PDA

View Full Version : Hey Ranger Mom!!!

ronwx5x
06-30-2009, 07:48 PM
This article appeared in the Ozona Stockman weekly newspaper. Why in the world would Steve Taylor even apply? Guilty conscience?

Rocksprings Robert Hernandez hired as Athletic Director
by Melissa Perner
the ozona stockman

A new face will be leading the Lions this fall.
Robert Hernandez, formerly of Rocksprings, was hired last week as the new Athletic Director and head football coach of Crockett County CCSD.
During a special meeting on June 24, the board unanimously approved Hernandez who comes to Ozona off of a 7-2 season, 4-2 in district, with the Angoras.
“Robert is the cream of the crop. He has outstanding credentials, good coaching experience and is an excellent role model and family member,” said Superintendent Chris duBois.
Hernandez has been a head coach at Rocksprings for 10 years. Rocksprings has faced Ozona in non-district games and scrimmages. The new coach started June 26.
“This is a new challenge. I am excited,” Hernandez said.
In the past nine years, Hernandez has led Rocksprings to the playoffs. Hernandez said the furthest he has advanced at Rocksprings was the Class 1A regional quarterfinal round.
Hernandez coached in Sterling City prior to Rocksprings. He is also a native of Sterling City.
“I’ve lived in the area. Ozona has a great tradition and a great program,” Hernandez said. “We are in the business of helping kids, and finding a way to help our young ladies and young men be successful in the field of competition.”
Hernandez replaces Matt Gutierrez, who resigned coaching and athletic director duties May 28 and stayed as dean of students at OHS.
Hernandez's total compensation is $70,000, duBois said.
Hernandez also applied earlier in the year for the head coaching position at Sonora. Sonora hired Flatonia's David Sine.
Ozona received 45 applications for the position. Final interviews were conducted last week. Bronte head coach Kevin Burns and Pflugerville Hendrickson head coach Ray Brown were also interviewed for the position.
Former Ozona head coach and high school principal Steve Taylor did apply for the position, but withdrew his application after CCCCSD did not meet all his requirements, according to an article in the Odessa American.
But even if the district did, "I just promised to look at it," said Taylor in the Odessa American article, adding that the district contacted him first. "It wasn't a done deal."
Taylor was head coach at Ozona from 1999 to 2003 and served as high school principal in 2004 before moving to Greenwood.
Taylor said in the Odessa American article that he received strong community support while he was at Ozona, and he can see why a coach would take the job despite last season's record.
"Sometimes you come in somewhere that's been 0-10 and there's nowhere to go but up," Taylor said in the article. "I think they'll have pretty good guys look at it as a challenge to bring it back.”

:eek:

Ranger Mom
06-30-2009, 08:35 PM
I like Taylor...he seems like a nice enough guy.....but he's no Bob Purser!!!