PDA

View Full Version : Going to Chicago

GreenMonster
07-07-2009, 07:05 PM
Flying out to Chicago in the morning. Have Cubs tickets for Friday, a tour of Wrigley scheduled for Thursday, and may try to hit a Sox game after arrival on Wednesday. Any suggestions for things to do or see? Plan is to take it easy and hit the Magnificent Mile, Navy Pier, and the beach along Lake Michigan, but I am up for suggestion as well. Pizzaria Uno is also on the to-do-list, but I haven't really made any big meal plans. Staying at the Hard Rock Hotel downtow.

PurpleFreddy
07-07-2009, 07:27 PM
Ride the El to Michigan Avenue and just walk around in that area ... Tribune Building, Lake Michigan, etc.

bigwood33
07-07-2009, 07:42 PM
Boat tour on the Chicago River is great and Gino's East Chicago style pizza is the best. I recommend the sausage
http://featuredfoods.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/a-store/c-GinoAns_East.shtml?E+scstore+ginos:D

c-town_balla
07-07-2009, 08:00 PM
When you land buy a 3day pass for the El make life very easy and you can get to all of the places you want to go with ease.

vet93
07-07-2009, 08:09 PM
I really enjoyed the jazz and food at the House of Blues. It is not far from your hotel. Enjoyed eating at Pizzeria Uno...was very crowded...expect a pretty long wait in most cases. Wife really liked the Navy Pier and going to all of the shops on the Mag. Mile.

carter08
07-07-2009, 11:12 PM
there are HOB's everywhere.

hit up the empty bottle for some real chicago music cultures.

coachkiss
07-08-2009, 10:33 AM
Go to Pizzeria Due. Same pizza, shorter waits.

KingRob
07-08-2009, 02:23 PM
Hope you enjoy it! I just had a layover there once, but it looked like a great city from the air! I would go in heart beat. It's on my "list" of things to do before I get too old!:cool:

BwdLions
07-08-2009, 03:21 PM
I was there on a layover just two weeks ago. I liked what I saw from the air but I hated not getting to tour the city.

GreenMonster
07-09-2009, 09:43 AM
ok, I finally made it to Chicago at around 11pm last night. Had a 40 minute delay in Dallas that caused me to miss my 2pm connection to Chicago. All 4pm flights were full, but there was a 6pm with openings, so I took it. When it landed from it's prior flight it had a hydraulic leak. Took the mechanics in Kansas City forever to fix it. So I spent 8 hours sitting in the Kansas City airport because American Airlines can't get their planes in the air on time. Wasted day 1. On a brighter note, the Hard Rock Hotel gets 2 thumbs up from me for their service so far.

underware
07-09-2009, 12:07 PM
Chicago was a great place. I was there in '06 for the Madonna concert at American Airlines Arena. The Miracle Mile, Lake Mich. (the so called beach sucks), Navy Pier, and the El. It was a great experience. Didn't stay at the HR hotel but did go to the HR. Loved it!