PDA

View Full Version : college professors

turbostud
06-29-2009, 06:41 PM
Some of these guys are wack jobs. I have to turn in a research paper that is due today. The course requirements says 8-10 pages in length which is what all the other classes say. Its the norm. This guy wants the paper to be EXACTLY 8 pages. Not one word over or one word less than 8 pages. His rational is if you are writing for a newspaper and the editor comes to you and says he has room for an 8 page paper but it has to be exactly 8 pages. That would be understandable if I was getting a Journalism degree.

maestro
06-29-2009, 06:43 PM
just wait until the blue book exams start rolling in...

good stuff.....

turbostud
06-29-2009, 06:51 PM
I think it has to do with getting a graduate degree. I think they get brainwashed once they get a Masters or Doctorate. Im about to complete a bachelors in Organizational Management and I told my wife that I feel brainwashed with some of the classes I am taking. Thinking and saying stuff that normally I would never do. The Leadership and Mangement stuff is cool, but when I take a class that covers Group Theory, Group Skills, Social Problems, or Joining Together that is when the brainwashing begins.

DDBooger
06-29-2009, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Last summer, I taught a night class at a college instead of working football camps for some extra money. You think they're wierd IN class....Most public school teachers are real people outside of the classroom, but college profs are a different breed. Most are real off of it as well. Eccentricity is not unique to that profession! I met the same amount of weird teachers as I've met professors. Lawyers are insane, and some medical doctors are some of the most grandiose personalities I've ever encountered. You should have a regular discussion with geophysicists. LOL Best professors I've encountered and how I frame myself as well is to present a problem and ask the students to discuss and problem solve on their own. Guidance yet asking for explanation of one's stance should be important.

As far as page limit. The guy is likely BS'ing you Turbo, when papers are asked to be kept at a certain page length, it's regularly because grading 15-30 10 page papers is time consuming and if it is at the end of the semester, normally only a week to do so. Students I find just don't give a damn, many are just there to get a piece of paper. Some genuinely do give a damn and are in the office all day trying to figure out what went wrong.

Trashman
06-29-2009, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by turbostud
Some of these guys are wack jobs.

I was in my first college class about 15 minutes, when I suddenly realized that my dear old Dad, with his 8th grade education, was smarter than the guy at the front of the class room with a Phd. The older I get the smarter Dad gets......:D

turbostud
06-29-2009, 08:35 PM
I had to take a Psychology class called Adult Development and Life Assessment. BORING. I would not want to be a Psychologist.
I still have to take a Philosophy class that I am dreading. I would rather watch paint dry.

PurpleFreddy
06-29-2009, 10:06 PM
True, but life would be so much duller if we didn't have some eccentric instructors in college.
Nonetheless, God gave each and every one of you a brain ... use the filter mechanism in the brain. You can examine the ideas (even ones you think to be total garbage) and sift them through. Form your own opinions. Call a spade a spade (I used that saying on purpose).
That's what bugs me about people who can only watch one news network or listen to only one radio talk show host. As if listening to divergent viewpoints will poison us or cause us to be "converted."
This IS part of the college experience. Besides, you will be around a lot of people in the workforce for whom you will really despise (or despise what they believe). You gotta learn to deal with it.

Z motion 10 out on 2
06-29-2009, 10:57 PM
I have been a college professor for 11 years now, and I guess you could say that we want students to follow instructions. It drives me crazy when a student asks when something is due when it is on the syllabus. In your case it may be like what DDBooger wrote in that some students will write 25 pages on a 10 page assignment. Too much grading and at the end of a semester.

I spent many, many, many years in college and I came out thinking that it is like prison, you just have to do the time. So my advice is to do it exactly as the professor wants.

Sort of interesting, I have spent time at three different colleges (working) and only here at my last stop (Washburn University) have I found any really good football fans. Of course Washburn is in the MIAA which is a freaking powerhouse conference for division II. But my last stop at Cameron Univ. in Oklahoma, heck I couldn't buy a football fan amongst the college professors, man am I glad to be out of that place.

slappydappydoo
06-30-2009, 12:57 AM
i had a professor @ tech that was openly gay and got into details about it...if you werent paying attention in class he would kick u out...tool