PDA

View Full Version : Diamond Hill, minus the Jarvis

Twirling Time
06-20-2009, 12:53 AM
Just curious. The school was referenced simply as Diamond Hill for the longest. Any Cowtowners know where the Jarvis part came in?

Twirling Time
06-20-2009, 04:47 AM
Does she know what year that happened? I tried to google Fort Worth ISD and integration and all I get is a bunch of educational doublespeak.

catman
06-20-2009, 09:32 AM
As I recall, integration of the FW schools happened at the start of the '65-'66 school year. Prior to that, there were 4 black high schools in FW. They were Como, I.M.Terrell, Dunbar, and Kirkpatrick. All were closed except for Dunbar when integration occured. Diamond Hill-Jarvis may have picked up some of the former students of Kirkpatrick but I think that Northside HS got most of them. I was going to hs in FW in the early 60s and the name was Diamond Hill-Jarvis at that time. I know there was a community named Diamond Hill, but I don't know the history of the Jarvis name. Perhaps at one time it was Jarvis HS in the community of Diamond Hill. A call to the school principal or visit to the FW Library might provide an answer.