PDA

View Full Version : Fleas

Farmersfan
06-24-2009, 01:47 PM
Anyone having a problem with Sand Fleas now? Every year it seems the dreaded Sand Fleas show up just overnight. I spray! I put down poisons! I bomb the house twice a week! Hell I even spread D.E. powder on the grass. It seems nothing works. In about two or three weeks they will be gone. Anyone else having issues?

Ranger Mom
06-24-2009, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
Anyone having a problem with Sand Fleas now? Every year it seems the dreaded Sand Fleas show up just overnight. I spray! I put down poisons! I bomb the house twice a week! Hell I even spread D.E. powder on the grass. It seems nothing works. In about two or three weeks they will be gone. Anyone else having issues?

What the heck is a sand flea?

Farmersfan
06-24-2009, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
What the heck is a sand flea?

They look like any other flea I have ever seen. The guys at the feedstore called them sand fleas.

Ranger Mom
06-24-2009, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
They look like any other flea I have ever seen. The guys at the feedstore called them sand fleas.

Hmm..never heard of them!

Our problem here isn't fleas...but ticks!!

waterboy
06-24-2009, 04:05 PM
In East Texas, it's fire ants and mosquitoes that are major problems. You can slow the fire ants down with poison, but you can't eradicate them. Mosquitoes, on the hand, are even harder to get rid of. You can control them somewhat, but they are ridiculously resilient, and unless you can get all the bodies of water treated they will always be a problem.:( Sand fleas are rare, and ticks are bad in some of the deep woods, but not as bad as they once were.

SintonFan
06-24-2009, 05:25 PM
Hmm..never heard of them!

Our problem here isn't fleas...but ticks!!
Same here!
I've tried different kinds of poison and the nasty buggers are still everywhere!:mad:

Farmersfan
06-25-2009, 07:58 AM
I've had a lot of people tell me the last couple of days that D.E. (Diatomaceous earth) powder would get rid of insects in the lawn. I was also told to get Nimotoads (sp) to put on the lawn and they would kill and eat all other insects. If I remember last year correctly all the problems should be gone in a couple of week so a long term solution won't help much. Any insights?

Ranger Mom
06-25-2009, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Same here!
I've tried different kinds of poison and the nasty buggers are still everywhere!:mad:

The best "solution" I have found is to get a spray bottle that attaches to the water hose and put bleach in it...and bleach the grass, patios....I also spray their bedding, but it does leave some discoloring. They don't mind though!! :p

Only thing, you have to keep the animals off of it til the grass, bedding, etc. dries.

Then I give the dogs a flea and tick bath and spray 'em down with Adams flea and tick spray....that usually keeps them tick free for 3 weeks or so.

SintonFan
06-25-2009, 04:40 PM
The best "solution" I have found is to get a spray bottle that attaches to the water hose and put bleach in it...and bleach the grass, patios....I also spray their bedding, but it does leave some discoloring. They don't mind though!! :p

Only thing, you have to keep the animals off of it til the grass, bedding, etc. dries.

Then I give the dogs a flea and tick bath and spray 'em down with Adams flea and tick spray....that usually keeps them tick free for 3 weeks or so.
I'll try that. Does it matter if I spray my dog with it too? He's already a bleach blonde.;)

sinfan75
06-25-2009, 05:54 PM
If you go to the vet you can ask for flea tablets. Give the dog one each month. It starts killing fleas within 24 hrs. on the dog. In 3 months it wipes out the entire flea population in your yard. Same with ticks. The vet has tick collars also. They'll wipe out the ticks on your dog and since ticks love dogs your yard will be clear of em too within 3 months. Been using both since last summer and have had no problem with fleas or ticks. Both a little pricey well worth it. The name of the flea tablets is Comfortis. Don't remember the name of the tick collar.

LH Panther Mom
06-25-2009, 07:07 PM

When we would visit my grandparents in Arkansas, we would get ticks every summer and have to bathe in bleach water.

SintonFan
06-25-2009, 09:44 PM
Yato, dogs our dogs already has the good stuff @ $40 bucks for 3 pills from the vet. It hasn't helped much(ok, a little but the outside one still has ticks). I suspect our neighbors yard isn't helping. I spray the boundary between us constantly like a dog and a fire hydrant and still no relief.

Phil C
06-27-2009, 10:23 AM
We apply that Revolution once a month on our cat and he doesn't get fleas or mits. It is make for dogs or cats. You can get some from your local vetenerian. He/She will know what type to get for your pet.

Phil C
06-27-2009, 10:24 AM
The one you don't want to get big by is the red flea. It won't kill you but it will make you sick for about a day. Fortunately, there are not very many of them.