PDA

View Full Version : Horseshoes

Ranger Mom
07-05-2009, 07:18 PM
Is that game mainly a "guy" thing???

My husband set up a "pit" in April during my granddaughter's birthday party.

The guys are out there EVERY DAY playing!!!

I've played a few games with my husband a time or two...I just don't really get the appeal of it.

I have just spent the past 30 minutes researching the "rules" due to some differing opinions on scoring.

TexasHSFB
07-05-2009, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

I've played a few games with my husband a time or two...I just don't really get the appeal of it.

I have just spent the past 30 minutes researching the "rules" due to some differing opinions on scoring. I don't care for it, mainly cuz I never played enough to be good or learn the rules. I'd rather play cards or dominoes.

Ranger Mom
07-05-2009, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by TexasHSFB
I don't care for it, mainly cuz I never played enough to be good or learn the rules. I'd rather play cards or dominoes.

You seem like you would be one of those "in-doorsy" kinds of people!!

Emerson1
07-05-2009, 07:24 PM
I like Washers better. It's more exciting

TexasHSFB
07-05-2009, 07:24 PM
You seem like you would be one of those "in-doorsy" kinds of people!! Well, I enjoy lots of other outdoors games, but I just never really played horseshoes.

I like actual sports. Horseshoes seems pointless.

I meant as far as like guy got togethers and bbq's and such.. I'd rather play cards.

TexasHSFB
07-05-2009, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I like Washers better. It's more exciting Me too, but I also think it's harder.

Ranger Mom
07-05-2009, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I like Washers better. It's more exciting

Hubby likes that one too!

I guess I need to study those rules too....that is a game I have never played to have to understand!

Trashman
07-05-2009, 07:28 PM
I like horse shoes, but don't play much becasue the people (relatives) that I play with have made up their own rules....:rolleyes:

Antec
07-05-2009, 07:31 PM
They have a horseshoe club at Riverside Hall in East Bernard

They have a lot of ring pits and have a lot of tournaments there

Its also big at Wharton County Youth Fair and winners advance to Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo

It's pretty popular down here especially with kids

Ranger Mom
07-05-2009, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Trashman
I like horse shoes, but don't play much becasue the people (relatives) that I play with have made up their own rules....:rolleyes:

LOL!! That was what we ran into last night, we were at someone else's house so he had to play by THEIR rules....which got him wondering what the actual REAL rules are.

After doing some research, I am still confused as to what the official rules are.

You can go to several official sites and they may have something different than the next official site.

Maybe that's why so many people play by their own rules....it looks like pretty much anything goes!!

Trashman
07-05-2009, 07:37 PM
LOL!! That was what we ran into last night, we were at someone else's house so he had to play by THEIR rules....which got him wondering what the actual REAL rules are.

After doing some research, I am still confused as to what the official rules are.

You can go to several official sites and they may have something different than the next official site.

Maybe that's why so many people play by their own rules....it looks like pretty much anything goes!!

I bought my own set a few years ago and made the mistake of reading the actual rules that came with the set. Silly me.....:rolleyes:

Ranger Mom
07-05-2009, 07:38 PM
I bought my own set a few years ago and made the mistake of reading the actual rules that came with the set. Silly me.....:rolleyes:

So let me ask you this then......on a "leaner", do you count that as one point or two??

Looking4number8
07-05-2009, 07:52 PM
When I was was growing up closet shoes counted as one point, leaners counted as three points and a ringer counted as five points. We also played 21 or bust. Also never had a kit, just stuck some metal poles in the ground and painted some actual horse shoes.

Trashman
07-05-2009, 07:56 PM
So let me ask you this then......on a "leaner", do you count that as one point or two??

A leaner counts as 1 point by the rules, but everyone that I know counts it as two and a ringer counts as three.:D

goosealaniz
07-05-2009, 08:23 PM
when we play... we count a ringer as 5... a leaner as 3... and a horseshoes length as 1

Trashman
07-05-2009, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by goosealaniz
when we play... we count a ringer as 5... a leaner as 3... and a horseshoes length as 1

Since you count ringers as 5 points then you also play to 21 as well?:thinking:

goosealaniz
07-05-2009, 09:05 PM
Since you count ringers as 5 points then you also play to 21 as well?:thinking:

yup... ive seen a game end in 5 throws

Trashman
07-05-2009, 10:03 PM
yup... ive seen a game end in 5 throws

I have played with people that use the 1-2-3 scoring that play only till 11.:thinking:

gobbler grad
07-06-2009, 12:53 PM

same here...:thinking: luv throwing some shoes...:thumbsup:

waterboy
07-06-2009, 01:02 PM
That's the way we always played, too. We know what the rules say, but that's one advantage of having your own pits.....you make your own rules! And, yes, we do play to 21.

JasperDog94
07-06-2009, 06:58 PM
I just don't really get the appeal of it.

RM, the excitement comes in when the players have been drinking since 2:00 in the afternoon and it's now 11:00 pm. You never know when a horseshoe will go flying around somebody's ankle. It really keeps you on your toes.:D

GreenGobbla
07-06-2009, 09:40 PM

same way i keep score when i play

Electus Unus
07-06-2009, 09:40 PM
5 for ringers
3 for leaners
1 for horse shoe length

/thread

solocam
07-06-2009, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Electus Unus
5 for ringers
3 for leaners
1 for horse shoe length

/thread
National horshoe pitching association tournament rule
3 for a ringer,leaner or closest to the pole 1 point

solocam
07-06-2009, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Antec
They have a horseshoe club at Riverside Hall in East Bernard

They have a lot of ring pits and have a lot of tournaments there

Its also big at Wharton County Youth Fair and winners advance to Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo

It's pretty popular down here especially with kids I belong to the Liberty Hill horseshoe pitching club and have pitched in East Bernard,They put on a good tourney

Electus Unus
07-06-2009, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by solocam
National horshoe pitching association tournament rule
3 for a ringer,leaner or closest to the pole 1 point White trash horseshoe Rules > National Horseshoe Pitching Association

solocam
07-06-2009, 09:49 PM

I have just spent the past 30 minutes researching the "rules" due to some differing opinions on scoring.
Women and kids play in sanctioned tournements throwing fron 30 ft
Men throw from 40
Games consist of 40 shoes thrown by each player per game at the end of 40 shoes whoever has the most points wins that game

Ex-Tiger2005
07-07-2009, 10:09 AM

It is mainly a beer drinking game! Horseshoes and washers...I can play these games all night and get completely hammered!