PDA

View Full Version : Columbus new practice field

Bone Pile
07-07-2009, 10:29 AM
Has anybody seen the new practice field for Columbus? I don't think they will be able to practice on it in August. That school board has not given coach Mascheck any support and would not be suprised if the feelers don't go out soon for him. They say the kids really like him but gets no help from some "know it all school board members". Has anybody heard anything?

TRENCHES06
07-07-2009, 10:53 AM
Too bad cause Mascheck is a good guy and coach.

TexasHSFB
07-07-2009, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by TRENCHES06
Too bad cause Mascheck is a good guy and coach. Yep, never met the man personally, but he's a good coach.

rancher
07-07-2009, 04:53 PM
The school board should put the best interest of the district ahead of personal feelings. Coach Mashoek had done a hell of a job for the school district, turned that program around. He is in a tough district.

SHSBulldog00
07-09-2009, 11:28 PM
I met him this past year. He is a great person and has helped turn the Cardinal program around. No Way he should be out at Columbus.

Bone Pile
07-13-2009, 03:06 PM
Well here we go. The strength coach resigned Friday. Just a start if they don't do something about that school board. There are a couple that are really bad news and not very supportive. That athletic program needs support and it is ashame the co-operation they do not get. They have great coaches that are dedicated,great booster club,great fans and some really great athletes. I just don't understand how the Columbus people let this happen.

95mustang
07-13-2009, 04:57 PM
You would think after having 3 NFL players come from Columbus the school board would be behind the athletic program a little more. I hate to hear this is happening. I know alot of good people in Columbus and the athletes and fans deserve better from the school board.

rancher
07-13-2009, 06:20 PM
It is called apathy in the community. The school board members engaged in this behavior are not putting the community interest first. They are power hungry and have to prove how big their egos are. The citizens need to find good candiates and vote them out. You are having the same problems now next county over in Sealy, Supt. resigned, Assist. Supt. resigned, Director of Circulum resigned and High school principal quit. It is not in just one community.

Watcher
07-13-2009, 07:26 PM
Mascheck has definitely had to work hard to turn the program around. I haven't heard of anybody going against him on the board, but if there is, they need to get out and see all the long hours he spends supporting the kids and the community. He is a hell of guy and I would definitely not support anybody who is out to hurt what he has built. Hope like hell this is rumor, because this program has and continues to be on the upswing under his leadership.

XMan
07-14-2009, 09:02 AM
Looks like they will have to go out a buy a couple 50 pound sack of bermuda seed and throw em out during 2 a days like in the past. That, or they can push sleds across the infield/pitcher's mound of the baseball field like all the years before. Its great to have a nice facility and then abuse it. Columbus has about 15 acres of empty land next to the high school and does not use it as a practice field, I dont understand.

Johnnypaycheck
07-14-2009, 09:20 AM
"Practice??? Man, we talkin' 'bout practice!"

Pick6
07-14-2009, 10:29 AM
I went to a school board meeting last week where they were hiring 2 new principles, 1 for HS and 1 for MS. The 1st thing the supt asked the 2 guys was "we take sports here seriously, Where are you going to be on Friday nights?". I'm glad I took my kids out of that school last year since they put athletics ahead of academics.

Bone Pile
07-14-2009, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
I went to a school board meeting last week where they were hiring 2 new principles, 1 for HS and 1 for MS. The 1st thing the supt asked the 2 guys was "we take sports here seriously, Where are you going to be on Friday nights?". I'm glad I took my kids out of that school last year since they put athletics ahead of academics.

Well pick 6,apparently you did not go to the all sports banquet last year and see how many academic all star athletes Columbus has. Academic all district and academic all state. Academic all state means nothing below a 92 average all four years in high school. In fact there is a very strict no pass no play policy. When they start to struggle just a little,they are sent to tutoring and make sure the grades are up. In fact there has not been an athlete miss a game because of grades in the last 2-3 years.. So as far as putting atheltics ahead of grades,buddy you are mistaken. If you have not paid attention,athletics build character and lets kids know what team work is. Just like band,performing arts and the debate team. Why are you not bashing them? get a life and quit whinning.

44INAROW
07-14-2009, 02:11 PM
no trying to start anything - but what in the world does asking where an administrator is going to be on Friday night (assuming to be "on duty" for football and volleyball games) have to do with dissing academics? I miss the connection:confused:

Pick6
07-14-2009, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Bone Pile
Well pick 6,apparently you did not go to the all sports banquet last year and see how many academic all star athletes Columbus has. Academic all district and academic all state. Academic all state means nothing below a 92 average all four years in high school. In fact there is a very strict no pass no play policy. When they start to struggle just a little,they are sent to tutoring and make sure the grades are up. In fact there has not been an athlete miss a game because of grades in the last 2-3 years.. So as far as putting atheltics ahead of grades,buddy you are mistaken. If you have not paid attention,athletics build character and lets kids know what team work is. Just like band,performing arts and the debate team. Why are you not bashing them? get a life and quit whinning.

Why would I bash Band, performing arts or the debate team when this thread is about football?

I'd still not let my kids attend any school that put athletics first.

Pick6
07-14-2009, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
no trying to start anything - but what in the world does asking where an administrator is going to be on Friday night (assuming to be "on duty" for football and volleyball games) have to do with dissing academics? I miss the connection:confused:

My thinking is I would of asked what are you plans to help better educate our kids. Sports would of been down the line aways.

Bone Pile
07-14-2009, 02:25 PM
Why would I bash Band, performing arts or the debate team when this thread is about football?

I'd still not let my kids attend any school that put athletics first.

Well I guess that went by too fast to catch it. The point was we have other departments that teach team play and also has meaning. Why would you bash athletics at all??? There is a lot of emphasis put toward TEAM PLAY. Pay attention,it makes a difference.
If you are so apposed to athletics,why are you on 3a down low. You will not win your feable argument here. Get a life!!!!!

Pick6
07-14-2009, 02:29 PM
Well I guess that went by too fast to catch it. The point was we have other departments that teach team play and also has meaning. Why would you bash athletics at all??? There is a lot of emphasis put toward TEAM PLAY. Pay attention,it makes a difference.
If you are so apposed to athletics,why are you on 3a down low. You will not win your feable argument here. Get a life!!!!!

Where was I bashing sports? I enjoy sports just as much as the next person. I just realize that more than the majority of kids playing sports aren't going to make a career out of it or are going to college for sports and they better have a good academic background to get ahead in life.

It sounds like you are the one that needs a life if you thing sports is the end all be all.

BuckeyeNut
07-14-2009, 02:53 PM
what was the thread about?????:confused:

Bone Pile
07-14-2009, 02:57 PM
Where was I bashing sports? I enjoy sports just as much as the next person. I just realize that more than the majority of kids playing sports aren't going to make a career out of it or are going to college for sports and they better have a good academic background to get ahead in life.

It sounds like you are the one that needs a life if you thing sports is the end all be all.
Look at your first post. I am glad I took my kids out of that school if they put athletics ahead od academics. That is a bash p6. To have an understanding of sports in school you need to talk to someone besides me that can explain it in your language. I happen to know very well that only a very small % of the athletes tday have a chance to make it playing pro sports. Remember the character building and team play aspect we were talking about that included band,performing arts,debate team along with athletics.
Some people are not sports oriented and some are. Don't bash the ones that are.

Pick6
07-14-2009, 03:15 PM
Look at your first post. I am glad I took my kids out of that school if they put athletics ahead od academics. That is a bash p6.

So you're saying that since I prefer a school that stressed academics over sports, I'm bashing sports. I don't think so. An education will get a student farther than a good football team will. But I can see someone who thinks the world revolves around sports would think differently.

Bone Pile
07-14-2009, 03:33 PM
So you're saying that since I prefer a school that stressed academics over sports, I'm bashing sports. I don't think so. An education will get a student farther than a good football team will. But I can see someone who thinks the world revolves around sports would think differently.
Finally you and I agree on one thing. An education will get you further than being an athlete. In NO way doe CHS put athletics over academics. That I can promise you. But you have implied that since the start. Read your previous post and you can see what I mean. If you have any doubts,at random stop ask any teacher,any coach or any administrator and they will tell you the same thing.
I can see if you are not that interested in sports where you derive at some of your assumptions.
The paper is constantly printing articles about academic excellence in CHS. Enough said.

pirate4state
07-14-2009, 03:49 PM
:confused: :confused:

#1 - I don't think pick6 is even talking about Columbus HS, but I could be wrong.
#2 - Has anyone seen the practice fields?

Pick6
07-14-2009, 04:00 PM
Finally you and I agree on one thing. An education will get you further than being an athlete. In NO way doe CHS put athletics over academics. That I can promise you. But you have implied that since the start. Read your previous post and you can see what I mean. If you have any doubts,at random stop ask any teacher,any coach or any administrator and they will tell you the same thing.
I can see if you are not that interested in sports where you derive at some of your assumptions.
The paper is constantly printing articles about academic excellence in CHS. Enough said.

Please show me where I said anything about CHS. I am just as interested in sports as you are. I attend football games each week. I also attend basketball and volleyball games and drive my wife nuts by watching something on TV every night. I just believe academics are more important. I'd much rather my kid be a State Champion in UIL over something else. But that's just me.

HEMOTOXIC
07-14-2009, 04:08 PM
Pick6, what exactly or how does Columbus put sports before academics? I was a student athlete, and when I was in school, you knew who the student athletes were. It was the same for the students who were in band (as I was a band student too), drill team members, chearleaders, etc. Those students tend to have little more discipline than others. I am just curious in knowing what a fine school district like Columbus did to make you pull your children out and place them in another school district. And, before you answer that, Im not here to start a fight, I just want to know.

Pick6
07-14-2009, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by HEMOTOXIC
I am just curious in knowing what a fine school district like Columbus did to make you pull your children out and place them in another school district.

I'm just curious where I mentioned Columbus at all. I said I was at a school board meeting a couple of weeks ago, never said what school it was.

pirate4state
07-14-2009, 04:14 PM
I'm just curious where I mentioned Columbus at all. I said I was at a school board meeting a couple of weeks ago, never said what school it was. You didn't, but in fairness, this thread IS about Columbus HS. I know we hijack threads all the time, but this one has stayed true to the school in question, 'til you came in making all sorts of racket! :p

Pick6
07-14-2009, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
you came in making all sorts of racket! :p

I like racket :D

Bone Pile
07-14-2009, 04:21 PM
I'm just curious where I mentioned Columbus at all. I said I was at a school board meeting a couple of weeks ago, never said what school it was.
No wonder you are stressing academics. Parents always want better for their children than what they had. Seems to me if would have read the post about Columbus new practice fields you would have got the message. Get out of the sun,drink lots of fluids and stay away from the sugars.

HEMOTOXIC
07-14-2009, 06:08 PM

Sorry Pick6, since this thread was about Columbus, I just assumed you were speaking of Columbus ISD. My baddddd!:D