PDA

View Full Version : Texas Tech

eagleqb_14
07-14-2009, 01:21 PM
are they any good this year? i was looking in the Texas football magazine and they are predicted to get beat by Houston. it also says they will go 7-5:thinking:

Electus Unus
07-14-2009, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by eagleqb_14
are they any good this year? i was looking in the Texas football magazine and they are predicted to get beat by Houston. it also says they will go 7-5:thinking: They lost a defensive end to the supplemental draft.

95mustang
07-14-2009, 02:01 PM
I believe that Tech will be down some this year, but I think they will be better than the 7-5 prediction. Yes they lost Harrell and Crabtree on the offensive side of the ball, and probably the best defensive end they have had in a long time. I do think many will underestimate the talent they still have though. Potts will be just fine at quarterback. His arm strength is far superior than Harrells was.

Dogman_1969
07-14-2009, 02:27 PM
Did the kid from CS that went baseball go to Tech this year? If so he may be the man we watch in a year or so.....

LionKing
07-14-2009, 02:39 PM
I believe they could go 9-3 if some players step up, 8-4 is probably realistic, the game in Austin this year was moved way earlier than usual, which will be a huge disadvantage for Tech, Baylor will be a game they can't have a letdown in, then there's the regular battles with OU and OSU, Tech should handle the Aggies as they usually seem to do, going to Nebraska will also be tough, I know the Huskers aren't what they used to be, but still a force to reckon with.

Texas Cougar
07-14-2009, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Dogman_1969
Did the kid from CS that went baseball go to Tech this year? If so he may be the man we watch in a year or so.....

Yes he did. He is enrolled in school and taking summer classes.

WildTexan972
07-14-2009, 04:16 PM
Nebraska lost as many numbers-wise as Tech did, but Tech reloads QBs and WRS better than NU - WIN

Aggies always get trounced in Lubbock - WIN

Houston is Techlite on offense with lesser caliber players and a much worse defense - WIN

UT mostly sucks early in the season and has lost early to KSU and nearly to lowly Arkiesaw St lately - we shall see

OSU has the same weak defense and as usual an overrated offense that Tech handles well - WIN

KU and KSU in Lubbock is enough said - WINs

the land thieves come to Lubbock this year and Tech always plays em well there in front of a national tv audience - ?

remaining OOC games are stats builders for Potts - WINs

those fools that the magazine pays to make silly picks sure are stealin money.....

wildstangs
07-14-2009, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by WildTexan972
Nebraska lost as many numbers-wise as Tech did, but Tech reloads QBs and WRS better than NU - WIN

Houston is Techlite on offense with lesser caliber players and a much worse defense - WIN

UT mostly sucks early in the season and has lost early to KSU and nearly to lowly Arkiesaw St lately - we shall see

OSU has the same weak defense and as usual an overrated offense that Tech handles well - WIN

the land thieves come to Lubbock this year and Tech always plays em well there in front of a national tv audience - ?

those fools that the magazine pays to make silly picks sure are stealin money.....

So you are saying that depending on the Texas game, TTU could possibly go undefeated? Did you see how they faltered at the end of last year against OU and Ole Miss? And that was the best Tech team ever.

Texas will trounce TTU by at least 3 TD's.
Okie Lite is good this year. Will beat Tech easily.
No way OU gets upset in Lubbock again. I hate the Sooners as much as the next guy, but no way they lose to Tech with a new QB and no Crabtree.

Emerson1
07-14-2009, 05:26 PM
Tech beat Texas on a last second play, at home, in the biggest game of their program with the best team they have ever fielded.

Now it's on Texas' field, UT now has the extra agenda and Tech returns nobody.

WildTexan972
07-14-2009, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs
So you are saying that depending on the Texas game, TTU could possibly go undefeated? Did you see how they faltered at the end of last year against OU and Ole Miss? And that was the best Tech team ever.

Texas will trounce TTU by at least 3 TD's.
Okie Lite is good this year. Will beat Tech easily.
No way OU gets upset in Lubbock again. I hate the Sooners as much as the next guy, but no way they lose to Tech with a new QB and no Crabtree.

a new QB at Tech is no big deal - the new Tech QB has been like 1 or 2 in the nation in passing like 4 times in the last 7 years, so no need to fear that....and there will be about 3-4 guys at Tech getting over 1000yds and over 50 catches this year so the Crabtree numbers won't be lost at all...it is like this every year so how do you not pay attention enough to see it?

I did say that didn't I....IF, and that is a big IF Tech beats OU and UT they go undefeated, and I do think those are the only 2 games Tech may lose, so yes that is possible....OSU is overrated every year and never lives up to the hype so YES Tech beats them in the land that TBoone builds - Crabtree dropped a pass in the endzone last time up there or Tech wins that game, and the OSU defense is no better now than then....and no other team on the schedule is even close....but I can understand you steer lickers thinking that this is your year - you no balls steer lickers think that every year....but it just happens that this year it falls together decently and next year Tech will return a QB while the steers and land thieves each lose theirs....

trounce....I love that....you lose badly in Lubbock so you figure the word trounce comes into play the following year....I'll gladly take the 21 pts if you wanna back up your typing with a wager....

TheDOCTORdre
07-14-2009, 05:45 PM
a new QB at Tech is no big deal - the new Tech QB has been like 1 or 2 in the nation in passing like 4 times in the last 7 years, so no need to fear that....and there will be about 3-4 guys at Tech getting over 1000yds and over 50 catches this year so the Crabtree numbers won't be lost at all...it is like this every year so how do you not pay attention enough to see it?

I did say that didn't I....IF, and that is a big IF Tech beats OU and UT they go undefeated, and I do think those are the only 2 games Tech may lose, so yes that is possible....OSU is overrated every year and never lives up to the hype so YES Tech beats them in the land that TBoone builds - Crabtree dropped a pass in the endzone last time up there or Tech wins that game, and the OSU defense is no better now than then....and no other team on the schedule is even close....but I can understand you steer lickers thinking that this is your year - you no balls steer lickers think that every year....but it just happens that this year it falls together decently and next year Tech will return a QB while the steers and land thieves each lose theirs....

trounce....I love that....you lose badly in Lubbock so you figure the word trounce comes into play the following year....I'll gladly take the 21 pts if you wanna back up your typing with a wager....

i dont know where to start on this one...

Emerson1
07-14-2009, 05:49 PM
a new QB at Tech is no big deal - the new Tech QB has been like 1 or 2 in the nation in passing like 4 times in the last 7 years, so no need to fear that.

They may put up the numbers, but since 2002 a Tech new starting QB has NEVER had a 10 win season. It wasn't until Graham Harrell's season season they he finally got them to 10 wins.

and Tech will not have 3-4 receivers with 1000 yards receiving. They only had 1 last year and only 2 in 07 when Harrell threw for 5705 yards

TheDOCTORdre
07-14-2009, 05:53 PM
Greatest season in Texas Tech history=

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_QGhDGBDR8Mg/SWA-nocnQBI/AAAAAAAAAGY/l3p1rAGQI4Y/s400/Low_4fa1ea59eab649c.jpg

Eagle 1
07-14-2009, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
Greatest season in Texas Tech history=

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_QGhDGBDR8Mg/SWA-nocnQBI/AAAAAAAAAGY/l3p1rAGQI4Y/s400/Low_4fa1ea59eab649c.jpg

Actually, I think this sums it up a little better........

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/3297/techvstexas361.jpg

TheDOCTORdre
07-14-2009, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Eagle 1

ya that is how a team with no national title aspirations or even a chance to win the Big XII South outright would try and sum up their season...keep trying...

wildstangs
07-14-2009, 10:14 PM

So a successful Tech season is eeking by the number one team in the nation, only to have a near miss with Baylor. Follow that up with a slaughtering by OU. Then, end the year out with a humiliating loss to a 25th ranked Ole Miss team. Wow, sure are setting the standards high.

OldBison75
07-14-2009, 10:16 PM
Tech will have a pretty good team but pretty good won't be enough in the Big 12 South this year. Texas and OU will be hard to beat and regardless of what anybody wants to believe OKState will be tough. Look for Baylor to be much improved this year. I think Tech will lose two--but if a defense has an off day, they can beat anybody.

Emerson1
07-14-2009, 10:19 PM
That pic shows the greatest Texas Tech team ever, winning the biggest game in the history of their program, and what do they have to show for it? A Texas A&M 12-7 season moral victory.

PPHSfan
07-14-2009, 10:20 PM
Baylor is going to pull an upset on one of the top 3 this year. I just don't know which one it will be.

ShortDog68
07-14-2009, 10:23 PM
Defense wins championships. If Tech Defense improves, which it should, a lot of surprises will be on the way. I think now that Tech has had an impressive season their confidence will be where it needs to be and they will play beyond their "expected" potential.

When it comes to playing vs UT on the road, we expect some home calls. I hope we can knock the crap out of McCoy and have him watch the rest of the game on the bench. Or maybe we can just have some of our Raider ambassadors keep their scanners on for UT Players texting while driving and show up with a camera for a live report. Haha...

Go Tech! Leach will have em ready.

TheDOCTORdre
07-14-2009, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by ShortDog68

Go Tech! Leach will have em ready.

I hope he does...we wouldnt want another loss in the cotton bowl now would we

GreenMonster
07-15-2009, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
Baylor is going to pull an upset on one of the top 3 this year. I just don't know which one it will be. agreed. Briles will get it done in Waco. He's another gunslinger like Leach, but he actually likes to play a little bit of defense as well.

Eagle 1
07-15-2009, 10:13 AM

I like still rubbing a little salt in that wound.....still burns dont it...:D
I can tell by the reponses I got.;)

TheDOCTORdre
07-15-2009, 02:45 PM

I like still rubbing a little salt in that wound.....still burns dont it...:D
I can tell by the reponses I got.;)

nah nothing really burns about it we were just pointing out the flaws of using that picture to sum up your season

bwdlionfan
07-15-2009, 04:16 PM
It's actually pretty humorous that the Tech fans brag so much about that play. I guess you could print on the side of a trophy that you beat Texas this year at the last second and put it in your trophy case since you couldn't even win your bowl game.

At least Texas won a BCS bowl. How many has Tech even gone to? Zero!

RedWhiteBlue
07-15-2009, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan
It's actually pretty humorous that the Tech fans brag so much about that play. I guess you could print on the side of a trophy that you beat Texas this year at the last second and put it in your trophy case since you couldn't even win your bowl game.

:1popcorn: :1popcorn:

Emerson1
07-15-2009, 04:41 PM

These are the same Tech fans who were laughing at the Aggies for getting all hyped up about 12-7

BEAST
07-15-2009, 04:54 PM
Just for the record, I hate Tech and can stomach Texas but here is what is funny to me, that picture of Crab making the game winning TD catch is great. Where is the picture of the play just before it? You remember the one where all everything Harrell throws the ball to the UT Db that SHOULD have sealed the deal with a pick. Tech was LUCKY to even have a chance there a the end.

Just my .02.

BEAST

Eagle 1
07-15-2009, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by BEAST
Just for the record, I hate Tech and can stomach Texas but here is what is funny to me, that picture of Crab making the game winning TD catch is great. Where is the picture of the play just before it? You remember the one where all everything Harrell throws the ball to the UT Db that SHOULD have sealed the deal with a pick. Tech was LUCKY to even have a chance there a the end.

Just my .02.

BEAST

Kind of like Brownwood was LUCKY last year to even beat Burnet.
I know, because I was at that game.;)

bwdlionfan
07-15-2009, 06:41 PM
Kind of like Brownwood was LUCKY last year to even beat Burnet.
I know, because I was at that game.;)

The thread is about Tech, not Brownwood. Pull your fascination of Brownwood going 3-7 out of your A$$ and talk about the topic we're discussing.

Eagle 1
07-15-2009, 06:46 PM
The thread is about Tech, not Brownwood. Pull your fascination of Brownwood going 3-7 out of your A$$ and talk about the topic we're discussing.

WOW:eek: .did I hit a nerve?
For your information, I was sitting on BROWNWOODS side and rooting for them. I have always been a fan of the Lions, so chill.

bwdlionfan
07-15-2009, 06:48 PM
WOW:eek: .did I hit a nerve?
For your information, I was sitting on BROWNWOODS side and rooting for them. I have always been a fan of the Lions, so chill.

Then why'd you bring it up? You brought it up because you wanted that type of response.

Eagle 1
07-15-2009, 06:50 PM
It was just a reminder that people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.:p

Daddy D 11
07-15-2009, 09:54 PM
Like Emerson said, Tech's BEST season ever still ended with a loss in the Cotton Bowl.

The best QB and Playmaker you will ever had barely got you to the Cotton Bowl, in which you lost to a QB that didn't quite make it at UT.

Tech will always be left out in footbal, it's just the way things are.

Eagle 1
07-15-2009, 10:35 PM
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/2043/salt.png

Txbroadcaster
07-15-2009, 10:56 PM
Look guys dont give him to hard of a time..This was just the 15th time in 58 games that he can proclaim that his team beat UT

While UT fans have had it there way ith TTech the other 43 years..So this is like haley's comet for him..very rare, real bright, very big, and it wont happen again for a long time. So let him enjoy it

LH Panther Mom
07-16-2009, 05:21 AM
put it in your trophy case
At least it wouldn't need an asterisk. :D

bwdlionfan
07-16-2009, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
At least it wouldn't need an asterisk. :D

Hey you got me there, I was hoping no one would bring that up

injuredinmelee
07-16-2009, 12:52 PM

you posted no losses? Way to be objective.

coach
07-16-2009, 02:45 PM
hey guys enough making fun of tech...give them some respect...there best qb of all time has just decded to play in the cfl

Eagle 1
07-16-2009, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster

So this is like haley's comet for him..very rare, real bright, very big, and it wont happen again for a long time. So let him enjoy it

Nice analogy. Come up with that one yourself?:clap:

cshscougar08
07-16-2009, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
Baylor is going to pull an upset on one of the top 3 this year. I just don't know which one it will be.

Not on us. We get them at home. :D

I really don't know what to expect from Tech this year. Sure they won't go 11-2, but I'm not sure how far they will fall. Losing Crabtree and Harrell hurts obviously. But history has shown that anyone and his grandmother can put up gawdy numbers in that system. QB won't be a problem. But I still say back to normal for Tech. 8-4 at best.

Emerson1
07-16-2009, 08:04 PM
History also shows a new QB there has never won 10 games and it took until Graham was a senior to finally win 10 games.

Txbroadcaster
07-16-2009, 08:26 PM
Nice analogy. Come up with that one yourself?:clap:

:D

Bull Butter
07-16-2009, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
History also shows a new QB there has never won 10 games and it took until Graham was a senior to finally win 10 games.

Guess you never heard of Rodney Allison, who came off the bench and led the Red Raiders to a 10-2 mark in 1976.

Txbroadcaster
07-17-2009, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
Guess you never heard of Rodney Allison, who came off the bench and led the Red Raiders to a 10-2 mark in 1976.

yes but 1976 was not his first year or even first year of action. The key word is NEW QB

Eagle 1
07-17-2009, 09:12 AM
yes but 1976 was not his first year or even first year of action. The key word is NEW QB

Your reaching.
I would say "coming off the bench" means he wasn't the starter therefore he is the "new" qb.
Kind of like when Kerry Collins came off the bench and replaced Vince Young as the "new" starting qb.;)

Bull Butter
07-17-2009, 09:41 AM
Your reaching.
I would say "coming off the bench" means he wasn't the starter therefore he is the "new" qb.
Kind of like when Kerry Collins came off the bench and replaced Vince Young as the "new" starting qb.;)
Tommy Duniven was the Red Raiders starting QB in 1975. Allison did see some action, but was not a starter until 1976. Allison was a strong Heisman Trophy candidate in 1977 until he broke his leg early in the season :(

And, yes, he's reaching

Txbroadcaster
07-17-2009, 09:45 AM
Tommy Duniven was the Red Raiders starting QB in 1975. Allison did see some action, but was not a starter until 1976. Allison was a strong Heisman Trophy candidate in 1977 until he broke his leg early in the season :(

And, yes, he's reaching

not reaching..read any Allison bio and it says this

As a college quarterback, Allison led Texas Tech to three Bowl Games - the 1974 Peach Bowl, the 1976 Bluebonnet Bowl and the 1977 Tangerine Bowl.

http://www.gomocs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=17700&ATCLID=1146464

When I think of LED a team to a bowl IMO that means he was starting or had ALOT of playing time that year.

Bull Butter
07-17-2009, 09:52 AM
not reaching..read any Allison bio and it says this

As a college quarterback, Allison led Texas Tech to three Bowl Games - the 1974 Peach Bowl, the 1976 Bluebonnet Bowl and the 1977 Tangerine Bowl.

http://www.gomocs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=17700&ATCLID=1146464

When I think of LED a team to a bowl IMO that means he was starting or had ALOT of playing time that year.

1974 Peach Bowl...........................Allison saw NO playing time
http://www.mmbolding.com/bowls/Peach_1974.htm

Txbroadcaster
07-17-2009, 09:56 AM
1974 Peach Bowl...........................Allison saw NO playing time
http://www.mmbolding.com/bowls/Peach_1974.htm

lol not arguing that at all..when I loked up Allison I got what I posted

if you read a player LED a team to a bowl game ESPECIALLY the QB would u not think he played a vital role?

Bull Butter
07-17-2009, 10:00 AM
Here's more....................
http://www.lubbockonline.com/stories/082999/ath_allison.shtml

Rodney Allison

Born: Jan. 29, 1956.

Hometown: Odessa.

The person: Allison brought streetwise toughness and a little bit of arrogance to Texas Tech after an illustrious high school career that culminated in all-state honors. At Tech, Allison blossomed into one of the best quarterbacks in school history. He took over for an injured Tommy Duniven in the third game of the 1976 season and led the Raiders to a 10-2 season and a share of the Southwest Conference crown. A year later, Tech finished 7-5 after a Tangerine Bowl loss. Allison had the ability to rally teammates around him, and his great versatility as both a runner and thrower allowed Tech to enjoy great success with him at the helm.

Overview: Allison threw for 1,458 yards and eight touchdowns while rushing for another 850 yards as a junior in 1976. He was named outstanding offensive back in Tech's 27-24 loss to Nebraska in the '76 Astro-Bluebonnet Bowl. With Allison, Tech rose to No. 5 in the national poll, its highest ranking ever, during the 1976 season, and Allison was an all-SWC performer. In 1977, Allison was being pushed for the Heisman Trophy, but he suffered a broken leg in the team's third game of the year. He played briefly in the Canadian Football League with the Toronto Argonauts. Allison then went into coaching, working at Tech, Duke, Southern Mississippi and Auburn.

Emerson1
07-17-2009, 10:08 AM
I really meant in the leach era which is the only time period that is relevant.