PDA

View Full Version : Cash for Clunkers

Farmersfan
07-09-2009, 02:53 PM
I went online last night to see if I would qualify for the "Cash for Clunkers" program that Obama got going as of July 1. And I did! If I trade my wife's 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 for a Nissan Altima I would receive a 4500.00 credit from the government to be used towards the purchase of the new Altima. (4500.00 is the maximum). Good news????? Not quite! Here's the catch: The Dodge would have to be destroyed after the trade in which means fair market value is not even considered. My wife's Dodge has a market value of over 7500.00 but Obama in his infinite wisdom wants ME to take his 4500.00 to destroy the vehicle and forego the REAL trade-in value. So basically this is nothing more than another program of welfare setup to benefit the poor or lower class in America. This program does not apply to used vehicles even if they are a big improvement in gas mileage over the trade-in vehicle so isn't it just another case of helping the poor get into something they really can't afford? It makes no sense to me that we are now offering money to people who drive older (inexpensive) vehicles as an encouragement to purchase new (more expensive) vehicles. Didn't we learn our lesson in the Mortgage industry when we forced lower loan qualification standards on our lending industry to try and accomodate our lower income population? Am I wrong when I say we have MORONS running this country????

Farmersfan
07-09-2009, 03:11 PM
If it truely was his intent to get the gas guzzelers off the road then why whouldn't he apply this incentive to "EVERYONE" and why wouldn't he apply it to any and all vehicles? It seems like he is saying "only people who can't afford the new cars will now qualify for the new cars with his help." It's completely off the deep end of common sense.....

Farmersfan
07-09-2009, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Gotta start somewhere. Not hard to figure out where his constituentcy is. Wants cement that first. Besides, dependency equals slavery. Go after the weak, first.

Now you are making me afraid!

PPHSfan
07-09-2009, 03:26 PM
Wonder if I can trade my old Pickup in on a new Harley?

Farmersfan
07-09-2009, 03:40 PM
Crap, Im fear mongering again! I need to stop reading Barry's book and listening to what he says!

Should I go home and start building my underground bunker and stocking it with fresh water, canned beets and ammo????

Let me know before you start the insurrection, OK?

BILLYFRED0000
07-09-2009, 03:42 PM
Gotta start somewhere. Not hard to figure out where his constituentcy is. Wants cement that first. Besides, dependency equals slavery. Go after the weak, first.

You said that right brother/

Farmersfan
07-09-2009, 03:45 PM
On a better note, how y'all liking the Dodson boys?

Last season= Not so much!

Maybe the second season will be better. At least the expectations aren't near as high.

Farmersfan
07-09-2009, 05:04 PM
Really? I thought they were picked to go around 3 rounds deep. You ever talk to either of'em?

I think it will take another season for me judge the current coaches. If I posted my feelings about last season this thread would be closed in a heartbeat. So I think I will just say that hopefully next season things will go a little better.........

Trashman
07-09-2009, 05:06 PM
This is not about getting poor people cars its about getting older polluting cars off the road. :(

sahen
07-09-2009, 05:43 PM
i completely disagree with the whole thing, but if the gov't is taking my tax money and giving it to people for a new car then i might as well be getting my own money....i have a 92 F150, im not poor i just happen to just be starting off in life really and was gonna seriously look at buying a new car this coming spring...come to find out the new camaro V6 gets 22 mpg (epa combined) so looks to me i'll be trading in my 92 F150 w/ 250,000 miles on it and getting 3500 for it, thats an ok downpayment by itself plus what i add im gonna have a nice chunk paid for right off the bat....if the gov't wants to be idiots and give me that much money for my old junker then sobeit, they are using my money anyway so imight as well take it...

Farmersfan
07-09-2009, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Trashman
This is not about getting poor people cars its about getting older polluting cars off the road. :(

I know that is the original intent. But the majority of people who drive the older high mileage vehicles can't afford new vehicles. There is a reason they drive the vehicles they drive. So this plan will give them just enough of a "Boost" to get them into that new car with a monthly payment. The repo rates will go way up and we will have a ton of new cars on the road with NO INSURANCE. Mark my words!!!!!

Trashman
07-09-2009, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
I know that is the original intent. But the majority of people who drive the older high mileage vehicles can't afford new vehicles. There is a reason they drive the vehicles they drive. So this plan will give them just enough of a "Boost" to get them into that new car with a monthly payment. The repo rates will go way up and we will have a ton of new cars on the road with NO INSURANCE. Mark my words!!!!!

I don't disagree with you; the program is a complete farce. It is one of those that the left can say "Oh....look what we did for the little people and the environment." When in reality this program will never be used by anybody.

PPHSfan
07-09-2009, 11:33 PM
Doesn't anyone get it?

This is about selling cars, nothing else.

The new administration owns the Automotive Industry now.

Would you rather have the President dress up like a cowboy and shoot the windshield prices on a TV commercial?:p

AP Panther Fan
07-10-2009, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
Doesn't anyone get it?

This is about selling cars, nothing else.

The new administration owns the Automotive Industry now.

Would you rather have the President dress up like a cowboy and shoot the windshield prices on a TV commercial?:p

lol...that's what I was thinking...actually, I was wondering if part of the package specifies buying a GM product over Ford.

Something that really ticks me off on the local level is that if an individual buys a used car, they are forced to pay sales tax based on the "presumptive" value rather than the purchase price of the car. Sooooo, say someone comes across a good deal and is paying for instance $5000.00 for a used car BUT the good ol' tax office says it is worth 7500.00 you get to pay tax on the higher amount. I think it is a ripoff and another thing I think I will blame on Rick Perry (guilty or not).

Farmersfan
07-10-2009, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
lol...that's what I was thinking...actually, I was wondering if part of the package specifies buying a GM product over Ford.

Something that really ticks me off on the local level is that if an individual buys a used car, they are forced to pay sales tax based on the "presumptive" value rather than the purchase price of the car. Sooooo, say someone comes across a good deal and is paying for instance $5000.00 for a used car BUT the good ol' tax office says it is worth 7500.00 you get to pay tax on the higher amount. I think it is a ripoff and another thing I think I will blame on Rick Perry (guilty or not).

I think that stems from all the years of people purchasing 10,000 cars from friends and claiming they only paid 500.00 for it at the DMV for tax purposes.
What I found recently is that if you trade value for value you have to pay taxes on the value you get. My buddy traded a corvette for a cabin cruiser on Texoma and when asked at the Parks and Wildlife dept what the value was he told them 38K and they charged him taxes on 38K. He refused to pay it and did a little research and found out he had to claim it as a gift. When the man who got the corvette tried to transfer the title and register it at the DMV he encountered the same thing. They told him he had to pay taxes on the Market value of the corvette. I don't know what he ended up doing.

Farmersfan
07-10-2009, 02:05 PM
Sounds like an "auto crisis" to match the "housing crisis" is in the works.

Another great thing about this current administration. BHO got elected by promising to save people's homes and get the mortgage industry under control. He has spent billions of dollars and the foreclosure rates are higher than ever. Loans are harder than ever. By the time he gets anything going (if he does) it will be too late for millions of Americans and the money he is now spending will be gone.....

AP Panther Fan
07-10-2009, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
I think that stems from all the years of people purchasing 10,000 cars from friends and claiming they only paid 500.00 for it at the DMV for tax purposes.
What I found recently is that if you trade value for value you have to pay taxes on the value you get. My buddy traded a corvette for a cabin cruiser on Texoma and when asked at the Parks and Wildlife dept what the value was he told them 38K and they charged him taxes on 38K. He refused to pay it and did a little research and found out he had to claim it as a gift. When the man who got the corvette tried to transfer the title and register it at the DMV he encountered the same thing. They told him he had to pay taxes on the Market value of the corvette. I don't know what he ended up doing.

True, for years many people lied on title transfer forms about the amount they paid for vehicles....so what does the State of Texas do? They no longer have those little forms notorized and go to this presumptive value which 1) penalizes honest people and 2) lets them determine how much we have to pay taxes on. This will always work to their advantage....

In the case of your friend, not sure about the Parks and Wildlife side of it, but the guy lucky enough to get the corvette either had to pay the higher tax, not transfer the title and/or could have hired a private appraiser (costs 200-300.00) in order to get an opinion of value to argue with the tax office. You can't win...:dispntd:

PPHSfan
07-10-2009, 10:21 PM
It makes so much more sense to give a person 4500 dollars for a car, and then destroy it, so that person who can't afford a new car goes into debt, than it would to say just buy them a decent 4500 dollar used car.:p

Twirling Time
07-11-2009, 02:24 AM
Don't forget, not only are all of us able to get $4,500 from the feds for a clunker, but you can also get up to $3,500 through the AirCheck Texas program if you qualify.

http://www.tceq.state.tx.us/implementation/air/mobilesource/vim/driveclean.html

Farmersfan
07-13-2009, 09:20 AM
It makes so much more sense to give a person 4500 dollars for a car, and then destroy it, so that person who can't afford a new car goes into debt, than it would to say just buy them a decent 4500 dollar used car.:p

I seems so simple doesn't it? I think they secretly wanted to push to help the auto industry at the same time...........

Pick6
07-13-2009, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan

Something that really ticks me off on the local level is that if an individual buys a used car, they are forced to pay sales tax based on the "presumptive" value rather than the purchase price of the car.

Not completely true. You can go to a a dealership of the brand of car you bought and get them to appraise the vehicle. Whatever they appraise it at is what you pay the taxes on.

gtownpoke
07-13-2009, 10:23 PM
my wife and I have been talking this over for a little while now and I want to make sure I've got this right..
I have a 98 Nissan Frontier with around 140,000 miles. I will never get $4500 for it so I am thinking about doing the whole "Cash for Clunkers" deal. My question is.. do you just straight up get money for it, or does the $4500 have to go towards a car.. and if it has to go towards getting a car does it have to be a new car? Thanks!!

gtownpoke
07-13-2009, 10:36 PM
So the $4500 has to go towards a car with better than like 18-20 MPG or what?

gtownpoke
07-13-2009, 10:52 PM
ok thanks!

turbostud
07-13-2009, 10:55 PM

Used Cars (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqHZWdFVyyQ)

Farmersfan
07-14-2009, 07:53 AM
New car has to get 22 mpg or better, and be at least a 4 mpg improvment over your old car. If it's between a 4 and 9 mpg, you get $3,500. If it's 10 MPG or better, you get $4,500.
Your trade in has to be no older than 25 years old, and you have to have owned it and insured it for at least a year. Also, your old car can get no better than 18 mpg.

The dealer does all the paperwork and gets the payment from the government. If I understood it correct you will never see the money.

sahen
07-14-2009, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by gtownpoke
So the $4500 has to go towards a car with better than like 18-20 MPG or what?

to get 4500 the new car has to get at least 10 mpg better than your current vehicle....if it gets less than 10 mpg better but the new car still gets at least 22 mpg then you get 3500....

your old car has to get 18 mpg or less, been insured, and owned by you for the last year for you to get any money...

from the way i understand it the dealership will basically just take the money off the price of a car (like a downpayment) and you will never see the money...

mpg is measured using hte EPA's combined mpg you can find at www.fueleconomy.gov

there is also a link at that website for more particulars about the CARS program