PDA

View Full Version : Timeshare?

Eagle1
06-27-2009, 11:01 AM
I was wondering how time shares worked exactly? I know you purchase a week for example a condo in Ruidoso NM going for 2200. I also know there is a maintainance fee is this once a year? The one in Ruidoso had a 449 dollar maintainance fee. What other fees are included? I was wanting to know the pros and cons.

wildstangs
06-27-2009, 09:35 PM
Definitely not an expert on them, but my in-laws have been trying to get someone to take theirs off their hands for years!

Listen to Dave Ramsey about them - he says they are a big no-no. Again, I don't know the specifics, but apparently they aren't a good idea financially.

Old Cardinal
06-28-2009, 03:19 PM
I hesitated to say anything---BUT you pay a lot up front and they collect the interest all the way through.
You can just put up the same money and use the interest PLUS the yearly FEE and have a good vacation each year and STILL HAVE ALL OF YOUR MONEY PUT UP TOWARD RETIREMENT.

They try to catch you in a gala mood and sock it to you.

Run an add in any big newspaper and give a low-ball figure and you can buy out a time share from people wanting to dump them at very reasonable prices! It you really want one of those albatross to hang around your neck :eek:

icu812
06-28-2009, 04:21 PM
I wouldn't but if you just gotta have one try craigslist. You can probably get one extra cheap right now. Make sure it's transferable though and some amenities might not transfer. Do your homework. Some resorts have amenities you can use year around which would be good if you live close by. Most have a scheduled time which your locked into. Never purchased one myself.

PPHSfan
06-29-2009, 01:19 AM
I used to have a timeshare. Now I have a Resort Network Membership. Much better deal. You should look into that. You buy a lifetime membership, and then you can stay at just about any resort, any time, for about half price, and there are always fantastic buys during off season at places all over the world. We stayed for a week in a Mountain Cabin in Gatlinburg TN for 300 bucks last summer. Most Cabins in that area run 1200+ for a week.

BaseballUmp
06-29-2009, 11:29 AM
My family has had 1 for about 6-7 years and we have been to it twice. Tried for years to get rid of it but theres just nothing we can do to. I would say dont do it

Old Cardinal
06-29-2009, 03:35 PM
To: PPHS
I am interested in the Resort Network Membership...The site was full of how you can get-rich-quick.

After a long time of searching for the cost of a membership and the details-- I kind of gave up on finding what I was looking for...I just wanted the cost for being a member and where all I could make cheaper reservations etc:

Sweetwater96
06-29-2009, 09:26 PM
I love vacationing and we take about 3 to 4 big trips per year.
I own a timeshare, and if i had to give any advice, i would say do not do it. We will have ours paid off in 3 years so we will not be paying interest over the term of the mortgage but I do not think they are really worth it. They are nice, they will promise you the world but once you are an owner somehow they forget about service and just want your money.

PPHSfan
06-30-2009, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
To: PPHS
I am interested in the Resort Network Membership...The site was full of how you can get-rich-quick.

After a long time of searching for the cost of a membership and the details-- I kind of gave up on finding what I was looking for...I just wanted the cost for being a member and where all I could make cheaper reservations etc:

Hey Old Bird.

I can send you a link if you want. I have never tried the get rich part that the membership I have offers. I don't believe in get rich quick, I believe in get rich through hard work. However I do enjoy the great deals I get with my membership. I spent 3 grand on a lifetime membership and have saved ten times that amount off retail in the past couple of years. I do however spend a great deal of time traveling.

Old Cardinal
06-30-2009, 11:11 AM
Thanks please post the www. to get where you can see the savings info and where all the things to rent are available etc:

Also, where to signup & become a member.....Thank you