PDA

View Full Version : book suggestions

DU_stud04
06-25-2009, 01:43 PM
let me have them.... i love reading and havent read a book that i thought was fantastic in about a year or so.

nobogey72
06-25-2009, 02:13 PM
Man, you have got to read The Lone Survivor by Marcus Tillman

True story. Marcus actually was a Navy Seal that survived an attack in Afganistan that killed the rest of his Seal team. Its just kind of his life story how he came to be a Seal. I've only gotten about half way through it but I can already tell it's going to be one of my all time favorites. And, he is also a native Texan.

Gsquared
06-25-2009, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
let me have them.... i love reading and havent read a book that i thought was fantastic in about a year or so.
Karmel Sutures. Its about being sewed up with carmel apple pieces after surgery after having grex in a bunch of different positions I think. Havnt read it yet

crzyjournalist03
06-25-2009, 03:48 PM
I generally avoid reading, but just over a week ago, my wife came back from the library with "Beyond Belief" by Josh Hamilton. I'm more than halfway through it, and so far, it's been a fabulous read about a truly remarkable story. I've heard the story on ESPN and read about it in the papers, but when you hear him put it in his own words, it's remarkable.

DU_stud04
06-25-2009, 04:07 PM
thanks guys, ill look some of these up .

now the hard part... the girl is wanting some new reading material as well. of course she is a big Nicholas Sparks fan, so something along those lines would be good as well.

SintonFan
06-25-2009, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
thanks guys, ill look some of these up .

now the hard part... the girl is wanting some new reading material as well. of course she is a big Nicholas Sparks fan, so something along those lines would be good as well.
Just don't get her started on Nora Roberts. That lady is gonna be the death of me.:eek:
j/k

Trashman
06-25-2009, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Or, if you want something with someone you may know, ie Mr. Bass:
Sharkman Six-by Owen West-the names have been changed, as well a few irrelevant facts, but Mr. Bass himself is in it(under a different name, which you should be able to figure out in the first page).

So in your previous life you were an M-16? :devil: :D

icu812
06-25-2009, 05:19 PM
The 5000 Year Leap - sobering look at where our country stands politically, economically, socially.

A Land So Strange - amazing story of Cabez de Vaca's walk accross Texas and the South.

PPHSfan
06-25-2009, 06:24 PM
Lee Child Rocks

Met him in Houston last month. He's a really cool cat. His 13 book series of his character Jack Reacher is awesome.

DU_stud04
06-25-2009, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
Lee Child Rocks

Met him in Houston last month. He's a really cool cat. His 13 book series of his character Jack Reacher is awesome. you've been talking about him for a while now.... i might have to catch up on the series.

turbostud
06-25-2009, 06:55 PM
This is a great book and one of my favorites.

Once a Warrior King by David Donavan

In the spring of 1969, First Lieutenant David Donovan arrived in the Mekong Delta of South Vietnam to work as military advisor with village chiefs and local militia to win the war.

But as he was the highest-ranking person in the entire district, his life there was far more complex than anyone could have imagined.

This is Donovan's gripping account of combat missions and night ambushes in the swamps and jungles of the Delta...his heartrending tale of personal involvement with the culture and families in his charge...his humane introspection on his awesome responsibility as both warrior and king...his stark reflections on the changes he saw in himself and his country upon his return to the U.S.

Antec
06-25-2009, 06:55 PM
I bought a book released about six months ago about Shiner Beer

Great stories and pics-Got it from Amazon

PurpleFreddy
06-25-2009, 08:00 PM
Okay, being an English teacher I hope I can give you some insights:

If you like mystery, start with Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz (there are three other follow-up books)

If you like nonfiction, Twelve Mighty Orphans by Jim Dent

Also, try these:

An Abundance of Catherines by John Green
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
Monster by Walter Dean Myers
The Great Santini by Pat Conroy
For One More Day by Mitch Albom
I Am the Cheese by Robert Cormier

STAggie
06-25-2009, 09:24 PM
Let me give you some Sci-Fi/Fantasy choices to round this out:

Night Watch--Sergei Ludyenko (sp?)
Different look on vampires and such. Really great read.

A Game of Thrones--George R R Martin
Think Tolkien but less wordy and more adult. Great series.

For the lady try I Love you Beth Cooper by Larry Doyle. If you like high school comedys (i.e.: American Pie, Porkeys, etc.) it is a great read.

IrishTex
06-26-2009, 05:20 AM
The Shack by Wm. Paul Young

PPHSfan
06-26-2009, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by IrishTex
The Shack by Wm. Paul Young

I read The Shack last Fall. It was a fantastic book.

ronwx5x
06-26-2009, 07:48 AM
Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow. But get ready to take some time, it is loooooong. Basically his entire life, warts and all, well written, very readable, and many surprises about Hamilton's life.

carter08
06-26-2009, 12:37 PM
my quirky english major suggestions:

oranges are not the only fruit AND sexing the cherry- jeanette winterson
o pioneers!- willa cather
as i lay dying- william faulkner
the things they carried- time o' brien (i've only read bits and pieces, but it's a brilliant tale of war and stuff)

PurpleFreddy
06-26-2009, 01:10 PM
My daughter read As I Lay Dying as a senior and really liked it. It's one of those works that people either really, really like or do not.

Some authors I would recommend:
Willie Morris (My Dog Skip)
Larry McMurtry (The Last Picture Show)
John Green (Looking for Alaska)
Winston Groom (Forrest Gump)
John Knowles (A Separate Peace)