PDA

View Full Version : Coaching School

wildstangs
07-15-2009, 10:23 PM
Who all is going? Anyone have any clinics or speakers to recommend?

GreenMonster
07-15-2009, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs
Who all is going? Anyone have any clinics or speakers to recommend? I'm going. No recommedations though. Definitely hitting the PDC Workshop Sunday just to get the free CDE hours. They are also going to deliver packets to those in attendance so I won't have to stand in line for that joyous occasion either.

Txbroadcaster
07-15-2009, 11:12 PM
I was hoping this would be my first trip down there, alas 2010 will be my first time to coaching school

wildstangs
07-15-2009, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I was hoping this would be my first trip down there, alas 2010 will be my first time to coaching school

Where did you end up going to work?

Txbroadcaster
07-15-2009, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs
Where did you end up going to work?

no where yet..I am stuck in limbo..Will be done with my cert work Aug 10th and waiting on my content scores..At this point I am getting alot of man if u were already certified we would hire ya

So I probably will end up teaching only this year because in DFW area there are still a ton of teaching jobs open even once schools starts.

GreenMonster
07-15-2009, 11:24 PM
can you not apply for a probationary certificate from SBEC and go ahead and get a job? Who's program are you going through to get certified?

Txbroadcaster
07-15-2009, 11:31 PM
the paper work for probationary is in the process

problem is most schools in DFW are want highly qualified not just certified...At least at this point when the application pool is bigger

I have had more than one school say if we need someone closer to start of school were going with you

I am going thru iteachtexas.com

GreenMonster
07-15-2009, 11:42 PM
Highly qualified is No Child Left Behind speak for go spend more of your own money on extra classes in order to teach a class that you are more than capable of teaching, you just happened to major in something else in college. Stupid politicians are ruining education because they make it harder and harder to become a teacher, making it harder and harder for schools to use their current staff to flex slightly to cover a small hole in their curriculum, and expecting these schools to hire more staff and spend more and more on unneccessary programs all the while not giving anyone in the equation the money to do it with.

Txbroadcaster
07-15-2009, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Highly qualified is No Child Left Behind speak for go spend more of your own money on extra classes in order to teach a class that you are more than capable of teaching, you just happened to major in something else in college. Stupid politicians are ruining education because they make it harder and harder to become a teacher, making it harder and harder for schools to use their current staff to flex slightly to cover a small hole in their curriculum, and expecting these schools to hire more staff and spend more and more on unneccessary programs all the while not giving anyone in the equation the money to do it with.

yep ur right..BUT one thing nice that changed Jan 1st...Now if u want to test in another content, you just test..no well you had to have at least so many college hours in the content

That is why I waited till Jan to enroll..I want to teach SS..I was 2 hours lacking..Really did not want to go take ONE course just to test in the content. So when I found in Dec of the rule change I decided to wait

GreenMonster
07-16-2009, 12:08 AM
yep ur right..BUT one thing nice that changed Jan 1st...Now if u want to test in another content, you just test..no well you had to have at least so many college hours in the content

That is why I waited till Jan to enroll..I want to teach SS..I was 2 hours lacking..Really did not want to go take ONE course just to test in the content. So when I found in Dec of the rule change I decided to wait I teach SS. I try to get my kids into a routine so that they know what to expect is going to happen next. I make them read out loud in class mainly because I know they won't read it on their own but also because I know they hate it. This helps me maintain order. One of the plusses I've found is the classroom that I use has several nice technology features and I try to work more and more of that technology into my lesson plans. If I feel like things are getting stagnant I'll dial up a PBS or History Channel video over something in the same time frame that we are working on and give the kids a break all the while continuing to educate them. One of the things I've found is that kids really don't care much for social studies. They all have GPS on their phones now and think map skills are useless and to be honest they kind of have a point. To keep it in perspective I just try to remember the old quote, "those that do not heed the lessons of the past are doomed to repeat them."

SHSBulldog00
07-16-2009, 12:11 AM
I would like to go again this year. I had a blast last year in San Antonio and this year in Austin will be wild.

raider red 2000
07-16-2009, 12:13 AM

show up...there is usually a job room....you might find something good.

mwynn05
07-16-2009, 12:15 AM
I teach SS. I try to get my kids into a routine so that they know what to expect is going to happen next. I make them read out loud in class mainly because I know they won't read it on their own but also because I know they hate it. This helps me maintain order. One of the plusses I've found is the classroom that I use has several nice technology features and I try to work more and more of that technology into my lesson plans. If I feel like things are getting stagnant I'll dial up a PBS or History Channel video over something in the same time frame that we are working on and give the kids a break all the while continuing to educate them. One of the things I've found is that kids really don't care much for social studies. They all have GPS on their phones now and think map skills are useless and to be honest they kind of have a point. To keep it in perspective I just try to remember the old quote, "those that do not heed the lessons of the past are doomed to repeat them." what classes do you teach? my job is 3 world geography classes and 1 world history class....im WAY more worried about the teaching part than the coaching part because i have a season under my belt and i have done enough of that to be more "comfortable" with how to approach it

GreenMonster
07-16-2009, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by mwynn05
what classes do you teach? my job is 3 world geography classes and 1 world history class....im WAY more worried about the teaching part than the coaching part because i have a season under my belt and i have done enough of that to be more "comfortable" with how to approach it

I teach 8th grade US history from the first crossing of the Bering Strait to the end of Reconstruction. It is a TAKS subject and test year. I have to agree with the worrying more about the classroom than the ball fields. It's my competetive nature to try to be the best at what I do. My class is easy to pass if you just do the little bit of work that I give you. If you do the work, then you will have seen the material 4 times in 4 different mediums and you should already know the correct answer come test time. I spend a lot of my own planning time trying to figure out new ways to give the students the same old material. I feel like if I use a new and fresh way to present the material maybe they might pay a little more attention and get more out of it.

mwynn05
07-16-2009, 12:37 AM
I teach 8th grade US history from the first crossing of the Bering Strait to the end of Reconstruction. It is a TAKS subject and test year. I have to agree with the worrying more about the classroom than the ball fields. It's my competetive nature to try to be the best at what I do. My class is easy to pass if you just do the little bit of work that I give you. If you do the work, then you will have seen the material 4 times in 4 different mediums and you should already know the correct answer come test time. I spend a lot of my own planning time trying to figure out new ways to give the students the same old material. I feel like if I use a new and fresh way to present the material maybe they might pay a little more attention and get more out of it. see i wouold enjoy us history 8 or 11 or texas history and i think i would be a lot better at it but i guess i need to get better at world geo and world history, I have been looking at my books and there is some pretty good stuff in there and it also tells you what TEKS you are meeting in that section so that will be helpful to make sure I cover what I need to cover, neither of my grades are TAKS testing level (unless it has changed since i was in school) but i just wanna make sure i cover everything and that they learn what they need to learn and are prepared for their future classes taks etc...and preferably learn a lot more and i also would like them ot enjoy it but not everyone will and thats just how it is

Txbroadcaster
07-16-2009, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
show up...there is usually a job room....you might find something good.

I cant, I have work and can't get out of it.

mwynn05
07-16-2009, 10:20 AM
I cant, I have work and can't get out of it. findinf a job is also a little more difficult for you than it was for me just because you cant just move any where like i could if it came down to it

STAggie
07-17-2009, 08:57 AM
I will be there but no suggestions as this will be my first year.

On the teaching side I have 7th TX History and Science and am really worried about the two preps. I am also going through the iteach program and got lucky and am highly qualified 4-8 generalist so does that mean once I get the probationary cert I don't have to take the 4-8 generalist test till next year since it is a one year cert? I am a little confused on this.

GreenMonster
07-17-2009, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by STAggie
I will be there but no suggestions as this will be my first year.

On the teaching side I have 7th TX History and Science and am really worried about the two preps. I am also going through the iteach program and got lucky and am highly qualified 4-8 generalist so does that mean once I get the probationary cert I don't have to take the 4-8 generalist test till next year since it is a one year cert? I am a little confused on this. That's correct, you have a year. Take it and pass it as soon as you can though. That year will go by quickly.

Txbroadcaster
07-17-2009, 09:40 AM
That's correct, you have a year. Take it and pass it as soon as you can though. That year will go by quickly.

yep..plus again more and more schools are not wanting to go this route. You have to first BE HIRED by the school before Iteachtexas will accept your request to get a probationary certification.

mwynn05
07-17-2009, 01:11 PM
yep..plus again more and more schools are not wanting to go this route. You have to first BE HIRED by the school before Iteachtexas will accept your request to get a probationary certification. yeah and you HAVE to be highly qualified...STA...how was the composite...you should find out if you passed on monday right

Txbroadcaster
07-17-2009, 01:37 PM
yeah and you HAVE to be highly qualified...STA...how was the composite...you should find out if you passed on monday right

Well ur technically Highly Qualified if your eligible to teach that class from your transcripts.

I am eligible to teach

4-8 Generalist
EC-4
and SpecED EC-12

so if I can get a probationary cert until I take the content tests I am still considered Highly Qualified in those 3 areas

mwynn05
07-17-2009, 01:47 PM
Well ur technically Highly Qualified if your eligible to teach that class from your transcripts.

I am eligible to teach

4-8 Generalist
EC-4
and SpecED EC-12

so if I can get a probationary cert until I take the content tests I am still considered Highly Qualified in those 3 areas yeah your right, if i would have failed my test i would have had to take two more upper level classes summer 2 to be highly qualified

STAggie
07-17-2009, 10:07 PM
yeah and you HAVE to be highly qualified...STA...how was the composite...you should find out if you passed on monday right

It was crazy and prolly should have studied more. I am just happy I am not teaching in that content area. LOL. I think I am going to wait my year before I take the 4-8 generalist since I am already hired. I just don't think I will have the time to get it out of the way any time soon.

mwynn05
07-17-2009, 10:25 PM

I am eligible to teach

4-8 Generalist
EC-4
and SpecED EC-12

so if I can get a probationary cert until I take the content tests I am still considered Highly Qualified in those 3 areas TxB you really should try to go down it would be worth it, surely you could call in one day drive down there then drive back that night and be at work the next day and probably have a job