PDA

View Full Version : 7 on 7 Pre-Tournament Rankings

Matthew328
06-29-2009, 08:38 AM
http://theoldcoach.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=960151

Thoughts?

Sweetwater Red
06-29-2009, 08:46 AM
Nice to see four teams from our district making the tourney.

My question would be what about Wylie gives them the #1 spot?
Not debating it. Just curious.:thinking:

Matthew328
06-29-2009, 08:58 AM
Wylie has been very strong in their local league beating Abilene and Abilene Cooper who are in the top half of the big school rankings.

They've beaten Georgetown and Temple in tournament play...they finished 2nd in the Abilene Division I SQT losing the championship game to Abilene 26-24...then in the Tarleton SQT they won it despite missing their top WR..this team is deep and they know how to win...and depth is key at state because its a war of attrition on Day 2

bwdlionfan
06-29-2009, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Wylie has been very strong in their local league beating Abilene and Abilene Cooper who are in the top half of the big school rankings.

They've beaten Georgetown and Temple in tournament play...they finished 2nd in the Abilene Division I SQT losing the championship game to Abilene 26-24...then in the Tarleton SQT they won it despite missing their top WR..this team is deep and they know how to win...and depth is key at state because its a war of attrition on Day 2

Is that the seeding that will be used? If so, how you determine who will be in each of the 8 pools?

Matthew328
06-29-2009, 12:18 PM
No its not...its just simply my opinion.

ATMO
06-29-2009, 12:59 PM
Abilene Wylie did lose to Gatesville in the Tarleton SQT.

BEAST
06-29-2009, 01:11 PM
I have no problem with the rankings. However, Celina doesnt use its standard offense when playing 7 on 7. I dont know if that is common or not but to me it is strange. Why would you go through all headaches of making up an offense for 7 on 7 when the whole purpose of 7 on 7 is to help your Qb and recievers perfect the routes that they will be running in the fall?

BEAST

bwdlionfan
06-29-2009, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by BEAST
I have no problem with the rankings. However, Celina doesnt use its standard offense when playing 7 on 7. I dont know if that is common or not but to me it is strange. Why would you go through all headaches of making up an offense for 7 on 7 when the whole purpose of 7 on 7 is to help your Qb and recievers perfect the routes that they will be running in the fall?

BEAST

I agree it doesn't make much sense... but it's worked well for them.

marler1972
06-29-2009, 01:24 PM
Who knows but it does work. Our 7th,8th,9th and Jv teams will also be in College station playing in the 7on 7 state tourney. It is run by prime time sports.

NTFan
06-29-2009, 01:31 PM
BEAST

Celina does run their offense. The same plays except during FB season they have a back in the backfield blocking, during 7 on 7 he is running a route. The reason people say that they run a "different" offense in 7 on 7 is because they run the shuffle pass on ocassion. If you have 1 yard to make a first, why run a 10 yard route? During the Bowie tournament, they scored on every possession except for 1....that was a INT against brownwood. And here are the facts......they have the most state championships in the fall(8).......and they have the most state championships during 7 on 7(2)..........hard to argue that?

BEAST [/B][/QUOTE]

gatordaze
06-29-2009, 03:33 PM

BEAST

Would'nt you have to throw the ball in the fall to use the same offense in the summer? I don't see any similarities between 7 on 7 and fall for Celina. They other team tends to get mad when you hit them in 7 on 7. It is good practice for man coverage.

BEAST
06-29-2009, 03:34 PM
Odd. I was talking to a Celina coach at the Bowie tourney and he is the one who told me that it wasnt the same offense. When you stack 3 Wrs where a TE would be and run them to the middle of the field, in real football they would be getting stepped on by the O & D line.

Now, I didnt say it didnt work, nor is it against 7 on 7 rules. I simply stated that I thought it was strange.

Oh and by the way, after the Bowie tourney, on old coach website, they reported that Brownwood was the best team at the tournament because, "Celina does not use its normal offense". Matt, you may can back be up on that. I know I read it on there.

BEAST

BEAST
06-29-2009, 03:38 PM
Odd. I was talking to a Celina coach at the Bowie tourney and he is the one who told me that it wasnt the same offense. When you stack 3 Wrs where a TE would be and run them to the middle of the field, in real football they would be getting stepped on by the O & D line.

Now, I didnt say it didnt work, nor is it against 7 on 7 rules. I simply stated that I thought it was strange.

Oh and by the way, after the Bowie tourney, on old coach website, they reported that Brownwood was the best team at the tournament because, "Celina does not use its normal offense". Matt, you may can back be up on that. I know I read it on there.

BEAST

That was directed at NTfan, not gatordaze.

BEAST

Electus Unus
06-29-2009, 03:56 PM
Lots of first timers. That is always good to see!

snake_attack
06-29-2009, 05:39 PM
I think maybe navasota should be in the top 5 or someting?

WildTexan972
06-29-2009, 05:42 PM

BEAST

"they reported" was just them giving an opinion....but maybe he should include looking up at the scoreboard to help get his opinions in line with reality...Celina beat em heads up in the summer and would do it again in the Fall if the Wood ever gets that far...

WTF-82
06-29-2009, 05:49 PM

BEAST

Celina has the spread offense in there attack. But dont use it much because they dont need to, but they can throw the football and its just extra work for the qb and there receivers to get out there and run routes. There are times when Celina will spread it out and continue to run the ball but if you stack it to try to stop that run they will smoke you with the pass. They have it going on. I would do the same thing get those kids out there and let them work.

Snydertigersrul
06-29-2009, 05:57 PM
http://theoldcoach.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=960151

Thoughts?

Snyder should be ranked much higher (at No. 1, of course)

LLM_1331
06-29-2009, 06:46 PM
Has anyone seen Glen Rose play this year? There QB graduated last year, just wondering what they might have. I heard they only lost one game in league play in Aledo.

NTFan
06-29-2009, 07:38 PM
That was directed at NTfan, not gatordaze.

BEAST

ok....you got me

ATMO
06-29-2009, 08:28 PM
If Celina runs their offense (which has been in place for years), then why do they use play cards?

navscanmaster
06-29-2009, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by snake_attack
I think maybe navasota should be in the top 5 or someting?

Depends on the QB. I think Kye is much more valuable in 7 on 7 as a receiver. Ian Day has an accurate arm and would be IMO the best chance Navasota has for making it back to the state final. The receivers are going to be surprisingly great this year.

charlesrixey
06-30-2009, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by ATMO
If Celina runs their offense (which has been in place for years), then why do they use play cards?

does this really matter?

celina seems to be doing just fine in both regardless

gatordaze
06-30-2009, 07:56 AM
According to my son who plays both, there is really no parallel between the fall, and 7 on 7. Different plays for different purposes. The irony is that a running team with avaerage athletes like Celina can even compete in 7 on 7.

PPSTATEBOUND
06-30-2009, 10:16 AM
Are the pools set fot this little get togehter yet?:D

Matthew328
06-30-2009, 10:38 AM
Celina does not have average athletes....

LH Panther Mom
07-01-2009, 05:25 AM
Au contraire. Keep up here. It's all about "heart & desire". :p ;) :rolleyes:

Matthew328
07-01-2009, 07:09 AM
Yeah all heart, desire and coaching..it can't be that they have some pretty darn good talent and depth.

gatordaze
07-01-2009, 08:09 AM

When compared to all the D1 this and that on the site. You can count on one hand the D1 athletes Celina has produced in the past decade.

Off the top of my head:
Nathan Tune-UNT
Troy Franklin-UNT
D'anton Lynn-PSU
Jamie Blatnick-OKstate

Caleb Lavey- Okstate pending

An earlier thread stated that Gilmer has more than this on this years O-Line. After Caleb, I see maybe 1 lineman that is playing today that if he develops to his potential is a D1 prospect. Just cause they win does not mean that they have a bunch of bigtime athletes.

The depth is undeniable as a small school with just over 250 males to have 135 playing football provides a measure of depth.

marler1972
07-01-2009, 11:13 AM
I think we will have more it is just a wait and see. The see part is to see if we get move-ins.

DDBooger
07-01-2009, 11:19 AM
don't steal the mystique! :mad:

WildTexan972
07-01-2009, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by gatordaze
When compared to all the D1 this and that on the site. You can count on one hand the D1 athletes Celina has produced in the past decade.

Off the top of my head:
Nathan Tune-UNT
Troy Franklin-UNT
D'anton Lynn-PSU
Jamie Blatnick-OKstate

An earlier thread stated that Gilmer has more than this on this years O-Line. After Caleb, I see maybe 1 lineman that is playing today that if he develops to his potential is a D1 prospect. Just cause they win does not mean that they have a bunch of bigtime athletes.

The depth is undeniable as a small school with just over 250 males to have 135 playing football provides a measure of depth.

there was an OL that went to aggyville....not sure the year...and DE Cherry went to Tech....not sure if in the last decade...when it is tough to recall them it shows how rare they are...quality high school kids but they that play past hs....many of the kids may well be a little above average, but not very many would be graded as excellent athletes...

Matthew328
07-01-2009, 11:50 AM
Here is the thing that set Celina apart...many teams at the 2A and 3A level has one, two maybe even 3 STUDS...kids who go D-1 etc...I will give you the fact Celina rarely has those kind of kids...but what makes Celina so special is kids 2-22....their 10th best player is miles ahead of most team's 10th best player and the difference is even bigger at #20 etc.....Celina's 20th best kid is probably 3rd or 4th best on most other teams...thats the difference...so yes Celina has some talent..

rhs78
07-01-2009, 12:54 PM
Are the pools out yet!!!:)

Matthew328
07-01-2009, 01:02 PM
No pools

Looking4number8
07-01-2009, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by gatordaze

Off the top of my head:
Nathan Tune-UNT
Troy Franklin-UNT
D'anton Lynn-PSU
Jamie Blatnick-OKstate

see that is what they are saying because a D1 player is not an "average athlete" they are way above average. The fact that you can name 5 or 6 in recent memory is incredible. That's a lot of talent and my hat is off to Celina for developing "above average athletes"

TexasHSFB
07-01-2009, 05:47 PM
Some schools number 1 athlete isn't as good as Gilmer of WO-S's 22nd best.

:doh: :doh:

WildTexan972
07-01-2009, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
see that is what they are saying because a D1 player is not an "average athlete" they are way above average. The fact that you can name 5 or 6 in recent memory is incredible. That's a lot of talent and my hat is off to Celina for developing "above average athletes"

5 or 6 in a decade is not incredible....Gilmer's talent levels are incredible (somewhat wasted?)

WOS has a great list of talented guys each year....

Celina specializes in EXECUTION not great athletes.....those kids work hard and learn the system and commit to the practice it takes to execute....yes I know all teams work hard.....but hard work in a good system with great coaches with execution on gameday has thus far = 8 titles but few players that have gone on to greatness.....

HEY! another 1 we forgot...the Lynn kid to PennSt....his dad was a Celina-Tech-NFL star......

LH Panther Mom
07-01-2009, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
I can name on three fingers the D1 players we've had in the previous 15 years; one of them was a track scholarship & one was a walk-on.

My http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/images/smilies/bs2.gif meter goes off when I hear about the "average" athletes.

Looking4number8
07-01-2009, 07:45 PM
One thing I can agree with the Celina guys on is it takes more than just great athletes. If not, last year would have been our year! We had the players (Pachall, Taylor, Lowe, Miller, Vaccarro before he transfered) That is why most of Bwd boys were so mouthy during the preseason. We had more super talent last year than most schools get in 4 or 5 years. Somehow we just did not use it all right, or something.. crap I am still not sure what happened. Every night when I go to sleep, I hope I wake up and it was all just a bad bad dream!

Anyways, I can agree that it takes more than just great talent. It is a combo of things, talent, coaching, hard work, kids buying into the system, kids focus on the game and a whole lot more including luck and not playing Wylie at home with home cooked refs (Sorry GP77, had to take a shot!)

On that note, I still think you Celina guys have a whole lot more talent moving there just for football than you guys will ever admit. Thats not a stab at you, I wish we had more of it moving here!

Matthew328
07-01-2009, 08:11 PM
Brownwood had a lot of internal strife, staff didn't get along and there was a serious lack of discipline.....combine that with subpar talent on defense and you get what happened last year