PDA

View Full Version : EUREKA! I found a dvd of the great 1954 wester Silver Lode!

Phil C
06-19-2009, 05:04 PM
I found it at Half Price Book Store in Corpus Christi, Texas. I am so happy. I saw it when it first came out but that was over 50 years ago and I have always wanted to see it. It is Anti McCartyism movie and was influenced by the Gary Cooper Western High Noon. But this is a great western movie that can stand alone. It has a great cast and is filmed in beautiful color. It stars John Payne as the rancher acused of murder, Llizabeth Scott as his bride to be and Dan Duryea as the US Marshall. Duryea is especially good in this as is Delores Moran as Payne's former flame. The dialogues betwen Duryea and Moran are outstanding. Also in the cast as Duryea's deputies are Harry Carey Jr. who was in many of John Wayne's movies, Stuart Whitman who became a top actor and stared in tv's Cimmaron Strip and Alan Hale Jr. who was later to be famous as the skipper on Gilligan's Island.
This movie unfortunately hasn't been on tv lately but hopefully it will be shown soon on TCM, Encore Western or some other channel. It is about 81 minutes long and the story runs continuously during that time. It doesn't have a big fist fight but it does have pleanty of action and suspense and is very enjoyable.

Not as good as Dawn at Socorro of course but very very close. This is a great western and I hope you get to see it. It is available at Amazon and I think on ebay if you want a dvd copy. I have already watched the dvd twice.

PhiI C
06-19-2009, 05:52 PM
Oops! I thought I posted this on the Non-sports forum. I am so sorry for my error. :(

sinton66
06-19-2009, 05:54 PM
off-season, doesn't matter.:D

Old Cardinal
06-19-2009, 06:18 PM
Phil, I just can't remember that movie...I do remember High Noon....

sinton66
06-19-2009, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
Phil, I just can't remember that movie...I do remember High Noon....

me too.

Phil C
06-21-2009, 06:52 PM
It is a great movie. It is similar to High Noon but stands alone well. And the hero is in even more trouble in this movie. He not only is deserted by his "friends' as Gary Cooper was but his "friends" turn against him and it is much worse than just 4 against one. Man that Dan Duryea was a sly villain. He should have been the main villain in High Noon.

It would be great if Silver Lode was remade but with a few changes of course like the great remake they did of 3:10 to Yuma.

Phil C
06-21-2009, 06:53 PM
I don't want to give away the movie's ending but some of you may remember it if I remind you of the church bell tower scene between John Payne and Dan Duryea.