PDA

View Full Version : Hey Gen-Xers...is Johnny Depp the greatest actor from our generation???

Sweetwater Red
07-04-2009, 12:27 AM
I just got through watching Blow with Depp and
Penelope Cruz. Given his work I would definitely
say yes.

SintonFan
07-04-2009, 12:32 AM
He's good but a flake.
I don't think so...
but hey that's my opinion. I am a GenXer.:D

GreenMonster
07-04-2009, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
say yes. See, I think this all depends on personal taste. Personally, I prefer Tom Hanks over Johnny Depp. Mainly because I don't care for Depp's movies. I think Depp leans toward some really weird roles, whereas Hanks really does the everyman extremely well. I personally don't care for the over the top charachters and would rather watch something more along what I view to be reality.

Sweetwater Red
07-04-2009, 12:50 AM
I understand what you are saying GM. But Hanks
always seems to pick the "safe bet" roles. Like
Philadelphia, Forrest Gump and Cast Away. But
Depp takes risks and never worried about making
a blockbuster fiilm...well until Pirates of the Carribean.
I just think he has more range than Hanks.

TexasHSFB
07-04-2009, 01:14 AM
I think the best actor in the last 10 years or so is Will Smith. JMO.

Emerson1
07-04-2009, 04:22 AM
I could vote for that. He was great in all the pirate movies. He can play any type of roll and make it believable. Very good in Public Enemies

turbostud
07-04-2009, 04:24 AM
Brad Pitt...in Snatch. Great movie, Johnny Depp could never pull that one off.

turbostud
07-04-2009, 04:44 AM
Snatch trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8jbt0wBkMI)
This is the clean version.

Txbroadcaster
07-04-2009, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
He's good but a flake.
I don't think so...
but hey that's my opinion. I am a GenXer.:D

Why is he a flake? and what does that have to do with his acting? Marlon Brando was as flaky as you can be but is one of the greatest actors.

I love both Hanks and Depp, mainly because of their differences. IMO Depp has more range, but not by a big margin or anything, I just think that Depp can play the leading man role, the eccentric role AND the bad guy role. I dont see Hanks able to do all 3.

As far as Brad Pitt and Snatch, love his role in it, and love the movie, but I think anyone who can do a cockney accent could play the role. the only thing really amazing about his performance was the accent itself.

coach
07-04-2009, 12:04 PM
I understand what you are saying GM. But Hanks
always seems to pick the "safe bet" roles. Like
Philadelphia, Forrest Gump and Cast Away. But
Depp takes risks and never worried about making
a blockbuster fiilm...well until Pirates of the Carribean.
I just think he has more range than Hanks.

how is forest gump a safe bet.....a brilliant man had to play a moron

TheDOCTORdre
07-04-2009, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by turbostud
Brad Pitt...in Snatch. Great movie, Johnny Depp could never pull that one off.

snatch is probably one o the greatest movies i have ever seen. I LOVE SNATCH

piratebg
07-04-2009, 12:22 PM
Snatch is good.

I love Snatch.

I still remember the first time I saw Snatch.

What a good night that was.

SintonFan
07-04-2009, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Why is he a flake? and what does that have to do with his acting? Marlon Brando was as flaky as you can be but is one of the greatest actors.

It has nothing to do with his acting. He's been quoted alot and some of those are pretty flaky, here's an example: "If someone were to harm my family or a friend or somebody I love, I would eat them. I might end up in jail for 500 years, but I would eat them."
I do think he should be considered among the best of his generation but there are many good actors out there.
Russell Crowe, Leonardo DiCaprio, Robert Downey Jr. and Chrstian Bale(although he might be a little young for this topic).

injuredinmelee
07-04-2009, 01:46 PM
best of the generation? I dont think so. I think he needs to was his greasy looking hair.

PPHSfan
07-04-2009, 10:14 PM
I'm not a Gen Xer, but I think JD is a tremendous talent.

PPHSfan
07-04-2009, 10:14 PM
He was amazing in Benny and Joon

WOS87
07-04-2009, 10:42 PM
Well for one, Tom Hanks shouldn't even be in this conversation as he is a Baby Boomer (born in 1956), NOT Gen X.

The Gen X generation are those who were born from approximately 1961-1981.

I'd pick Heath Ledger over Johnny Depp any day although Heath is on the cusp of Gen X and Gen Y (born in 1979).

Emerson1
07-05-2009, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by WOS87
Well for one, Tom Hanks shouldn't even be in this conversation as he is a Baby Boomer (born in 1956), NOT Gen X.

The Gen X generation are those who were born from approximately 1961-1981.

I'd pick Heath Ledger over Johnny Depp any day although Heath is on the cusp of Gen X and Gen Y (born in 1979).
Minus the Joker, Ledger had no other standout performances.

Depp has played the out of the box role 3 times as Captain Jack Sparrow in which he should get A LOT more credit for.

DDBooger
07-05-2009, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
He was amazing in Benny and Joon +1
What's eating Gilbert Grape as well!

Arnie (DiCaprio) another great job LOL

Emerson1
07-05-2009, 12:42 AM
Speaking of Depp

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/10009526-public_enemies/news/1830230/total_recall_johnny_depps_best_movies

DDBooger
07-05-2009, 12:49 AM
John Malkovich (sp) awesome, but he's not a gen x'er

SWMustang
07-05-2009, 08:27 AM
say yes.

I refuse to consider myself a Gen X'er as I don't have any tattoo's.

Electus Unus
07-05-2009, 11:24 PM
Denzel or Will Smith?

DDBooger
07-05-2009, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Electus Unus
Denzel

+1

Emerson1
07-05-2009, 11:47 PM
I love every Denzel movie, but he is not that great of an actor. He has no range and 99% of his roles are almost the exact same and he doesn't have to change his style at all.

Will Smith on the other hand plays all sorts of roles.

Neither of them are on Depp's level of character range though.

Electus Unus
07-05-2009, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1

Neither of them are on Depp's level of character range though. Because they're not off the wall or weird characters?

Emerson1
07-06-2009, 12:02 AM
Because they're not off the wall or weird characters?
Yes. Denzel has mastered one specific kind of character. Coach Boone could be one of Frank Lucas' brothers before they came into the business. Only difference between the two is Boone makes people who mess up to up downs and Lucas just shots them in the face.

DDBooger
07-06-2009, 12:04 AM
Phillip Seymor Hoffman

"LET IT RAIN!"

Electus Unus
07-06-2009, 12:04 AM
Yes. Denzel has mastered one specific kind of character. Coach Boone could be one of Frank Lucas' brothers before they came into the business. Only difference between the two is Boone makes people who mess up to up downs and Lucas just shots them in the face. You're trying to hard to stretch that into your point of view.

SintonFan
07-06-2009, 12:24 AM
Denzel or Will Smith?
Will Smith is my favorite actor. The genesis from a young clean 80's rap artist to Fresh Prince was almost as good the transition to the big screen. I grew up with him.:)

Electus Unus
07-06-2009, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Will Smith is my favorite actor. The genesis from a young clean 80's rap artist to Fresh Prince was almost as good the transition to the big screen. I grew up with him.:) The entire transition is amazing IMO.

WOS87
07-06-2009, 12:36 AM
Minus the Joker, Ledger had no other standout performances.

Depp has played the out of the box role 3 times as Captain Jack Sparrow in which he should get A LOT more credit for.

I beg to differ.... Ledger was highly acclaimed for his roles in Two Hands, Ned Kelly, Brokeback Mountain, and I'm Not There ALL prior to his role in Dark Knight

Electus Unus
07-06-2009, 12:41 AM
Ledger was not that good. He played a homo, which caused controversy, that got him acclaimed. His role in the joker was acclaimed only because he died.

Txbroadcaster
07-06-2009, 12:47 AM
. His role in the joker was acclaimed only because he died.

I disagree 1000%..their was already a rumble about how amazing his joker role was from the dailies and such while filming. I dont know if he wins the Oscar if he had lived but IMO he would have been nominated with a doubt. His take on the role was amazing

SintonFan
07-06-2009, 01:01 AM
Ledger was not that good. He played a homo, which caused controversy, that got him acclaimed.
lol
Do you know that Will Smith played a controversial role as a homo in the 90's; and that role is what is widely considered the one that showed he could act?
I don't agree with the lifestyle but it helped both those guys.

SintonFan
07-06-2009, 01:04 AM
I heard the hype before I saw the movie. Heath Ledger was very good at that role as the Joker.
Is he a GenXer though?

WOS87
07-06-2009, 01:56 AM
Ledger was not that good. He played a homo, which caused controversy, that got him acclaimed. His role in the joker was acclaimed only because he died.

"He played a homo"?? Gimme a break.... How was that any more controversial than Johnny Depp playing a transvestite in Ed Wood?!

I. B. Watching
07-06-2009, 06:44 AM
I don't know if he is or isn't, but his black and white movie Deadman is awesome

Farmersfan
07-06-2009, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by DDBooger
Phillip Seymor Hoffman

"LET IT RAIN!"

+1

Also Boogie nights, Cold Mountain and Doubt. A really good actor.

Emerson1
07-06-2009, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I disagree 1000%..their was already a rumble about how amazing his joker role was from the dailies and such while filming. I dont know if he wins the Oscar if he had lived but IMO he would have been nominated with a doubt. His take on the role was amazing
I think he got extra accreditation because he died. It was one of the best performances in recent memory, but if Depp had died right after Pirates 1 he would have won all kinds of awards too

DDBooger
07-06-2009, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
+1

Also Boogie nights, Cold Mountain and Doubt. A really good actor. Do you think his character was guilty or innocent in Doubt? I thought he was guilty. GREAT movie.

Farmersfan
07-06-2009, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by DDBooger
Do you think his character was guilty or innocent in Doubt? I thought he was guilty. GREAT movie.

I also thought he was guilty!

I can't think of a single role he ever played that wasn't a great job. Mission Impossible, The talented Mr Ripley and Copote were great shows by him also. I think we have just begun to see him in the starring role.

pirate4state
07-06-2009, 10:04 AM
I think he got extra accreditation because he died. It was one of the best performances in recent memory, but if Depp had died right after Pirates 1 he would have won all kinds of awards too HAHA

I agree that Depp is an amazing talent and I can get on board with him being the greatest of our generation. Just look at his body of work: Edward Scissorhands, Benny & Joon, What's Eating Gilbert Grape, Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas, Chocolat, Finding Neverland and of course, Pirates, just to name a very few. SintonFan we are judging this based on his acting, not how flaky he is in his real life. :rolleyes:

I love Tom Hanks, but he shouldn't even be in this discussion. He is NOT a gen-Xer.

I will wholeheartedly agree with Phillip Seymour Hoffman....WOW...is all I can say for the various roles he has tackled. From goofy in Twister to brilliantly creepy in Happiness. His range is unbelievable! :clap: :clap:

Will Smith with his roles in Ali, The Pursuit of Happyness, I am Legend, & Seven Pounds proved that he isn't just a blow 'em up, big office weekend type of guy.

I wouldn't consider Heath "greatest of all time" but he was a good actor with decent range.

This is all just MY opinion. :)

waterboy
07-06-2009, 01:33 PM
I guess I'm a Generation Xer.......:( I thought I was a Baby-boomer......:weeping: I admire talent in actors and actresses, but they are a WEIRD sort of people!:doh:

Farmersfan
07-06-2009, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
I guess I'm a Generation Xer.......:( I thought I was a Baby-boomer......:weeping: I admire talent in actors and actresses, but they are a WEIRD sort of people!:doh:

I was talking to some Actor friends of mine and they said Forum posters were a WEIRD sort of people!!!!! Can you imagine the nerve of those people????

waterboy
07-06-2009, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
I was talking to some Actor friends of mine and they said Forum posters were a WEIRD sort of people!!!!! Can you imagine the nerve of those people????
:eek: Noooooo! You don't say!!!:eek: Of all the nerve!!:mad:

....Wait a minute.........I resemble that remark! :D

carter08
07-06-2009, 02:22 PM
blow = greatest movie.

PPHSfan
07-06-2009, 06:11 PM
Denzel is a Baby Boomer. 1951 to 1964 are Boomers.

waterboy
07-07-2009, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
Denzel is a Baby Boomer. 1951 to 1964 are Boomers.
Yay! I'm a boomer again!http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-happy036.gif

SintonFan
07-07-2009, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
HAHA
SintonFan we are judging this based on his acting, not how flaky he is in his real life. :rolleyes:
This is all just MY opinion. :)
I threw that out there because he really is the "Tony the Tiger" when it comes to a sea full of flakes.:nerd:

BuffyMars
yes.

SintonFan
Originally posted by waterboy
Yay! I'm a boomer again!http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-happy036.gif
You almost found the fountain of youth.:D