PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR fans: what's your opinion on the Mayfield issue?

Maroon87
07-10-2009, 02:08 AM
I know...some of you think NASCAR is stupid. But for those that like it and follow it, what's your opinion on the Jeremy Mayfield saga?

Is NASCAR doing the right thing? Is Mayfield a loose cannon? What's your take?

FYI...they make a lot of left turns. We know this. Find something a tad more original.

Farmersfan
07-10-2009, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
I know...some of you think NASCAR is stupid. But for those that like it and follow it, what's your opinion on the Jeremy Mayfield saga?

FYI...they make a lot of left turns. We know this. Find something a tad more original.

Nascar is second only to Hockey for built-In nonsense....
I know nothing about the Mayfield thing but I can tell you I am tired of watching Kyle Busch cry about getting spun out when it was he who tried to block Stewart. I have always been amazed at the crap that goes on in that sport. I hear it is a hoot to watch in person and plan on attending one before I meet my maker...

crzyjournalist03
07-10-2009, 09:18 AM
I always think it's a lame argument when an athlete claims that he didn't get busted on his "B" sample or that the "B" sample was never tested.

I have yet to see anywhere where Mayfield blatantly refuted the claims that he took meth...at first, he claimed it was a "prescription drug", but since it came out what it really was, he hasn't denied it that I'm aware of. His biggest complaint is that the testing procedure was flawed. Whoop-de-freakin'-do...if you're doing meth while trying to drive a car 190 miles per hour, the testing procedure isn't the only thing that's flawed...

CHS_CG
07-10-2009, 11:49 AM
I haven't been following the Mayfield thing that closely, I dont really care for him. I remember hearing the announcement when NASCAR suspended him for failing a drug test. I know some drivers were asking what he was busted for because Mayfield was saying it was either RX or over the counter drugs and the other drivers were concerned what they could and couldnt take in those cases. So far I think NASCAR is doing the right thing.

carter08
07-10-2009, 12:22 PM
meth isn't making him drive better.

crzyjournalist03
07-10-2009, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by carter08
meth isn't making him drive better.

nope--it's making sure that he doesn't drive at all.

carter08
07-10-2009, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
nope--it's making sure that he doesn't drive at all.

psh.

nascar needs to thin out the number of drivers anyways.

CHS_CG
07-10-2009, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by carter08
psh.

nascar needs to thin out the number of drivers anyways.

they have over the years... they used to start with more than 43 drivers, and there are drivers that dont always qualify for the races too.. so 43 isnt that big of number

carter08
07-10-2009, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
they have over the years... they used to start with more than 43 drivers, and there are drivers that dont always qualify for the races too.. so 43 isnt that big of number

i know.

OldBison75
07-10-2009, 01:24 PM
First, in response to the Mayfield situation, I will only say that NASCAR is the sanctioning body of this sport and has rules and guidelines. If a rule is violated, and it clearly was in this case, then the punishment is warranted. He failed a drug test for meth and then further refused to disclose any medications that he was taking on the testing form. Then he claims over the counter and precription drugs flawed the test. Then he and his attorney refuse a follow up test that was offered by the sport. If he has nothing to hide, then take the damn test again under the controoled circumstances, tell the truth, and cooperate.

Next, I have heard a hundred thousand sports experts on this board and others talk about NASCAR being a non-sport. I challenge any of you to try out racing sometime. To drive at over 190 MPH in a very limited space with 42 other cars trying to beat you, with track and in car temperatures over 120 degrees takes a tremendous amount of strength and stamina. The top drivers today have very intense strength and conditioning programs that rival the top athletes in any sport. 50 Year old Mark Martin does a minimum two hours of weight training five days per week along with running, cycling, and aerobic training that takes a minimum of 12 hours per week. On a recent broadcast, he said that he often runs as much as 20 miles per week.

Yes, they drive in circles most of the time, but they do it at over 190 MPH with other cars less that 3 feet away most of the time and a slight mistake can case contact with a concrete wall, other cars, and huge changes in g-force. They can't take a rest for five hundred miles like other sports that have changes of squads, between inning breaks, timeouts, and halftimes. These ARE athletes that may not be your favorite field warriors, but they do deserve some respect. Most of you would be cowering in a corner scared if you had to drive twenty laps in one of these cars in the same conditions.

crzyjournalist03
07-10-2009, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by CHS_CG

I sometimes wonder if 43 is too big...I mean, the last four spots are filled by Patrick Carpentier and David Gilliland and the likes and they all end up finishing in the 40th spot or worse every week.

I think they could make it really competitive by having 35 racers every week.

You could use the Nationwide Series as a type of "minor leagues". Every year, 40 drivers qualify for the Sprint Cup Series, and winners from the previous year or past Cup Champions are the only ones that get possible qualifying exemptions. 40 drivers race to qualify for 35 spots every week, and at the end of the season, the drivers who finish in the 36th-40th spots get demoted to the Nationwide Series, and the 1-5 finishers in the Nationwide Series get promoted to the Sprint Cup the next year.

BuffyMars
07-10-2009, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
I always think it's a lame argument when an athlete claims that he didn't get busted on his "B" sample or that the "B" sample was never tested.

I have yet to see anywhere where Mayfield blatantly refuted the claims that he took meth

He did in a yahoo article, he said he had NOT taken meth for what it is worth

Maroon87
07-10-2009, 06:30 PM
My take is...I don't know if he's guilty or not, but trouble just seems to follow him wherever he goes.

sinfan75
07-10-2009, 06:41 PM

FYI...they make a lot of left turns. We know this. Find something a tad more original. I don't think they should let him drive anymore unless he agrees to random testing EVERY WEEK. This was technicality issue and I bet the drivers are secretly thinkin the same thing.

sinfan75
07-10-2009, 06:48 PM
Speakin of racin Nation Wide starts shortly on ESPN.:D

RTigMom
07-12-2009, 07:56 AM
Well said Bison!

blowfish
07-12-2009, 09:15 AM
Nice post Bison.

AS for Jeremy, this guy is talented but I believe his mouth and atitude has not done hime well. When he was with Ray Evernham he just couldnt stomach that KAsey Kahne was the rising superstar. He poted and griped and eventually was shown the door. So what does he do? He outs Ray and his relationship with Erin Crocker.

Did he take drugs? I have no clue. My son takes adderal and he is drug tested at work and hasnt test positive for meth. Then again he has told them the medications that he takes. MAyfield never told NASCAR he was taking adderal, which is a DEA controlled substance.

GreenMonster
07-12-2009, 11:08 AM
Here's my take (and no, I am not a NASCAR fan.) A neutral party (the judge) has determined that NASCAR's policy and testing procedures are flawed. The judge has forced NASCAR to reinstate Mayfield's ability to race. Is Mayfield a good guy? Probably not, but aparently the judge who's job is to make impartial decisions agrees with him that he was treated unfairly. You can argue that NASCAR should have the ability to make their own rules and regulations all you want, but if your own place of work discriminated against you then you would want the right to defend your name and reach what in your own opinion would be justice. That is all that is happening here. Let the courts work it out and in the end all NASCAR fans, teams, and the organization as a whole will be better for it.

GreenMonster
07-12-2009, 11:13 AM
By the way, who's to say that this wasn't a planned stunt by Mayfield to make himself a household name? Is it possible that he somehow saw a hole in NASCAR's drug policy and chose to exploit it in an attempt to get his name in the spotlight and draw some additional sponsors to his low budget race team? This guy is aparently a little bit shady so why not? Think about it, if you twist it just a little bit it becomes pretty possible.

CHS_CG
07-12-2009, 11:41 AM
I heard on XM NASCAR radio, they said something about NASCAR is appealing the ruling and something about how Mayfield doesn't have much money left or something like that.

crzyjournalist03
07-15-2009, 06:18 PM
Whoops...Mayfield tested positive for meth AGAIN at Daytona...

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar/cup/news/story?id=4330367

what a moron...he's royally screwed now...:doh:

Maroon87
07-16-2009, 10:31 AM
LOL this is pure gold...

Mayfield comes out swinging
ESPN.com news services

Jeremy Mayfield didn't spare his stepmother or NASCAR in defending himself against Wednesday's report that he has again tested positive for methamphetamines.

NASCAR filed court papers on Wednesday saying that his most recent drug test came back positive and including an affidavit from Mayfield's stepmother Lisa who claims to have seen the racer using drugs on numerous occasions.

Mayfield said he does not trust NASCAR testing and saved his strongest words for his stepmother.

"She's basically a whore," he told ESPN.com's David Newton. "She shot and killed my dad."

Mayfield's father Terry died in 2007 at age 56 of what the Chapel Hill, N.C., medical examiner called a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the chest. Nevertheless, Mayfield told ESPN.com on Wednesday that his stepmother will be served with a wrongful death suit on Thursday.

"She knows what we've got on her," Mayfield said. "For her to come out and do this is pretty ballsy. Everybody that's ever known me knows I never, ever have been around her for more than 10 hours of my life. She's a gold digger. I knew that from Day 1."

Although he said he has no proof, Mayfield claimed that NASCAR paid Lisa Mayfield for her affidavit.

"It wouldn't take much money. She tried to get money from me," Mayfield said. "I have a very short fuse when it comes to her."

Mayfield said he has been tested for drugs every two to five days by an independent lab and never tested positive. He said it was no coincidence that the tests by NASCAR's lab resulted in his suspension and now another positive test. In blasting NASCAR, he went straight for the top, chairman Brian France.

"Brian France talking about effective drug programs is like having Al Capone talking about effective law enforcement," Mayfield said.

Mayfield, who was suspended in May for a violation of NASCAR's substance abuse policy, had been granted a temporary injunction against his suspension ... before this latest test. Now, he has no interest in getting back on the track and will instead concentrate on fighting these latest troubles.

"They're playing this high school [expletive], they better be ready," Mayfield said of NASCAR. "I'm coming after them in a big way. I'm prepared to go all the way and have the backing to do it if it takes everything I've got. I'm not going to back down for something I didn't do."

David Newton covers NASCAR for ESPN.com.

waterboy
07-16-2009, 10:50 AM
I think Mayfield is in denial. He has an addiction that is wrecking his career. He needs to just come clean, get some help to get over his addiction, then get tested at least one a week to prove he's clean. After he's proven he's clean for a period of 3 to 6 months, NASCAR should reinstate him and give him another chance, with the stipulation that he continue to be tested randomly. That's just my opinion.

CHS_CG
07-16-2009, 11:07 AM
What an idoit!

Maroon87
07-19-2009, 02:25 AM
From ESPN.com...

Jeremy Mayfield told a television station in Charlotte, N.C., late Friday that an independent test shows no trace of methamphetamines.

Mayfield, who was suspended indefinitely on May 9 for failing a NASCAR drug test, has denied ever using the illegal drug. Earlier this month a federal judge granted Mayfield a temporary injunction lifting the suspension, a decision NASCAR is appealing.

"We're very excited about the results," Mayfield told WCNC NewsChannel 35 after LabCorp sent test results to Mayfield's attorneys showing he tested negative for meth. The results, Mayfield said, are from a urine sample he gave within an hour of giving a sample to NASCAR, though NASCAR's lab results claim Mayfield tested positive for the drug.

Mayfield also told WCNC he believes NASCAR spiked his urine sample. How can there be two samples that give two different results?

"That's what we'd like to know and that's what we're gonna find out," Mayfield told WCNC.

Mayfield's attorney also told the TV station he believes NASCAR might be "spiking" the sample.

"They are hell-bent on proving Jeremy Mayfield is wrong," John Buric, who is representing Mayfield, told WCNC. "They keep digging themselves a hole [and it] keeps getting bigger and bigger."

Mayfield wants to prove his innocence although he doesn't think he will drive on the NASCAR circuit again.

"I'm in this for the long haul," he told WCNC. "We're gonna fight it out."

"Now that I don't have to worry about going back racing -- because obviously they are not going to let me -- I don't have to worry about what I say. It's like the bully in school [who] got ahold of the wrong little guy."

NASCAR spokesman Ramsey Poston responded to Mayfield's test.

"They seem to be light on details don't you think?" Poston told WCNC. "It's all pretty transparent. We will continue to let real science and sworn affidavits do our talking."

BwdLion73
07-19-2009, 10:20 AM
I think OldBison75 is correct. I did not think too much about the sport until I went to Daytona and saw it live about 8 rows from the track at the pit exit.
Until you see 43 cars come by you at around 190mph inches apart you just don't get the feeling. I had to hold my cap each time they came by or it would fly 20 rows up in the stands!
A lot of them seem like little whiney babys...but I'm not sure what I would say to a camera if I wrecked at around 200 with 42 other cars running just as fast. ;)

As far as the Mayfield question...I would want everyone tested before the race if they were going to be running next to me.
;)

TexasHSFB
07-19-2009, 11:44 AM
LOL this is pure gold...

Mayfield comes out swinging
ESPN.com news services

Jeremy Mayfield didn't spare his stepmother or NASCAR in defending himself against Wednesday's report that he has again tested positive for methamphetamines.

NASCAR filed court papers on Wednesday saying that his most recent drug test came back positive and including an affidavit from Mayfield's stepmother Lisa who claims to have seen the racer using drugs on numerous occasions.

Mayfield said he does not trust NASCAR testing and saved his strongest words for his stepmother.

"She's basically a whore," he told ESPN.com's David Newton. "She shot and killed my dad."

Mayfield's father Terry died in 2007 at age 56 of what the Chapel Hill, N.C., medical examiner called a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the chest. Nevertheless, Mayfield told ESPN.com on Wednesday that his stepmother will be served with a wrongful death suit on Thursday.

"She knows what we've got on her," Mayfield said. "For her to come out and do this is pretty ballsy. Everybody that's ever known me knows I never, ever have been around her for more than 10 hours of my life. She's a gold digger. I knew that from Day 1."

Although he said he has no proof, Mayfield claimed that NASCAR paid Lisa Mayfield for her affidavit.

"It wouldn't take much money. She tried to get money from me," Mayfield said. "I have a very short fuse when it comes to her."

Mayfield said he has been tested for drugs every two to five days by an independent lab and never tested positive. He said it was no coincidence that the tests by NASCAR's lab resulted in his suspension and now another positive test. In blasting NASCAR, he went straight for the top, chairman Brian France.

"Brian France talking about effective drug programs is like having Al Capone talking about effective law enforcement," Mayfield said.

Mayfield, who was suspended in May for a violation of NASCAR's substance abuse policy, had been granted a temporary injunction against his suspension ... before this latest test. Now, he has no interest in getting back on the track and will instead concentrate on fighting these latest troubles.

"They're playing this high school [expletive], they better be ready," Mayfield said of NASCAR. "I'm coming after them in a big way. I'm prepared to go all the way and have the backing to do it if it takes everything I've got. I'm not going to back down for something I didn't do."

David Newton covers NASCAR for ESPN.com. Awesome!:clap:

LMAO