PDA

View Full Version : Burnet isn't unbeatable

ready2rock
10-15-2003, 09:21 AM
Burnet isnt as good as everyone makes them out to be. They have some returning starters but there are still several teams with the matchups to beat them( everman last year). Kennedale, for one, I think they could take 'em. Anyone who agrees with me speak up and list some other teams who could beat the bulldogs.

Bandera YaYa
10-15-2003, 09:30 AM
Tsk, tsk, tsk.... :rolleyes:

Matthew328
10-15-2003, 09:30 AM
Football is a game of matchups....Burnet I think would have trouble with Kennedale becuase Kennedale is a lot like Everman...I do think Kennedale would have trouble stopping Burnet as well...haven't seen Kennedale do real well against passing teams..but let me tell you...Burnet is as good as advertised...but the matchup will never happen so there is no point really discussing it...

olddog73
10-15-2003, 10:23 AM
Daaaaaa no team is unbeatable, it just has to be done.

bulldogvet85
10-15-2003, 01:41 PM
I dont see how anyone can beat burnet. I think some teams can match up to them and keep it a close game but I dont see anyone really able to beat them. I think that burnet can match up with some small 5a teams and do well. burnet has so many weapons they can run just as well as they can pass. I think that Everman can maybe match up with burnet. maybe not as well as last year but they still can. I think that kennedale can just the same but can they beat them I dont think so. I think that so many teams go in there saying we have to try to stop shipley and we have to put pressure on McGee. But they forget about the others who are just as explosive and just when you think that you have shipley stoped they go to the run game for a few plays or McGee finds someone else to go to. You may slow shipley down but he is going to find away to get going some way some how that kid has some fire. So my thought is that yes burnet is unbeatable

footballman33
10-15-2003, 02:41 PM
ya i agree no team is unbeatable. they can be beat! Theyre made out to be like the best team in 3a. They may be , but someone can beat them.Anyone can have a bad day.Burnet could have a bad day anyday.Which could lead to defeat.Well anyway they can be beat.That doesnt just go for them that goes for anyone. No one is unbeatable.

~andy~

crzyjournalist03
10-15-2003, 02:45 PM
bulldogvet85:
I think some teams can match up to them and keep it a close game but I dont see anyone really able to beat them. If any team keeps a game close, Burnet can lose. All it takes is one untimely turnover to change the outcome of a game.

Forney's defensive passing statistics might be the best in 3A. They're allowing 38 yards per game...but their offense is one of the most potent as well. Forney could definitely hang with Burnet.

<small>[ October 15, 2003, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: crzyjournalist03 ]</small>

olddawggreen
10-15-2003, 03:09 PM
I pray that Burnet gets to play Forney this year, but you guys have to promise that if Burnet beats you, no more wineing out of you guys like last year. A quite sniffle will be ok.

olddawggreen
10-15-2003, 03:10 PM
olddawggreen:
I pray that Burnet gets to play Forney this year, but you guys have to promise that if Burnet beats you, no more wineing out of you guys like last year. A quite sniffle will be ok.

Chief Woodman
10-15-2003, 03:21 PM
Any team can be beat...But Burnet is very good. It will take someone playing thier best game and Burnet messing up for someone to beat them. Then again, that can be said for several teams in 3A this year.

olddawggreen
10-15-2003, 03:48 PM
Chief Woodman:
Any team can be beat...But Burnet is very good. It will take someone playing thier best game and Burnet messing up for someone to beat them. Then again, that can be said for several teams in 3A this year.Your right Chief Woodman, any team can be beat if they mess up. Thats one reason you won't find the Burnet team slacking up or taking any one for granted. These guys have worked very hard to get where their at and they know there are still a lot of games to go to get where they want to be. They take it one game at a time and approach each team they play with respect. Personally, I believe that if they stay healty they can go heads up with any team in 3a with a better than good chance of coming out on top. Im basing this opinion on what I have seen this year. Burnet just has so many weapons in their arsenal this year. But anything can happen between now and the state finals and anyone would be a fool to say their team couldn't be beat. So we just have to take it a game at a time.

cc700
10-15-2003, 04:01 PM
DAINGERFIELD,GAINESVILLE,CELINA COULD BEAT BURNET.DAINGERFIELD AND GAINESVILLE HAVE A TON OF SPEED CELINA VERY BIG O-LINE AND D-LINE MIGHT WEAR THEM OUT.BUT I STILL THINK GAINESVILLE WOULD HAVE THE BEST CHANCE TO BEAT THEM.GO WATCH GAINESVILLE PLAY THEY ARE THAT GOOD.NO IM NOT FROM GAINESVILLE JUST A FOOTBALL FAN.

bulldogvet85
10-15-2003, 04:07 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by bulldogvet85:
I think some teams can match up to them and keep it a close game but I dont see anyone really able to beat them.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"If any team keeps a game close, Burnet can lose. All it takes is one untimely turnover to change the outcome of a game.

Forney's defensive passing statistics might be the best in 3A. They're allowing 38 yards per game...but their offense is one of the most potent as well. Forney could definitely hang with Burnet."

in Reply to your thought-----------What you say is true but burnet's defense can make those big plays on defense as well. Burnets turnover rate isnt that high either. I dont really think though we will see anyone make a close game with burnet. But we wont really know till we get to that point and I think that IF IF IF we do see it it will be way deep in the play-offs and even the sate game IF IF IF they can make it a close game with burnet.

<small>[ October 15, 2003, 04:09 PM: Message edited by: bulldogvet85 ]</small>

1 ranger fan
10-15-2003, 04:13 PM
After witnessing what I did last Friday night I would have to say that anybody can be beat. Just keep thinking you can't and somebody will knock you off. You go in a little unprepared and the other team hangs with you and gains momentum, the next thing you know a good football team gets beat by a very average football team.
And that's why they play the games.

olddawggreen
10-15-2003, 04:31 PM
Thank goodness our team spends more time on the practice field than they do in here.

weatherag07
10-15-2003, 04:34 PM
Of course Burnet isn't unbeatable-any team can be beaten on any given day. There are so many factors that play into this. However, they are one of the best (if not THE best) out there. I believe, along, with many others, that the Dawgs have the ability to take it all.
Ready2rock-If they aren't as good as they're made out to be, then why are they playing as good as they are? If they aren't good, why do we have so many outstanding players? And WHY have we been #1 since preseason??
Just curious. wink

Chris Hart
10-15-2003, 04:42 PM
All it takes is a key injury and Burnet is a totally different team. Burnet can sustain some injuries and be OK, but a healthy McGee is a MUST. If you witnessed the State championship last year you know what I mean. Burnet can't beat the great teams without a mobile Stephen McGee, scrambling is a HUGE part of his game. IMO Jordan's injury didn't hurt us near as bad last year as McGee's did, against a fast, good secondary McGee will sometimes have to scramble in order to give someone time to break free, it happens multiple times every week. Without a mobile McGee Burnet is VERY beatable, but with a mobile McGee they will be VERY hard to beat. JMO

crzyjournalist03
10-15-2003, 05:03 PM
olddawggreen:
I pray that Burnet gets to play Forney this year, but you guys have to promise that if Burnet beats you, no more wineing out of you guys like last year. A quite sniffle will be ok.what whining?

olddawggreen
10-15-2003, 05:40 PM
Chris Hart:
All it takes is a key injury and Burnet is a totally different team. Burnet can sustain some injuries and be OK, but a healthy McGee is a MUST. If you witnessed the State championship last year you know what I mean. Burnet can't beat the great teams without a mobile Stephen McGee, scrambling is a HUGE part of his game. IMO Jordan's injury didn't hurt us near as bad last year as McGee's did, against a fast, good secondary McGee will sometimes have to scramble in order to give someone time to break free, it happens multiple times every week. Without a mobile McGee Burnet is VERY beatable, but with a mobile McGee they will be VERY hard to beat. JMOI agree Chris, I haven't seen very many quaterbacks in high school that can throw on the run like McGee and have the kind of accuracy that he has. He dosn't get rattled. Its a beautiful sight to see. Ive seen him running backwards with an opponent holding on to his jersey and still fire one off that hits its mark 45 or more yards away. With his ability to do this he dosn't mind scrambling in the back field. He's left quite a few defensive players looking dazed and confused because of this.

GreatBigBurnetFan
10-15-2003, 07:44 PM
Let's think this through.

Let's suppose your offense and defense are healthy. There are NO grade problems etc.

Please be assured the folks in Burnet REALLY realize that anyone CAN be beat on any given night. Weather can cause a problem, wet field, etc. Bare in mind a wet field helps the offense.
However, fumbles can present a problem. With all these things in mind. Several of you folks also
say BOLDLY, I might add, that any number of your
teams can do Burnet in, OK. Before YOU make these BOLD professions, think this through.

Defensensive teams, here's what you are facing.
The QB is 6'4", 212# does a 4.5. he is 76 of 128
with 21 td's and NO ints.He's VERY mobile. In addition his line is in EXTREMELY good condition
and VERY quick, 285, 280, 265, 245 and a small
center 225, not an ounce of fat on ANY of them. His receivers are the all time leading receiver in TDs and Yardage, since records were kept, (that's 80 years). His #2 receiver has 523 yds. The QB has thrown to 8 different receivers.
The defense will also face a capable rushing offense with 1,000 yds. Your defense is NOT just facing a pass offense. Be sure to tell your defensive guys that might be carrying a few to many pounds, that may be getting a little tired.
The QB they are facing is not bad at running either.

Now lets talk defense. How's your offensive line?
The opposing middle guard is highly state ranked in power lifting. So tell your QB he may have to run for his life. The LB's their are coming up against are VERY quick, in fact one is 6'2" and runs 4.4, the other LBs are almost as quick.
The defensive ends are VERY quick, lean, eg. 6'2'

The offense you are facing puts up 440 yds of offense. The defense has 7 ints and 13 sacks and allows 171 yds total offense. You guys that say, no problem, go ask your offensive and defensive coaches what THEY think about the team they may be forced to plan a game plan for. If THEY say no problem, THEN the young men will work out the FINAL score on the field NOT here.

Can anyone beat another on any given week, the answer is SURE. Will they, maybe so maybe no.
Regards,
GreatBigBurnetFan

FAIRMAN
10-15-2003, 08:35 PM
Thanks Burnet fan, we may not need film afterall.
I would like to put in my two cents. I think it is sad we do not have a real method to make sure number one is really number one due to the split and fact that sometimes the best teams have a bad game and go out early. I know the metroplex teams can be loaded but I happened to notice the listing of players going to Division one out of state scools on the Texas Football web cite and I was shocked to see the number of Burnet players going both in and out of state. The QB, receiver, tight end, linemen... So where does that leave the rest of us?
Hoping Burnet finds the field wet and muddy. Sure maybe there is another player in the mix, better bring your big guns with you to Austin in Dec. cause your going to need them. By the way, Fairfield only has about 560 or so students and we would be hurting against a school with 60+ players to our 30 like we faced last year in Bellville. We gave them a real contest and it went to the last play of the game and we had a pick in the endzone. Size is one thing but we don't have a half dozen players going on to play football in college.

slpybear the bullfan
10-15-2003, 08:36 PM
I do think Burnet is unbeatable... As a matter of fact, they could beat any SOCCER TEAM... wink

olddawggreen
10-15-2003, 09:22 PM
crzyjournalist03:

olddawggreen:
I pray that Burnet gets to play Forney this year, but you guys have to promise that if Burnet beats you, no more wineing out of you guys like last year. A quite sniffle will be ok.what whining?That whining you, Jason, Jimbotex40 and Rabit93 did last December after Burnet lost to Everman in the final, that even though Forney didn't win enough games to get to the final, Forney should be named Number 2 in the state because they played a tighter game with Everman. I believe you were told then that if Forney had won one more game, they would be number 2 just like Burnet would be number 1 if they had won one more game. You guys were pretty whininy back then. (I checked my old post to make sure I remembered who you guys were.) I would rather just show up and play the game, win or lose than to hear all that BS again.

HotDawg89
10-15-2003, 09:37 PM
FAIRMAN:
I think it is sad we do not have a real method to make sure number one is really number one due to the split and fact that sometimes the best teams have a bad game and go out early. I agree whole-heartedly! I wish there were a way. Last year, Burnet masacred Bandera during district play, and they went on to win the Div II state title. Burnet lost it's final to Everman, and we were ranked #2- but should Bandera have been ranked #2 in state? In my opinion, no, but they did win the title, and in the final rankings- they were ranked, I believe 3rd or 4th. Not really fair to those guys who busted their tails and won a title... Don't get me wrong, I believe that Burnet had the better team- but a title is a title. . .

This system needs some work- but for every suggestion, there is going to be criticism- bottom line- you can't make everyone happy.

tomthall
10-15-2003, 09:38 PM
i would put bill brasky against him. he was once ranked 18th in the college football polls.

HotDawg89
10-15-2003, 09:39 PM
olddawggreen:

crzyjournalist03:

olddawggreen:
I pray that Burnet gets to play Forney this year, but you guys have to promise that if Burnet beats you, no more wineing out of you guys like last year. A quite sniffle will be ok.what whining?That whining you, Jason, Jimbotex40 and Rabit93 did last December after Burnet lost to Everman in the final, that even though Forney didn't win enough games to get to the final, Forney should be named Number 2 in the state because they played a tighter game with Everman. I believe you were told then that if Forney had won one more game, they would be number 2 just like Burnet would be number 1 if they had won one more game. You guys were pretty whininy back then. (I checked my old post to make sure I remembered who you guys were.) I would rather just show up and play the game, win or lose than to hear all that BS again.AMEN!!!

bulldogvet85
10-15-2003, 10:41 PM
Chris Hart:
All it takes is a key injury and Burnet is a totally different team. Burnet can sustain some injuries and be OK, but a healthy McGee is a MUST. If you witnessed the State championship last year you know what I mean. Burnet can't beat the great teams without a mobile Stephen McGee, scrambling is a HUGE part of his game. IMO Jordan's injury didn't hurt us near as bad last year as McGee's did, against a fast, good secondary McGee will sometimes have to scramble in order to give someone time to break free, it happens multiple times every week. Without a mobile McGee Burnet is VERY beatable, but with a mobile McGee they will be VERY hard to beat. JMOI agree with you hart in a way I think its true that a big part of burnets success is that mcgee can move and by time. But I think that even if he wasnt very mobile I think that they are still a tough tough tough team to beat. Cuz so what he cant buy the time he could when he could scramble. they just have to change the game plan some what they will have to run the ball more. But he could still throw his recievers would still have to work harder to get the pass. Yes I understand a big part of burnets game plan is pass and McGee scrammble but they do have a real good run game as well. As for olddawg What you said I believe in dont over look the burnet defense cuz man do they get to the football. There linebackers are hell of crazy. And there offensive line is just as insane they are some big boys with alot of strength. I think that burnet will defenitly get it all this year

GoForIt
10-15-2003, 10:56 PM
It'll be like A&M Consolidated in the early 90s. They built a solid program in 4A, then flopped for a few years in 5A. To read these posts, you'd think Burnet could beat the Dallas Cowboys. It's all about confidence. When you go onto the field believeing in yourself because people feed it to you long enough, you forget how to lose. The same goes for losing. As long as any team has players who discipline themselves without having to be spoon-fed between plays and quarters - ANYBODY can beat ANYBODY.

KTownBalla
10-15-2003, 11:07 PM
I do think Kennedale would have trouble stopping Burnet as well...haven't seen Kennedale do real well against passing teams.. Remember last years Bidistrcit round against Bridgeport. If i say so myself they can handle the pass. We are an extremely quick team. Everman can spot us on that one.

Kennedale matches up very well wit Burnet. We could very well win and shock the world IF we played them...but we will not play them this year. On paper looks like a good match-up. I still honestly think Everman can beat Burnet, for some reason i just think they can.

Any team could beat Burnet on a givin day. The top 10 teams in the AP polls have a great chance of beating them.