PDA

View Full Version : Sherman Names HC (Merged)

bigwood33
07-07-2009, 07:38 PM
Former 3A coach from Canton, Gary Joe Kinne, was named HC for the Sherman Bearcats.
http://www.kten.com/Global/story.asp?S=10651907&nav=menu410_4

PurpleFreddy
07-07-2009, 08:34 PM
The hiring of Gary Joe Kinne as head football coach and athletic director was approved Tuesday night by the Sherman Independent School District board of trustees.

Kinne was approved by a unanimous 7-0 vote for a one-year probationary contract.

Kinne beat out finalists Jerry Bomar of Callisburg, Sherman defensive coordinator Jason Heath, Sherman offensive coordinator Royce Slechta, and El Paso Hanks' Jeff Cleveland.

Kinne, a former assistant at Mesquite during the team's 2001 Class 5A state championship run, moved to Canton in 2004 and led the Eagles to their first playoff berth in 39 years. Like Bomar, he is the father of a successful quarterback in son G.J., who is currently the leading candidate to start this fall at Tulsa.

Class 3A Canton went 28-8 in Kinne's three seasons, including a 12-2 mark and regional-final appearance in 2005. He later moved to his alma mater Baylor to coach under Guy Morriss and led his 2008 Clovis West (Calif.) team to a 10-3 record and Central Section Division I title. He took over for Marty Martin, who was fired after only one season, a 9-4-1 record and a trip to the same game, a 3-point loss.

BobcatBenny
07-07-2009, 08:57 PM
Awe heck ... I thought this was a thread about A&M finally getting a Head Coach! Doh! :doh:

Twirling Time
07-09-2009, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Interesting hire. To say he's behind the 8 ball for this year is a GROSS understatement.

I think they will still make the playoffs. They should beat all four Frisco schools. But the best I see them doing is 6-4 and one and done in the playoffs.

bigwood33
07-09-2009, 07:59 AM
I would think that Denison is the hammer in that district. He is saying that he plans to keep the staff and only add maybe 2 coaches. That continuity should help some but with a new system comes new terminology. Sherman did not have spring ball so they have the full 3 weeks of 2-a-days to help put in his system.