!!!

As for Harrell, I hope it works out for him. Maby he can pull a Warren Moon, go up there and develop and then come back down here and play for someone. He's a good QB just needs some time. I wish him well.

Keith7
07-16-2009, 09:22 PM
Someone from UNT arguing that Johnny Quinn is a better football player than Vince Young shows what kind of ignorant people come out of UNT. Those are the ones who need to keep their mouth shut or else everyone's going to think we're all lacking in intelligence.

I never said Quinn is better than Young, I said the NFL isn't just for great players and used Young as an example.. What school did you go to? Obviously they didn't have any requirments about having to know how to read to get into it..

Pick6
07-16-2009, 09:40 PM
I never said Quinn is better than Young, I said the NFL isn't just for great players and used Young as an example.. What school did you go to? Obviously they didn't have any requirments about having to know how to read to get into it..

I know this sounds impossible, but the more you talk the dumber you sound. Everyone says the Dlow is a family, I guess you're the drunk uncle that everyone gets to laugh at.

LH Panther Mom
07-16-2009, 09:42 PM
I know this sounds impossible, but the more you talk the dumber you sound. Everyone says the Dlow is a family, I guess you're the drunk uncle that everyone gets to laugh at.
:tisk: :tisk: :tisk:

OldBison75
07-16-2009, 09:45 PM
I want one of them there computers like Pick6. He keeps talking about how Keith is talking and I ain't heard a word yet on my old computer. I have to read this damn typing.

Pick6
07-16-2009, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by OldBison75
I want one of them there computers like Pick6. He keeps talking about how Keith is talking and I ain't heard a word yet on my old computer. I have to read this damn typing.

Send me a blank check and I'll get you one :thumbsup:

OldBison75
07-16-2009, 09:49 PM
I don't know any Checks, but I know a really cute blond headed girl that is pretty blank--should I send her for a new computer?

Pick6
07-16-2009, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by OldBison75
I don't know any Checks, but I know a really cute blond headed girl that is pretty blank--should I send her for a new computer?

No, blank blondes are easy to find.

bwdlionfan
07-16-2009, 10:14 PM

If UNT gives Master's degrees to those who can't read... what's that say for you with a Bachelor's from UNT?

bwdlionfan
07-16-2009, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by westcoast54
There are some people who think mighty highly of themselves on here. If you are a QB in the NFL, I don't care if you start or hold a clipboard, you are a very good football player. In fact...that goes for any position. If you are playing football in the CFL, you are a pretty darn good football player. Those guys are making a nice living by playing a game. Even the one's in the CFL. So don't come on here and talk about how all you have to be is semi-great to play in the NFL. You have to be GREAT!!!!

As for Harrell, I hope it works out for him. Maby he can pull a Warren Moon, go up there and develop and then come back down here and play for someone. He's a good QB just needs some time. I wish him well.

Perfect post. Anyone who goes to either league is an exceptional athlete.

Anyone who talks bad about the talent of a backup QB on an NFL team... I think I'll leave it at that. Everyone on here has already formed their opinion.

Keith7
07-16-2009, 11:53 PM
If UNT gives Master's degrees to those who can't read... what's that say for you with a Bachelor's from UNT?

lol

Rabid Cougar
07-17-2009, 07:20 AM
Talk about a thread hijack but I will continue....

I know one very good football player that will be at North Texas in 2010.

And you don't have to play at a BCS school to play in the NFL.
Example...Best Defensive End in the NFL in 2009 came from a Sunbelt Conference School.

block&tackle
07-17-2009, 09:36 AM
There is a lot of bull corn on this thread and I should stay away but I can't.

- There are some very good football players that have been overlooked by the NFL, gone to the CFL and established themselves as great football players, then headed back to the NFL for long careers. This includes a couple of QBs that didn't fit the "mold" for a NFL QB.

- Graham Harrell was a great college football player by any definition. I don't like Tech but I think that it is cool that he is going to get a shot at the next level.

- Academically UNT is about par with Tech...some areas higher and some areas lower. If you don't believe me talk to someone who recruits college graduates for businesses. I know of one Fortune 100 company that cut A&M completely out of their recruiting budget and doubled UNT's after doing an analysis of the quality of graduates that they were getting from both schools.

There is a lot of ignorance floating around here on both sides of this argument but the rudeness it worse. There are folks on this board who have kids heading to or playing for UNT. To get to any level of DI football is an accomplishment. I would think that it is a pretty good guess that those people doing the talking were not given that opportunity.

LH Panther Mom
07-17-2009, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by block&tackle
To get to any level of DI football is an accomplishment. I would think that it is a pretty good guess that those people doing the talking were not given that opportunity.

I'll go one further and say the comments are from ones who didn't have that opportunity at ANY level.