PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a swimming pool??

Ranger Mom
06-25-2009, 11:04 AM
If so...how hard do you find the upkeep of it??

nobogey72
06-25-2009, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

Yes and the only time it's hard to take care of is when my wife is asleep. She gets real pissed when I wake her up to tell her to go take care of the pool.:cool: :cool:

SintonFan
06-25-2009, 11:11 AM
I used to but after two season of heavy use the three sets of blowup rings gave out.
I am now maintaining both my dad's inground and neighbor's above ground. Once you learn the ropes and tricks for chemicals and cleaning, it's pretty easy.

Ranger Mom
06-25-2009, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
I used to but after two season of heavy use the three sets of blowup rings gave out.
I am now maintaining both my dad's inground and neighbor's above ground. Once you learn the ropes and tricks for chemicals and cleaning, it's pretty easy.

This may be long, but I am so excited about this!!

Our water is very hard at my house. I can't count the number of liners we have gone through and no telling how much I have spent on chemicals.

Over the past 5 or so years, if my pool was even swim worthy, it was either cloudy or getting a green tinge to it. We could never seem to get the ph or whatever right.

It was so bad last year that my husband said NO MORE...he was done.

Our entire half of our backyard is built around that pool....the cobblestone and the deck completely surround it.

Anyway...my bro and sister in law live 7 miles from me and they NEVER have any problems with their pool. The only thing I could figure it that their water wasn't nearly as hard as ours.

I was swimming in their pool last year and it dawned on me how salty their water was.

All the sudden it hit me! People put salt in their water softeners. I had seen Pool salt at Home Depot before.

I started researching it and found that 65 to 75% of pools built today are salt water pools.

I know there is some kind of filter that goes on there, but I didn't get it.

I bought eight 40 lb bags of salt and poured in my pool. That was in the middle of May.....I have yet to have had to shock the pool. All I have done is leave a chlorine tablet floating around in the little ducky floaty thing.

Someone asked me how I test it. I don't....if it is crystal clear and clean smelling I don't care WHAT the test strip says!!!

My test is the "taste test"...when it starts losing its salty flavor then I put more in.

I worried about not buying the salt filter at first....but my brother has had the same pump on his pool for the past 5 years and it works just like it did when it was brand new!!

I would rather replace my pump 5 years down the road if that's the case!!

SintonFan
06-25-2009, 11:26 AM
This may be long, but I am so excited about this!!

Our water is very hard at my house. I can't count the number of liners we have gone through and no telling how much I have spent on chemicals.

Over the past 5 or so years, if my pool was even swim worthy, it was either cloudy or getting a green tinge to it. We could never seem to get the ph or whatever right.

It was so bad last year that my husband said NO MORE...he was done.

Our entire half of our backyard is built around that pool....the cobblestone and the deck completely surround it.

Anyway...my bro and sister in law live 7 miles from me and they NEVER have any problems with their pool. The only thing I could figure it that their water wasn't nearly as hard as ours.

I was swimming in their pool last year and it dawned on me how salty their water was.

All the sudden it hit me! People put salt in their water softeners. I had seen Pool salt at Home Depot before.

I started researching it and found that 65 to 75% of pools built today are salt water pools.

I know there is some kind of filter that goes on there, but I didn't get it.

I bought eight 40 lb bags of salt and poured in my pool. That was in the middle of May.....I have yet to have had to shock the pool. All I have done is leave a chlorine tablet floating around in the little ducky floaty thing.

Someone asked me how I test it. I don't....if it is crystal clear and clean smelling I don't care WHAT the test strip says!!!

My test is the "taste test"...when it starts losing its salty flavor then I put more in.

I worried about not buying the salt filter at first....but my brother has had the same pump on his pool for the past 5 years and it works just like it did when it was brand new!!

I would rather replace my pump 5 years down the road if that's the case!!
lol lol
RM, you just made my day!
That IS NOT why you put salt in a pool.:p :p :p
A salt pool is one that has a low level of salt in it for conversion to chlorine using a cell that converts it to chlorine.:D
I'll find some more info on it to show you.
I'll post some helpful hints on hard water later.

Keith7
06-25-2009, 11:26 AM
I have one, but the apartment maintenance guy maintains it, so I really can't help.

Ranger Mom
06-25-2009, 11:31 AM
lol lol
RM, you just made my day!
That IS NOT why you put salt in a pool.:p :p :p
A salt pool is one that has a low level of salt in it for conversion to chlorine using a cell that converts it to chlorine.:D
I'll find some more info on it to show you.
I'll post some helpful hints on hard water later.

I have already read up on it....days worth!!

My pool is sparkling clean. No chlorine smell, no burning eyes, no calcium deposits on the liner.

That is all I need to know!!!!

All I know is that my brothers water is naturally salty and they NEVER shock their pool or add any kind of chemicals EVER. Their pool is clean and clear year round.

I don't care what the salt is supposed to do, what the cell is supposed to do....the salt I have added to my pool is working like the salt my brother has in his water.........our pools look immaculate!!

That is all I need to know!!!

SintonFan
06-25-2009, 11:38 AM
I have already read up on it....days worth!!

My pool is sparkling clean. No chlorine smell, no burning eyes, no calcium deposits on the liner.

That is all I need to know!!!!

All I know is that my brothers water is naturally salty and they NEVER shock their pool or add any kind of chemicals EVER. Their pool is clean and clear year round.

I don't care what the salt is supposed to do, what the cell is supposed to do....the salt I have added to my pool is working like the salt my brother has in his water.........our pools look immaculate!!

That is all I need to know!!!
lol
No need to start throwing out all those exclamations.:D
Have you tried Borax? It's is a great water softener that raises ph without raising alkalinity.
The number one rule for clean water is to use a higher quality chlorine like Tri-chlors and add cyanuric acid in the summer time because the chlorine evaporates very fast on hot sunny days. The cyanuric acid provides a barrier on top of the water to help prevent evaporation and is completely safe. Please, I'm only here to help you RM...:)

PPSTATEBOUND
06-25-2009, 11:39 AM
okay so the salt and chlorine can be mixed and I can still still use the original sand filter that came with the pool???..Ranger Mom you say this is working for you?

Looking4number8
06-25-2009, 11:43 AM
I have a large (by my standards) above ground. The rail is solid enough that I walk on the sides to vacum it. Our water is good so all I have to do is shock it once in a while and keep it free of leaves and stuff. Pretty easy and cheap to keep

Ranger Mom
06-25-2009, 11:45 AM
lol
No need to start throwing out all those exclamations.:D
Have you tried Borax? It's is a great water softener that raises ph without raising alkalinity.
The number one rule for clean water is to use a higher quality chlorine like Tri-chlors and add cyanuric acid in the summer time because the chlorine evaporates very fast on hot sunny days. The cyanuric acid provides a barrier on top of the water to help prevent evaporation and is completely safe. Please, I'm only here to help you RM...:)

We have tried EVERYTHING you have mentioned...nothing seemed to help.

If I have to test the water all the time to make sure the PH or the alkalinity is right...it takes all the fun out of the pool for me.

For 6 weeks now, I haven't had to do anything to my pool but vacuum it and at some occasional pool salt. I have never had that freedom from the pool maintenance before!

SintonFan
06-25-2009, 11:45 AM
One tip for helping to keep a clean pool. If you have directional jets on your pool, use them to make the pool water rotate. This makes cleanup a snap with your pool net or leaf master by having most of what settles on the bottom in one spot. Leaf Masters work great because you clean your pool and add water at the same time, "two birds with one stone".

SintonFan
06-25-2009, 11:46 AM
We have tried EVERYTHING you have mentioned...nothing seemed to help.

If I have to test the water all the time to make sure the PH or the alkalinity is right...it takes all the fun out of the pool for me.

For 6 weeks now, I haven't had to do anything to my pool but vacuum it and at some occasional pool salt. I have never had that freedom from the pool maintenance before!
Do you have well water or city water?

Ranger Mom
06-25-2009, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by PPSTATEBOUND
okay so the salt and chlorine can be mixed and I can still still use the original sand filter that came with the pool???..Ranger Mom you say this is working for you?

So far it is. Of course, it has only been 6 weeks.

But...my brother, whose water is salty right out of the ground hasn't had to do anything with his pool for 5 years.

Maybe I am way off base in thinking that it is the difference in our water.

All I know is that we put 6 bags of salt (initially) and I think my husband put a chlorine tablet in the float thingy....and we haven't had to do anything else with it.

Ranger Mom
06-25-2009, 11:49 AM
Do you have well water or city water?

Well water that is EXTREMELY hard!!!!

We replace faucets in and outside the house on a yearly basis because they will be corroded with calcium buildup!

PPSTATEBOUND
06-25-2009, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
I have a large (by my standards) above ground. The rail is solid enough that I walk on the sides to vacum it. Our water is good so all I have to do is shock it once in a while and keep it free of leaves and stuff. Pretty easy and cheap to keep

I have a 28' 52" above ground pool, its coved out in the middle so its about 5'5" deep in the very middle....I love it..have had it for the past 7 years, replaced the liner last year and added the corner cove to help out the liner and feel at the bottm side conection....For a above ground pool it rocks, or for any pool, my little boys just love it....I dont walk on the sides though even thoug I prolly could, it might crush the coping strips I just replaced with the liner.....The Kreepy crawler does all my vacuming for me....they are worth the 125.00

PPSTATEBOUND
06-25-2009, 11:51 AM
So far it is. Of course, it has only been 6 weeks.

But...my brother, whose water is salty right out of the ground hasn't had to do anything with his pool for 5 years.

Maybe I am way off base in thinking that it is the difference in our water.

All I know is that we put 6 bags of salt (initially) and I think my husband put a chlorine tablet in the float thingy....and we haven't had to do anything else with it.

That works then..might give it a try.....:clap:

Thanks.

Ranger Mom
06-25-2009, 11:52 AM
I have a 28' 52" above ground pool, its coved out in the middle so its about 5'5" deep in the very middle....I love it..have had it for the past 7 years, replaced the liner last year and added the corner cove to help out the liner and feel at the bottm side conection....For a above ground pool it rocks, or for any pool, my little boys just love it....I dont walk on the sides though even thoug I prolly could, it might crush the coping strips I just replaced with the liner.....The Kreepy crawler does all my vacuming for me....they are worth the 125.00

Mine is 24' that is coved in some in the middle.

We buried it in the ground, so it's only about 18" out of the ground.

SintonFan
06-25-2009, 11:56 AM
Well water that is EXTREMELY hard!!!!
I can tell that with your use of three exclamation marks.:doh:
The best bet is to get the well water tested and not what is in your pool(so you can find out exactly what you are dealing with) . If you have high levels of calcium hardness then you have to acid dip your pool filter cartridge more often(every month or two). If you have have a diamotaceous(sp?) or sand filter you have to backflush more often. The dia filter will need more frequent servicing and the sand will need to be replaced more often. Never buy that new expensive "sand substitute", it's a waste of money.

Ranger Mom
06-25-2009, 11:59 AM
I can tell that with your use of three exclamation marks.:doh:
The best bet is to get the well water tested and not what is in your pool(so you can find out exactly what you are dealing with) . If you have high levels of calcium hardness then you have to acid dip your pool filter cartridge more often(every month or two). If you have have a diamotaceous(sp?) or sand filter you have to backflush more often. The dia filter will need more frequent servicing and the sand will need to be replaced more often. Never buy that new expensive "sand substitute", it's a waste of money.

Or I can just use salt!!:D

You must not read my posts closely enough!! I always use as at least 2 exclamation points and sometimes more!!!

Ranger Mom
06-25-2009, 12:00 PM
Mine is 24' that is coved in some in the middle.

We buried it in the ground, so it's only about 18" out of the ground.

I knew I had a picture on here somewhere.

This was taken probably about 5 years ago.

The pool is now completely fenced in since I have accumulated grandchildren since then!!!:D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/RangerMom1/86732a59.jpg

PPSTATEBOUND
06-25-2009, 12:02 PM
Oh yeah, that looks good to go!.....Replace the sand??? seven years and still filtering fine......:eek: ...should I expect a break down anytime soon?

SintonFan
06-25-2009, 12:02 PM
Or I can just use salt!!:D

You must not read my posts closely enough!! I always use as at least 2 exclamation points and sometimes more!!!
Do you have any kind of filter or water softener for your well water? It sounds to me it would be worth the cost.
I convinced my dad to stop using his well water because I couldn't get his chemicals balanced. There is something wrong with his water.

SintonFan
06-25-2009, 12:04 PM
Oh yeah, that looks good to go!.....Replace the sand??? seven years and still filtering fine......:eek: ...should I expect a break down anytime soon?
You are recommended to replace it every two years or so.:nerd:
How many gallons is your pool and what size sand filter? 24"? 30"?

Ranger Mom
06-25-2009, 12:04 PM
Do you have any kind of filter or water softener for your well water? It sounds to me it would be worth the cost.
I convinced my dad to stop using his well water because I couldn't get his chemicals balanced. There is something wrong with his water.

No...we don't drink the water!!

We have no choice but to use our well water for bathing or whatever!!!

garciap77
06-25-2009, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
Yes and the only time it's hard to take care of is when my wife is asleep. She gets real pissed when I wake her up to tell her to go take care of the pool.:cool: :cool:

Dang Bogey! How does she keep that lake clean?:D

;)

garciap77
06-25-2009, 12:07 PM
I knew I had a picture on here somewhere.

This was taken probably about 5 years ago.

The pool is now completely fenced in since I have accumulated grandchildren since then!!!:D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/RangerMom1/86732a59.jpg
Is that next to the "MAN CAVE", if it is becareful who he has over for beer!:D

;)

P.S. Very nice pool!:)

PPSTATEBOUND
06-25-2009, 12:09 PM
You are recommended to replace it every two years or so.:nerd:
How many gallons is your pool and what size sand filter? 24"? 30"?

24,000 and a 30 incher...I think...:rolleyes: its a beast to fill.

SintonFan
06-25-2009, 12:13 PM
24,000 and a 30 incher...I think...:rolleyes: its a beast to fill.
24,000 is a good size pool. You must back flush it alot if you haven't replaced the sand yet. Yes, it is a chore but it's best to do it before the sand turns to what those in the industry call "concrete". Then you have to pretty much replace the whole filter, and that is much more expensive for that size pool.
Yall ask away, I have alot of experience in pools and have thought about starting up my own maintenance company.:cool:

PPSTATEBOUND
06-25-2009, 12:17 PM
24,000 is a good size pool. You must back flush it alot if you haven't replaced the sand yet. Yes, it is a chore but it's best to do it before the sand turns to what those in the industry call "concrete". Then you have to pretty much replace the whole filter, and that is much more expensive for that size pool.
Yall ask away, I have alot of experience in pools and have thought about starting up my own maintenance company.:cool:

CONCRETE>>>>>Oh man, yeah I backflush only when it acts as if it needs it, then it pumps fine.... like new.....So when It starts turning to concrete what are the signs?????

PPSTATEBOUND
06-25-2009, 12:19 PM
I had to to take it apart for I forgot why but when trying to put the long thing back down in the sand....OMG was it a fight.....any suggestions on how to make that easier....I thought of turning it on its side..is that the trick?...

SintonFan
06-25-2009, 12:50 PM
CONCRETE>>>>>Oh man, yeah I backflush only when it acts as if it needs it, then it pumps fine.... like new.....So when It starts turning to concrete what are the signs?????
Lowered flow is the first sign.
The easiest way to replace or reinstall the "ribs" is to use a large wet/dry shop vac to suck it out or shovel out as much sand as possible(but that is more labor intensive). Keep a tarp nearby to place the sand on. If the sand won't vacuum out that is another indication to replace it.

LLM_1331
06-25-2009, 12:52 PM
I have big in inground pool and I have no problem with it as long as I spend 5 minute's on it every other day. My pool is chlorine. I have heard a lot of pro's and con's on salt water pool's. The main thing that made me go with chlorine is the cost of salt water pool's when something break's. The valve's are very expensive with salt water. The acid is usually the hardest thing to keep straight. During the summer I add one chlorine tablet in both drain's and 3 or 4 tablet's in the float. I also have well water with lot's of calcium in it. We have a colored bottom not white. If you start to get algea growing in it dump a gallon of chlorox bleach in it. It will not hurt anything.

SintonFan
06-25-2009, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by LLM_1331
I have big in inground pool and I have no problem with it as long as I spend 5 minute's on it every other day. My pool is chlorine. I have heard a lot of pro's and con's on salt water pool's. The main thing that made me go with chlorine is the cost of salt water pool's when something break's. The valve's are very expensive with salt water. The acid is usually the hardest thing to keep straight. During the summer I add one chlorine tablet in both drain's and 3 or 4 tablet's in the float. I also have well water with lot's of calcium in it. We have a colored bottom not white. If you start to get algea growing in it dump a gallon of chlorox bleach in it. It will not hurt anything.
One gallon for every 4-5000 gallons water is an effective shock. I have turned nasty "green pools" using that method, then flock and vacuum. Works great!
The hardest thing to get rid of is black algae. It also eats the plaster from in ground pools.
Don't forget to brush the sides every two weeks. That single act helps tremendously against all kinds of problems.

Ranger Mom
06-25-2009, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
Is that next to the "MAN CAVE", if it is becareful who he has over for beer!:D

;)

P.S. Very nice pool!:)

The pool is in the southwest corner of the fence and the man cave is in the southeast corner of the fence.

We discussed where to put the "cotton trailer" when it becomes available.

He picked his spot and was telling me how he was gonna build all these shelves for me to store all my Christmas stuff on so I don't have to keep it in the house.

I think he has lost site of what his man cave is supposed to be about!!

:D

BwdLion73
06-25-2009, 01:50 PM
I have a 30" deep Walmart...............never mind :p

however we have it sitting on a hill on some land we own out in the country and it is perfect for sitting in with an adult beverage!

Just have to keep the deer out of it. ;)

garciap77
06-25-2009, 06:40 PM
The pool is in the southwest corner of the fence and the man cave is in the southeast corner of the fence.

We discussed where to put the "cotton trailer" when it becomes available.

He picked his spot and was telling me how he was gonna build all these shelves for me to store all my Christmas stuff on so I don't have to keep it in the house.

I think he has lost site of what his man cave is supposed to be about!!

:D

LOL! Maybe we can have a M and G when he gets his Cave setup!:D

SintonFan
06-25-2009, 09:33 PM
Update for nasty pools:
Use 4 gallons for every 5-10,000 gallons of water, depending on how green it is.
If you can't see the bottom use 4 gallons liquid chlorine for every 5000 gallons, clean the filter everyday during this process, use flock the next week and vacuum it the week after that. Your pool will be clear again. Please maintain regular chlorine levels throughout this process because the level will go down.
If you can see the bottom but have a green, cloudy pool use 4 gallons for every 10,000 gallons and follow the rest of the instructions above.

Ranger Mom
06-25-2009, 11:28 PM
Update for nasty pools:
Use 4 gallons for every 5-10,000 gallons of water, depending on how green it is.
If you can't see the bottom use 4 gallons liquid chlorine for every 5000 gallons, clean the filter everyday during this process, use flock the next week and vacuum it the week after that. Your pool will be clear again. Please maintain regular chlorine levels throughout this process because the level will go down.
If you can see the bottom but have a green, cloudy pool use 4 gallons for every 10,000 gallons and follow the rest of the instructions above.

Can you swim in it at that time, or do you have to wait 3 weeks?

lulu
06-25-2009, 11:58 PM

Don't you have to change out some equipment to change to salt instead of chlorine. I have a 15 x 30 inground liner pool and want to change but was told I had to replace some things. I have an auto chlorinator and my filters are the barrel pleated kind. I don't have much trouble as long as my PH and alkilinity stay up in normal range. Add a little soad if it gets low and turn down the chlorine and it balances right out. But I would still like to convert to salt, any suggestions?

Emerson1
06-26-2009, 12:03 AM
My friend has a salt pool. It's so much better than chlorine.

I like our pool though, we put Shock in it. No smell or anything on your skin when you get out.

PPHSfan
06-26-2009, 08:10 AM
We have a pool boy. I know he does a great job, and puts in lot's of hours for the money. Almost every time I come home from the road he is there in my living room sitting in my chair.

Ranger Mom
06-26-2009, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by lulu
Don't you have to change out some equipment to change to salt instead of chlorine. I have a 15 x 30 inground liner pool and want to change but was told I had to replace some things. I have an auto chlorinator and my filters are the barrel pleated kind. I don't have much trouble as long as my PH and alkilinity stay up in normal range. Add a little soad if it gets low and turn down the chlorine and it balances right out. But I would still like to convert to salt, any suggestions?

There is some kind of cell thing you are supposed to have. I took a chance and just threw salt in mine without it.

Like I said, my brother's water is very salty and it hasn't hurt his equipment in the 5 years since he had it. If I have to replace my pump and sand filter every 5 years I will consider myself lucky.

They way it has been now, we replace the pump on average every 2 years because of the calcium buildup in it. same with the liner.

SintonFan
06-26-2009, 09:50 AM
Can you swim in it at that time, or do you have to wait 3 weeks?
I would wait until the pool has cleared up completely and after you use the flock. Would you go swimming in a green pool?:D

SintonFan
06-26-2009, 10:05 AM
Walmart has started selling a "budget" salt pool chlorinator for $200. I believe that one is for smaller above ground pools and I have no idea about it's reliability. The price makes that a very attractive option though.
The price to convert to a salt pool starts at over $1000 with having a professional company install it. The better salt chlorinators are pricey but they are also fully automated, with one drawback. You have to acid dip the T-cells(the electric chlorinator) every three months or it could stop working and then you WILL see a green pool. Hayward makes a good one. Most salt pools work just fine with the Aqua rite system. Follow this link and click on "Aqua Rite™ & Aqua Rite™ XL Salt Chlorination": Hayward (http://www.haywardnet.com/inground/products/chlorinators/)
One of my neighbors is seriously considering installing the Wal-Mart chlorinator, if he does I'll be the one installing it and can give you an update.
lulu, because you have cartridge filters make sure you buy only quality ones. Never ever buy ones from Wally world or the cheapies at Leslie Pool Supplies. Stick with Hayward, the extra money is worth it as the pool will be clearer and the filters will last much longer. Do you have a single filter cartridge or a quad setup?

Ranger Mom
06-26-2009, 10:19 AM
I would wait until the pool has cleared up completely and after you use the flock. Would you go swimming in a green pool?:D

No....that is why I asked! Who wants to wait 3 weeks to swim??

I am curious to see how much I screw up my pool! We have already decided to see how this summer goes.

We have been talking about putting an inground pool in....but I would rather not! I don't see where we use it enough to justify the cost. Last night was the first time my husband has even been in it this year. My granddaughter and I are the ones who swim all the time....neither one of us care that it isn't 8' deep!

pirate4state
06-26-2009, 10:34 AM
After reading through all this I'm glad I don't have to worry about a pool.

I also had no idea SintonFan was a pool man!

Ranger Mom
06-26-2009, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state

LOL!! In my researching "salt water pools" they said you won't find many "pool men" who many good things to say about them.

Supposedly when people go with the "salt water" pools....the pool men with all their chemicals become like the Maytag repairman....OBSOLETE!!!

:D :D :D

SintonFan
06-26-2009, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state

Hello!!!!
The official title is pool boy...
I dance the little cabana dance for Denise all the time!!:D

SintonFan
06-26-2009, 10:51 AM
No....that is why I asked! Who wants to wait 3 weeks to swim??

I am curious to see how much I screw up my pool! We have already decided to see how this summer goes.

We have been talking about putting an inground pool in....but I would rather not! I don't see where we use it enough to justify the cost. Last night was the first time my husband has even been in it this year. My granddaughter and I are the ones who swim all the time....neither one of us care that it isn't 8' deep!
The water could be clear before that time if you shorten the time between shock, flock and vacuum by a few days each.
K, that Wal-mart chlorinator might by right for your pool. But if you have too much salt in your pool it won't work properly. You're not actually supposed to actually taste the salt.:D
The downside for folks with hard water salt pools is they would have to acid dip the chlorinator more often because of the calcium deposited on the mechanism.
Get your well water and pool water tested if you want and I'll help you plan an attack for the best possible water.

Ranger Mom
06-26-2009, 11:03 AM
The water could be clear before that time if you shorten the time between shock, flock and vacuum by a few days each.
K, that Wal-mart chlorinator might by right for your pool. But if you have too much salt in your pool it won't work properly. You're not actually supposed to actually taste the salt.:D
The downside for folks with hard water salt pools is they would have to acid dip the chlorinator more often because of the calcium deposited on the mechanism.
Get your well water and pool water tested if you want and I'll help you plan an attack for the best possible water.

Every salt water pool I have swam in you could taste the salt!

It wasn't enough that it burned your eyes...but you could still taste the saltiness of it....kinda like tears.

The pool we swam in at the Embassy Suite's in Austin was very salty.

This wasn't something I just jumped into in the spur of the moment....I did research, I talked to people who put salt in with no chlorinator, and found out more people were extremely happy with it than not.

When I feel I am on to something....all the "facts" in the world aren't gonna change my mind. I have to make that mistake myself!!

SintonFan
06-26-2009, 11:15 AM

It wasn't enough that it burned your eyes...but you could still taste the saltiness of it....kinda like tears.

The pool we swam in at the Embassy Suite's in Austin was very salty.

This wasn't something I just jumped into in the spur of the moment....I did research, I talked to people who put salt in with no chlorinator, and found out more people were extremely happy with it than not.

When I feel I am on to something....all the "facts" in the world aren't gonna change my mind. I have to make that mistake myself!!
lol
I'm only trying to hep.:)

Ranger Mom
06-26-2009, 11:22 AM
lol
I'm only trying to hep.:)

Geez D! Your "help" (while appreciated) seems like a LOT of extra work!!!:p

lulu
06-26-2009, 01:00 PM
Walmart has started selling a "budget" salt pool chlorinator for $200. I believe that one is for smaller above ground pools and I have no idea about it's reliability. The price makes that a very attractive option though.
The price to convert to a salt pool starts at over $1000 with having a professional company install it. The better salt chlorinators are pricey but they are also fully automated, with one drawback. You have to acid dip the T-cells(the electric chlorinator) every three months or it could stop working and then you WILL see a green pool. Hayward makes a good one. Most salt pools work just fine with the Aqua rite system. Follow this link and click on "Aqua Rite™ & Aqua Rite™ XL Salt Chlorination": Hayward (http://www.haywardnet.com/inground/products/chlorinators/)
One of my neighbors is seriously considering installing the Wal-Mart chlorinator, if he does I'll be the one installing it and can give you an update.
lulu, because you have cartridge filters make sure you buy only quality ones. Never ever buy ones from Wally world or the cheapies at Leslie Pool Supplies. Stick with Hayward, the extra money is worth it as the pool will be clearer and the filters will last much longer. Do you have a single filter cartridge or a quad setup?

My system has 2 filters....Hayward. They are about six years old and we clean them at least yearly, sometime more frequently. We keep the pool open year round and do not cover it. I enjoy it too much to cover it. I can tell by the way the water is moving or not moving in this case if the filters are clogged.

Really am trying to get hubby to try the salt deal. I know it works great for small above ground pools. Keep me up with the scoop please.

SintonFan
06-26-2009, 11:41 PM

I will not discount your opinion, but if the level of salt is too high in a salt pool then the "T-Cell" will trigger the local breaker. The higher the salinity the more current the T-Cell uses. The average T-Cell should draw about 5-6 amps. Anything over 7, 7.5+ amps will make the whole salt chlorinating system shut down. The pump will still work but the chlorinater won't.
I have been in many true salt pools and I couldn't taste the salt. I have talked to a few folks who could "tell" but I thought they were crazy.:D

SintonFan
06-26-2009, 11:44 PM
LOL!! In my researching "salt water pools" they said you won't find many "pool men" who many good things to say about them.

Supposedly when people go with the "salt water" pools....the pool men with all their chemicals become like the Maytag repairman....OBSOLETE!!!

:D :D :D
You still have to maintain proper pH and Alkalinity levels or you will void your warranty for most products.:(

Ranger Mom
06-27-2009, 08:55 AM
You still have to maintain proper pH and Alkalinity levels or you will void your warranty for most products.:(

We voided the entire warranty on the pool when we put it in the ground. In fact, the pool we bought we got from Sears. They are out of the pool business, so we aren't even able to buy anything for the pool itself anymore. It is literally held together in some places by duct tape..lol.

The only other thing that we might ruin would be the pump....those aren't THAT expensive to replace....we have had about 4 now.

For some reason, I am not one who is big on warranties. I never buy an extended one, I just take my chances.......I guess I like living on the edge!!!

:D :D

Trashman
06-27-2009, 09:00 AM
For some reason, I am not one who is big on warranties. I never buy an extended one, I just take my chances.......I guess I like living on the edge!!!

Extended warranties are for people who are bad at math. I never buy them either.:D

Trashman
06-27-2009, 07:18 PM
Here is my take on salt water pools. I have an above ground pool 24 x 52". I used city water for several years before having a well drilled. The well water is slightly salty and the first year I cut my chemical use by 2/3. I have not used pool salt but after reading the above if the salt is cheaper than what little chlorine I'm using now, I will switch to all salt.

lulu
06-28-2009, 08:01 AM
I will not discount your opinion, but if the level of salt is too high in a salt pool then the "T-Cell" will trigger the local breaker. The higher the salinity the more current the T-Cell uses. The average T-Cell should draw about 5-6 amps. Anything over 7, 7.5+ amps will make the whole salt chlorinating system shut down. The pump will still work but the chlorinater won't.
I have been in many true salt pools and I couldn't taste the salt. I have talked to a few folks who could "tell" but I thought they were crazy.:D

The Hayward site says their cell reverses polarity (sp) ever so often so you don't have to worry about acid dipping or too much salt.

Can you really just add salt to a chlorine pool and not ruin your pumps and filters? I think I don't understand. Do I turn off my chlorinator? Think I probably would if the salt is making chlorine.
One must add the Turbo Cell..Right?

SWMustang
06-28-2009, 12:53 PM
The Hayward site says their cell reverses polarity (sp) ever so often so you don't have to worry about acid dipping or too much salt.

Can you really just add salt to a chlorine pool and not ruin your pumps and filters? I think I don't understand. Do I turn off my chlorinator? Think I probably would if the salt is making chlorine.
One must add the Turbo Cell..Right?

That is correct - it does have reverse polarity, but there is a range of salt that it works within 2700 - 3400 ppm (parts per million) I've Acid dipped my T-cell twice in three years and both times I didn't see any scale build up inside the cell. If you keep the chems in line and don't have scale on pool tiles you proabably won't have any in the cell.

The salt will not ruin your filters or pump. They use the same filters and pumps in salt/no salt pools without issue. I'm guessing you have an inline chlorinator that the tablets drop into? If you had the turbo cell installed you would not need to run that chlorinator.

Salt by itself does not make chlorine without the T-cell. The T-cell shocks the salt and breaks down the Sodium Chloride to make chlorine. I've heard of people putting salt in a pool for the way the water feels.

As Mentioned, Depending on the brand of T-cell, the amount of Salt you put in the pool will vary. Mine (Aquarite) needs between 3000 and 3400ppm (parts per million). I've seen some cheaper lesser known brands that require 5000ppm.

I tried to look up some data on the salt water system from Wal Mart. It looks like it's for above ground pools only and I can't find anything about the max capacity in relation to pool size or the salt level recommendations.

SWMustang
06-28-2009, 01:00 PM
Buying tip:

Here's a link to a total system from Leslies. This is for a 25K gallon pool and there's a 50 dollar rebate. making the total 930.

link (http://www.lesliespool.com/browse/Home/Salt-Systems/Systems/Swimpure-Controller-15K-Cell/D/30100/P/1:100:7000:700000/I/81245)

Just the cell by itslef is 459 for a 25K pool.

lulu
06-28-2009, 02:22 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SWMustang
Buying tip:

Here's a link to a total system from Leslies. This is for a 25K gallon pool and there's a 50 dollar rebate. making the total 930.

link (http://www.lesliespool.com/browse/Home/Salt-Systems/Systems/Swimpure-Controller-15K-Cell/D/30100/P/1:100:7000:700000/I/81245)

Just the cell by itslef is 459 for a 25K pool. [/QUOTE

Ok ..to the present. I presently have a high normal TA and a low PH...how do I correct this? I also have a small amount of stain due to the TA being High for a period of time but I am hesitant to add acid at this point becase the PH is already low and TA
bodering on high.

Need to get this PH and TA in tact. Don't know what to use to raise that PH and not effect the Alkilinity. Help?

Just did a stick ..chlorine running very high even though we have the chlorinator turned low. We just turned it down some more hoping to correct some of the numbers. Bromine high too.
Why would bromine even show up on stick? We use chlorine

loboes86
06-28-2009, 02:43 PM
Poolcenter.com has some good info on pools and water treatments.

lulu
06-28-2009, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by loboes86
Poolcenter.com has some good info on pools and water treatments.

thank you...will look

SWMustang
06-28-2009, 03:03 PM
Buying tip:

Ok ..to the present. I presently have a high normal TA and a low PH...how do I correct this? I also have a small amount of stain due to the TA being High for a period of time but I am hesitant to add acid at this point becase the PH is already low and TA
bodering on high.

Need to get this PH and TA in tact. Don't know what to use to raise that PH and not effect the Alkilinity. Help?

Just did a stick ..chlorine running very high even though we have the chlorinator turned low. We just turned it down some more hoping to correct some of the numbers. Bromine high too.

That's kind of a pain in the arse to remedy, but aerating the water by means of a waterfall, aiming the return jets up or using a compressor to shoot water up out of the pool will raise the PH. You want to raise it up to 7.8 then lower it to 7.2 with muriatic acid. This will bring the TA down but it's going to take several cycles to get it there.

Test strips are referred to as Guess Strips due to the inaccuracy. I would use a DPD drop test kit to give you actual numbers.

Is this a rust color stain? I would cut up an orange (or crush some viamin c tabs)and rub the stain with it. If it's metal, the ascobic acid from the orange will take it away. If you rub it with a chlorine tab and it goes away that would indicate something organic as opposed to metal. I don't know that we can be certain that the stain is there as a result of the low PH.

Bromine is used in hot tubs because it doesn't break down in high temps like chlorine. The test for chlorine is the same for bromine so that's why it shows up.

SintonFan
06-28-2009, 03:38 PM
Buying tip:

bodering on high.

You can use 20 Mule Team Borax to raise Ph with raising alkalinity. I've used it and it is much cheaper than the store bought ones. It's a water softener too. I would use muriatic acid to lower the alk and borax to raise only the Ph. I done that to many pools. Works great. How high is your alk?

SintonFan
06-28-2009, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
That's kind of a pain in the arse to remedy, but aerating the water by means of a waterfall, aiming the return jets up or using a compressor to shoot water up out of the pool will raise the PH. You want to raise it up to 7.8 then lower it to 7.2 with muriatic acid. This will bring the TA down but it's going to take several cycles to get it there.

Test strips are referred to as Guess Strips due to the inaccuracy. I would use a DPD drop test kit to give you actual numbers.

Is this a rust color stain? I would cut up an orange (or crush some viamin c tabs)and rub the stain with it. If it's metal, the ascobic acid from the orange will take it away. If you rub it with a chlorine tab and it goes away that would indicate something organic as opposed to metal. I don't know that we can be certain that the stain is there as a result of the low PH.

Bromine is used in hot tubs because it doesn't break down in high temps like chlorine. The test for chlorine is the same for bromine so that's why it shows up.
Very good info on naturally raising Ph. Directional jets are very helpful for this. I use that and Borax for my Dad's pool. He sometimes still uses his well water and the Ph level of that water doesn't even show up on chemical tests. The Borax get's you very fast results. I think 2 pounds for every 10,000 gallons get you a 2 point rise.

lulu
06-28-2009, 04:45 PM
I think I will try the Borax. I just happen to use that in my laundry.

You guys are just full of good hints.

SWMustang
06-28-2009, 06:04 PM
and if you know your numbers - this is a good place to find out how much you need of what-

http://thepoolcalculator.com/

lulu
06-29-2009, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by SWMustang
and if you know your numbers - this is a good place to find out how much you need of what-

http://thepoolcalculator.com/

Hey that's a great little tool. Thanx. Tell me what the kit is called that gives you all the numbers. I think I can probably buy it at a pool store? Approx. cost?

You are just a wealth of knowledge. I'm learning. I don't usually do the chemical thing but with Hubby gone 14 to 15 hours a day right now I'm trying to pick up his slack and have him not have to worry about it. LULU

PPSTATEBOUND
06-29-2009, 09:33 AM
We voided the entire warranty on the pool when we put it in the ground. In fact, the pool we bought we got from Sears. They are out of the pool business, so we aren't even able to buy anything for the pool itself anymore. It is literally held together in some places by duct tape..lol.

The only other thing that we might ruin would be the pump....those aren't THAT expensive to replace....we have had about 4 now.

Hey ranger mom, are you replacing just the pump electric motor part????, if so..this might help, my pump stays under a deck during the year........... the last two years, it acts like it does not want to start, flip switch nothing just a buzz, well I was curious last year and took the motor off...soaked it with WD40 hand spun it a few times....let it soak somemore and wallA...it went to working.....had the same problem this year...I thought it was dead...a litle WD..and a good soak and WallA...the sucka is up and running again on its 7th year..I plan on taking the electric motor of the pump off this year and presoaking before the winter months and leaving it in the house, until spring...hope that helped....

44INAROW
06-29-2009, 09:56 AM
Hello!!!!
The official title is pool boy...
I dance the little cabana dance for Denise all the time!!:D

Waiting on video of that :p

SintonFan
07-03-2009, 11:27 AM
Hey ranger mom, are you replacing just the pump electric motor part????, if so..this might help, my pump stays under a deck during the year........... the last two years, it acts like it does not want to start, flip switch nothing just a buzz, well I was curious last year and took the motor off...soaked it with WD40 hand spun it a few times....let it soak somemore and wallA...it went to working.....had the same problem this year...I thought it was dead...a litle WD..and a good soak and WallA...the sucka is up and running again on its 7th year..I plan on taking the electric motor of the pump off this year and presoaking before the winter months and leaving it in the house, until spring...hope that helped....
It sounds like your startup capacitor might be weak.:nerd:

SintonFan
07-03-2009, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
Waiting on video of that :p
Oh GOD no!:eek: :(

SintonFan
07-03-2009, 05:24 PM
I checked at the local Wal-Mart and the budget chlorinator they sell is good for up to around 14,500 gallons.

lulu
07-05-2009, 10:48 AM
Used the borax...one and one half pound. All my STUFF in fallling into place..or at least it seems to be.
PH coming up chlorine and alkinility coming down. I barely have the chlorinator on right now. We'll see what happens in the next few days.

Gonna get one of those test kits that show real numbers.

crabman
07-05-2009, 11:14 AM
In case you are curious, the salt level in a salt water pool runs around 3000 parts per million. Sea water from the bay or the Gulf is around 35,000 parts per million so it is really not that salty.

The Sodium Chloride passes over the cell that is a series of Direct Current electric plates and it turns to Sodium Hypochlorite which is the same thing as in a bottle of Clorox. When it comes in contact with bacteria or body oil in the water the byproduct of the reaction is Sodium Chloride and the whole thing starts over again. That is why you never have to add salt or chlorine.

The only problem I have had with my pool is a lack of stabilizer or Cyanuratic Acid. That keeps the chlorine from evaporating or "boiling off" without ever getting to do its job. Sunny days are the worst. Since I have kept an eye on that, everything works fine. I have had our pool for four years now and have replaced a Polaris pump but that had nothing to do with salinity.

Some people can taste a very slight salty taste but most don't detect anything in the water. I like the way you feel when you get out of a salt water pool. Nice and smooth.