PDA

View Full Version : Sad story from Odessa

wildstangs
06-22-2009, 10:42 PM
ODESSA — Five people died after a pickup got stuck in a shallow pond and sat with the engine running for several minutes while the truck was submerged just above the tailpipe, West Texas authorities said Monday.

Ector County sheriff’s spokesman Sgt. Gary Duesler said witnesses called 911 Sunday evening and had to smash a truck window before pulling unconscious victims from the truck.

“It wasn’t a drowning,” Duesler said. “The whole thing was probably less than 48 inches of water clear across the whole pond. If they’d have gotten out, they could have probably walked out. But who knows why they didn’t.”

Duesler said exhaust would most likely enter the cab of the pickup through air vents once the tailpipe was under water, but he said authorities didn’t want to speculate on the causes of death. At a news conference in Odessa, Ector County Sheriff Mark Donaldson said the bodies were sent to the Tarrant County medical examiner for autopsies.

Duesler said the incident happened when the victims were apparently “mudding,” where people try to drive vehicles through shallow pools created by heavy rainfall.

The accident occurred at a small horseracing track a few miles south of Odessa, and Duesler said authorities believe the truck sat in the water “anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes” before anyone realized the occupants might need help.

He said emergency personnel intercepted one vehicle trying to take a female victim to the hospital. That woman was pronounced dead at the scene, and the other four were pronounced dead within an hour of being taken to an Odessa hospital, Duesler said.

Txbroadcaster
06-22-2009, 10:54 PM
sad..and kinda a WTH were they thinking as well

95mustang
06-23-2009, 12:13 AM
The passengers may not have had to much time to think. Carbon Monoxide is an extremely dangerous gas. Most vehicles have a CO concentration of 7,000 ppm which can cause headaches, dizzyness, and confusion within 1 to 2 minutes and death in < 20 minutes. If the levels were higher around 12,000 ppm the passengers could become unconscious in just a few breaths with death resulting in minutes.

If I had to guess the vehicle was probably a bigger truck that could have easily had more than the 7,000 ppm concentration.

This is a sad incident all the way around.

bwdlionfan
06-23-2009, 12:58 AM
You can't smell carbon monoxide can you?

mustang04
06-23-2009, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan
You can't smell carbon monoxide can you?

nope ya can not.....it and H2S are pretty bad stuff.....H@S is different cus you can smell it under a certain ppm...but once it goes over that it deadens your olfactory nerves and then you're pretty much screwed

Ranger Mom
06-23-2009, 08:34 AM
When I first heard of this on the news this morning my first thought was, "darn kids."

Come to find out the ages were 3 in their 40's one in their 30's and a 19 y/o.

waterboy
06-23-2009, 09:22 AM
This is really tragic. I think people need to be educated about carbon monoxide if they are gonna "mud-dog". I don't think these people had any idea they were being overcome by the carbon monoxide fumes. I'm just surprised they didn't have their windows down, or didn't get out and wade to dry land.:(

Ranger Mom
06-23-2009, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by waterboy
This is really tragic. I think people need to be educated about carbon monoxide if they are gonna "mud-dog". I don't think these people had any idea they were being overcome by the carbon monoxide fumes. I'm just surprised they didn't have their windows down, or get out and wade to dry land.:(

The puddle they were in was about 4 ft deep...but it wasn't a big puddle (area wise) AT ALL!!

waterboy
06-23-2009, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
The puddle they were in was about 4 ft deep...but it wasn't a big puddle (area wise) AT ALL!!
The only thing I can figure is they were already being overcome with the carbon monoxide before they got stuck. Otherwise, they would've probably went ahead and tried to make it to dry land........at least one or two of them would've. I can't believe they had their windows up with the truck still running. I know, if it had been me, I would've at least rolled down the windows and tried to make it to dry land. This was just a preventable tragedy in my opinion.

Ranger Mom
06-23-2009, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by waterboy
This was just a preventable tragedy in my opinion.

Most definitely!!

lepfan
06-24-2009, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
The puddle they were in was about 4 ft deep...but it wasn't a big puddle (area wise) AT ALL!! Puddles??? In west Texas???? That is as shocking as the story.

Ranger Mom
06-24-2009, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by lepfan
Puddles??? In west Texas???? That is as shocking as the story.

I know!!! We got an inch of rain!!! WOO HOO!!

On a more somber note...I heard this morning that preliminary autopsy reports confirm that all 5 died of carbon monoxide poisoning.

I wondered why they didn't turn the engine off, but an eyewitness has said they were still trying to get out of the puddle the entire time until they passed out, I guess!!