PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new LCD TV. Opinions?

DukeNukem
06-27-2009, 09:59 PM
I looked at the old post but since technology changes by the day, I thought I would seek some of your updated opinions.

I am looking to stick with probably Sony or Samsung. Have been a Sony man forever but some the Samsungs caught my eye at Best Buy. I really like the new Samsung LEDs but I am afraid the glare on the screen may be too much.

I am going to get at least 60,000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio and at least 120HZ processing.

Also, anybody have an LG? The models they had at Best Buy looked outstanding. However I know you can't always go by this as it will be dependent on what they are showing on the TV and lighting in the store.

I need a 46/47" for my bright living room and a 40" for my bedroom that has dark to moderate lighting?

All opinions appreciated.

CelinaCatFan
06-27-2009, 11:26 PM
My dad just got an LG and it looks great!

BreckTxLonghorn
06-27-2009, 11:26 PM
Best TV I ever saw is the one I own, a Samsung. Comparable price to anything, and worth it even if its a bit more expensive.

Emerson1
06-28-2009, 12:23 AM
Go into the store knowing what you want to buy. Don't make a decision based on what they look like on the showroom floor.

DukeNukem
06-28-2009, 06:19 PM
ttt

grmfan93
06-28-2009, 08:24 PM
I have been looking around for a new lcd tv an everyone that ive taked to said to get a samsung. From the people at sears and best buy samsung is better for gaming, sports, and movies. Sony is good for regular tv watching and movies (not so much on the sports). Sony is a great tv but doesnt compare to the samsungs. Sony is also good if you dont need alot of extras ie. that internet hookup that gives you stocks weather etc. It also depends on how much you want to spend. If you are willing to spend around 2-3 grand get a samsung led.

Hope this helps you a little.

big daddy russ
06-28-2009, 08:51 PM
The Sonys and Samsungs look great, especially after they're calibrated. I'm not too familiar with the LG's, but I know Sony LCD's are supposed to be at the top of the game right now.

TMer25
06-28-2009, 09:21 PM
If you are going to be in a room with alot of ambient light, go with the Sony. If it's primarily going to be watched in a darkened room go with the Samsung. Sony has a more accurate color decoder. Samsung does a little bit better job with the bottom end of black level. You get either one calibrated, your going to have a very pretty picture as long as you get an experienced calibrator to do it.

DukeNukem
06-28-2009, 09:56 PM
keep em coming. thanks for the info.

TMer25
06-28-2009, 10:12 PM
Don't concern yourself with "Dynamic Contrast Ratio" as I have yet to see a manufacturer actually measure that number accurately. 120hz processing should only be a factor in your decision if your going to be using a Blu Ray player and sending the display a 1080p24 signal. The LG is the only one of the brand's you listed that handles that signal improperly.