07-01-2009, 02:00 PM
Any suggestions?

pirate4state
07-01-2009, 02:07 PM
DirecTv = NFL Ticket :inlove:

Sweetwater Red
07-01-2009, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Dad has Direc, I have Dish. I wouldn't switch with him for anything!

I have had both and definitely prefer Dish.

Electus Unus
07-01-2009, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
DirecTv = NFL Ticket :inlove: NFL games are boring. Whichever one has the better college football channels.

Sweetwater Red
07-01-2009, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
DirecTv = NFL Ticket :inlove:

Alot of good that does a Detroit Lion fan.:rolleyes: :(

I bought two seasons because I thought maybe this is the year
they return to respectability. Man was I dumb.:doh:

lostaussie
07-01-2009, 02:18 PM
i have dish...........will never pay direct another penny. the only advantage direct has is the sunday ticket. but after i got all my local channels even that did not matter any more. direct tv customer service sucks. only person you can get to pick up a phone is when they say "if you are calling to make a payment press 4"..............that guy picks right on up!!!!!!

pirate4state
07-01-2009, 02:20 PM
Jesus what kind of freaking problems do all you people have that you keep having to call customer service?

I better knock on wood. I hardly ever have to call customer service. {knock, knock}

PurpleFreddy
07-01-2009, 02:39 PM
well, we just switched to AT&T U-Verse this week ... so far, I'm lovin' it ... got a few more channels ... the only thing I don't have that I did have with DISH is the CBS CollegeSports channel, but I have all of the FSNs from around the country.
Even better, we can record on all three TVs, so no more traffic jams on the DVR. I'll let you know more as we get used to it. It just became available in our neighborhood.

waterboy
07-01-2009, 02:43 PM
I say get CABLE!:D Rarely any problems with cable at my house, plus I get the replays of the Buckeye games to record, all Dallas Cowboys games (even the one game a year that is on the NFL Network), all televised Ranger games and Maverick games, local channels, Dallas channels, Shreveport channels, all digital (HD available), high-speed internet, and I can call a LOCAL person for service. If I move some place that doesn't have cable available, I would most likely opt for DirecTV, mainly because I can fix any problem with it myself. I used to install DirecTV, BTW, and Dish Network is a whole other animal.:D All I need is a Bird-Dog (signal meter) and I can fix any problem with reception. The only time I'd ever have to call is if I need a replacement receiver or LSB on the dish. :thumbsup:

Ex-Tiger2005
07-01-2009, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
I say get CABLE!:D Rarely any problems with cable at my house, plus I get the replays of the Buckeye games to record, all Dallas Cowboys games (even the one game a year that is on the NFL Network), all televised Ranger games and Maverick games, local channels, Dallas channels, Shreveport channels, all digital (HD available), high-speed internet, and I can call a LOCAL person for service. If I move some place that doesn't have cable available, I would most likely opt for DirecTV, mainly because I can fix any problem with it myself. I used to install DirecTV, BTW, and Dish Network is a whole other animal.:D All I need is a Bird-Dog (signal meter) and I can fix any problem with reception. The only time I'd ever have to call is if I need a replacement receiver or LSB on the dish. :thumbsup:

thats one thing i miss is all the localish teams!

Buckeye1980
07-01-2009, 03:08 PM
One thing I am getting is the difference in DVRs, that recording in one room in DISH affects a nother room that does not even have a reciever, but DIRECTV has recievers in all rooms....right?

And cable is not an option where I live ....and I would pay Gilmer Cable another dime anyway, I have heard good things from ETEX cable tv but it stops about 1500 feet from my house

pirate4state
07-01-2009, 03:13 PM

hahaha your use of "I can call a LOCAL person for service" reminded me of a tv show I used to watch on BBC The League of Gentlemen. Anyone watch this show? Hilarious!

"this is a Local Shop for Local People"

hahaha carry on :D

TexasHSFB
07-01-2009, 03:52 PM
We've had dish and Directv. We DEFINITELY prefer dish. :)

Trashman
07-01-2009, 03:56 PM
I have had both, dish and direct and i will never go back to direct.:D

waterboy
07-01-2009, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye1980
One thing I am getting is the difference in DVRs, that recording in one room in DISH affects a nother room that does not even have a reciever, but DIRECTV has recievers in all rooms....right?

And cable is not an option where I live ....and I would pay Gilmer Cable another dime anyway, I have heard good things from ETEX cable tv but it stops about 1500 feet from my house
In that case, I can't help you. :p I've never had DirecTV or Dish so I can't tell you what kind of service they provide. I can tell you that DirecTV is simpler to use, and is easier to fix when you do have problems. They also have more HD channels available, and always will in the foreseeable future. They link up to at least 3 satellites, where Dish only has 2......at last count, making more channels available. Like I said, I can't tell you much about Dish. It's best that if you go with either get to know the installer personally. You can always get him to fix it more quickly on the side without having to go through the service department. Of course, it'll cost you a little money, but the service would be worth it, in my opinion.

SintonFan_inAustin
07-01-2009, 04:16 PM
I say get CABLE!:D Rarely any problems with cable at my house, plus I get the replays of the Buckeye games to record, all Dallas Cowboys games (even the one game a year that is on the NFL Network), all televised Ranger games and Maverick games, local channels, Dallas channels, Shreveport channels, all digital (HD available), high-speed internet, and I can call a LOCAL person for service. If I move some place that doesn't have cable available, I would most likely opt for DirecTV, mainly because I can fix any problem with it myself. I used to install DirecTV, BTW, and Dish Network is a whole other animal.:D All I need is a Bird-Dog (signal meter) and I can fix any problem with reception. The only time I'd ever have to call is if I need a replacement receiver or LSB on the dish. :thumbsup: I have Time Warner and Dish Network and better picture is from Dish Network but i have never lost a signal to TW when it rains will bad. Now if i lose power their both out!

waterboy
07-01-2009, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
I have Time Warner and Dish Network and better picture is from Dish Network but i have never lost a signal to TW when it rains will bad. Now if i lose power their both out!
Naturally, you will get better reception with satellite than cable......there is a whole lot less cable to go through which makes the signal much cleaner. The one BIG advantage with cable is it doesn't usually go out when there's a heavy rain.......unless there's lightning involved, although it has been known to go out for no apparent reason from time to time. :doh: Satellite is getting better about not going out when it is cloudy and/or raining, though. When the electricity is out, you're screwed either way.:mad: :D ..........unless you have a generator.:thumbsup:

sotex
07-01-2009, 04:26 PM
I too have had both Direc and Dish Network and also prefer Dish. I get the NFL Network at no extra charge. I get all of the local channels and I now have two dual DVRs so I can watch or record 4 different programs at once.:D

I. B. Watching
07-01-2009, 04:34 PM
I always forget which one I have. I just looked, it's Dish. It's fine by us. We don't watch that much TV. As long as I get all the ESPNs and the Fox sports and my wife gets Lifetime and Lifetime Movie Channel, things are pretty peaceful at our house.

sinfan75
07-01-2009, 08:39 PM
Ain't ever had Dish but had cable then went to directv and have had it for a few years now and have no problems with it ever. When the weather's bad you lose for a little bit but comes back on in a few minutes. other than that no problems and if I did I drink beer with a guy who installs Directv so I don't worry about 1-800 numbers. Besides they have a web site where you can order whatever equipment you need that craters so why call them anyway.

garciap77
07-01-2009, 08:54 PM

Who are the Buckeyes?:rolleyes:

;)

Good Morning!:D

PHS Wildcats
07-01-2009, 08:59 PM
I haven't had one problem with Directv. Customer Service for me has been great.!:confused:

SintonFan
07-01-2009, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye1980
Any suggestions?
I've had everything. Cable sucks because their DVRs/receivers suck but Dish used to have problems with theirs, too. Dish receivers used to be made in USA a few years ago and were crap. I heard they resolved their "black screen of death" issues. Time Warner is getting their a$$es handed to them because they tend to be the most expensive product out there and their receivers still suck. U-verse is very attractive because of the money savings for a three-in-one product but we didn't have the ability to record from more than one TV until this last week. Free games, accessing your record list online and posting online pictures on your TV is cool but many U-verse users have a "bandwith" problem that locks up or pauses their programming if the installer neglects to ramp up their bandwith at the local phone "switch-box". The free option to wirelessly connect up to four computers on a router is a plus, too. The inability to pause live TV from all TVs is a minus.
I love the intuitiveness of Direct TV and how they can fairly predict what you will like just based on a simple "thumbs up or thumbs down" from you rating shows. It is the best in the industry. It should be... they have been doing that for longer than their competitors. They are cheaper than Time-Warner and are much better at what they do best, namely having good reliable DVRs.
Dish is the cheapest of all and they have improved their product alot. The 30 second "forward" button and 7-8 second "back" button is cool and easily mastered. I loved that option when my receiver was working properly. If they have worked out the bugs from their 2-4 room systems I would give them an edge because of the price alone.
Has anyone noticed how Time-Warner isn't advertising "Free HD" anymore? It's because it never was free to began with. They had the highest rates to from the start.:nerd:

Diocletian
07-02-2009, 12:42 AM
I have been using Directv for a long time now, they are wonderful.

The HD is clear and upscaled to fit the screen properly.

The movie channels are great. I can even order Payperview movies in 1080p.

The directv receiver is good too. You can add an external HD to it and record way more than the standard 100+ hours of movies/tv shows.

As for customer service, Directv will give you almost anything, if you call them and ask for it. I just received HBO free for 6 months, because of a compliant I had with being billed an extra $5 for 2 1/2 months.

The only complaint I ever had from using Dish a very long time ago is that they are small time compared to what Directv has to offer.

piratebg
07-02-2009, 01:02 AM
I have had no problems with Dish or Direct TV. I'm the kind of person that bounces between them both every two years after my contract expires just to see who will give me the better deal. My only complaint with Dish is the one DVR box for two rooms. Occassionally there was a problem with it but nothing that like severely pissed me off. Also, I seem to lose my Dish signal a few more times then I lost my DTV signal, but that still didn't compare to how many times I lost my Charter Cable signal. Both customer services are good. Both carry NFL Network at no extra cost, but Dish gave me ESPNU and I have to pick up a sports pack to get it on DTV. I switched back to DTV last August because they gave me the NFL ticket free and a free years worth of Showtime, plus 2 HD/DVR boxes at no charge. In the end, it all depends what you want. I do think Dish is maybe $5-$10 cheaper, depending on your programming. Right now I am a DTV customer. We'll see if that holds through next August. :D