PDA

View Full Version : Hot Dogs...How You Like Yours?

Bullaholic
06-25-2009, 10:59 AM
Being it is close to the 4th of July, I thought maybe a thread devoted to that great American food institution---the hot dog---was in order. So who has the best dogs in the country? How do you like yours? I think we can include brats, Eckrich, etc. in this thread. Comments on buns, bun preparation, and things put on the dogs would be of interest also.....

BTW---In view of the directions of some of the discussions lately, I'm going to ask that there be no thread pirating with off-color "weiner" comments and the like. Let's try to show everyone we really are normal----:D

Ranger Mom
06-25-2009, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Let's try to show everyone we really are normal----:D

So you are asking us to lie???:devil:

crzyjournalist03
06-25-2009, 11:02 AM
All-beef franks cooked on the grill so that their outsides crack slightly. Put it on a bun with mustard, chili, and shredded cheese and call it good.

Bullaholic
06-25-2009, 11:08 AM
I never got a chance to try any of the legendary dogs served up in the great stadiums like Yakee Stadium and the like or many of the big cities---so what is the diff between a NY and a Chicago or a Philly dog?

Bullaholic
06-25-2009, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
So you are asking us to lie???:devil:

O.k, RM,----don't you holler when you have to type tons of red text after editing some posts....:D

crzyjournalist03
06-25-2009, 11:14 AM
I never got a chance to try any of the legendary dogs served up in the great stadiums like Yakee Stadium and the like or many of the big cities---so what is the diff between a NY and a Chicago or a Philly dog?

I know that a "Chicago dog" is very strict in what condiments you use.

A real Chicago dog is an all-beef hot dog and has mustard, sweet relish, and onions. If you add ketchup or any other condiments, it can't be called a Chicago Dog...I saw that on Food Network a couple of weeks ago

I. B. Watching
06-25-2009, 11:18 AM
I want some burned grill spots on mine. And a strip of mustard.

ronwx5x
06-25-2009, 11:18 AM
Eckrich smoked sausage, mustard, onions, and chili if available. I can eat them without chili and enjoy just as much.

Also love Johnsonville brats cooked on the grill, mustard, sauerkraut, and onions.

:clap: :clap:

pirate4state
06-25-2009, 11:19 AM
I never got a chance to try any of the legendary dogs served up in the great stadiums like Yakee Stadium and the like or many of the big cities---so what is the diff between a NY and a Chicago or a Philly dog? I had a hot dog from a street vendor in NYC. Not bad, not bad. I went plain with just mustard.

At home, I prefer a grilled all beef frank, mustard, chili, more mustard and I'm good! :)

Oh, gotta have Ruffles.

44INAROW
06-25-2009, 11:29 AM
good topic Bull ;)

I prefer my hotdog weiners BEEF and
grilled - almost to the "black" condition.. I recently discovered Hebrew Nationals and I love them. I prefer the traditional mayo with a little bit of mustard with REAL chili (non of that canned stuff for me but my kids won't eat anything BUT the canned chili..) and a touch of cheese and onions. If I get a hot dog at a ball game and the kitchen looks pretty clean, I'll get sauerkraut on it too ;)

jason
06-25-2009, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW

so you like your weiners black, huh....

SintonFan
06-25-2009, 11:31 AM
All beef with nice grill mark. A touch of mayo, onions, sweet relish and sauerkraut. Onions, chili and cheese is pretty good too.

pirate4state
06-25-2009, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by jason
so you like your weiners black, huh.... ROFL :tisk:

Ranger Mom
06-25-2009, 11:34 AM
If I don't have chili, then I won't eat a hot dog!!

Sweetwater Red
06-25-2009, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
All-beef franks cooked on the grill so that their outsides crack slightly. Put it on a bun with mustard, chili, and shredded cheese and call it good.

crzyjournalist03
06-25-2009, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Ditto on the grill marks. Two franks, one bun, mustard, chili, onions, cheese, ketchup(in that order).
Or...
package of jalapeno and cheese brats, simmered in beer and then grilled, package of tortillas,and a bottle of ketchup; and go to town!

Two dogs on one bun?

Reminds me of the scene in Blades of Glory where the vendor asks "Does this look natural to you?"

waterboy
06-25-2009, 11:53 AM
If I don't have chili, then I won't eat a hot dog!!
:rolleyes: No.......because it would THEN be called a CHILI dog! Duh!:p

:D

For hot dogs, I like all-beef weiners cooked just enough to where the skin cracks, with a strip of mustard, sweet relish, and lots of onions. For chili dogs, the same way with some good homemade chili, preferrably, with a little shredded cheddar on top. I also like the all-beef smoked sausage the same way as the chili dog, except without the chili.:)

Bullaholic
06-25-2009, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by jason
so you like your weiners black, huh....

There went the neighborhood....

piratebg
06-25-2009, 12:47 PM
I'm not picky about my franks so long as they are not turkey. Just top it with mustard, chili, cheese, and I'm good.

Sweetwater Red
06-25-2009, 12:50 PM

DukeNukem
06-25-2009, 02:54 PM
my favorite is still an original wienerschnitzel chili cheese dog. i remember in college when you could get like 8 for $6.

now there like 6 for $10.

Gsquared
06-25-2009, 02:54 PM
Being it is close to the 4th of July, I thought maybe a thread devoted to that great American food institution---the hot dog---was in order. So who has the best dogs in the country? How do you like yours? I think we can include brats, Eckrich, etc. in this thread. Comments on buns, bun preparation, and things put on the dogs would be of interest also.....

BTW---In view of the directions of some of the discussions lately, I'm going to ask that there be no thread pirating with off-color "weiner" comments and the like. Let's try to show everyone we really are normal----:D
Buried deep

in a fire pit

pirate4state
06-25-2009, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Gsquared
Buried deep

in a fire pit

:spitlol: :D

Ranger Mom
06-25-2009, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
:rolleyes: No.......because it would THEN be called a CHILI dog! Duh!:p

:D

For hot dogs, I like all-beef weiners cooked just enough to where the skin cracks, with a strip of mustard, sweet relish, and lots of onions. For chili dogs, the same way with some good homemade chili, preferrably, with a little shredded cheddar on top. I also like the all-beef smoked sausage the same way as the chili dog, except without the chili.:)

I guess I don't eat hot dogs then!!

Sweetwater Red
06-25-2009, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Gsquared
Buried deep

in a fire pit

^^^This one^^^

Farmersfan
06-25-2009, 03:24 PM
A hotdog is waaaaaayyyyyy down the list for me. I can eat them but I much prefer a big juicy sirloin burger on a toasted bun with onion, lettuce, tomatoe, pickles with mustard on one bun and mayo on the other.

pirate4state
06-25-2009, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
A hotdog is waaaaaayyyyyy down the list for me. I can eat them but I much prefer a big juicy sirloin burger on a toasted bun with onion, lettuce, tomatoe, pickles with mustard on one bun and mayo on the other. OMG! Mustard being separate from mayo gets you major kudos in my book. I know you've been dying for p4s kudos. HAHA

Farmersfan
06-25-2009, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
OMG! Mustard being separate from mayo gets you major kudos in my book. I know you've been dying for p4s kudos. HAHA

Now I can die in peace!!!!

Ranger Mom
06-25-2009, 03:34 PM

Do you have a food touching food phobia??

pirate4state
06-25-2009, 03:35 PM

I'm glad I could help you with that. :thumbsup: buh bye now

Farmersfan
06-25-2009, 03:51 PM
Do you have a food touching food phobia??

I'm ok with food touching food but mayo on one side and mustard on the other side of a burger is close to like an 11th Commandment or something........ Sweet & spicy. Hummmmmmmm!

Farmersfan
06-25-2009, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I'm glad I could help you with that. :thumbsup: buh bye now

"Woah, Big Gulps, huh? All right! Well, see ya later."

GreenMonster
06-25-2009, 04:15 PM

I like my hot dogs just like I like my shrimp, DEVEINED!!! (insert rim shot here) :devil: