PDA

View Full Version : Port Isabel vs Liberty Hill

Kakarot
11-22-2003, 10:57 PM
Sounds like a good game, Good Luck Tarpons

<small>[ November 22, 2003, 09:59 PM: Message edited by: Kakarot ]</small>

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-23-2003, 01:14 AM
Dang, Kakarot, haven't seen you on here in ages, what's up, man?

Tell my cuz Lando I said "what's up", and that i'll be at the game next week.

olddog73
11-23-2003, 02:52 AM
Where is the game going to be played?

Tarpon2004
11-23-2003, 04:09 AM
In Seguin

LH Panther Mom
11-23-2003, 08:57 AM
Austin American-Statesman shows Saturday, in Seguin. Anyone know what time?

Mid80'sTarpon
11-23-2003, 09:32 AM
LH Panther Mom:
Austin American-Statesman shows Saturday, in Seguin. Anyone know what time?2 pm.

3afan
11-23-2003, 09:33 AM
surprised anyone is playing on grass this deep in the playoffs (seguin is grass, isn't it?)

LH Panther Mom
11-23-2003, 09:39 AM
3afan:
surprised anyone is playing on grass this deep in the playoffs (seguin is grass, isn't it?)Astro-play.

footballgal
11-23-2003, 10:26 AM
Liberty Hill ousts Yoakum

November 23, 2003

BUDA - The Liberty Hill Panthers intercepted a pass in final seconds to preserve a 23-20 Class 3A, Division II area playoff win over the Yoakum Bulldogs.

Liberty Hill (11-1) advanced to play the winner of Saturday's Hondo-Port Isabel game in the regional round of the playoffs.

The Bulldogs, who finished the year with an 8-4 mark, pulled within 23-20 with 5:59 left in the game when wide receiver Colby Willemon hauled in a Travis Starling pass on third-and-21 and raced 82 yards for a touchdown and Riley Boening added the extra point.

Liberty Hill ran off all but 45 seconds of the clock with a long drive that ended on downs at the Yoakum 2-yard line.

The Bulldogs made it to their own 30 before Liberty Hill intercepted a Starling pass to seal the victory.

The Panthers jumped out to a 16-0 lead. Dexter Hanson scored on a first-quarter 15-yard touchdown run and Liberty Hill added two points on a safety early in the second quarter when the Yoakum punter downed the ball in his own end zone after a bad snap. Just 1:29 later, Casey Kociuba scored on a 41-yard run to make it 16-0.

After Yoakum's Clayton Wimberly recovered a Liberty Hill fumble, the Bulldogs got on the board with two seconds left in the first half on Starling's 2-yard touchdown pass to Jace Braden.

Yoakum pulled within 16-13 in the third quarter on Willemon's 6-yard touchdown pass from Starling.

But Matt Escamilla, who led all rushers with 168 yards on 22 carries, scored on an 8-yard run just 1:16 into the fourth quarter to make it 23-13.

Looks like LH is a running team which is good for PI. My question is RB Escamilla, what kind of back is he? IMO I rather have them face a big back, then a small quick back.

<small>[ November 23, 2003, 09:28 AM: Message edited by: footballgal ]</small>

3afan
11-23-2003, 10:30 AM
3afan:
surprised anyone is playing on grass this deep in the playoffs (seguin is grass, isn't it?)never mind ..........

LH Panther Mom
11-23-2003, 10:52 AM
Footballgal - sorry, I don't have a program handy from this year showing his size, but last year, as a freshman, he was listed as 5'11, 170...I believe he's grown an inch or two since. He can drag people with him. And, just so you know, we have another back, # 12, Kociuba, also a soph. who has over 1500 yds rushing.

Tarpon2004
11-23-2003, 12:27 PM
Sorry Lh Panther Mom...After facing 6 Foot something 200 pound quick running back from Hondo AND after facing TOMMY BLAKE(Last year) who is in a league of his own..I believe the Tarpons will be ready for any running back they throw at us....PEACE!

29x281
11-23-2003, 12:29 PM
Liberty Hill will throw several RBs at you at the same time and you'll have to guess which one has the ball.

LH isn't the most athletic team around, but it's a difficult offensive attack to figure out. They're a solid, unspectacular team that will usually play fairly mistake-free football and make the most of their opportunities.

footballgal
11-23-2003, 12:42 PM
29x281:
Liberty Hill will throw several RBs at you at the same time and you'll have to guess which one has the ball.

LH isn't the most athletic team around, but it's a difficult offensive attack to figure out. They're a solid, unspectacular team that will usually play fairly mistake-free football and make the most of their opportunities.Sounds similar to PI's offense, who have several backs, Missile, Nitro, Trejo, Espinoza, and the QB, get to run the ball alot. Sounds like LH runs a mis-direction type of offense, what PI use to run few years ago, and Lyford (dist 32AAA) runs this year with the OC who ran it in PI. So far looks evenly match, except for the mistake-free football. PI this year, even though is bascially the same team as last year, has not been playing mistake free football, but thanks to the "Seawall defense" who always keeps them in the game. But, like I said this past week, if the offense plays to it's potential they will be very hard to stop. PI is primarly a running team, because of the sucess it has running, but can effectively pass to any of it's RBs or wideouts. Special teams is a plus for PI as they have a all-state punter Jr, Orlando (Lando)Ochoa, (hopefully will be used the least), with his kicks can pin the opponents deep in their territory and a very good kicker who can consistantly hit 45+ yards field goals and hardly ever misses extra points. But if I had to sum up the team with one word it would be speed. And the speed is on both sides of the ball. So astro turf is very welcomed.

<small>[ November 23, 2003, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: footballgal ]</small>

footballgal
11-23-2003, 12:55 PM
http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/images/uploads/11-23HONDO.jpg

Misael (Missile) Iracheta, is brought down by Hondo's RB Gabe Hackebeil, the 6-foot-1, 200-pound back, who had to tackle, since he didn't have too much sucess running the ball. wink

footballgal
11-23-2003, 12:56 PM
LH Panther Mom:
Footballgal - sorry, I don't have a program handy from this year showing his size, but last year, as a freshman, he was listed as 5'11, 170...I believe he's grown an inch or two since. He can drag people with him. And, just so you know, we have another back, # 12, Kociuba, also a soph. who has over 1500 yds rushing.Sounds like you have a lot of talent in your lower classmen. eek! , sounds like our sophomore class from last year, playin' as Juniors this year.

LH Panther Mom
11-23-2003, 12:58 PM
29x281:

LH isn't the most athletic team around, but it's a difficult offensive attack to figure out. They're a solid, unspectacular team that will usually play fairly mistake-free football and make the most of their opportunities.Shhh. I was trying to keep some things secret. wink

footballgal
11-23-2003, 01:08 PM
LH Panther Mom:

29x281:

LH isn't the most athletic team around, but it's a difficult offensive attack to figure out. They're a solid, unspectacular team that will usually play fairly mistake-free football and make the most of their opportunities.Shhh. I was trying to keep some things secret. wink Don't worry LHmom I was thinking the same before posting, but then I realized that both teams will actually see each other on tape. So it really doesn't matter. Right now were just trying to prove each other on paper who can beat who, but we all know that the game is played and won on the field. :)

LH Panther Mom
11-23-2003, 01:16 PM
Footballgal, we've got a lot of talent in our upper classmen as well. Some of them haven't put up as big of numbers as Kociuba, but they cannot be overlooked. As my Burnet friend so eloquently put it, "LH isn't the most athletic team around, but it's a difficult offensive attack to figure out. They're a solid, unspectacular team that will usually play fairly mistake-free football and make the most of their opportunities". Thanks, 29x281, I couldn't have put it better.

I just hope we can make it to the game. Matador is a long way from Seguin.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-23-2003, 01:38 PM
Sounds like Liberty Hill runs either a wishbone, or a Wing-T or Slot-T

If it's a Slot-T, I know that playbook inside and out. All I need to do is tell coach Stumbaugh what's going on..... :D

LH Panther Mom
11-23-2003, 01:43 PM
Guess you'll have to wait till Saturday to find out, huh? wink BTW - have a safe trip - it's a long way home for you.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-23-2003, 03:00 PM
Oh it won't be much of a problem, Panther Mom, i'll be spending Thanksgiving in Katy, TX with my sister, then driving to Seguin from there, about an hour and a half drive.

I like driving long distances anyway. :D

I'm looking forward to seeing what Liberty Hill runs, I hope it's a Slot-T, that's my favorite offense.

<small>[ November 24, 2003, 10:51 PM: Message edited by: TarponFanInNorthTexas ]</small>

footballgal
11-23-2003, 03:41 PM
LH Panther Mom:
Footballgal, we've got a lot of talent in our upper classmen as well. Some of them haven't put up as big of numbers as Kociuba, but they cannot be overlooked. As my Burnet friend so eloquently put it, "LH isn't the most athletic team around, but it's a difficult offensive attack to figure out. They're a solid, unspectacular team that will usually play fairly mistake-free football and make the most of their opportunities". Thanks, 29x281, I couldn't have put it better.

I just hope we can make it to the game. Matador is a long way from Seguin.Didn't mean to imply that your upper classmen weren't talented. I was just stating my obeservation on your current sophomore class. BTW the way 29x281 described your team, it sounds like one of our district foes, La Feria Lions, this season in particular, no one outstanding individual just a team who played hard nose football and played very consistent.

Hope you make it to the game sounds like it will be a dandy. I have a sister in Austin, I am thinking of driving over Friday and Saturday just take off from there, which wouldn't be that far otherwise it would be like 280+ miles to travel all at once.

footballgal
11-23-2003, 03:46 PM
TarponFanInNorthTexas:
Oh it won't be much of a problem, Panther Mom, i'll be spending Thanksgiving in Katy, TX with my sister, then driving to Seguin from there, about an hour and a half drive.

I like driving long distances anyway, and NO I'M NOT A TRUCKER!!!!

I'm looking forward to seeing what Liberty Hill runs, I hope it's a Slot-T, that's my favorite offense.Glad to hear you will finally be able to make a game, and you picked a good one to start. Hope you workout your work schedule, so you don't get fired. wink Like you, I don't mind to travel long distance, we are so use to it, we go everywhere alot of times on weekends. The only time it seems long is when you go to a game and you have to travel far, then you loose, it makes the trip seem even longer. frown

LH Panther Mom
11-23-2003, 03:46 PM
Don't worry, I didn't think you were. I actually realized after I posted about Matt & Casey that I hadn't given any kudos to our upperclassmen - they're the ones I know better, since they played with my son last year.

Kool Tarpon 21
11-23-2003, 09:46 PM
I'm so excited about playing this Saturday. I have been hearing a lot of good things about our opponents. I'm so excited about playing them. I know one thing, if we're both in the third round of playoffs is because we both have pretty good teams. All I can say is that we have to practice as hard we can. We'll try to fix the mistakes we have been making and try to go all out. Well, good luck to all the teams still in the playoffs. Let's go Tarpons. JUST BELIEVE!!!

BHSlover
11-23-2003, 11:19 PM
LH is a very determined team, i wont make a prediction on who will win but i wish both teams good luck!! Way to go panthers!

afflac65
11-23-2003, 11:37 PM
SHOULD BE A GREAT GAME BOTH TEAMS ARE PRETTY EVEN IN SIZE AND SPEED. THIS GAME IS A HARD ONE TO FIGURE OUT... PORT ISABEL HAS BEEN MAKING MENTALL MISTAKES ON THE FIELD AND LIBERTY HILL ISNT IF THAT CONTINUES L.H. WINS THIS ONE BY 7 AND IF NOT THIS GAME IS A PICK-EM....

TALK TO THE WIMBERLY COACHES LAST SATURDAY NIGHT AND THEY SAID THAT RICE CONSOLIDATED SHOULD BEAT DEVINE AND THEN PLAY L.H. FOR THE REGION FINAL..

footballgal
11-24-2003, 12:02 AM
afflac65:

TALK TO THE WIMBERLY COACHES LAST SATURDAY NIGHT AND THEY SAID THAT RICE CONSOLIDATED SHOULD BEAT DEVINE AND THEN PLAY L.H. FOR THE REGION FINAL..Hopefully Tarpons will prove the Wimberly Coaches wrong and will play whomever the winner of that Devine/Rice game in the region IV finals. wink

LET'S GO BIG BLUE!

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-24-2003, 12:44 AM
DataPoll has Liberty Hill a 10 point favorite.
TexasHSFootball.com has LH a 14 point favorite.

People are doubting you, Tarpons. Lets do something about it.

<small>[ November 23, 2003, 11:48 PM: Message edited by: TarponFanInNorthTexas ]</small>

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-24-2003, 10:32 AM
Just verified it with a coach friend of mine from up here....Liberty Hill DOES run a Slot-T.

Know what that means??? PULL OUT ALL THOSE FILMS FROM PI'S 1994 TEAM! Study it well, and pay attention to the backs, they're a dead giveaway to what play is about to be run.

Kool Tarpon 21
11-24-2003, 10:46 AM
We're the underdogs? That's ok. I don't mind being the underdogs. All I can say is that we're going to practice hard and try our best. Win or lose, we're gonna go all out. Well, I have to get ready for practice. Good luck to all the team in the playoffs. JUST BELIEVE!!!

Tiny
11-24-2003, 10:48 AM
TarponFanInNorthTexas:
Just verified it with a coach friend of mine from up here....Liberty Hill DOES run a Slot-T.

Know what that means??? PULL OUT ALL THOSE FILMS FROM PI'S 1994 TEAM! Study it well, and pay attention to the backs, they're a dead giveaway to what play is about to be run.If it is such a dead give away how come no one has stoped it?

LH Panther Mom
11-24-2003, 11:13 AM
Tiny:

TarponFanInNorthTexas:

Know what that means??? PULL OUT ALL THOSE FILMS FROM PI'S 1994 TEAM! Study it well, and pay attention to the backs, they're a dead giveaway to what play is about to be run.If it is such a dead give away how come no one has stoped it?LMAO :D :D :D

PITarpon85
11-24-2003, 12:09 PM
When you run the Slot-T you have to key on three players before you can react to any thing. if you react to quiclkly you run the risk of overrunning the play and giving the offense 4-8 YARDS A PLAY.
The first Key is the COACH. If He establishes a pattern of play calling and who gets tha ball early , he won't change the pattern even if it the scheme isn't working. the Slot-T depends on deception and suprise but it can also be very perdictable. The Slot-T is a feast or famine offense. Either you get it going or it gets bogged down with tired linemen. Second key are the GUARDS. In our Slot-T the strong gaurd is a tell tale sign where the play will end up. In the offense we ran in the late 80's and mid 90's the strong gaurds were usally the one who were the most moblie and not the largest. When the QB is looking left and the gaurds are pulling right the play 9 out of 10 plays the ball will be going right. Think about it for a second, who can block more effectively a QB or gaurd. Third, the QB. he has to complete his fakes to his running back and finish off the play with a fake bootleg to make the play seem beleiveable to the defense. To counter that the defense HAS TO hit the QB every play at the end of every play regaurdless if he has the ball or not. The defense can make the arguemant that he has the ball and that is why he was smacked. After 2 quarters of the SeaWall Defense, he won't complete his fakes as effectively, and give the LineBackers the time to Gang Tackle. Bottom line, LH has one exellent RB. you need at least 3 good backs to make this offense survive the later rounds of the playoffs, especially in 3A. I am confident that the Tarpons and the SeaWall Defense wil come out with a win on Saturday. Good luck to both teams and play like the champions you both are. This is a message to both teams, to get this far in the playoffs is not by chance but a testmate to your strive for excellence and your willingness to belive in your coaches ,even in bad times.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-24-2003, 12:14 PM
Tiny:

TarponFanInNorthTexas:

Know what that means??? PULL OUT ALL THOSE FILMS FROM PI'S 1994 TEAM! Study it well, and pay attention to the backs, they're a dead giveaway to what play is about to be run.If it is such a dead give away how come no one has stoped it?Maybe because your opponents don't know what some of us DO know. We ran the Slot-T back in the early 90s, and still remember it well.

footballgal
11-24-2003, 12:27 PM
TarponFanInNorthTexas:

Tiny:

TarponFanInNorthTexas:

Know what that means??? PULL OUT ALL THOSE FILMS FROM PI'S 1994 TEAM! Study it well, and pay attention to the backs, they're a dead giveaway to what play is about to be run.If it is such a dead give away how come no one has stoped it?Maybe because your opponents don't know what some of us DO know. We ran the Slot-T back in the early 90s, and still remember it well.Hey TFINT, is that exactly what Lyford runs over there with Infante?

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-24-2003, 12:37 PM
It's close, but not quite. Lyford runs a Wing-T. The Slot-T is very similar to the Wing-T, the only difference is the positioning of the backfield.

LH Panther Mom
11-24-2003, 12:40 PM
PITarpon85, we have 3 starting backs we use. One has over 1500 yds, the other 2 over 1000 each. Good luck trying to figure out which one, if any, has the ball. It reminds me of the quarter hidden under 1 of 3 nuts. (I probably just spoke my age, but I guess maybe "mom" does it as well.) Good luck to your team Saturday - I hope all have a safe trip and that there are no injuries.

pirate4state
11-24-2003, 05:21 PM
Just want to wish both schools the best of luck!! Everyone have a safe trip & enjoy the game. May your game be injury free!! GO TARPONS!

Murphy Lee
11-24-2003, 06:47 PM
So Lyford runs the wing T. Can anyone tell me what the Lyford, Port Isabel score was this year?

PAINTBALL
11-24-2003, 06:53 PM
PITarpon85:
When you run the Slot-T you have to key on three players before you can react to any thing. if you react to quiclkly you run the risk of overrunning the play and giving the offense 4-8 YARDS A PLAY.
The first Key is the COACH. If He establishes a pattern of play calling and who gets tha ball early , he won't change the pattern even if it the scheme isn't working. the Slot-T depends on deception and suprise but it can also be very perdictable. The Slot-T is a feast or famine offense. Either you get it going or it gets bogged down with tired linemen. Second key are the GUARDS. In our Slot-T the strong gaurd is a tell tale sign where the play will end up. In the offense we ran in the late 80's and mid 90's the strong gaurds were usally the one who were the most moblie and not the largest. When the QB is looking left and the gaurds are pulling right the play 9 out of 10 plays the ball will be going right. Think about it for a second, who can block more effectively a QB or gaurd. Third, the QB. he has to complete his fakes to his running back and finish off the play with a fake bootleg to make the play seem beleiveable to the defense. To counter that the defense HAS TO hit the QB every play at the end of every play regaurdless if he has the ball or not. The defense can make the arguemant that he has the ball and that is why he was smacked. After 2 quarters of the SeaWall Defense, he won't complete his fakes as effectively, and give the LineBackers the time to Gang Tackle. Bottom line, LH has one exellent RB. you need at least 3 good backs to make this offense survive the later rounds of the playoffs, especially in 3A. I am confident that the Tarpons and the SeaWall Defense wil come out with a win on Saturday. Good luck to both teams and play like the champions you both are. This is a message to both teams, to get this far in the playoffs is not by chance but a testmate to your strive for excellence and your willingness to belive in your coaches ,even in bad times.If your coaches defend Liberty Hill that way you are beat. They are very well coached and run the wing T to perfection. All 4 backs are capable of beating you. The coach has no set pattern of play calling. I pick Liberty Hill by 14. Go Panthers.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-24-2003, 06:57 PM
Keep posting! Some of this is GREAT bulletin board material! :D

Ray_BearKat
11-24-2003, 07:06 PM
This year it was Lyford 39 PI 20.

afflac65
11-24-2003, 07:20 PM
should be a great game. i give the edge to liberty hill.

let me ask you a question do you think the region 4 winner will win a state championship.
and if so which team and if not which team do you think and from what region

TARPON DAD
11-24-2003, 07:24 PM
wel well well, this is gonna be sweet!
everybody all excited, and everything,is gonna
happened on the field.!!!
port isabel is ready i knew it from the start.
hondo didnt know what hit them last week ,
and then with 6 mins. left they tyry picking fights. but that didnt stop the tarpons.!
i got to give props to orange grove,now there a team we can all learn from they have class.
after the game there band comes down and plays ,
for our guys!
that was nice .
any ways back to the game at hand,this is gonna be a great way for port isabel to get the respect they deserve .
i hope there are no injureis at the game or the practice that way there wont be any excuses,when the tarpons win by 14+.
but any ways i know missile is ready as a matter of fact the whole tarpon team is fired up!!!
not to mention the fans!
make some noise port isabel!
lets back our boys!
good luckto LH.

takeing it to the next level !
with class!!!! :D

ONE TEAM ONE GOAL!!

<small>[ November 24, 2003, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: TARPON DAD ]</small>

Tarpon2004
11-24-2003, 07:28 PM
The score was 39-20...P.I had about 120 missed tackles...if you want to assume that LH is gonna beat PI because of how they fared with lyford then you GO AHEAD and think what u want...LOL....GLUCK...PEACE!!

LH Panther Mom
11-24-2003, 07:48 PM
Tarpon fans and players, all I can say is that our players, coaches and fans are just happy to be playing. This year is the only the 3rd year ever LH has made it to round 2 and the 1st year to ever make it past round 2.

Paintball, man you gave it away. eek! I was planning on letting TFINT go to the game thinking we ran the Slot-T. Oh well, it was good while it lasted. wink

<small>[ November 24, 2003, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: LH Panther Mom ]</small>

Ray_BearKat
11-24-2003, 07:52 PM
If LH thinks they can beat PI because Lyford beat them then they're in for a rude awakening. PI went into that game extremely underestimating Lyford and was looking ahead at the Raymondville game. PI will be ready for the fight with LH. Good luck you guys, represent!

footballgal
11-24-2003, 07:57 PM
Good thing we're not the coaching staff, as they are the ones who know best what each team's offense runs. :D

LH Panther Mom
11-24-2003, 08:05 PM
Ray_Bearkat, I am positive that no one in Liberty Hill is presuming that just because Lyford beat PI, and we run the same offense, that we should win. As far as I know, Murphy Lee is not from LH, but is from another town in our district. At any given ballgame, on any given day, one team can beat another. We are thrilled to be playing PI, and if we lose, it will be a disappointment, but at the same time, our players will know that they have accomplished what no team before them has.

Tarpon2004
11-24-2003, 08:08 PM
Tarpon fans and players, all I can say is that our players, coaches and fans are just happy to be playing. This year is the only the 3rd year ever LH has made it to round 2 and the 1st year to ever make it past round 2. Congrats to LH on their accomplishments, us Tarpon fans respect each team and their programs...as you are happy to be this far in the playoffs so are we...

LH Panther Mom...im sure the coaches already saw film so I dont know what the point in trying to trick fans into what yalls offense runs ....I am sure (Cuero native) Coach Stumbaugh has devised a game to plan to prepare the Tarpons....as probably did Liberty Hill...all in all it will come out to who is the better team........

Us Tarpon Fans back our players no matter what ..and we Tarpons have the support of the WHOLE valley....because we all share one thing in common down here.....we are always underestimated when it comes to playing teams outta the valley....We just hope to keep proving people wrong.....I WARN you Liberty Hill...do not underestimate the Tarpons....cuz The Tarpons do not and will not underestimate yall...I have already heard stories on how Liberty Hill expects to win.....they're already looking ahead....one game at a time...that's how the game must be played........GLUCK TO YALL...and once again CONGRATS to LIBERTY HILL for a wonderful season thus far.........PEACE!

<small>[ November 24, 2003, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: Tarpon2004 ]</small>

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-24-2003, 08:26 PM
LH Panther Mom:
I was planning on letting TFINT go to the game thinking we ran the Slot-T. Oh well, it was good while it lasted. wink Well, if it's a Wing-T, then my source was mistaken.....although considering the fact he's an offensive coordinator at the school he's coaching at, I would tend to believe what he tells me.

LH Panther Mom
11-24-2003, 08:36 PM
I never tried to trick anyone, I chose not to disagree with an assumption that was made. Besides, TFINT is in Richardson, so really has no bearing on the game plan or the outcome. I'm fully aware your coaches have film - they probably sent scouts to our game as well. That's the way it works - you try to find out as much about your opponents as possible. I'm a coach's daughter. If there's anyone here in LH looking past PI, they better not be on the football team, because overconfidence is not necessarily a good thing to have. Good luck. :)

Tiny
11-24-2003, 08:46 PM
TarponFanInNorthTexas:

LH Panther Mom:
I was planning on letting TFINT go to the game thinking we ran the Slot-T. Oh well, it was good while it lasted. wink Well, if it's a Wing-T, then my source was mistaken.....although considering the fact he's an offensive coordinator at the school he's coaching at, I would tend to believe what he tells me.Well it is a wing T and their are 3 backs 1500,1,180 and 1,220 yds

bd62
11-24-2003, 10:14 PM
yoakum played p.i. 2 yrs. ago and liberty hill twice. they are similiar in that they get after it for 48 minutes,
i know p.i. had high expectations coming into this year with lots of starters back and playing bandera to the tilt. looks like they are getting back into that form again.
liberty hill is a very sound ballclub that makes very few mistakes. there offensive line is the best we saw this year. there backs run hard but there line is what makes them go. there defense is great against the run. they had most of there starters back from last year on defense. there pass defense is ok but yoakum had a good passing atack this year. the only team we played this year that i rate better than l.h. is cuero. and thats only a slight edge. and we played some good ones including lagrange who is still playing.
i dont make predictions but i bet this one will be worth the price of a ticket.

surfspike
11-24-2003, 10:31 PM
TarponFanInNorthTexas:

You might want to watch who you stereotype. It looks bad on your part.

BULLDOGFAN
11-24-2003, 11:00 PM
Okay, guys my take.

Liberty Hill is an incredibly tough team to play. The misdirections they have are done to perfection. This late in the season they have it down to a science. And being from 25-3A, well I am torn between the two.

But being a Tarpon from 1978, I think this is their year.

The Tarp's neeed to crash the line and look for the turnovers. They will pass rarely and give them that edge while putting every human body on the line filling every slot. This will be a Linebackers dream game. They have to be all out. The Seawall Defense of the 70's needs to be alive and pounding.

Big huge running plays will pull the Tarps ahead.

When Bandera lost to LH, it was on a wet field.

Port Isabel by 21.

But from there on it gets harder.

BurnetBandRules
11-24-2003, 11:08 PM
You know, I don't know much about PI so I am not going to make any predictions. That would be pointless on my part to do so with no idea of the opposing team. I just want to say my part on the LH Coaches, teams and not the least, their fans. One word : WOW! I have seen a good LH team come to our town, and, at that time, score the MOST points on Burnet that entire year. I have seen a team, notice I said TEAM, come to our stadium with their entire family: the most to bring to our stadium all year. CONGRATUALATIONS! I don't think that Burnet has played a more classy group of people than that found in the Hill. I am with ya'll all the way to the end. I want to say that if ya'll win the comming game against PI, be very proud as you have made it VERY far into the play-offs and if you loose, what a SEASON! I wish ya'll the best of luck! GO PANTHERS!

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-24-2003, 11:46 PM
surfspike:

TarponFanInNorthTexas:

I like driving long distances anyway.

You might want to watch who you stereotype. It looks bad on your part.Wasn't meant to be a stereotype. Truckers do drive long distances. There was no disrespect intended to anyone.

I'll edit the original post, I just ask that you also edit the comment from the "quote" in your post....

<small>[ November 24, 2003, 10:50 PM: Message edited by: TarponFanInNorthTexas ]</small>

PI-fan
11-24-2003, 11:59 PM
Well here is a little compilation of picks for the PI vs LH game...

Datapoll has it:
Liberty Hill by 10

Collier-sharp
Liberty Hill by 3

Txfbratings
Port Isabel by 1

Average for all 3:
Liberty Hill by 4

Should be a good close game. PI is improving in the penalty dept. which showed up in the scoreboard last week, less penalties = more drives that are sustainable, thus more points. wink

Good Luck to all the remaining south texas teams and especially the valley teams.

http://www.geocities.com/rgv_fb/ptihelm1.gif http://www.geocities.com/rgv_fb/ptihelm1.gif
GO TARPONS GO!!
http://www.geocities.com/rgv_fb/ptihelm1.gif http://www.geocities.com/rgv_fb/ptihelm1.gif

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-25-2003, 01:32 AM
My rating went from a 4.47 to a 4.3....someone must have given me a 1 bomb.

Oh well, I guess I deserved it with my "trucker" comment.....darn

footballgal
11-25-2003, 09:00 AM
surfspike:

TarponFanInNorthTexas:

You might want to watch who you stereotype. It looks bad on your part.Call me ignorant if you will, but stereotype?? It didn't even cross my mind when he said that, I also wondered why anyone would think it was a stereotype??? :confused:
Isn't a truck drivers primary job to drive and the majority do drive long distance. I know because my husband and I have two friends that are truck drivers. One for a frieght Co. and another is a HEB driver. And both drive long distance, one as a matter of fact is gone all week because the trips are long, and comes in on the weekends. So again, I don't see where it would be a stereotype????? I have read on this board stereotypical comments, but this is not one of them.

<small>[ November 25, 2003, 08:09 AM: Message edited by: footballgal ]</small>

PITarpon85
11-25-2003, 09:49 AM
I look forward going to Seguin and watching the game of the season. Satuirday's Game reminds me of the old saying, "Offense sells tickets but Defense wins championships." Remember last year's Super bowl. Oakland and Tampa Bay. #1 Offense and #1 Defense. Who won? Legacy of The Seawall Defense that was started in the early 70's , contiuned in the 80's and the 90's, is alive and well today. We will win the day. They don't name dominating defenses for nothing. Names like Doomsday, Steel Curtain, Orange Crush are remebered buy those who played against them and those who followed them.Teams that play Us will remember the name SeaWall Defense for years to come. A message for the Tarpons of today, we (former Tarpon Players)proud of y'all and let the rest of the state know that the Blue & Silver wave is coming. And just to let y'all (Football fans) know, we will be flying the pTi flag high and often is Seguin just like it was at Alice. Go Big Blue!

RAIDER96
11-25-2003, 11:43 AM
Sounds like a heck of a match up. You will see some Raider fans at the game if we make it past Devine. We play at noon in the Alamo Dome. So your game will be on the way home for us. And the winner of our game will meet the winner of yours the following week. Gettin good aint it?

Football GOD
11-25-2003, 04:48 PM
SSHHH,QUIETLY SWIMMING NORTH.WARNING STAY OUT OF THE WATER;OR YOU WILL REGRET IT!
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

:mad: :mad: :mad:

RAIDER96
11-25-2003, 05:37 PM
Come on north. The water gets shallow and we love the swamp.

Bongo
11-25-2003, 06:45 PM
Good luck to LH and PI. It looks to be a close game. God bless, drive safe, and stay injury free.

LH Panther Mom
11-25-2003, 07:40 PM
LH & PI folks, have a safe trip. See you Saturday.

<small>[ November 25, 2003, 06:41 PM: Message edited by: LH Panther Mom ]</small>

Kool Tarpon 21
11-25-2003, 08:11 PM
It really doesn't matter what kind of offense they run. They can run the Slot-T or the Wing-T or whatever they want. What matters is that the teams are disciplined and do what the coaches tell them to do. I think it's a Slot-T that the Panthers run, but I'll just do whatever my coach tells me to do. I think we should just wait for the game. I think it's going to be a good game. Yeah, we're the underdogs, but how many times have we been the underdogs? Oh well. I just hope that we're prepared enough for Liberty Hill because we know it's not going to be a pushover. Good luck to everyone in the playoffs. Remember Tarpons, JUST BELIEVE!!!

LH Panther Mom
11-25-2003, 08:45 PM
Have a good game, Kool Tarpon 21.

CheerMom
11-26-2003, 08:51 AM
Good Luck to both teams. Have a safe and injury free game. Hope to be meeting up with one of you next week.
Go Raiders!!!

footballgal
11-26-2003, 09:30 AM
CheerMom:
Good Luck to both teams. Have a safe and injury free game. Hope to be meeting up with one of you next week.
Go Raiders!!!Thanks CheerMom, hopefully we will be meeting next week, if both of our teams win.

Hottogo
11-26-2003, 09:50 AM
Good luck Liberty Hill, we in the district are extreemly proud of you. Bring it all home!

Football GOD
11-26-2003, 10:05 AM
GOOD LUCK TO THE FIGHTING POINT ISABEL TARPONS!
MAY YOUR TEAM'S GOAL BE ACCOMPLISHED.
THANKS TO YOU BOY'S TARPON FOOTBALL IS ALIVE & WELL FOR YEARS TO COME.BIG THUMBS UP GO OUT TO THE TEAM & SUPPORTING STAFF.
CLASS ACT TEAM; GREAT JOB!!!
HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!
GO BLUE-------------------------------------------

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-26-2003, 01:35 PM
Well, i'm out the door, headed to Houston for Thanksgiving at my sister's in Katy.

Tarpons, especially you seniors, KEEP PRACTICING HARD! And don't eat way too much turkey. LOL

I'll make the drive from Houston to Seguin on Saturday to cheer you guys on.

LETS GET A PANTHER!!!!!

footballgal
11-26-2003, 01:59 PM
See you then! Drive Carefully

Finalbob
11-26-2003, 02:39 PM
PITarpon85:
I look forward going to Seguin and watching the game of the season. Satuirday's Game reminds me of the old saying, "Offense sells tickets but Defense wins championships." Remember last year's Super bowl. Oakland and Tampa Bay. #1 Offense and #1 Defense. Who won? Legacy of The Seawall Defense that was started in the early 70's , contiuned in the 80's and the 90's, is alive and well today. We will win the day. They don't name dominating defenses for nothing. Names like Doomsday, Steel Curtain, Orange Crush are remebered buy those who played against them and those who followed them.Teams that play Us will remember the name SeaWall Defense for years to come. A message for the Tarpons of today, we (former Tarpon Players)proud of y'all and let the rest of the state know that the Blue & Silver wave is coming. And just to let y'all (Football fans) know, we will be flying the pTi flag high and often is Seguin just like it was at Alice. Go Big Blue!This is where Liberty Hill is different. We don't name our offense or our defense seperatly, we play as one force... The Purple Thunder!

Ray_BearKat
11-26-2003, 03:17 PM
I like that...the Purple Thunder . To bad its gonna look more like the Purple Flounder on Sat. :D

footballgal
11-26-2003, 07:55 PM
Finalbob:

PITarpon85:
I look forward going to Seguin and watching the game of the season. Satuirday's Game reminds me of the old saying, "Offense sells tickets but Defense wins championships." Remember last year's Super bowl. Oakland and Tampa Bay. #1 Offense and #1 Defense. Who won? Legacy of The Seawall Defense that was started in the early 70's , contiuned in the 80's and the 90's, is alive and well today. We will win the day. They don't name dominating defenses for nothing. Names like Doomsday, Steel Curtain, Orange Crush are remebered buy those who played against them and those who followed them.Teams that play Us will remember the name SeaWall Defense for years to come. A message for the Tarpons of today, we (former Tarpon Players)proud of y'all and let the rest of the state know that the Blue & Silver wave is coming. And just to let y'all (Football fans) know, we will be flying the pTi flag high and often is Seguin just like it was at Alice. Go Big Blue!This is where Liberty Hill is different. We don't name our offense or our defense seperatly, we play as one force... The Purple Thunder!We don't either but the media did and does, so that's where the name comes from, not the players nor the fans. So don't be hatin cuz the defense has a name, wink Again, that was made up by the media back in the 70's. Have to admit though it's very fitting, because of it's traditionally tough defense and considering where PI is located.

<small>[ November 26, 2003, 06:56 PM: Message edited by: footballgal ]</small>

TARPON DAD
11-27-2003, 12:42 PM
i cant wait ,i cant wait ,lord knows i just
CANT WAIT !!!!!
GOOD LUCK TO ALL THE TEAMS ,
I JUST CANT TELL YOU ALL HOW EXCITED I AM,
IM ALSO VERY PROUD OF MY STEP SON .
AND OF COURSETHE ENTIRE TARPON TEAM,COUCHES,AND THE FANS.
AND YOU KNOW I WONT SIT DOWN,THE ENTIRE GAME ,
NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENSTHE TARPONS ARE ON A MISSION.
MISA REMEBER LAST YEAR,
WORK FOR IT ITS YOURS !!!
DONT LET ANYBODY TAKE THAT AWAY FROM YOU.
TARPON FANS MAKE SOME NOISE !!!!!

GO TARPONS GO !
GO TARPONS GO !

ONE TEAM ONE GOAL! wink

Football GOD
11-27-2003, 01:04 PM
yeeha! yeeha!arriba,arriba!!!!
AAHH NO!
GO BLUE!!! YEA BABY YEA!!!!!!!!

Tarpon2004
11-27-2003, 01:28 PM
HEAR THAT?.......ITS THE SEAWALL!!! eek! eek!

SintonFan
11-27-2003, 02:06 PM
This Tarpon team is good, real good.
I'll go with Tarpon's by 10.
Good luck to both teams and have a Happy Thanksgiving! :cool:

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-27-2003, 05:31 PM
Hey y'all. I was fortunate enough to be able to log in from my sister's place in Katy, TX to check in on what has been transpiring since I left Dallass yesterday.

Not much....BUT, I do need some assistance. I'll be heading west on I-10 from Katy, but I need to be sure which exit I need to take to get to Matador Stadium in Seguin.

Can anyone help?

footballgal
11-28-2003, 12:04 AM
TarponFanInNorthTexas:
Hey y'all. I was fortunate enough to be able to log in from my sister's place in Katy, TX to check in on what has been transpiring since I left Dallass yesterday.

Not much....BUT, I do need some assistance. I'll be heading west on I-10 from Katy, but I need to be sure which exit I need to take to get to Matador Stadium in Seguin.

Can anyone help?Hey TFINT, did you get SintonFans map to Madator Stadium?

afflac65
11-28-2003, 02:31 AM
congradulations to both of these teams for making it this far. for whichever team wins this game with probaly play rice consolidated now that will even be a tougher task than both of teams have seen this year advantage in that goes to liberty hill due to they played burnett so they know what to expect......

Tarpon2004
11-28-2003, 10:57 AM
Yea I guess your right afflac...I mean losing 27-24 to the D2 State Champ last year couldn't have helped us all....Damn!....Yall r Lucky...PEACE

turbostud
11-28-2003, 11:00 AM
Good luck Tarpons.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-28-2003, 12:00 PM
footballgal:

TarponFanInNorthTexas:

Can anyone help?Hey TFINT, did you get SintonFans map to Madator Stadium?No ma'am, haven't gotten them yet. Did he PM them to me or are they in another thread? If so, i'm not sure which one to look in.

footballgal
11-28-2003, 01:18 PM
Tarpon2004:
Yea I guess your right afflac...I mean losing 27-24 to the D2 State Champ last year couldn't have helped us all....Damn!....Yall r Lucky...PEACELOL :D

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-28-2003, 01:47 PM
Well, i'm going to get to see some football today.

I'm headed to Katy's Rhodes stadium with my 8th grader nephew to see some 4A playoff action. Waller vs. El Campo.

This will get me all geared up for tomorrow.

GO TARPONS!!!!

Tarpon2004
11-29-2003, 12:41 AM
I just want to wish everyone heading out to this game a safe trip and lets hope for an injury free game.....HEAR THAT?.....ITS THE SEAWALL!!!.. eek! eek!

LH Panther Mom
11-29-2003, 09:12 AM
Tarpon2004:
Yea I guess your right afflac...I mean losing 27-24 to the D2 State Champ last year couldn't have helped us all....Damn!....Yall r Lucky...PEACEWell, if that's what counts, we defeated the D2 State Champ last year in a heck of a game.

footballgal
11-29-2003, 09:02 PM
Congratulations Port Isabel Tarpons, great win!!

Against everybody's predictions(except for the Tarpon faithful), Tarpons upset Liberty Hill and win 35-27!

The Tarpon Seawall Defense was slightly cracked in the 4th QTR, but did not crumble. IMO, what appears to be fatigue on the Tarpon D, too many 2way players. Great Job Misael "Missile", despite the uncharacteristic fumbles, but made up for them. And Johnny "Nitro" Nieto #33, great tough running, very inspiring.

Congrats, to LH, you have some young kids that never gave up, for being so young, that means alot. I am sure we will hear from you next year. Hats off to your QB, can't recall his name at the moment, but he took it upon himself, & carried the team on his shoulders, he made alot of things happen for the Panthers.

Best Wishes next week Tarpons,and for Rice don't look forward past Port Isabel, because if you do you will be disappointed!

<small>[ November 29, 2003, 08:08 PM: Message edited by: footballgal ]</small>

LH Panther Mom
11-29-2003, 09:09 PM
Great job, Port Isabel, on your win. Sorry about the meet & greet - I was thinking they locked the way between sides, but couldn't remember for sure. Maybe next year. BTW Footballgal, QB's name is Dexter Hanson.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-30-2003, 10:59 PM
Here's the article from the Brownsville Herald.

Still Schooling

Tarpons conquer ‘The Hill’

By JASON MCDANIEL
The Brownsville Herald

SEGUIN, Nov. 30, 2003 — In a game bursting with big plays, bruising hits and adrenaline-pumping action, it was the first play of the contest that made all the difference.

Misael ‘Missile’ Iracheta took a pitch from Garbriel Alvarez on the Tarpon’s first play and went 78 yards to the end zone to put Port Isabel on top of Liberty Hill 7-0 just 19 seconds into the game and send the predominantly Tarpon-friendly crowd into a frenzy.

The two teams went on to combine for almost 1,000 yards of total offense, but Liberty Hill never could breach that original seven-point margin, and the Tarpons hung on for a thrilling 35-27 win over the Panthers in the Class 3A Division II regional playoff game here at Matador Stadium in Seguin.

“That was big,” Port Isabel head coach Monty Stumbaugh said about the opening run. “We knew these guys were good and they were going to fight like crazy. They are a lot like us — they’re going to fight hard and never give up. So that was big to be able to get down there and score first.”

Now Port Isabel (9-3) will take its game to an even bigger stage – the state quarterfinals. The Tarpons will face Altair Rice Consolidated at a time and place yet to be determined.

But it almost didn’t happen.

The Tarpons appeared to be in command late in the game, up 35-20 halfway through the final quarter. But Panthers quarterback Dexter Hanson cut the PI lead to eight points on a 20-yard TD run with 3:31 remaining in the game.

Liberty Hill (11-2) then tried an onside kick that worked to perfection, giving them the ball at PI’s 46.

“I was thinking dang, you know,” Stumbaugh said. “It went right through our legs. I was just thinking get a turnover or something please.”

A 27-yard strike to Matt Escimilla took Liberty Hill to the PI 10 and the Panthers looked primed to push the game into overtime.

But the ‘Seawall Defense’ came through and gave their coach exactly what he wanted. On the next play, Escamilla tried a run up the middle but lost the ball, and the Tarpons’ Yasuchie Hoshino recovered it.

Two Tarpons’ first downs later, the clock expired, and the District 32-3A champions were moving on to state.

“We really stepped it up in the last quarter,” said junior cornerback Orlando Ochoa. “I didn’t play well personally, but everybody came together and we did well.”

Actually, they were great. Even the modest Ochoa, whose interception of a Hanson pass saved a TD and preserved Port Isabel’s 7-0 lead at the end of the first quarter.

Never once did the Tarpons look like fish out of water on the regional stage. Port Isabel’s offense turned in one of its most prolific performances, racking up 579 total yards in the biggest game of the season on spectacular big-yardage plays and elusive running.

Nieto and Iracheta led the way for Port Isabel by combining for 497 total yards. Iracheta ran for 209 yards on 20 carries, with 145 coming in the first half, and Nieto racked up 204 yards on 22 carries, with 148 supplied in the second half.

The ‘Missile’ scored the games first two TDs. His second came on a 75-yard pass from Alvarez (86 yards passing, 80 yards rushing) on the Tarpons’ final first half possession.

Once Iracheta broke through the secondary into the open field, the Panthers had no chance of stopping Port Isabel from going up 14-0 with 1:38 left in the half.

“It was a play we haven’t used at all until today,” Iracheta said. “It was just a simple play up the hash, but since they don’t expect us to pass the ball and I was in the backfield, they didn’t expect me to go for a pass. So I just ran and I was wide open for the catch.”

Liberty Hill answered with a strong 8-play drive, culminating with a 4-yard touchdown run from Hanson with one second still showing on the clock in the first half, to keep the score close at 14-7.

And then both offenses started clicking in a wild second half that saw a combined 41 points and 5 touchdowns of more than 20 yards.

Alvarez got the Tarpons started in the third quarter with a 40-yard touchdown run on a 6-play drive that took 2:41.

The Panthers answered in just 1:28 with a 77-yard TD strike to Escamilla from Hanson, making the score 20-13 with 4:58 to go in the third quarter.

But Port Isabel came right back with a 72-yard drive that chewed up over four minutes and ended with Nieto’s first touchdown from five yards out. Alvarez hooked up with Iracheta on the two-point conversion try, putting PI out front 28-13 with 1:09 left in the quarter.

Nieto added one more touchdown for Port Isabel in an impressive second-half display of rushing prowess.

The junior back ran 60 yards to pay dirt to put Port Isabel back up by 15 points after the Panthers pulled to within eight (28-20) on a 32-yard touchdown pass from Hanson (228 yards passing) to Ryan Annes.

“I saw all my line blocking very well, and they opened up a gigantic whole and I just went in,” Nieto said. “I was feeling great in the second half and it feels great to be able to do that it the regional round.”

The Tarpons will spend little time savoring the win, instead turning their attention to a powerful Altair Rice team that crushed Devine 48-7 in their regional playoff game earlier Saturday afternoon at the Alamodome.

“I’m going to enjoy it till I get back (to Brownsville), about 1:30 p.m. tomorrow, and then I’ll start getting ready for Rice,” Stumbaugh said. “We’re going to enjoy it though; go back to work and see if we can figure out how to stay on the field another week.”

And though Stumbaugh was already thinking about what the Tarpons need to do next, he acknowledged how far they have already come.

“It’s a heck of an accomplishment by these young men,” Stumbaugh said. “They’re not the biggest in the world, but they play they’re tail off, they play with heart.

“We set a goal to come back here and we were lucky enough to get it. We set a goal to play in December in we did that. All I know is there’s eight left and we’re one of them.”

Wildcat81
12-01-2003, 06:30 AM
footballgal:
Congratulations Port Isabel Tarpons, great win!!

Against everybody's predictions(except for the Tarpon faithful), Tarpons upset Liberty Hill and win 35-27!

The Tarpon Seawall Defense was slightly cracked in the 4th QTR, but did not crumble. IMO, what appears to be fatigue on the Tarpon D, too many 2way players. Great Job Misael "Missile", despite the uncharacteristic fumbles, but made up for them. And Johnny "Nitro" Nieto #33, great tough running, very inspiring.

Congrats, to LH, you have some young kids that never gave up, for being so young, that means alot. I am sure we will hear from you next year. Hats off to your QB, can't recall his name at the moment, but he took it upon himself, & carried the team on his shoulders, he made alot of things happen for the Panthers.

Best Wishes next week Tarpons,and for Rice don't look forward past Port Isabel, because if you do you will be disappointed!Congrats on the win footballgal.Hope ya'll keep on winning.

footballgal
12-01-2003, 03:50 PM
Wildcat81
Congrats on the win footballgal.Hope ya'll keep on winning.Thanks Wildcat81, for your good wishes, it's much appreciated by me and the players I am sure. :)

footballgal
12-01-2003, 03:53 PM
LH Panther Mom:
Great job, Port Isabel, on your win. Sorry about the meet & greet - I was thinking they locked the way between sides, but couldn't remember for sure. Maybe next year. BTW Footballgal, QB's name is Dexter Hanson.Thanks LH Panther Mom, God willing we can try it again next year. :)