PDA

View Full Version : Ma & Pa Kettle this Friday on TCM! (July 17th)

Phil C
07-15-2009, 11:49 AM
Be sure to check your tv guide for the times. Don't miss them!

Phil C
07-15-2009, 01:15 PM
There are four movies and they start at 7 P.M.

I. B. Watching
07-15-2009, 01:16 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only fan of Ma and Pa

Phil C
07-15-2009, 01:36 PM
These movies are also available on DVD if you want to order them from TCM. Just go to www.tcm.com and place your order.

waterboy
07-15-2009, 01:37 PM
What year were these films made, Phil? They haven't been colorized, have they? I don't remember ever seeing these movies, but I will try and catch them when they come on.

BuffyMars
07-15-2009, 01:55 PM
omg. i never heard of them until terry quoted them one day...and i looked at him like he was crazy!!! just not my cup'o'tea.

Phil C
07-15-2009, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
What year were these films made, Phil? They haven't been colorized, have they? I don't remember ever seeing these movies, but I will try and catch them when they come on.

waterboy they were made from 1949 to 1957 with one being made each year.

The Ma & Pa Kettle characters first appeared however when they were in the 1947 movie The Egg and I with Fred MacMurray and Claudette Colbert. They were not the main characters but the producers noticed at the premier of the movie the audiences really perked up when Ma and Pa Kettle appeared on screen and it was decided that they would have their own movies with them being the main characters. Marjarie Maine and Percy Kilbride were big hits as Ma and Pa Kettle and Marjarie was to get an oscar nomination as best supporting actress.

In 1949 the first of these movies were made and it was called Ma & Pa Kettle. They were hits and did great business even though they were blasted by the critics but the audiences loved them and really that is what matters bottom line and money was made.
They made a movie each year until 1955. Percy Kilbride retired after the 1955 movie and they made two more without him.

One was The Kettles in the Ozarks which starred Arthur Hunnicut as an Uncle visited by Ma and the kids and the last one made in 1957 with Parker Fennerly taking over the Pa Kettle role. They were good but not as good as the first seven. Percy was sorely missed.

As far as I know these movies were never colorized but they are still very funny and I recommend them. At least watch one of the movies and if you don't care for them then all you have lost is a little time.

waterboy
07-15-2009, 03:19 PM
Hey, I'll definitely check it out on Friday! Hopefully, I'll be in a nostalgic mood...

Trashman
07-15-2009, 06:27 PM
Got my DVR set up, can't wait. This will be great.:D

Phil C
07-17-2009, 08:27 AM
Tonight!

I. B. Watching
07-17-2009, 11:32 AM
I've talked my daughter into staying home and watching this with me.

Phil C
07-17-2009, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by I. B. Watching
I've talked my daughter into staying home and watching this with me.

Good going Watching! I hope she enjoys it. Remember there are 4 movies and they go from 7 P.M. to 1 P.M. I don't know if this old man can stay up that late but I will have the recorder on so I can watch what I miss tomorrow sometime after the Tour de France race of course.

Phil C
07-17-2009, 11:40 AM
Some of my friends are exciting and are getting pop corn and soda water for this event tonight. People staying home and possible out of trouble on a Friday night to watch Ma & Pa Kettle movies. They are in for a treat. You gotta love it!

PPSTATEBOUND
07-17-2009, 11:42 AM
Another classic.....Ghostbuster's part duex was on last night.....:eek:

I. B. Watching
07-17-2009, 01:57 PM
I may grill some steaks. Well, burgers lol

Phil C
07-18-2009, 11:40 AM
Great movies. I really enjoyed them. I hadn't seen a Ma and Pa Kettle movie in over 26 years and they are still great today as they were then or when they were first released. I know some people even took off from work yesterday afternoon to take a nap so they could stay up and watch all 4 movies.
I knew they were good and funny and I was right and was not disappointed at all. I am sure TCM will show them again even though maybe not all four at the same time.

Trashman
07-18-2009, 12:32 PM
Only watched "Back on the Farm" last night, intend to watch the others Sunday afternoon. The bit with the goat and the dynimite had us all rolling in the floor with laughter.:D

I. B. Watching
07-18-2009, 02:43 PM
I was pleased to see the Fair one on. That's always been my favorite

Phil C
07-19-2009, 05:39 PM
Margarie Main who played Ma Kettle was born in 1890 and passed away in 1975 at the age of 85. She acted mostly on stage until she started her movie career in the 30s. She was usually cast in supporting roles most of her career except for the Kettle movies. She married psychologist Stanley LeFevre Krebs in 1921 and the marriage ended with his death in 1935. She never seemed to get over his death and loved him and missed him for many years until her death 40 years later. Even during the Kettle movie years she starred in several movies generally as a supporting actress and retired from acting in 1957.

Percy Kilbride was born in 1888 and died in 1964 at the age of 76. He was also on stage for many years before going into movies as a supporting actor. He starring role was Pa Kettle and he was great in it. Marjarie and Percy were great together. He retired from acting in 1955 and was sorely missed on the Kettle series. He played mostly country "hicks" in supporting roles but in real life he lived in the city all his life and was sophisticated and was a fashion dresser much unlike his screen characters. He was a bachelor all his life and didn't like to be around children too much unlike his Pa Kettle characters. After retirement he wanted very much to be left alone. In December 1964 he and a friend, Ralf Belmont, were taking a walk and were struck by a speeding hit and run driver who was never found. Belmont was killed instantly and Percy passed away from his injuries a week later. This was a sad end indeed for someone who had given joy and happiness for millions.