PDA

View Full Version : WoW!! "City asks applicants for Internet passwords "

HEMOTOXIC
06-22-2009, 02:20 AM
Wow, check this out!!

Applicants are being asked for their username and password for their online social networking affiliations.

http://tech.yahoo.com/news/ap/20090619/ap_on_hi_te/us_internet_background_checks

HEMOTOXIC
06-22-2009, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
So, what if you legitmately don't belong to any of them?

Why is it any of their business?

Trashman
06-22-2009, 06:48 AM
Bozeman is just asking for someone to bring a lawsuit against them. They should have the Idiot of the Week! :D

SWMustang
06-22-2009, 07:56 AM
I always looked people up on myspace/facebook etc to get an idea about an applicant. I never asked for passwords, but if you put that info out there there's nothing wrong with people looking you up.

Txbroadcaster
06-22-2009, 08:45 AM
one thing no one seems to be talking about

if you give someone ur password to myspacce or facebook, THEY can then change what they want on your profile. So this goes past privacy into them able to change things, send messages in your name and things like that

Ranger Mom
06-22-2009, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by SWMustang
I always looked people up on myspace/facebook etc to get an idea about an applicant. I never asked for passwords, but if you put that info out there there's nothing wrong with people looking you up.

I don't have a problem with people looking at my myspace...(which is why it isn't private)...but I draw the line at having to give my employer my username and password.

That is basically just like asking them for your password to your email address so they can read your emails.

Invasion of privacy!!

Emerson1
06-22-2009, 09:37 AM
Seems really really pointless. If anyone has anything incriminating, they can just delete it...

HEMOTOXIC
06-22-2009, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Seems really really pointless. If anyone has anything incriminating, they can just delete it...

I agree with that 100%.

Highschoolfan78
06-22-2009, 01:00 PM
I'm definitely against giving pw information to anyone. However, if you have a job that could be in jeopardy due to having a myspace page displaying unethical information, then they should have a right to view what is displayed. So many view facebook and myspace as an imaginary place where their reputations and careers can not be at stake. Moral of the story is, if you have one of those careers, be wise and smart with what you upload or of what other people are taking pictures of.

Farmersfan
06-22-2009, 01:41 PM
:D :D :D :D :D

It's only a matter of time until they move from credit checks & drug screens to this kind of thing. I predict it will actually get worse than internet inspections. We will eventually get to where they will monitor our checking accounts and revolving charge accounts. How would you feel about a supervisor calling you into his office to tell you they are concerned because you are late on your Sears payment this month???????

STANG RED
06-22-2009, 01:59 PM
"Big brother is watching", and I'll just bet the vast majority of Americans will simply sit back and watch it all happen. Our forefathers must be rolling in their graves.:(

I think it was Ben Franklin that said something about a society being doomed when they start giving up their rights in the name of security. Look around people, and start seeing things for what they truly are.:mad: