View Full Version : 2A baseball but this is tough

3&2count
06-21-2009, 09:48 PM
http://thefacts.com/story.lasso?ewcd=1173730a5358028f

State champion coach Davis out at Danbury

By Joel Luna
The Facts

Published June 21, 2009

Since late March, Danbury head baseball coach Steve Davis knew he wasn’t returning to lead the Panthers next season.

Carrying the added emotional burden of their coach not being retained, the Davis-led Panthers went on a crazy ride that led them straight to the Class 2A state championship with a 6-5 win against Holliday on March 12 in Austin at UFCU Disch-Falk Field.

“I tried not to let it affect anything, but you’ve always got that little pit in your stomach,” Davis said. “You have such a close relationship with all of them, get phone calls or texts from them. And I’ve taught them in class. I’ve watched them grow up and I am so proud of them. Knowing I am not going to have that same relationship with the underclassmen, it has been very difficult.

“Very, very difficult.”

Though he won’t be in the dugout, on the football field sideline or roaming any other sports arena, Davis can remain at Danbury if he wants.

“I’ve got my teaching contract here if I want to stay. But I will not be the baseball coach or any other coach because he (new athletics director Jimmy Thomas) doesn’t want me around the kids,” Davis said. “I’ve not been treated too well.”

On March 27 before the Panthers played Tidehaven in a District 29-2A game, Davis was summoned into Thomas’ office and told of his future at Danbury.

“After about two weeks of him being here — he said I was disloyal and I wasn’t going to be the head baseball coach anymore,” Davis said, breaking his silence for the first time before Danbury headed to the state tournament. “I disputed that, and said I hadn’t been disloyal, that I’ve done everything I can for him and every athletic director we’ve had.

“It wasn’t easy coming in that day, but the kids responded well,” Davis said. “We talked about it before the game and we said it wasn’t going to be a distraction. And as a group, we haven’t discussed it since then.”

Thomas was hired from a pool of 104 applicants for the athletics director and head football coach position in mid-February. He arrived full time in March.

“I can’t go into it; it is a personnel issue,” Thomas said of the move while at the state tournament. “What I want to do is make this as positive as possible and I don’t want to get into it because I don’t think it’s fair to him. That is just something that is between me and him. I just want to thank him for what he’s done.

“Teaching-wise, Davis is still there if he wants to stay,” Thomas said. “I brought in my own baseball coach and that is basically what all of this is.”

Jamie Crocker, who is coming from Friendswood High School, will take over for Davis.

“It hurts a lot, I am not going to lie,” Davis said. “And the kids know, but we said it wasn’t going to be a distraction because we’ve worked too hard for too many years to bring it all down.

“It isn’t just about me, it is about these guys. I’ll be OK one way or the other.”

Davis coached the Panthers for the last eight seasons, compiling a 148-60 record that included three district championships in 2005, 2008 and 2009.

The 2005 title was the first district championship for the program.

Davis guided the Panthers into the playoffs in six of his eight years at the helm. The Panthers made their first playoff appearance in 1997. Davis led the team to its next, and second-ever, postseason in 2003.

In 2004, Danbury won its first playoff game (10-4 over Schulenburg) and first playoff series by sweeping the Shorthorns.

“You think about it, you go from a few years ago when we didn’t even make the playoffs to this year,” senior Scott Zimmerle said on June 9. “We are going to the state tournament and you would think that would be the coach — the one that stays because that is the man that brought it around. And yet he is leaving next year and it is crazy.

“Coach coming to the state tournament and then getting fired, or let off or whatever — that is crazy,” he said.

After the announcement was made about Davis, the Panther squad responded with a 21-2 finish. Their only losses came in a non district game with Conroe Northside (7-1) and in Game 2 of the best-of-three series with Bishop (11-3) in the regional final.

“I was very surprised,” senior Jake DeBerry said. “I figured he’d be the last one to go because he’s always talked about how he’s been here for 19 years and I’ve always said this, ‘He was born else where but he is a true Danbury fan at heart.’ It is weird to see him go. It isn’t something we expected.”

As much as Davis has been affected by the decision, he wasn’t the only head coach at Danbury to be let go. Also replaced was head boys basketball coach Earnest Wilson. Tim Ender will take over the program next season.

But Davis is the one who wound up with a state title in hand.

“When I first arrived here, I got a call and was told this team was 5-97 before I arrived. We are not 5-97 anymore,” Davis said. “I’ve been coach of the year three times and ranked in the top 20 every year since then.

“We’ve done some good things and I am proud of our accomplishments. I just wish everybody was, and for the most part I think most people are.”

turbostud
06-21-2009, 10:06 PM
Wow, that is a good record. 3 district titles and a state title. Does this happen alot in the coaching world?

wildstangs
06-21-2009, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by turbostud
Wow, that is a good record. 3 district titles and a state title. Does this happen alot in the coaching world?

Coaches bring in their own staff all the time. Makes it rough coming off a state championship.

maestro
06-21-2009, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs
Coaches bring in their own staff all the time. Makes it rough coming off a state championship.

yes, i know it happens all over Texas...but i had no idea that 2a coaching ranks were so harsh....

19 years??? kids respect and respond to him???

success on the field????

you'd think that even the most DEDICATED pecan head would find a way to keep him.

shove him down to 7th grade pecan ball if necesary.....

wow...

cannot be a " proud " day in danbury...

Old Dog
06-21-2009, 10:34 PM
I have but one thing to say..............."Dumba$$".

wildstangs
06-21-2009, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by maestro
yes, i know it happens all over Texas...but i had no idea that 2a coaching ranks were so harsh....

19 years??? kids respect and respond to him???

success on the field????

you'd think that even the most DEDICATED pecan head would find a way to keep him.

shove him down to 7th grade pecan ball if necesary.....

wow...

cannot be a " proud " day in danbury...

I agree. You try to find a way to keep him. They did offer to let him continue teaching. He never did say in the article if he was going to do that, or go coach elsewhere.

Trashman
06-21-2009, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Old Dog
I have but one thing to say..............."Dumba$$".

:iagree:

Where the he!! is Danbury?:thinking:

maestro
06-22-2009, 07:27 AM
danbury in the alvin/angleton area...

i always thought that guys cut from angleton could go be stars at danbury..

but just an opinion...

zebrablue2
06-22-2009, 07:52 PM
everything happens for a reason. this coach winning a state c-ship should be able to land another job somewhere. the coach that fired him had better produce, along with the one he is bringing in, or his head will be on the chopping block Real soon. what goes around comes around. the new HC may have made his decision a litte too soon.. good luck to all concerned...

sinton66
06-22-2009, 07:59 PM
If this team returns a bunch, the next guy better hope he can win.

maestro
06-22-2009, 08:16 PM
heard thru a source that it was strictly a business " i want my own guys thing " for his staff...

that's the way it is in Texas....especially when danbury probably has less than 6 or 7 men coaches total???

anyhow....

yes, someone looking for a " winner " for baseball staff might jump on this.

sometimes you just have to " sit and shake your head at these athletic " directors "....

Trashman
06-22-2009, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Danburry is southeast Texas.
Don't be so quick to call out the HC. Could be more to it. He may have actually done something that was disloyal. I can't imagine the supt and school board allowing this to happen if there wasn't just cause.

Not calling anybody out ETB. Just wanted to know where Danbury was.:D I think every HC/AD should be able to hire whom ever he wants. Even if it is stupid to fire the guy that brings you a SC on a silver platter. LOL:rolleyes:

Bull Butter
06-22-2009, 10:12 PM
1. The new AD/FC is already off to a bad start, public relations wise. He better win on the gridiron or things will get ugly, the locals won't cut him any slack.

2. I would hate to be the new baseball coach, because right now, the program has nowhere to go but down. You're coming in to a program and replacing a successful, well-liked coach. He'll catch a lot of heat every time they lose a game.

3. The former baseball coach has a very good W-L record and a State Championship never looks bad on a resume. If he wants to find another job, he shouldn't have any problem.

XMan
06-23-2009, 03:33 PM
I dont know anything about this situation personally but it sucks all around. Most of this is caused by the extreme conflict of interest in having the athletic director being the head coach of a sport. Until Athletic directors are just that, and not the coach of a sport this will contine to happen. It happens a great deal at the small schools. The head baseball and basketball coaches usually are tied into coaching football on the varsity level. When a head football coaching change is made, these guys jobs are on the line and its not really fair. I can imagine this new ad/football coach came in during the middle of baseball season and wanted to baseball coach/players to concentrate on football more and baseball less. What a crock. Its the middle of baseball season, so let the kids do the sport they are in. Let the baseball coach coach the sport he was hired for. Sadly, with all the emphasis placed on football at the small schools this sort of thing will keep happening. On top of everything, Danbury sucks in football and has forever.

Trashman
06-23-2009, 04:28 PM
You'd think so, but the community doesnt seem to be concerned. I have a buddy who's from Danbury, his parents still live there. There's been no outcry, backlash, or even complains from the community on this. The only complaining seems to be the former HBC. Rumor is, he's about to lose his teaching position as well. Supposedly, he's been trying to convince kids not to play for the new HFC, and EVERYONE frowns on that. The plot thickens, indeed.
Seems his best move would be to send out resumes with his W-L record on it and wear his ring to interviews. Someone will hire him, but if what Ive heard is true, and it gets out, he'll have trouble.

If that is indeed the case, then he sould have been fired a long time ago!:rolleyes:

Trashman
06-23-2009, 05:26 PM
I dont think it started until he was reassigned by the HFC. So, who knows what happened before hand, but if true, it does give some validity to the HFC's claim that he was unloyal.
New news; supposedly, the new HFC wanted to reassign him from football to cross country or volleyball(baseball coach's choice) and let him remain the baseball coach. He just didn't want him coaching football. Supt said no way.
This is just 3rd hand info, but it's starting to sound pretty familiar.

As close knit as some of these small towns are, we may never know the real truth.:thinking:

Trashman
06-23-2009, 05:35 PM
True, but one thing we know; the HFC can't fire anyone without the approval of the supt and the school board. So, there's obviously a few other folks on board with this.

Right you are! If nobody in town is raising hell over losing a SC coach, then there is something very, very, wrong.:thinking:

Footballhudini
06-23-2009, 05:40 PM
Rumor is, he's about to lose his teaching position as well. Supposedly, he's been trying to convince kids not to play for the new HFC, and EVERYONE frowns on that. The plot thickens, indeed.

With a football tradition like danburys, the kids might not need much convincing imo

Antec
06-23-2009, 05:51 PM
At one time Danbury had lost 68 straight district games before beating Boling

They were once in same district as East Bernard and Brazos.

Trashman
06-23-2009, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Antec
They were once in same district as East Bernard and Brazos.

Damn.....that will leave a mark.:p

injuredinmelee
06-23-2009, 06:44 PM
isnt this what is happening at 2A Clyde?

wildstangs
06-23-2009, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee

??? Is the new guy at Clyde bringing someone from Rotan?

Trashman
06-23-2009, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee

Haven't heard anything about Clyde; Whats going on there?

injuredinmelee
06-24-2009, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by Trashman
Haven't heard anything about Clyde; Whats going on there?

Martin will have no baseball duties but landed an asst principal job at high school or jr high. He is the only coach the school has ever had. Heard he didnt have a choice.