PDA

View Full Version : How RUDE!!

Ranger Mom
07-15-2009, 10:29 AM
Speaking of the obnoxious accountant...I just got off the phone with her again. I don't think she thinks much of me!

Not only does she interrupt me and try to finish what I was saying....all 3 times I have talked to her, when I didn't have the information she wanted, she has said "$h!t!!"

Now, I don't claim to never use profanity, but I darn sure don't talk like that around people I don't know.

It is offensive to me!!! She has no clue who I am and I think that it's just rude.

Am I just being petty???

waterboy
07-15-2009, 10:34 AM
I don't think so, but unfortunately there are people out there who don't think about cursing as being offensive. The oilfield has the most vulgar people in the business world, or at least that has been my experience. When I hear cursing, I just ignore it, and if it's especially offensive I tell them to please refrain from the cursing. That usually works.

blowfish
07-15-2009, 10:34 AM
I was on the phone the other day with a sales woman who we have spent a lot of money with. Anyway she messed up a quote that she sent me and I called her. While I pointed out her mistake she dropped the "F" bomb.

I died laughing. She was horrified. She couldnt stop apologizing she said she was thinking it in her head and it just came out. I got a nice gift bag in the mail with the companys promotions.

I still laugh thinking about it now!

Ranger Mom
07-15-2009, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by waterboy
I don't think so, but unfortunately there are people out there who don't think about cursing as being offensive. The oilfield has the most vulgar people in the business world, or at least that has been my experience. When I hear cursing, I just ignore it, and if it's especially offensive I tell them to please refrain from the cursing. That usually works.

My boys work in the oilfield, and they DO have terrible language!

They slip around me, well I think it's accidentally on purpose, for the shock value.

Thank goodness, they curb that language in public, and around people they don't know, or the ones who it may offend.....especially my mom, who would knock them into next week if she heard it come out of their mouth.

I ask 2 boys in Wal-mart to watch their mouths a couple of weeks ago. I had my 2 y/o granddaughter with me who picks up everything someone says.....she's already sassy enough, I don't need her cussing at me too!!

waterboy
07-15-2009, 10:54 AM
They actually had a study done somewhere, and it was on the news last night, that said that the pain tolerance is higher for people if they are cussing than if they don't cuss. In the study, the subjects had to stick their hand in cold ice water for as long as they could, and it turns out that those that cussed while their hand was submerged had a higher tolerance for pain. Imagine that! I RARELY cuss anymore, and my pain tolerance is extremely high. I guess if I decided to cuss, it would be even higher.....:doh:

Ranger Mom
07-15-2009, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by waterboy
They actually had a study done somewhere, and it was on the news last night, that said that the pain tolerance is higher for people if they are cussing than if they don't cuss. In the study, the subjects had to stick their hand in cold ice water for as long as they could, and it turns out that those that cussed while their hand was submerged had a higher tolerance for pain. Imagine that! I RARELY cuss anymore, and my pain tolerance is extremely high. I guess if I decided to cuss, it would be even higher.....:doh:

I saw that!!

I know when I was in labor with my 3rd kid and I was ready for my epidural, my sweet sainted mother asked me if I could hold out because the Dr. said it would slow my labor down. I looked at her, looked at my now ex-husband and calmly said...get me a (insert f bomb)-ing epidural.

Needless to say I got my epidural and my mom later got an apology!!!:D

waterboy
07-15-2009, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I looked at her, looked at my now ex-husband and calmly said...get me a (insert f bomb)-ing epidural.

Needless to say I got my epidural and my mom later got an apology!!!:D
:thinking: Somehow, I can actually see you doing that! That conjures up some funny images in my weird brain!:D

pirate4state
07-15-2009, 12:44 PM
Speaking of the obnoxious accountant...I just got off the phone with her again. I don't think she thinks much of me!

Not only does she interrupt me and try to finish what I was saying....all 3 times I have talked to her, when I didn't have the information she wanted, she has said "$h!t!!"

Now, I don't claim to never use profanity, but I darn sure don't talk like that around people I don't know.

It is offensive to me!!! She has no clue who I am and I think that it's just rude.

Am I just being petty???

I think you need to get on the ball and have the work she needs ready so she isn't rude to you again.

Oh and quit being petty! It's Wednesday!

:p :p

Ranger Mom
07-15-2009, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I think you need to get on the ball and have the work she needs ready so she isn't rude to you again.

Oh and quit being petty! It's Wednesday!

In my own defense....I don't do the taxes around here, therefore, I can't give her the answers she needs!!

I guess I could just make up some numbers!!

TxAthlete
07-15-2009, 01:08 PM
Not trying to be rude or anything just curious...what exactly makes cursing offensive? "curse words" are in fact just words. Many people who do use them, that do not see them as offensive, use them as an expression of their feelings.
Just wondering what makes them offensive to others :) :thinking:

pirate4state
07-15-2009, 01:11 PM
In my own defense....I don't do the taxes around here, therefore, I can't give her the answers she needs!!

I guess I could just make up some numbers!!

You could, but then she might upgrade to a much more offensive cuss word!

:D

TexasHSFB
07-15-2009, 01:12 PM
You'll get over it. :hand:

Ranger Mom
07-15-2009, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
You could, but then she might upgrade to a much more offensive cuss word!

:D

Well then I would just have to B*t#h slap her!!!:D

pirate4state
07-15-2009, 01:17 PM
Well then I would just have to B*t#h slap her!!!:D :eek: How RUDE! :p :D

Ranger Mom
07-15-2009, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by TxAthlete
Not trying to be rude or anything just curious...what exactly makes cursing offensive? "curse words" are in fact just words. Many people who do use them, that do not see them as offensive, use them as an expression of their feelings.
Just wondering what makes them offensive to others :) :thinking:

I guess that is more of an opinion question. Just like I would never cuss in front of my parents....I have more respect than that for them, same with people I have just met.

My language can get colorful when I am mad, or around friends...but I don't cuss just for the sake of cussing. I guess maybe because I wasn't raised that way.

I sure wouldn't do it over the phone to someone I was needing info from...at work.

I would be in trouble by the boss if I did!!!

BuffyMars
07-15-2009, 02:09 PM
i agree it was a wrong assumption on her part to assume you were ok with her language.

i personally, never cuss at work, or around friends whom it may offend.

i do however, cuss like a sailor, and know i need to work on my lady ettiquettes...as i seem to have zero. :(

Ranger Mom
07-15-2009, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by BuffyMars
i agree it was a wrong assumption on her part to assume you were ok with her language.

i personally, never cuss at work, or around friends whom it may offend.

i do however, cuss like a sailor, and know i need to work on my lady ettiquettes...as i seem to have zero. :(

For the most part...I was okay with her language...if a word is going to offend me, that one would be the least offensive.

I think what got to me was, SHE didn't know that I wouldn't be offended....and she had already pissed me off earlier .....so she was on my $h!t list anyway!!

:p :p :p

Farmersfan
07-15-2009, 03:05 PM
For the most part...I was okay with her language...if a word is going to offend me, that one would be the least offensive.

I think what got to me was, SHE didn't know that I wouldn't be offended....and she had already pissed me off earlier .....so she was on my $h!t list anyway!!

:p :p :p

Do you believe it is better for someone to use a different word that means the exact same thing? Is it the meaning behind the words that are offensive or is it just the words? Would it be offensive to you if someone said frick or frank instead of the real F-word? Their intent is exactly the same...... I have often wondered about the nuiances of these explotives.

Old Dog
07-15-2009, 03:07 PM
RM, does the accountant work for you or for your company? She really needs to be told to rein in her mouth or she will lose business! Sorry, I wouldn't put up with it if at all possible.

Ranger Mom
07-15-2009, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
Do you believe it is better for someone to use a different word that means the exact same thing? Is it the meaning behind the words that are offensive or is it just the words? Would it be offensive to you if someone said frick or frank instead of the real F-word? Their intent is exactly the same...... I have often wondered about the nuiances of these explotives.

Yes...I believe it's better!!

I use "freakin" all the time!!

I would much rather hear someone say "dad gummit" or "gosh darnit"....than throw out the "GD" word.......now that one REALLY offends me and I will say something

Ranger Mom
07-15-2009, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Old Dog
RM, does the accountant work for you or for your company? She really needs to be told to rein in her mouth or she will lose business! Sorry, I wouldn't put up with it if at all possible.

She works for someone who did some consulting work for us once.

Old Dog
07-15-2009, 10:28 PM
I guess that puts you over a barrel and you'll HAVE to deal with her ...................man that really sucks !!!!!!!

GreenMonster
07-15-2009, 11:28 PM
next time tell her to clean up the language because you do not deserve to be cussed out for something completely out of your control and that you under no circumstances do you find her language appropriate for business.

Ranger Mom
07-15-2009, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
next time tell her to clean up the language because you do not deserve to be cussed out for something completely out of your control and that you under no circumstances do you find her language appropriate for business.

My "female" boss told me to do the same thing. Her husband, the "male" boss told me to hang up on her...lol!!

waterboy
07-16-2009, 11:01 AM
I've had some of those calls where the caller is upset and/or using offensive language, too. That's when I say HOLD UP! After getting them to shut up, I explain to them to stop the cussing and talk to me right. If they don't, I hang up. I've seen a couple of times where I said a few choice words and hung up on them. There's no place for offensive and/or angry language in conducting any business transaction, in my opinion. I have a tendency to get very angry when someone on the phone can't talk in a respective tone, and it has nearly cost me my job on a couple of occasions.....but after I explained what the conversation consisted of, my boss would let it go, and tell me that the next time it happens, just hang up.