PDA

View Full Version : Texas plays the greatest baseball team ever starting tonight in baseball

Phil C
06-21-2009, 05:55 PM
It is college baseball and according to some they may as well give the National Championship Trophy to LSU right now and not play the games. They are the greatet team ever. Yes that involves any college, MLB or Cuban National Team. Their hitting, fielding, catching and pitching is the best. No one can compare to their greatest. Not even the great Russian Hockey team of the 60s and 70s, the Michael Jordan led Bulls of the 90s, the Terry Bradshaw Steeler teams of the 70s.
They are the best. Greatest College baseball team ever just the 2005 USC football team was the greatest ever.

Woe is me. :(

Phil C
06-21-2009, 05:57 PM
Doooommmmed! :(

IrishTex
06-21-2009, 06:38 PM
Hang in there Phil. Maybe, just maybe the Longhorns have a shot.

;)

sinton66
06-21-2009, 07:38 PM
LSU looks scary good, but have they played anybody of Texas' quality? Dunno anything about their season. Did they have any common opponents?

Gobbler Fan
06-21-2009, 07:43 PM
USC ring a bell ...the best ever :hand:

turbostud
06-21-2009, 07:45 PM
UT has 2 losses to Rice LSU has 2 wins against Rice.

Old Cardinal
06-21-2009, 08:36 PM
It's maybe a tossup. If I were to guess LSU will edge them out. Next year LSU will be even better.

rcbulldog34
06-21-2009, 08:47 PM
DOOMED

wildstangs
06-21-2009, 08:54 PM
Texas is doing what they need to win games right now. LSU is going to hit the ball extremely well. Hopefully the Horns bats come alive early and often.

Horns in 3.

lulu
06-22-2009, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
It's maybe a tossup. If I were to guess LSU will edge them out. Next year LSU will be even better.

Texas gonna kick their butts Old Card. Hi!

Footballhudini
06-22-2009, 02:45 AM
LSU in 1

after the first thorough beating Texas forefits 2nd game

lulu
06-22-2009, 05:02 AM
Originally posted by Footballhudini
LSU in 1

after the first thorough beating Texas forefits 2nd game

hudini you are crazy..those horns are gonna kill em:D

NastySlot
06-22-2009, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by sinton66
LSU looks scary good, but have they played anybody of Texas' quality? Dunno anything about their season. Did they have any common opponents?

Texas Quality?............do you mean Texas's typical style of play...cause if you mean talent wise.... LSU did win the SEC regular season and tourney( thats a pretty good conference most of there teams weren't all eliminated after regional play).. LSU has a pretty good squad or one as good as Texas.......Big XII regular season and Tourney champs..........who says this is the great team ever.....sounds to me like you re just setting the horns up in case they lose........Texas has a Great ball club and will still be a Great team win or lose this series.

I just hope it's a good one....like the Arizona State/Texas matchups were.

#1 in the polls v. #1 Seed......doesn't get much better.

pirate4state
06-22-2009, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by NastySlot
Texas Quality?............do you mean Texas's typical style of play...cause if you mean talent wise.... LSU did win the SEC regular season and tourney( thats a pretty good conference most of there teams weren't all eliminated after regional play).. LSU has a pretty good squad or one as good as Texas.......Big XII regular season and Tourney champs..........who says this is the great team ever.....sounds to me like you re just setting the horns up in case they lose........Texas has a Great ball club and will still be a Great team win or lose this series.

I just hope it's a good one....like the Arizona State/Texas matchups were.

#1 in the polls v. #1 Seed......doesn't get much better. Agreed.

You can toss out all those common opponents, schedules, etc...it comes down to execution. :nerd: :D

Texas had better get back to playing error free ball or they'll be going home without the brass ring!

Based on what each team has done thus far in the series, LSU has the edge, but I'll be rooting for Texas! :2thumbsup

Looking forward to a GREAT series between 2 heavy weights! HOOK 'EM!

NastySlot
06-22-2009, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Agreed.

You can toss out all those common opponents, schedules, etc...it comes down to execution. :nerd: :D

Texas had better get back to playing error free ball or they'll be going home without the brass ring!

Based on what each team has done thus far in the series, LSU has the edge, but I'll be rooting for Texas! :2thumbsup

Looking forward to a GREAT series between 2 heavy weights! HOOK 'EM!

hey p4s...got a question..not related to this topic.......but do you all have coming back in softball....heard some good things about your squad from this past season....and was interested in what all you have coming back....................sorry not trying to hijack the post.

BwdLions
06-22-2009, 09:26 AM
The difference will be the Texas' pitching staff. I say the Horns beat L$U in 3 games.

pirate4state
06-22-2009, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by NastySlot
hey p4s...got a question..not related to this topic.......but do you all have coming back in softball....heard some good things about your squad from this past season....and was interested in what all you have coming back....................sorry not trying to hijack the post. check your private messages ;)

Ex-Tiger2005
06-22-2009, 09:30 AM
i think texas is hot at the right time! its our year to take home the trophy!

NastySlot
06-22-2009, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Ex-Tiger2005
i think texas is hot at the right time! its our year to take home the trophy!

imo texas has been hot since the k-state series....when they came back to tie game three and prevent the sweep. they then went on a roll..............not a horn fan (aggie)...but growing up in a family with texas alums....i have watched enough horn baseball and this is a very special team..............i do think augie is one of the greatest coaches of all time.

pirate4state
06-22-2009, 10:05 AM
College World Series preview: Texas vs. LSU
Monday, June 22, 2009

Offense

LSU can flat-out bury a team. It has dangerous hitters up and down its lineup and hit seven home runs — including an NCAA record-tying three grand slams — in a 22-10 wipeout of Illinois this year.

Texas has changed its approach to take advantage of southerly breezes that have created an edge for hitters going to left field. Of course, Cameron Rupp hit his mammoth shot over the 408-foot center-field wall for one of the longest ever hit here. Texas is getting production up and down its lineup, same as LSU. The Tigers run more than the Longhorns, but both teams have just one stolen base in the CWS.

Edge: LSU

Defense

LSU's shift of second-round draft pick D.J. LeMahieu (Cubs) from shortstop to second base, with freshman Austin Nola taking over at short, solidified an infield that the school said didn't turn a 6-4-3 double play in its first 20 games. LSU hasn't made an error in Omaha but made two or more in 15 games this season, including four in a super-regional win over Rice. Third baseman Derek Helenihi has a tremendous arm.

Texas' seven CWS errors have come in weird ways, such as normally outstanding shortstop Brandon Loy's errant flip past Travis Tucker and Connor Rowe's drop in center field after fielding a ball on one hop. The Longhorns are much better than they've looked, and third baseman Michael Torres had the defensive game of his career against Arizona State.

Edge: LSU

Starting pitching

The Tigers have a one-two punch that is better than Texas, with tonight's senior starter, Louis Coleman (14-2, 2.68, fifth-round draft pick), and 6-foot-7-inch sophomore Anthony Ranaudo, who will be a first-round pick next June and probably will start Tuesday on three days' rest. Ranaudo pitched six scoreless innings to eliminate Arkansas. There is considerable dropoff with No. 3 LSU starter Austin Ross (6-7, 5.09), who has thrown three CWS innings and been battered for seven hits and three runs.

Texas has a rested ace, Chance Ruffin, for tonight, a rested Taylor Jungmann in relief tonight or as a starter Tuesday and Cole Green ready for Wednesday, if necessary.

Edge: Texas

Bullpen

LSU coach Paul Mainieri said he has 'zero' concern about freshman closer Matty Ott even though he has a 16.20 ERA in two brief, nonsave CWS appearances. A late-inning, wind-aided home run by Arkansas inflicted the most damage. Austin Wood may not have quite the velocity he did earlier in the season, but the senior lefty has tremendous confidence and could be very effective against the four left-handed batters in the LSU lineup, including three of the first four hitters.

Tuesday starter Taylor Jungmann could be used in relief if Texas is trying to nail down a win. Austin Dicharry is a weapon Texas hasn't needed much in Omaha, but he had a rocky debut with four walks and one hit in an inning-plus of work against Arizona State.

Edge:Texas

Intangibles

Texas leads by a wide margin in this drama play that is the College World Series. Granted, LSU has 18 players, including six starters, back from last year's CWS appearance, to Texas' none. But the Longhorns rampaged into the finals with two heart-stopping comeback victories, while the Tigers have won 13 straight games and faced very little adversity. Mainieri doesn't figure to outcoach Garrido, who's making his eighth appearance in the finals, with five national titles to the LSU coach's none.

Edge:Texas

LINK (http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/other/2009/06/22/0622cwscap.html)

BwdLions
06-22-2009, 01:56 PM
I agree with that write-up. L$U is on a roll right now and Texas is doing what it takes to win. Hopefully it will be an entertaining series (and the Horns win :D ).