PDA

View Full Version : Dexter Pratt Charged with Marijuana Possession

Electus Unus
07-09-2009, 06:06 PM
OSU football players Dexter Pratt and Jamal Mosley charged with marijuana possession
Comments Comment on this article28
Buzz up!
BY ANDREA COHEN, Staff Writer, acohen@opubco.com
Published: July 9, 2009

Oklahoma State football players Dexter Pratt and Jamal Mosley have been charged with misdemeanor possession of marijuana.
Advertisement

They were charged with one count of possession each on June 17. According to the charges filed on July 8, both "knowingly possessed and controlled within his residence a small plastic bag containing what appeared to be, and subsequently field tested positive as a small amount of marihuana (sic).". Both live in Davis Hall on the OSU campus and are scheduled for arraignment on July 29.

OSU football coach Mike Gundy is out of town and could not be reached for comment. An OSU athletic department spokesman said information would be forthcoming when OSU knew more about the situation.

Pratt, an incoming freshman who attended classes at OSU in the spring, was a heralded running back recruit and will be battling for immediate playing time. Mosley will be a sophomore in the fall and is expected to be a major contributor at tight end.

http://newsok.com/osu-football-players-dexter-pratt-and-jamal-mosley-charged-with-marijuana-possession/article/3384057?custom_click=rss

1st and goal
07-09-2009, 06:39 PM
sad to see this.

rancher
07-09-2009, 06:52 PM
Stick a fork in them, there done unless Gundy is set on running an outlaw program.

Emerson1
07-09-2009, 07:01 PM
I really don't think he is just going to stick a fork in one of the best recruits he's ever gotten. Couple games suspension at most. It's not like it was a DWI.

AggiesAreWe
07-09-2009, 07:23 PM
It says that they kept the baggy in their dorm room. That tells me that someone ratted them out.;)

HEMOTOXIC
07-09-2009, 09:44 PM
:doh: Come on DP, you have to be smarter than that!

BEAST
07-09-2009, 10:15 PM
Im sorry but if that coach has any balls, he will send em packing.

BEAST

Txbroadcaster
07-09-2009, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by BEAST
Im sorry but if that coach has any balls, he will send em packing.

BEAST

over ONE mistake? unless this is a trend you dont need to throw the baby out with the bathwater so to speak

BwdLions
07-10-2009, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
over ONE mistake? unless this is a trend you dont need to throw the baby out with the bathwater so to speak

Somehow I doubt this is a one time mistake. Usually if you're hooked on weed, you'll have trouble staying out of trouble.

OldBison75
07-10-2009, 02:30 PM
Let's let the system deal with the legal issue involved and find out the facts before we condemn. It was a misdemeanor, of the equivalent level of a traffic ticket, only a few leaves and seeds according to knowing sources. And, Oklahoma records say that it has to be less than 2 oz. based on the charge.

Both players said the baggie was not thiers and the police did what the law allows and charged both. Neither admitted the dope was thiers.

I have known Dexter Pratt for years and know he is generally a fine young man, but he is still a teenager. He is not beyond making a mistake, although I still have faith the dope was not his. Let's not destroy a young man's career over this issue unless there is proff that this is a clear ongoing situation. If we do, then we have to take the same approach to a college athlete drinking before he is legal. We all make mistakes, the key is whether we are smart enough and man enough to admit our mistakes and fix them and go forward.

I don't think this will end his career at OK State, but he will now be a target and he must prove to his team, coach, the police, and himself that he is accepting the responsibility for whatever he does and can rise above it. From what I know of him, he will do just that.

Ranger Mom
07-10-2009, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by OldBison75
Let's let the system deal with the legal issue involved and find out the facts before we condemn. It was a misdemeanor, of the equivalent level of a traffic ticket, only a few leaves and seeds according to knowing sources. And, Oklahoma records say that it has to be less than 2 oz. based on the charge.

Both players said the baggie was not thiers and the police did what the law allows and charged both. Neither admitted the dope was thiers.

I have known Dexter Pratt for years and know he is generally a fine young man, but he is still a teenager. He is not beyond making a mistake, although I still have faith the dope was not his. Let's not destroy a young man's career over this issue unless there is proff that this is a clear ongoing situation. If we do, then we have to take the same approach to a college athlete drinking before he is legal. We all make mistakes, the key is whether we are smart enough and man enough to admit our mistakes and fix them and go forward.

I don't think this will end his career at OK State, but he will now be a target and he must prove to his team, coach, the police, and himself that he is accepting the responsibility for whatever he does and can rise above it. From what I know of him, he will do just that.

:iagree:

crzyjournalist03
07-10-2009, 03:09 PM
He should have to pay taxes since they found the weed.

Phil C
07-10-2009, 03:15 PM
Remember this is a misdomeanor! Not a felony!

SHOW SOME COMPASSION! EVERYONE HAS MADE AT LEAST ONE MISTAKE ONCE IN THEIR LIVES!

:mad:

Phil C
07-10-2009, 03:16 PM
A victim of society. :(

WildTexan972
07-10-2009, 03:28 PM
illegal drug possession in a dorm room should get you kicked out of college, much less off a football team....but leave it to the criminals that back the steers to start whining about how minor an offense is so the kids can get the tiny slap on the wrist and have the GOBs pay off the fines and the judges and the lawyers and keep em on the field...

you know, like when a player is "texting" at 2am and runs thru an apartment.....

BwdLions
07-10-2009, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by WildTexan972

you know, like when a player is "texting" at 2am and runs thru an apartment.....

Getting off topic a little bit aren't you WT? This thread is not about Sergio Kindle. It's about two football players from OSU.

Electus Unus
07-10-2009, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by WildTexan972
illegal drug possession in a dorm room should get you kicked out of college, much less off a football team....but leave it to the criminals that back the steers to start whining about how minor an offense is so the kids can get the tiny slap on the wrist and have the GOBs pay off the fines and the judges and the lawyers and keep em on the field...

you know, like when a player is "texting" at 2am and runs thru an apartment..... Marijuana is no worse than alcohol in fact alcohol is in my opinion worse than marijuana. What does your last sentence even have to do with this topic?

firstdown
07-10-2009, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by OldBison75

My son is going to OSU and we just went through fish orientation. One of the speakers was a Police Officer. He stated that any amount of drugs found on campus was a felony. Something about being within 500 or 1000ft of a school.

Pmoney
07-10-2009, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Electus Unus
Marijuana is no worse than alcohol in fact alcohol is in my opinion worse than marijuana. What does your last sentence even have to do with this topic?

alcohol is legal if the person is over the age of 21 while marijuana is never legal...now I don't think this kid should be kicked off the team but he should be kicked out of his dorm like any avg student would be and he should at least be suspended for a few games

OldBison75
07-10-2009, 04:34 PM
I don't know much about Oklahoma laws regarding drugs at school except that the news release by the police said it was a minor misdemeanor charge that normally results in a fine or minimal probation. In Texas, the possession of drugs on public school property is one level higher than the offense in any other location.

I guess that whatever the situation, there are consequences in the legal system that these players should be held accountable for if found guilty. However, I think that they should not be discharged from the football team or school for a first time minor offense of the press release was right. If they are released, then I would say that any athlete caught drinking beer under the legal age should also be discharged from the team since both are illegal and on about the same level legally.

Lets all just realize that this is something for the legal system and team and school rules to handle and no matter how we feel, some of us will agree with the decision and some will se it as a travesty. If you play within the rules of society and the institution, these situations will not happen. If they are guilty then they deserve the level of punishment that the rules dictate.