PDA

View Full Version : T Boone Quits!

ronwx5x
07-08-2009, 10:32 AM
Wtih the announcement of the halt in plans to build all these windmills to generate electricity, who on the 3ADL is going to be affected? I don't think Mr. Pickens' plans included Sweetwater since it all appears to be in the panhandle.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090707/ap_on_bi_ge/us_pickens_wind_energy

Maroon87
07-08-2009, 12:38 PM
I know there's a pretty good sized wind farm in South Texas, near Odem, but I don't think that belongs to T Boone.:thinking:

I. B. Watching
07-08-2009, 01:22 PM
Does this mean they will quit interviewing everytime the Okie State Aggies play on TV?

Old Cardinal
07-08-2009, 01:46 PM
What I read is that they had to drop down to 25% of the project because the folks setting up the "grid" to move the electricity-- where needed-- were unable to produce for some reason.

ronwx5x
07-08-2009, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
What I read is that they had to drop down to 25% of the project because the folks setting up the "grid" to move the electricity-- where needed-- were unable to produce for some reason.

The article states that "plans have been scrapped". I'm not certain how accurate yahoo news is, though.

This is from AP and says the same, "plans have been scrapped".

sinfan75
07-08-2009, 05:30 PM
I was listenin to him last night and I was kinda lost at what he was sayin. He was sayin we were about out of oil (don't think so) but we had an abundance of natural gas which we do have. He was talkin about turnin diesel powered engines into natural gas engines. I don't know if they've even started making natural gas engines for cars and trucks. I think in the oilfields they use natural gas compressor engines so I guess they have em. I know one thing. You wanna talk about a pipeline boom goin. Wouldn't be hard to get natural gas to the current gas stations. They all are hooked into a natural gas line anyways so they'd just have to hook up to the natural gas pump and be in business. I think what he's lookin at is that he can get a quicker profit in the natural gas business than in the windmill business. All us oldtimers are sayin "Give us one more oil boom and you'll never see us again.":D

Trashman
07-08-2009, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by sinfan75
I was listenin to him last night and I was kinda lost at what he was sayin. He was sayin we were about out of oil (don't think so) but we had an abundance of natural gas which we do have. He was talkin about turnin diesel powered engines into natural gas engines. I don't know if they've even started making natural gas engines for cars and trucks. I think in the oilfields they use natural gas compressor engines so I guess they have em. I know one thing. You wanna talk about a pipeline boom goin. Wouldn't be hard to get natural gas to the current gas stations. They all are hooked into a natural gas line anyways so they'd just have to hook up to the natural gas pump and be in business. I think what he's lookin at is that he can get a quicker profit in the natural gas business than in the windmill business. All us oldtimers are sayin "Give us one more oil boom and you'll never see us again.":D

T. Boone, was speaking at a conference that I attended this last spring. What he is proposing is to use natural gas as a bridge to the next source of energy (whatever that may be). He knows that we have used all the easy oil and that we need something else to close the gap to keep fuel prices stable.

STANG RED
07-08-2009, 05:44 PM
Any internal combustion engine can be addapted to run on natural gas.
As for the windmills, all of that is going to still happen, with or without T Boone. But it will take several years to get the new T lines in place. Some will be completed by the end of this year, but it will be 2012 till this whole phase in progress now will be completed. Even then, there will still need to be many more built in the future. It'll be at least 2020 or longer before enough new T lines will be in place to meet the needs, however the power gets generated.
I think T Boone is just pulling out because he knows he probably wont still be kicking for the next windmill boom.

sinfan75
07-08-2009, 06:00 PM
He wants one more big oil & gas boom I think. Just my opinion but if the government really wants energy independence, drilling for our own oil & gas has to be in the equation. The infrastructure is already there, the tecnology to extract shale oil is there of which there is 500 billion to 1 trillion barrels in the Rockies not to mention an abundance of "clean" coal. That could sustain this country until wind, solar, nuclear and bio-fuels are set in place enough to replace oil & gas. But to completely slow or discontinue drilling in this country would be pretty devastating. Just my thought.

sinfan75
07-08-2009, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Trashman
T. Boone, was speaking at a conference that I attended this last spring. What he is proposing is to use natural gas as a bridge to the next source of energy (whatever that may be). He knows that we have used all the easy oil and that we need something else to close the gap to keep fuel prices stable. Companies like Shell and Exxon-Mobile say they can extract shale oil at $40 per barrel. That's dirt cheap by todays prices.

navscanmaster
07-08-2009, 07:07 PM
I work for Schlumberger, and our obvious problem is that the low demand and large supply we currently have has driven prices so low that the drilling, production and services companies (i.e. XTO, Chesapeake, Nabors, Haliburton, etc.) are just going to continue cutting employees and wages for the ones that are left. It is going to be a mess when it starts back up, which everyone is predicting to be between Sept. and Dec. 09. The centers of activity for natural gas drilling and production are the Rockies, Barnett Shale (DFW area), Haynesville Shale (Bossier City, Marshall), and Marcellus Shale (Western PA). Where I work at primarily is the Freestone Trend around Fairfield, Teague, and Franklin. That area is a developed gas field that has 1000's of wells already with infill and workover drilling. I am seeing less and less new well drilling and more and more workovers on old wells. And mind you, that is cheaper gas, not the more expensive shale gas that is somehow still alive.

sinfan75
07-08-2009, 07:23 PM
One of the companies we work for in Sinton loaded up there yard with alot tubing and casing. A little drillin but a lot of re-entry work. I think they said mid-August early September.

navscanmaster
07-08-2009, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by sinfan75
One of the companies we work for in Sinton loaded up there yard with alot tubing and casing. A little drillin but a lot of re-entry work. I think they said mid-August early September.
Yeah, they are re-entering (working over) a good load of wells, hitting some formations they passed over during the boom, trying to get the deeper gas to market quicker.

Old Cardinal
07-08-2009, 08:26 PM
This is one good set of informative people on here!

I was in New Zealand 30 years ago and they were running Natural Gas(which was locally available) in their cars and big trucks; back then...The North and South Islands are almost nil on conventional oil production.

I even saw a big family Coop that took fresh chicken manure and added hot water and captured the resulting methane produced by the natural manure yeast action. It was scrubbed in 0.01 Normal KOH water towers to remove the Carbon Dioxide from the gas. Thus making a rich hot BTU gas.

Folks, compressors pressured the gas and it was stored at 2000# psi in volume on even the 18 wheelers. They were running 22 big trucks plus all the farm equipment and all the autos! Storage on cars were in tanks on the roof. If a wreck happened and one was punctured-- it gassed off rising into the air above, most always.

The spent-nutrient laden slurry in the reaction vessels, after the gas was made, was sprayed back on the grain fields; thus, making feed for the broilers and laying chickens that-- made the next batches of manure.

It was a perfect cycle and it worked very well! They even had the gas piped into their homes of the Coop; however, it was scrubbed through around 0.5 normal NaOH to sweeten the gas so their was absolutely NO ODOR. I ate a good supper cooked on gas made from the manure-to-gas feedstock operation.

sinfan75
07-08-2009, 08:33 PM
Sounds like crappy operation to me.:D

ronwx5x
07-08-2009, 08:47 PM
This is one good set of informative people on here!

I was in New Zealand 30 years ago and they were running Natural Gas(which was locally available) in their cars and big trucks; back then...The North and South Islands are almost nil on conventional oil production.

I even saw a big family Coop that took fresh chicken manure and added hot water and captured the resulting methane produced by the natural manure yeast action. It was scrubbed in 0.01 Normal KOH water towers to remove the Carbon Dioxide from the gas. Thus making a rich hot BTU gas.

Folks, compressors pressured the gas and it was stored at 2000# psi in volume on even the 18 wheelers. They were running 22 big trucks plus all the farm equipment and all the autos! Storage on cars were in tanks on the roof. If a wreck happened and one was punctured-- it gassed off rising into the air above, most always.

The spent-nutrient laden slurry in the reaction vessels, after the gas was made, was sprayed back on the grain fields; thus, making feed for the broilers and laying chickens that-- made the next batches of manure.

It was a perfect cycle and it worked very well! They even had the gas piped into their homes of the Coop; however, it was scrubbed through around 0.5 normal NaOH to sweeten the gas so their was absolutely NO ODOR. I ate a good supper cooked on gas made from the manure-to-gas feedstock operation.

There must be good reasons more countries don't do this. Cost, inefficiency, waste material, disease, danger?

When I worked on a seismograph crew many years ago, all our trucks were powered by natural gas. The main reason was that the gas could be purchased without road use tax as it was being used off-road. Of course there was massive cheating going on since all the crew vans were also natural gas powered. I certainly never saw voluntary taxes paid when we used the highway system to move the trucks. The natural gas was far less efficient than gasoline, but the tax saving made it worthwhile.

Old Cardinal
07-08-2009, 09:27 PM
I looked the operation over and I worked in Environmental at the time--later I received a MS and was a Safety Engineer.
It looked state-of-the-art to me. That operation was viable anywhere in the world using just the technology that they had developed and actuated.
It utilized waste to make the free road-gas and it put the Potassium, Nitrogen, and Phosphates, plus all kinds of trace essential elements in aqueous-solution right back into grain production and even the hay that was also feed into the clean dairy-wing and beef end of the business. Some of that bovine manure even found it way into road fuel also.

We still have it made on fuel for a while: they did not and that was the motivation to drive the free fuel bonanza an raise profits on this large innovative Coop operation. LOL

big daddy russ
07-08-2009, 11:54 PM
Wonder if this has anything to do with Cap and Trade? Maybe Pickens' people actually read the bill.

PPHSfan
07-09-2009, 01:14 AM
Some of you younger posters will live long enough to see the day when there is an engine that will remove the nitrogen and oxygen from the air, burn it, and expel nothing but clean water.

Old Cardinal
07-09-2009, 09:34 AM
To PPHS: Their are already engines and systems that separate Hydrogen and Oxygen from common tap water--it burns for fuel BTU value and the resulting steam exhaust turns back to common tap water.

The process is simple but not quite cost effective to become a commercial competitor at present.

PPHSfan
07-09-2009, 09:37 AM
To PPHS: Their are already engines and systems that separate Hydrogen and Oxygen from common tap water--it burns for fuel BTU value and the resulting steam exhaust turns back to common tap water.

The process is simple but not quite cost effective to become a commercial competitor at present.

Nitrogen is much more stable than Hydrogen. The day will come.

ronwx5x
07-09-2009, 10:07 AM
I looked the operation over and I worked in Environmental at the time--later I received a MS and was a Safety Engineer.
It looked state-of-the-art to me. That operation was viable anywhere in the world using just the technology that they had developed and actuated.
It utilized waste to make the free road-gas and it put the Potassium, Nitrogen, and Phosphates, plus all kinds of trace essential elements in aqueous-solution right back into grain production and even the hay that was also feed into the clean dairy-wing and beef end of the business. Some of that bovine manure even found it way into road fuel also.

We still have it made on fuel for a while: they did not and that was the motivation to drive the free fuel bonanza an raise profits on this large innovative Coop operation. LOL

I make the assumption that cost and quantity was probably the catalyst halting expansion to other countries? Then there are the other concerns listed in my previous post. Maybe we (USA) need a good shortage of petroleum availability to help move the bar to more alternative fuels. Obviously this type of fuel is insufficient to cover all usage, but it could help. All the other concerns would probably pale in comparison to not having fuel at all!

SintonFan
07-09-2009, 11:40 AM
We have compressed natural gas (CNG) vehicles today. What we don't have is the efficient infrastructure to distribute. CNG is a very high pressure gas and the storage for this fuel creates some problems.
Propane is a better option; it is very green(low emissions), easier to convert vehicles and we have most of the components in place for good distribution of the product. It is cheaper than gasoline(25 to 50% cheaper) and still delivers about 95% of the power you get with gasoline.

sahen
07-09-2009, 12:16 PM
some of this stuff is cheaper than gas right now but if we changed over to it and increased the demand then it wouldnt be cheaper anymore....just saying...

SintonFan
07-09-2009, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by sahen
some of this stuff is cheaper than gas right now but if we changed over to it and increased the demand then it wouldnt be cheaper anymore....just saying...
90% of propane is made from natural gas.

Old Cardinal
07-09-2009, 01:51 PM
To PPPHfan:
Not to be offensive, but NITROGEN is INERT it will not burn under any conditions and therefore cannot be any part of fuel . It makes up nearly 80% of our ambient atmosphere.

To SintonFan--Bingo, you hit it on the head.

PPHSfan
07-09-2009, 02:00 PM
To PPPHfan:
Not to be offensive, but NITROGEN is INERT it will not burn under any conditions and therefore cannot be any part of fuel . It makes up nearly 80% of our ambient atmosphere.

To SintonFan--Bingo, you hit it on the head.

Maybe I didn't explain myself, or maybe I'm just wrong. But when we find a way to Remove the Nitrogen, and expel the Hydrogen, the remaining oxygen and other gasses are highly flammable.

Old Cardinal
07-09-2009, 02:20 PM
To PPPHfan:
Again a little correction-- now on Oxygen......Actually Oxygen by itself will not burn; however, it is an enhancer/oxidizer of all fuels' flammability. Most easily understood is-- a FIRE is a super-rapid oxidation chemical reaction

Whereas, Nitrogen is totally inert.

PPHSfan
07-09-2009, 02:23 PM
To PPPHfan:
Again a little correction-- now on Oxygen......Actually Oxygen by itself will not burn; however, it is an enhancer/oxidizer of all fuels' flammability.

Whereas, Nitrogen is totally inert.

I tried to correct myself before you replied. Like I said, I'm probably wrong anyway.

P.S. I made you a few anagrams on the anagram thread.:D

Old Cardinal
07-09-2009, 02:32 PM
Don't worry friend, I have nearly a PhD in this field and really was just trying to explain some stuff that is generally mis-understood in this slightly specialized field.

There are so many alternatives to the fuel/energy issue that I think that it will take most all of the fuel/energy sources to meet the expanding needs of our futures.