PDA

View Full Version : Best Places to eat in San Antonio?

PHS Wildcats
06-20-2009, 10:17 PM
My girlfriend and her cousins and family memebrs are going to San Antonio for a few days next month and we plan on going to the Zoo, Fiesta Texas, Sea World and the Riverwalk. Plus I plan on proposing to my girlfriend while there.:clap:

But what are some of the "Can't miss" place to eat or what would you guys recommend?

piratebg
06-20-2009, 10:20 PM
Mi Tierra is a very popular place. Food is pretty good.

sinton66
06-20-2009, 10:25 PM
Favorite place on the riverwalk is Casa Rio. Sidewalk dining right on the river. Good Mexican food, decent prices.

Market Square would be Mi Tierra.

Out on I10 west of 410 is Alamo Cafe. Good Mexican food, in-house tortilla factory.

Near Sea World is Rudy's BBQ.

Bandera Rd. just inside of Loop 1604 is Salsalito's.

Blastoderm55
06-21-2009, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by sinton66
[B]
Out on I10 west of 410 is Alamo Cafe. Good Mexican food, in-house tortilla factory.
[B]

Yes to Alamo Cafe! Cheap beer, chicken fried steak with chile con queso, and all the tortillas you can eat!

griff
06-21-2009, 10:33 AM
Look for Gringo's. There's only one in SA. Very clean restaurant with excellent Mexican food.

ILS1
06-21-2009, 10:42 AM
I prefer La Margarita over Mi Tierra in the Market Square. Just about 2 blocks West of the Market Square is Pico De Gallo. Go West on Commerce Street from I-35 and turn left on Leona St.

:D :D :D

Footballhudini
06-21-2009, 12:04 PM
Here's a true hole in the wall for you

If you're in the mood for some Italian (best in the city as far as I'm concerned), go to Little Italy's off of Blanco and West (north of DT). It's almost hidden behind a building (don't remember which bldg) and looks trashy from the outside with it's broken vegas-type light, but its interior, service, and food will most certainly beat your expectations.

Footballhudini
06-21-2009, 12:07 PM
if you're poor/on the southside, get on military and turn south on pleasanton. about a block down is a rundown taco place called Rolando's Supertacos (I think). Don't quote me on this because we had breakfast there and I was exTREMEly hungover, but those tacos were beasts!

Txbroadcaster
06-21-2009, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
Favorite place on the riverwalk is Casa Rio. Sidewalk dining right on the river. Good Mexican food, decent prices.

we went there on our honeymoon..now anytime in SA, no matter how short the stay, we go stop by and eat there

sinton66
06-21-2009, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
we went there on our honeymoon..now anytime in SA, no matter how short the stay, we go stop by and eat there

I started going there back in about 1965. It's still one of my favorites. I love that place.

BreckTxLonghorn
06-21-2009, 01:11 PM
Chris Madrid's - best burger in town.

Bull Butter
06-21-2009, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Chris Madrid's - best burger in town.

What he said:)

Bull Butter
06-21-2009, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by PHS Wildcats
My girlfriend and her cousins and family memebrs are going to San Antonio for a few days next month and we plan on going to the Zoo, Fiesta Texas, Sea World and the Riverwalk. Plus I plan on proposing to my girlfriend while there.:clap:

But what are some of the "Can't miss" place to eat or what would you guys recommend?

Propose to her at Dick's Last Resort. That should be interesting:D

pirate4state
06-21-2009, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by ILS1
I prefer La Margarita over Mi Tierra in the Market Square. Just about 2 blocks West of the Market Square is Pico De Gallo. Go West on Commerce Street from I-35 and turn left on Leona St.

:D :D :D

I like Pico De Gallo's too. I get a kick out of their decorations. :D

Food & drinks aren't too bad either. ;)

sinton66
06-21-2009, 03:50 PM
For the proposal thing, I'd make it Grey Moss Inn out off IH10 West on Old Scenic Loop near Boerne. Bit of a drive, but worth it.

GreenMonster
06-21-2009, 05:34 PM
The Magic Time Machine was awesome. Good food, great atmosphere and truly a fun experience for all ages. I too proposed in San Antonio. It was July 4 of 2000 and Jerry Jeff Walker was playing a concert on the field after the AA Missions baseball game. Everyone was allowed on the field for the concert so I walked my girl to the home plate area dropped to a knee and popped the question. Almost 9 full years later and we are still going strong. Good luck!

PHS Wildcats
06-21-2009, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
Propose to her at Dick's Last Resort. That should be interesting:D

Don't think so:)

Thanks guys all great suggestions.

Are there any seafood place you would recommend or should I stay away from that?

sinton66
06-21-2009, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by PHS Wildcats
Don't think so:)

Thanks guys all great suggestions.

Are there any seafood place you would recommend or should I stay away from that?

There's a Landry's downtown. Never eaten there but have seen it many times. Should be a Pappadeux's or two there somewhere.

Blastoderm55
06-21-2009, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by griff
Look for Gringo's. There's only one in SA. Very clean restaurant with excellent Mexican food.

The one by a Wal-Mart? Its been renamed. Can't remember what. Doubt its the same stuff. :(

Blastoderm55
06-21-2009, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I like Pico De Gallo's too. I get a kick out of their decorations. :D

Food & drinks aren't too bad either. ;)

We had our rehearsal dinner there! Great eats!

Rabid Cougar
06-21-2009, 09:23 PM
The Menger Hotel for the proposal

Matthew328
06-21-2009, 10:05 PM
La Margarita is better than Mi Tierra for dinner...I like Mi Tierra for breakfast though

SintonFan
06-22-2009, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by griff
I love Gringos, but the only one I knew of in SA was on 410W and Exchange Parkway on the NW side. It is closed down now.:(
That place had really good "slightly different" Mexican food for a decent price.:clap:

SintonFan
06-22-2009, 01:53 AM
I'll let you know about a few places the locals know, but these are not for proposing.:D
Best burgers: Longhorn Cafe or The Lord's Kitchen. Both are good but I'll give Longhorn an edge because they have the best fried mushrooms in town, bar none.:thumbsup: The Lord's Kitchen has humongous burgers. If you love crowds then Chris Madrids is pretty good, too.
Best Mexican Food: asking that about San Antonio is like asking about the best French food in France lol. A decent place to go just for the atmosphere is either Mi Tierra(Downtown, big crowds and good portions) or Mammacitas(IH 10 west between Callahan and Medical) Mammacitas has a unique atmosphere that captures an old Mexican town with a night sky, twinkling and shooting stars and an animated Davy Crockett that comes to life every 10-15 minutes or so and plays his fiddle. The food is OK but they have great fried portobello mushroom appetizers that is worth the money. The place has a great feel to it and the staff is decent.
A good place for Mexican food I like is called Pericos on Bandera road. Good Mexican food and great service.
There really are too many good Mexican food places in San Antonio too list.:)
Best Seafood: San Antonio is not known for seafood. They shouldn't be.:( On the River Walk you will get overpriced seafood, no doubt.
I'm not a big fan of Pappadeaux. I think the place is over-priced. If you like Cajun seafood go to Acadiana on 410 S and Marbach. Decent Cajun food and seafood at decent prices. Sea Island is the San Antonio standard for seafood. It is OK. Several Sea Islands in San Antonio.
Best Steaks: Ruth's Chris... nice but expensive. I don't like paying 10 bucks for potatoes but the steaks are awesome! Atmosphere is good too. Expect to drop a bill for two people here for just the basics. lol Bohanan's Prime Steak & Seafood is supposed to be awesome from those I've talked to but I haven't been there.
Best Chicken Fried Steak:
Lulu's Jailhouse Cafe or Mom's Cafe. Lulus CFS is a lil bigger but not by much. Both are good CFSs for the money. (Mom's Cafe has the best chicken strips in the city imho too) There are several other good CFS places too.:)
I hope this helps. PM me if you need any other info.

Blastoderm55
06-22-2009, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan

Best Chicken Fried Steak:
Lulu's Jailhouse Cafe or Mom's Cafe. Lulus CFS is a lil bigger but not by much. Both are good CFSs for the money. (Mom's Cafe has the best chicken strips in the city imho too) There are several other good CFS places too.:)
I hope this helps. PM me if you need any other info.

Isn't LuLu's closed?

PHS Wildcats
06-23-2009, 07:50 PM
Thanks guys:clap:

bigwood33
06-23-2009, 08:15 PM
My favorite Mexican food in San Antonio is at La Fogata. There is more than one location but I prefer the one on Vance Jackson. Great food and service w/ outstanding margaritas.

http://www.lafogata.com/

hsfootballfan
06-23-2009, 08:49 PM
For the proposal you might want to consider the Chart House restaurant on top of the Tower of the Americas. We went there last July and the steaks were fantastic. (I was surprised at this - all previous occupants had food that was passable at best.) We got there right before sundown so we saw the whole city while it was still light enough to see, had a front-row seat for the magnificent sunset, and then saw all the city lights come up. Very romantic place, but a little on the expensive side. (But then again, makes for a very memorable proposal)

SintonFan
06-23-2009, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
Isn't LuLu's closed?
The downtown one has been closed for some time but the one just North of I-10 is still open, right? I haven't been to that one for a couple of years but they looked to be doing pretty good.
The last couple of years my family has decided to try a new place every other week or so.
One thing I loved about Lulu's was that you could get your huge CFS with a spicy queso instead of the regular gravy.

Blastoderm55
06-23-2009, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
The downtown one has been closed for some time but the one just North of I-10 is still open, right? I haven't been to that one for a couple of years but they looked to be doing pretty good.

My wife was going to take me there after returning from our honeymoon, but she read that after being bought by new owners Lulu's had seen a decrease in business and was forced to close.

SintonFan
06-23-2009, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
My wife was going to take me there after returning from our honeymoon, but she read that after being bought by new owners Lulu's had seen a decrease in business and was forced to close.
I hope you're thinking of Lulu's Jailhouse Cafe(downtown) instead of Lulu's Bakery and Cafe. Follow this link:
Lulu's (http://www.yelp.com/biz/lulus-bakery-and-cafe-san-antonio)
We're gonna have to run by there soon to make sure it is how I remember it.;) And they have awesome sweet rolls!