PDA

View Full Version : Computer geeks.....

turbostud
06-26-2009, 06:26 PM
Whats the difference in a degree in Computer Science and a degree in Computer Information Systems?

Blastoderm55
06-26-2009, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by turbostud
Whats the difference in a degree in Computer Science and a degree in Computer Information Systems?

Um, I think CS is more of a programming, software design degree while CIS is more toward information technology and network administration.

turbostud
06-26-2009, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
Um, I think CS is more of a programming, software design degree while CIS is more toward information technology and network administration.

Ok Thanx.
Anyone have any recommendations as to which one to pursue? Pro's and Con's?

Blastoderm55
06-26-2009, 07:46 PM
Ok Thanx.
Anyone have any recommendations as to which one to pursue? Pro's and Con's?

The money is better in CS. I know at TAMUK, the curriculum is pretty similar to Electrical Engineering, so its a more science and math focused degree. CIS will focus a lot more on the use of applications rather than their design. Good money if you can catch on with a good company, but not as good.

bigwood33
06-26-2009, 07:46 PM
It depends on what you like. If you think that writing code would be interesting then go for CS. If that isn't your cup of tea but you are interested in technology then IS is the way to go. IS folks would be responsible for company's technical infrastructure and security. The are both good.

jason
06-26-2009, 08:09 PM
computer science is in the college of science and technology (at tarleton) and is the programming of computer chips and a lot of actual program writing - a lot of math involved...

computer information systems is being proficient with programs and applications that are already written and in production on computers that are ready to go....

at tarleton, in the college of business, you can get a cis degree with emphasis in network administration (that is what i did), database administration, and/or programming....

you have to enjoy computers quite a bit to be a cis major...

you have to enjoy math and theory to be a cs major...

that's just my opinion though....

goosealaniz
06-26-2009, 08:48 PM
im a comp. sci. major and am about to start my second year in college... comp sci is pretty easy if you actually read the books and do the work... i thought i knew what comp sci was in high school... but when went to college they have taught me a lot in the subject

turbostud
06-26-2009, 08:55 PM
I'm not much into math. Algebra I can do, but anything beyond that like Calculus and Trig I will pass. CIS sounds like my cup of tea.

turbostud
06-26-2009, 09:00 PM
I just saw on yahoo where the average starting salary for Computer Science degree was 51k. My wife has been teaching 19 years and is at 51k. WOW. Teachers are way underpaid.

jason
06-26-2009, 11:03 PM
I'm not much into math. Algebra I can do, but anything beyond that like Calculus and Trig I will pass. CIS sounds like my cup of tea. what school ?

turbostud
06-26-2009, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by jason
what school ?
Weslaco ISD
Actually its more like 55k.

Snyder_TigerFan
06-27-2009, 12:47 AM
I think he meant what school do you plan on attending....

I have a CS degree and did programming for about 10 years. I got tired of sitting behind a desk all day writing code, so I was lucky enough to be able to switch careers. There are many different types of CS routes you can take, probably depending more on what you learn most on in school. There is application development (writing software for businesses that commerical programs don't quite do), lower level programming like programming chips, processors, and who knows what else....web development, game programming (very lucrative and more specialized, from what I understand), database programming.

Bottom line, if you don't mind sitting behind a desk all day, writing code, CS is the way to go. It will pay better. JMO

turbostud
06-27-2009, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan
I think he meant what school do you plan on attending....

I have a CS degree and did programming for about 10 years. I got tired of sitting behind a desk all day writing code, so I was lucky enough to be able to switch careers. There are many different types of CS routes you can take, probably depending more on what you learn most on in school. There is application development (writing software for businesses that commerical programs don't quite do), lower level programming like programming chips, processors, and who knows what else....web development, game programming (very lucrative and more specialized, from what I understand), database programming.

Bottom line, if you don't mind sitting behind a desk all day, writing code, CS is the way to go. It will pay better. JMO

Ohhh, South Texas College here in the Valley. I am about to finish up an Organizational Management degree with Ashford University and I am thinking of going right into a CIS degree with South Texas College. The government will pay for it, so I might as well.