PDA

View Full Version : New turf

modocbear
06-19-2009, 03:34 PM
Waco Lavega has brand new turf and track it is really someting else. It is the exact same field turf as the newCowboys stadium,can't wait for Abilene Wylie and Brownwood to come to Waco and see them get beat on our new turf.

Pick6
06-19-2009, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by modocbear
Waco Lavega has brand new turf and track it is really someting else. It is the exact same field turf as the newCowboys stadium,can't wait for Abilene Wylie and Brownwood to come to Waco and see them get beat on our new turf.

Don't know if anyone told ya yet, but turf stinks. Natural grass is the way to go.

Electus Unus
06-19-2009, 03:48 PM
field turf > grass > astro turf

Pick6
06-19-2009, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Electus Unus
field turf > grass > astro turf

Wrong as usual. Natural, for all things, is the best.

waterboy
06-19-2009, 03:53 PM
FieldTurf is the best artificial surface there is according to most experts. It is more expensive than most other turf in the short-term, but it'll usually pay for itself in less maintenance expense in 10-15 years. Buckeye Stadium in Gilmer has FieldTurf. It looks really cool, and is soft.

Emerson1
06-19-2009, 03:55 PM
Turf > 95% of grass fields

the 5% of grass fields that are actually well kept > turf

Electus Unus
06-19-2009, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
Wrong as usual. Natural, for all things, is the best. The new field turfs are safer for joints than grass.

waterboy
06-19-2009, 04:10 PM
You can still get a little bit of carpet burn, though. It's nothing like it was a few years ago, though, when they just put a thin layer of padding and turf over an asphalt parking lot! Those surfaces were HARD, and sometimes there would be pot-holes under them that you couldn't see. You could definitely get hurt very easily on them.:doh:

Rabid Cougar
06-19-2009, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by modocbear

Yes, It is a big improvement on what was there but I don't know about Bw and AW getting beat.

China Spring also has the same stuff being installed.

Pick6
06-19-2009, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
I'll take fieldturf over grass ANYDAY, I dont care how well it's kept up. Any school district that chooses to lay a natural surface instead of fieldturf today is stupid.

To each his own, I'd take natural grass over fake stuff any day. A nice manicured grass field even looks better than fake grass.

slingshot
06-19-2009, 08:30 PM
To each his own, I'd take natural grass over fake stuff any day. A nice manicured grass field even looks better than fake grass. Grass is great in early fall... by November/December it is dead and worn away and the ground is hard. Field Turf is better in the real world.

Pmoney
06-19-2009, 08:43 PM
Natural grass is better...better looking and better to play on...I, honestly, was kinda disappointed when Snyder got the new field turf this past season

scrub c
06-19-2009, 08:50 PM
To each his own, I'd take natural grass over fake stuff any day. A nice manicured grass field even looks better than fake grass.

no it don't.

Pick6
06-19-2009, 09:16 PM
Asthetics are to each his own, but financially,it's a no-brainer. Same when talking about player safety; no brainer. Fieldturf if much more economical and much safer. Like I said, a district is extremely foolish to choose a new natural surface over fieldturf.

I've seen the reports from Field Turf companies showing how they save money. Their reports are way off. If they save money at all, it's not very much in the long run. You can get a great grass field for 15-20,000. Fertilizer for just twice a year isn't very much. Paint, again not a large cost. Only real extra cost is for watering and mowing. It would take 12-15 years for a grass field to get to the cost of a Turf Field. Turf Fields are usually in the 250,000 and up range.

Pick6
06-19-2009, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by scrub c
no it don't.

Natural Grass

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/178/469323594_c9697fc156.jpg?v=0

sinton66
06-19-2009, 09:37 PM
Heck, real football is supposed to be played in the mud, pouring down rain and wind blowing like the dickens.:D

Pick6
06-19-2009, 09:37 PM
Ive never worked for a district that didn't have turf and was happy about it. Especially with the cost of fuel going up and the risk of weather-related damages to a grass field.

Like I said, to each his own, my personal preference is natural grass and your preference is Turf. Neither is wrong, just a difference of opinion.

Additup
06-19-2009, 10:26 PM
If you're lucky and don't get any rain games, grass fields can take the wear of 5 varsity and 10 subvarsity games a season as long as it's mainitained very carefully and NEVER practiced on. The band better be practicing in the parking lot or it'll never last. Never made it through a soccer season in good shape because of the weather.

Field turf's use is basically unlimited over an 8 year period.

15 games a year vs unlimited use...That's the money side of a good decision - not water, fertilizer, fuel, paint and mowing. How often can it take use?

Take cost and divide it by times used and you'll figure out why it's a great move.

Pick6
06-19-2009, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Additup

Take cost and divide it by times used and you'll figure out why it's a great move.

Like I stated earlier, the money difference isn't that much in the end.

slingshot
06-19-2009, 11:57 PM
The kicker is nobody wants to play playoff games on grass in Nov/December now. You want a shot a scheduling playoff games at your place? Better have turf...

wimbo_pro
06-20-2009, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by waterboy
FieldTurf is the best artificial surface there is according to most experts. It is more expensive than most other turf in the short-term, but it'll usually pay for itself in less maintenance expense in 10-15 years. Buckeye Stadium in Gilmer has FieldTurf. It looks really cool, and is soft.

I think FieldTurf is only good for 8 years or so, so i think your numbers might be off a bit. But, we here in Wimberley have to have it because of our water problems, plus we have no other field for practice.