PDA

View Full Version : 2 a days

4x100jackets
07-07-2009, 10:35 PM
Right around the corner... I am already tired. IT IS TO HOTTTTT

SintonFan
07-07-2009, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
We suit up on August 11th. Right now, Im more interested in getting this season over with so we can get ready for next season. Gonna be salty come 2010.
ETB, I read that you have some time. lol Can you post a "Coaches guide for kids who want to be prepared for 2-a-days?"
I really think this can be helpful for kids. Just an opinion piece if you want. Thanks.:)

underware
07-08-2009, 03:37 PM
I hope most of the guys are at least working or walking outside during the day? It is very hot in Yoakum. We did manage to get a little rain the other day. Yeay, for us! My cousin has been lifting weights during the morning and jogging in the late evening. But during the day, he goes out and walks only.

STAggie
07-08-2009, 03:54 PM
Acclimation to the heat and hydration are #1. A kid preparing for 2-a-days should be spending at least an hour outside during the heat of the day right now, doing some sort of active activity. For football, short burst sprints are best(jogging long distances does nothing for football conditioning), or good ol' fashioned bleacher sprints.
As for hydration, waiting until practice is a bad move. Hydration starts WAAAY before activity. Any one preparing for 2-a-days should give up soft drinks and energy drinks NOW! Gatorade and the like is also very unneccesary. Right now, water is what is needed, and lots of it. Once 2-a-days begin, players should be sipping on water all day and night. Every waking hour should include a cup of water. Sports drinks are only necessary during activity. Besides, a MUCH better choice than Gatorade is Rehydrate from Advocare(PM me for more details).
So, right now, kids should be getting in shape, in the heat(short, 50-100 yard sprints), and drinking plenty of water right now. Once 2-a-days begin, water ALL DAY LONG, 3 good meals, and lots of sleep. DO NOT let your kids go to sleep after practice without eating. Many will want to do this, big mistake.

Any advice for coach's getting ready for 2 a days? :D

STAggie
07-08-2009, 04:49 PM
Pretty close to the same LOL. Im in the heat with the kids during our performance course right now, and Im all stocked up on Rehydrate.
You probably should start preparing your wife for single life. Get her introduced to the other coaches' wives. They can serve as a support system. Probably gonna be rough on her this first year. I kiss mine goodbye on the first day of 2-a-days and tell her I'll see her in the offseason LOL

She has been getting ready and the only problem is my offseason is going to be the summer. I think coaching school will be a good prep course for her. At least she is a teacher and is really involved during the school year. Hopefully, it won't be to bad. As far as heat I have been getting out in the evenings and playing basketball and throwing the football. I am behind a desk most of the day at work though so that scares me.

SintonFan
07-08-2009, 10:21 PM
Acclimation to the heat and hydration are #1. A kid preparing for 2-a-days should be spending at least an hour outside during the heat of the day right now, doing some sort of active activity. For football, short burst sprints are best(jogging long distances does nothing for football conditioning), or good ol' fashioned bleacher sprints.
As for hydration, waiting until practice is a bad move. Hydration starts WAAAY before activity. Any one preparing for 2-a-days should give up soft drinks and energy drinks NOW! Gatorade and the like is also very unneccesary. Right now, water is what is needed, and lots of it. Once 2-a-days begin, players should be sipping on water all day and night. Every waking hour should include a cup of water. Sports drinks are only necessary during activity. Besides, a MUCH better choice than Gatorade is Rehydrate from Advocare(PM me for more details).
So, right now, kids should be getting in shape, in the heat(short, 50-100 yard sprints), and drinking plenty of water right now. Once 2-a-days begin, water ALL DAY LONG, 3 good meals, and lots of sleep. DO NOT let your kids go to sleep after practice without eating. Many will want to do this, big mistake.
Tell me if this is OK. My son has been down here in Sinton for the last month helping out, doing chores and actually dug some post holes for my dad's farm south of Beelville. He has spent 3-6 hours outside a day total. He likes to read so some time is spent there. We went bike riding this last Sunday(his first in a month) morning and his old man pushed him hard for 18 minutes on a hilly 4.1 mile bike ride at 12 noon in 93-96 degree weather. He was gassed(I wasn't lol) when we took our 5 minute break under the Bandera Rd bridge. Our time back, going mainly up hill, was about five minutes longer and he did fine. lol He was pushing me.
With that in mind let me know if this is asking too much for the kid who is going into HS football.
I want him to ride his Diamondback bike everyday to his athletic weight room to workout and come back after. The round trip is around 8 miles. The weight room is open all day and I thought it would be good for him to start earlier in the day to workout for some time and ride right back. Then ask him to ride later and later to get him more acclimated. If this is acceptable, what kind of schedule do you recommend? Two a days are around the corner. We drink alot of water at our house and hydration is always stressed. He has a "Camelback" for the ride there and back.
The heat in SA has been horrid with that crappy high pressure system hanging over Texas. It's getting worse here in Corpus Christi lately. Suggestions? Recommendations?

SintonFan
07-09-2009, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Tell me if this is OK. My son has been down here in Sinton for the last month helping out, doing chores and actually dug some post holes for my dad's farm south of Beelville. He has spent 3-6 hours outside a day total. He likes to read so some time is spent there. We went bike riding this last Sunday(his first in a month) morning and his old man pushed him hard for 18 minutes on a hilly 4.1 mile bike ride at 12 noon in 93-96 degree weather. He was gassed(I wasn't lol) when we took our 5 minute break under the Bandera Rd bridge. Our time back, going mainly up hill, was about five minutes longer and he did fine. lol He was pushing me.
With that in mind let me know if this is asking too much for the kid who is going into HS football.
I want him to ride his Diamondback bike everyday to his athletic weight room to workout and come back after. The round trip is around 8 miles. The weight room is open all day and I thought it would be good for him to start earlier in the day to workout for some time and ride right back. Then ask him to ride later and later to get him more acclimated. If this is acceptable, what kind of schedule do you recommend? Two a days are around the corner. We drink alot of water at our house and hydration is always stressed. He has a "Camelback" for the ride there and back.
The heat in SA has been horrid with that crappy high pressure system hanging over Texas. It's getting worse here in Corpus Christi lately. Suggestions? Recommendations?
Is this OK? Suggestions and/or recommendations?

SintonFan
07-09-2009, 10:34 PM
I dont see any need for an actual schedule. What you're doing is fine. They'll start out slow with the fish. As long as he's not gasping for air and falling out, he'll be fine.
The schedule I drew up is pretty mean(according to my wife lol). Is that too hard and will it help him with 2 a days(the bike riding to and from voluntary weight-lifting) more than other kids?

SintonFan
07-09-2009, 10:50 PM
It'll help him more than the kids who are playing Xbox all summer or getting rides to the weightroom, yes.
The biggest thing is to NOT let him sleep when he comes home from the weight room, right?
He WILL be hydrated, I promise.:)

SintonFan
07-10-2009, 01:01 AM
No, just make sure he eats after practice during 2-a-days. Lots of kids go right to bed b/c they're so tired and they dont eat. Bad idea.
Thanks.:)